iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 17)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the cover totally lies.

I remember seeing this film in video stores in the 80s.
There must be lots of guys who rented it back in the day and they must´ve felt like our "hero" Michael here.
They are too ashamed to talk about it so that´s why there´s only one review on IMDb [Big Grin]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's a bad t&a movie you're looking for...

School Spirit hails from 1985, and I sure wish it had stayed there. It basically follows a jock around as he tries to get laid one more time. His problem is that he's dead, having crashed his car the night before in a desperate search for a condom, and is being taken 'there' at midnight. The entire movie is just an excuse to show teenage girls with their tops off, with a wafer thin plot behind it.

Pitiful...

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stroker Ace (1983)

"Stroker Ace, a champion NASCAR driver, is standing at the top of his career, but is getting fed up with having to do as he's told.
In between rebelling against his sponsor (a fried chicken chain)'s promotion gimmicks (like making him dress up in giant chicken suit)
he spends the rest of the movie trying to bed the buxom Pembrook." (IMDb)

Oh boy, this was a lame and silly comedy. Reynolds and his friends having fun but nobody´s laughing.

Burt Reynolds turned down the role of astronaut Garrett Breedlove in Terms of Endearment to do this film.
The role went to Jack Nicholson, who went on to win an Academy Award. Stroker Ace got five Golden Raspberry Award nominations and it´s a miracle that only annoying Jim Nabors won.

The opening credits tune has that Smokey & the Bandit feel and i liked the scene where Loni Anderson passes out and Burt undresses her.
Sounds pretty naughty but it´s just funny [Wink]

Friends first, career....lost?
 -

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
School Spirit hails from 1985, and I sure wish it had stayed there. It basically follows a jock around as he tries to get laid one more time. His problem is that he's dead, having crashed his car the night before in a desperate search for a condom, and is being taken 'there' at midnight. The entire movie is just an excuse to show teenage girls with their tops off, with a wafer thin plot behind it.
Wasn't the premise of most T&A movies excuses to show girls with their tops off? And weren't most of the 'teenagers' in their 20's?

I must admit I never saw this one, but now you have me intrigued... a bad taste T&A movie...

'Stroker Ace' along with 'The Man Who Loved Women' was a one-two punch that submarined Burt's status as America's number 1 male actor.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its definitely no Deliverance but I actually liked Stroker Ace. The scene you mentioned aTomik about undressing Loni is one reason I will rewatch it. looking forward to it.
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
So it´s more Reynolds greatness with The Man Who Loved Women then [Smile]

I´m going to check out School Spirit soon also.

Terd, Burt undresses her a bit and even thinks if he should sleep with her but sad to say no naughty parts in sight [Wink]

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True aTomik, but I remember a bird's eye view two mountains scantilyclad
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Missionary (1982) starring Michael Palin, Maggie Smith, Denholm Elliott, Michael Horden, Graham Crowden, David Suchet and Phoebe Nicholls

-

The life of a missionary, recently returned from a decade in Africa to get married, takes an unexpected twist when he is tasked by the Bishop of London with starting a mission house in the East End for fallen women. Leaving his adoring fiancee in the country, he sets out to raise funds and start his new work.

The first step is getting money, which ends up being simple. He meets the bored wife of an ageing and addled millionaire, and when she demonstrates her attraction for him, he has the cash. Now for the flock.

At first, he's lost in the dark, violent streets of East London. But a few choice meetings, a little more... personal service, and the mission is launched. Against all expectations, it succeeds, due to his... rather unusual methods of attending to his new flock.

Palin is his usual, efficient self here - but surprisingly he gets little chance to stand out because the real stars are the supporting cast. Michael Hordern is hilarious as the absent minded butler with the James May-like sense of direction, whilst Phoebe Nicholls as his patient but adoring fiancee is wonderfully simple and innocent, refusing to understand that the term 'lady tramps' means more than slightly grubby homeless women.

It's a mixture of period piece, bed-hopping farce, and social commentary all wrapped up in a vehicle for Palin that quickly gets overtaken by the rest of the field. It's good, but you really notice that Palin is floundering a bit in the face of so much competition.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Great movie poster, haven´t seen that one before.

I´ve seen the film though but don´t remember much. It was back in the late 80s you see.
Now i want to rewatch it because Phoebe Nicholls was simply awesome in Brideshead Revisited and i would like to see what she can do here.

I have only one problem, i don´t own the film [Smile]

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Phoebe Nicholls is wonderful in this. One of the best comedy performances you could see. Brilliantly underplayed and her wide-eyed look of innocence is a thing to behold...
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Missionary is hilarious, though not quite as good as A Private Function, and Phoebe is brilliant. As much as I think that Michael Palin is a comic genius, she does him better here. Whatever happened to her?
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Smokey and the Bandit 3 (1983)

Ok, i think that this was just as good (or as bad) as part 2.
Lots of stunts, cars and boats chasing one another or flying around. And Gleason sure likes to shoot those one-liners.
It´s a simple film for simple people but never boring. What surprised me was the nudity. Orgies in the motel and the nudist camp, didn´t see those coming.

