iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Your favorite music video of the 80s? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Your favorite music video of the 80s?
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bandit   Author's Homepage   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For myself that would be"Take on Me" a song by the Norwegian band a-ha.Released in 1985.The innovative video was an amalgamation of rotoscope-style animation and live-action..Ok,i`m Norwegian ;-).But this video did have something new,never seen before.And it did have a great impact on me.Other favorites out there?
Posts: 362 | From: Third rock from the sun | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80sNut
Rewind Curious
Member # 6317

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for 80sNut   Email 80sNut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fav video clip was Berlin- Take my breath away which was used in TOP GUN
Posts: 4 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George Harrison's "I've Got My Mind Set on You" with his study coming to life around him is a personal favorite (probably the rocking grandfather clock is the best part).
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite is VAN HALEN's Hot For Teacher. Twenty years later I still crack up every time I watch it.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris the CandyFanMan:
George Harrison's "I've Got My Mind Set on You" with his study coming to life around him is a personal favorite (probably the rocking grandfather clock is the best part).

Wasn't there actually two videos for that song? I seem to remember another one where a young teenage female looking at a nickelodeon peep-show at an arcade. The teenage boy in that video (can't remember his name right now) later was in the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" TV series.
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I don't remember who was in it, but there were two videos. We used to call that one "The bad one"

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Plasmatics--The Damned

Any video that starts off with a disclaimer can't be all that bad. Throw in a scantily clad woman, a bus crashing through a wall of TVs and an explosion makes this video a guys fantasy.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nice Guy Sammy Hain:
The Plasmatics--The Damned

Any video that starts off with a disclaimer can't be all that bad. Throw in a scantily clad woman, a bus crashing through a wall of TVs and an explosion makes this video a guys fantasy.

"Explosion"? Do you think this was probably Michael Bay's favorite music video before he got into show biz? [Smile]
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
had to be his inspiration
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Police--Wrapped Around Your Finger
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duran Duran-Planet Earth
Madonna-Open your Heart
Cyndi Lauper-She Bop
Micheal Jackson-Thriller
Psychedelic Furs-Love my Way
Helix-Rock you
Megadeth-Peace Sells
Kraut-All twisted
Big Country-In a Big Country
Thompson Twins-Lies
INXS-Original Sin
David Bowie-Ahes to Ashes
Special K-I got a man
Whodini-Freaks come out at night
Motley Crue-Looks that Kill
Cure-Boys Don't Cry
Bananarama-love in the first Degree
Devo-Through being cool
Cro Mags-We gotta know

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bazookajoe
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5794

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bazookajoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Williem Friedkin directed video to Laura Branigan's "Self Control". Beautifully shot and very 80s with those nocturnal blue hues.

Great song too.

http://www.stage6.com/user/Marvin38/video/1686075/Laura-Branigan---Self-control

Posts: 15 | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GoldTransAM
Master Rewinder
Member # 2973

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for GoldTransAM         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
My favorite is VAN HALEN's Hot For Teacher. Twenty years later I still crack up every time I watch it.

Fuse had a series of week long half hour shows about videos that changed the music world. HFT was one of the episodes.
Posts: 191 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bandit   Author's Homepage   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great folks! i`ve found a couple forgotten ones in this thread already.I must track them down on the net..

1.van halen-hot for teacher.
2.Laura Branigan's-Self Control.
3. Berlin- Take my breath away

i also somehow like the band aid video from 85-we are the world.with willie nelson totally missed his first note.somehow it worked though;-)and the hyper cyndi lauper,jumping up and down.(what a great voice)

keep e`m comming.happy new year by the way!

Posts: 362 | From: Third rock from the sun | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilash
Master Rewinder
Member # 6155

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for evilash   Email evilash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dire Straits-Money For Nothin'
Most of Cyndi Lauper's vids
Madonna-Papa Don't Preach (didn't she actually look healthy in that vid?)

Posts: 327 | From: Lebanon, OH | Registered: Oct 2007 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though ot For Teacher is my #1 Fave there are other ones that are high up on my list too

AHA- Take On Me
TOM PETTY- Dont Come Around Here No More
TOM PETTY- Mary Jane's Last Dance
THE CARS- You Might Think
DAVID LEE ROTH- Just A Gigilo
DAVID LEE ROTH- Yankee Rose
POISON- Talk Dirty TO Me
MOTLEY CRUE- Home Sweet Home
JOAN JETT- I Love Rock & Roll
and because it's so funny BILLY SQUIER- Rock Me Tonight

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are all great videos, but, do you remember when Michael Jackson's "Thriller" came out? I've never been a huge MJ fan, but, it was a ground-breaking video for its time...

Just a thought... [Smile]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
right on jdocster04.That was a pretty cool video for its times.It sure deserve being mentioned.I've never been a huge MJ fan myself.But have to give him some credits anyway.
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the end tag there: "Any relation to characters living, dead (or undead) is purely coincidental."
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
booger99
Rewind Curious
Member # 6438

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for booger99   Email booger99   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bazookajoe, I agree with you. That is one of my favorite video's as well.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
I remember when I was in elementary school kids having slumber parties and renting THE MAKING OF THRILLER. Thats how HUGE Michale Jackson and the Thriller video were at that point in time, people based a whole PARTY around watching that video!

Its such a pity that Michael Jackson has become such a joke ... in the 80s he was such a huge phenomena.

bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
i totally agree with you mamamiasweetpeaches.its sad.the thriller album was great.And is still the most selling album of all time as far as i know.but i lost interest during the next few albums..
intothesea13
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 6353

19 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for intothesea13   Author's Homepage   Email intothesea13   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Sunglasses at Night. I thought Corey Hart was so hot then. And I like the older black and white videos Depeche Mode put out in the 80s.
Posts: 21 | From: Fascination Street | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 19  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved all of the ZZ Top videos... Gotta love Top... [Smile]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by intothesea13:
I liked Sunglasses at Night. I thought Corey Hart was so hot then. And I like the older black and white videos Depeche Mode put out in the 80s.

excellent choice.

i also liked rockwell - somebody's watching me &
genesis - land of confusion, just to name a couple.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home