iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 16)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J2ME:
 -

"Lazy preppie Palmer Woodrow hires street-smart Eddie Keaton to go to school for him while he lives it up in Europe."

This was a total blast!

Making The Grade

I love Making The Grade! It's a brilliant movie!
Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Purple Rain tonight as a tribute to Prince....RIP....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I watched Purple Rain too. It aired on Dutch as well as Belgian TV last night.

I hate to be the one to say it, but this isn't particularly a good movie, now is it ?

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this movie Johnny...it's always been one of my "go to" flicks...I've seen it dozens of times. This was one I had seen a lot as a kid, so a great memory I like to revisit often. Love the soundtrack and loved Apollonia!

That being said, unfortunately can't dispue your comments! The acting from everyone in the film (literally...everyone) is about the worst you can see on film...there are points where I even felt embarrassed for the actors! But I still loves it!! The movie poster/album cover is one of the most iconic images from the 80's for me. *Mentioned in another post that my wife bought me the Purple Rain album signed by the entire band...for my 40th birthday!

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Rewatched Brainstorm (1983).

I think that this is very good thinking man´s sci-fi film with a love story twist.
It was a troubled project (wood´s death, studio halt) and one can only wonder how great it would have been without the tragic incident.

However, like i said it´s very good as it is. I love the cinematography, the "brain wave" scenes, the cast did a good job and it just has that magical early 80s feel.
Just check out the scene where Walken takes his wicked bicycle and rides through the night. Pure magic! James Horner´s score is also wonderful.

The only thing that bothered me was the scene where the machines go grazy and the guards stumble around them. Why was this slapstick scene created, one can only wonder.

It´s not a classic though and if you want action, look elsewhere but if you want something different and special, watch this film!

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds cool atomik,I'm going to look at picking it up,dig the cast and the plot sounds way out there so i'd imagine it is one that I'd most probably like!

Cheers for reviewing it.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Man on Fire (1987).

"A former CIA agent, John Creasy, is hired as a bodyguard for a girl in Italy, who becomes the daughter he never had.
When she is abducted, Creasy's fiery rage is unleashed, and despite being badly wounded, embarks on a bloody revenge spree." (IMDb)

This was a pretty mediocre action drama directed by Elie Chouraqui (who?) and i think that Tony Scott´s 2004 version (set in Mexico) is better.
The ´87 film has it´s moments though but i didn´t quite buy the friendship between Creasy (John Glenn) and 12 year old Sam (Jade Malle). The chemistry just wasn´t there.
There were few so-so actions scenes but the picture was too dark. I hope that the Kino Lorber blu-ray improves on that department.

Glenn and Joe Pesci did a good job but i think Malle could have done better.
Brooke Adams´ and Jonathan Pryce´s top billing is a joke, both have about two minutes screen time. Same goes for Danny Aiello.

Tony Scott was the first choice to direct the film already back in the 80s but was too expensive. I´m glad that we finally saw his version in 2004.

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Toxic Avenger (1984)

Schlock-horror movie from the team at Troma, telling the tale of Melvin, a nerdy cleaner at a local gym who, after being tormented by the bullying and overly violent jocks, falls into a drum of toxic waste and becomes Toxie, a deformed creature of immense size and strength who sets about cleaning up the town.

Cue various scenes of overt gore as Toxie foils a series of crimes in a manner that is very... final. This brings him to the attention of the town Mayor (and crime boss) who sets out to get Toxie.

The Toxic Avenger is a prime example of Troma's work. It's violent, blood-splattered fare with plenty of nudity and high jinks, and the characters are almost comic stereotypes (nerds, jocks, barbie-types, cute kids and old dodderers) and whilst definite adult fare, it's played for laughs all the way through. Technically average at best, the movie succeeds due to sheer insanity rather than any tangible measure of quality.

The movie spawned three spin offs and a bunch of merchandise, such was the almost instant cult status of Toxie. Troma's place in 80s folklore was assured.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I should dive in to the Toxic Avenger box i bought some time ago.
I remember bits and pieces from the first one but never seen the other three.

Booger
Master Rewinder
Member # 4569

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Booger   Email Booger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tonight, Cocktail. Sometimes you just wanna see a young Tom Cruise acting and doing it well and having fun.
Posts: 115 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Revisited The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982) [Smile]

"Town Sheriff and regular patron, fights to keep a historical whorehouse open when a TV preacher targets it as the Devils playhouse." (IMDb)

I like this film. It includes many great song and dance numbers featuring Dolly Parton, Charles Durning and Dom DeLuise. Even Burt Reynolds "sings".
Parton is one helluva package in her tight outfits and i love the fact that she can laugh at herself.
Overall a cool early 80s comedy and i was surprised to find out that this was the most successful movie-musical of the whole decade.

-

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a lover of movie musicals but I also really liked The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas, I think mostly to do with the fact that it was so good humoured plus a major bonus being like you said atomik was that all the song and dance numbers were pretty great!

Another major thing was that it looked liked both Burt and Dolly got on like a house on fire which made for some really great chemistry between the two,plus you've got the terrific Reynolds regulars Dom Deluise and Charles Durning in the cast so you can see how it ends up being such a fun watch!

I'm going to grab this off my shelf actually and put it on my to watch pile as it's been quite a while!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched Children of the Night (1985).

"Fact-based drama about a sociology graduate (Kathleen Quinlan) who starts working with teen prostitutes in Hollywood.
The film does not draw back on its depiction of the brutality that the teens face nor of the exploitation
that occurs from the pimps and johns who use them. Pat Benatar's song "Hell Is For Children" is used to set the film's theme." (IMDb)

This was a decent educational tv-film starring Kathleen Quinlan as Lois Lee, Nicholas Campbell, Mario Van Peebles and Lar Park-Lincoln.
few cool street scenes, solid acting from the cast and the Pat Benatar theme tune is a classic of course.
Dr. Lois Lee was the technical consultant here so one would think that it´s more or less based on real events.

Finnish vhs cover sheet
 -

Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vice Versa (1988)
Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent a few hours this weekend revisiting the classic 80s date film (NOT!), Nic Roeg's Bad Timing: A Sensual Obsession. I had't seen it in a while, but it's always been one of my favorites of Roeg's films, probably my second favorite after Don't Look Know. Theresa Russell gives one of the greatest screen performances by an actress, and Art Garfunkel and Harvey Keitel are excellent too. Bad Timing isn't a film for everyone. It's almost the ultimate "feel bad" film about relationships, but it's incredible filmmaking. I saw so many things this time that I hadn't noticed before. For a run there in the 70s and 80s, there was no more innovative director than Nic Roeg.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Burt Reynolds marathon continued with Best Friends (1982).

"When a professional couple who have lived & worked together for many years finally decide to marry,
their sudden betrothal causes many unexpectedly funny and awkward difficulties.
They soon find that being married is often quite different from being "best friends." (IMDb)

Well, i didn´t find this funny and there´s not much romance between Burt and Goldie Hawn.
Their parents are noisy, Burt hates Buffalo snow and Goldie doesn´t like big parties with strange relatives.
Few good moments here like the wedding chapel scene with Richard Libertini and Burt hiding the food Goldie´s mom cooked for him (Mr. Bean took this a little further).
Overall, a subpar effort from Norman Jewison based on the film's writers (Barry Levinson and Valerie Curtin) very own marriage.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I don't know what happened with Best Friends. You have likable, talented stars, a good supporting cast, an ordinarily reliable director, and a screenplay co-written by a guy who later turned into a fine writer-director, but everything is just really flat. It does have a pretty good Oscar-nominated song done by Patti Austin and James Ingram, its one saving grace.

[ 12. May 2016, 15:49: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
That's a pity as I've been wanting to check out Best Friends for an absolute age now,I really like both Burt and Goldie and I had imagined that an on-screen pairing between the two would have been really great but by all accounts this one sounds like it totally misses the mark!

What About The Man That Loved Women do you own that one atomik as that's another i've always been curious about,I know it's directed by Blake Edwards who could also be pretty hit & miss at times!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I have it, warrior but i´m gonna check out few more films before that one.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

I really liked Zalman King's Two Moon Junction infact I own it on Blu Ray but I couldn't really get into this erotic drama that he directed the following year,it felt like it was going absolutely nowhere!

The Rio De Janeiro scenery was lush and I always like Mickey Rourke but this just seemed deadly dull and Carre Otis seriously is one crap actress!

A big stinker!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I love Two Moon Junction and remember that Wild Orchid was ok but nowhere near TMJ.
If you want to see a real Zalman King stinker check out his second film Wildfire. It has Steven Bauer and Linda Fiorentino but nothing happens [Big Grin]

I also have Wild Orchid II: Two Shades of Blue but haven´t watched it yet.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Yeah I liked the casting of Richard Tyson and Sherilyn Fenn in Two Moon and the story i felt was a lot more interesting,Wild Orchid just didn't get out of first gear for me and it sounds much like Wildfire in that nothing happens!

Atomik have you ever seen any of his later 90s output like Delta Of Venus,In Gods Hands which i think is about surfing and the straight to home video sequel Return To Two Moon Junction in which he served as producer,if so are they any good?

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I have Return to Two Moon Junction and while it´s not as good as the original, it´s not a bad film.
It stars Melinda Clarke and if you´ve seen Return of the Living Dead III you know you´re in for a treat [Smile]
I also like the wonderful Georgia locations very much. Just ordered In God´s Hands which seems to be a cool surf flick, almost like a documentary.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Alone in the T-Shirt Zone (1986).

Wow! What a weird, crazy and bizarre film about a T-Shirt Zone employee Michael who´s going to lose his mind.
Very David Lynchian stuff with ultra low-budget and strange characters. Once in a lifetime experience definitely.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
 -

Alone in the T-Shirt Zone (1986).

Wow! What a weird, crazy and bizarre film about a T-Shirt Zone employee Michael who´s going to lose his mind.
Very David Lynchian stuff with ultra low-budget and strange characters. Once in a lifetime experience definitely.

I don't think I've ever heard off this one atomik,there's only one review of it on IMDb which is virtually unheard off - the guy wrote "weird,obscure and not particularly good"

You think atomik you and him might be the only 2 people (apart from the director maybe) on the planet that have actually ever watched it! [Big Grin]

Looking at the cover atomik it actually looks more like a t&a comedy or is that way off the mark?

[ 16. May 2016, 09:51: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home