It was better than i thought but thank god there is no part 4 [Smile]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched Steel Magnolias (1989) and yeah, it´s a pure chick flick but a pretty good one.

"A young beautician, newly arrived in a small Louisiana town, finds work at the local salon, where a small group of women share a close bond of friendship and welcome her into the fold." (IMDb)

I´ve now seen eight films directed by Herbert Ross and i must say that he was a very solid fella.
The cast did a good job but IMDb says that Ross had to kick their butts to do better every once in awhile

Life and relationships dealt through many seasons and parties: easter, wedding, halloween, christmas, birthday and finally funeral.
And after all the sadness, there´s always next easter around the corner.

-

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

OK, three 80s movies over the past weekend...

Firstly, Cavegirl (1985), a low budget t&a comedy about a picked upon doofus who goes back in time during a school field trip and meets a beautiful girl in pre-history. Not that funny, surprisingly little t&a, and low budget effects. However, they at least tried to inject a plot, which is more than can be said for many of these movies.

Then a couple of 80s sci-fi movies, very different in their style and story...

Dune (1984) is David Lynch's vision of Frank Herbert's novel, and it's visually spectacular. The characters all have their dark sides, but the baddies display zero redeeming features whatsoever to distinguish them from the good guys. Starring a host of names, including Patrick Stewart, Jose Ferrer, Sean Young, Sting, Virginia Madsen, Brad Dourif, Sian Phillips, Jurgen Prochnow, Francesca Annis, Max Von Sydow, Freddie Jones, Dean Stockwell and Kyle Maclachlan (yes, Kyle Maclachlan - it is a David Lynch movie after all) the tale of battle for control over the all important spice Melange across four planets transferred well to the big screen.

After this came Cherry 2000 (1987) starring Melanie Griffith, David Andrews, Tim Thomerson and Pamela Gidley. When his android 'wife' is damaged beyond repair, a city boy hires a tracker to take him into the desert to Zone 7 and an abandoned android 'graveyard' in search of an exact match - the infamous "Cherry 2000" model. This means going head to head with Lester, the local warlord. As visions of a dystopian future go, this one lacks the seriousness of most, and the budget of many, however the movie is fun, fast-paced, and Griffith and Thomerson play their roles very well indeed.

David_J
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37430

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for David_J   Email David_J   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First was fast times at ridgemont high excellent film loved Sean Penn in this jennifer jason leigh was definitely my favourite character though all sway liked her the next movie I watched was

ferris bueller's day off I absolutely love this movie I first watched it back in 1989 and was so hooked in fact out of all the 80s movies I have I watched this one the most I love the ending it always get me hyped up when he is running to get back home even though I know what happens I still love it to this day.

Posts: 26 | Registered: May 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David_J
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37430

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for David_J   Email David_J   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched out of bounds for the first time i thought it was a really good action packed movie has you on the edge of your seat till the very end will definitely watch it again.
Posts: 26 | Registered: May 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best thing about Out of Bounds for me was the really excellent soundtrack by the great Stewart Copeland. Some of his TV and movie work was exceptional, like The Equalizer and Rumble Fish.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David_J
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37430

Rate Member
Just watched that was then this is now another film I have totally enjoyed. This film was from the creator of rumble fish (another film on my list to watch) the chemistry between the two characters was great will definitely watch again.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Rumble Fish a few nights back David,i really enjoy it,i think it's an awesome movie and I'm also a big fan of That was Then This Is Now.

The soundtracks cool as well with Oingo Boingo's Just Another Day - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3z7n_oingo-boingo-just-another-day_music .

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I am not a fan of S.E. Hinton's books, and--ducking--I think that The Outsiders is one of Coppola's worst films, but Rumble Fish is awesome. It has a unique look and feel: The cinematography is great, the acting is excellent, and Stewart Copeland contributes his best movie score ever, all atonal jagged motifs with drums and pseudo ticking clocks. It's a pleasure to watch such creativity to enliven such ummmm, mediocore, material.
David_J
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37430

Rate Member
Just watched Mask the movie about Rocky Dennis I remember watching it in the 80s but never after that really enjoyed this movie very powerful true story.
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Agree David J.

Watched vacation twice. Can't get enough. Still noticing things I hadn't before even after seeing it so many times.

David_J
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37430

Rate Member
Just watched Rumble Fish definitely a good film and well worth watching to. I will definitely buy this film now am looking forward to watching it again.
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Legal Eagles (1986) starring Robert Redford, Debra Winger and Daryl Hannah.

-

One of the many good things to come from 80s movie culture was an ability to do rom-coms that incorporated a strong, gripping plot. This has the love/hate/love relationship between two lawyers (Redford and Winger) as the backdrop to a murder and fraud case spanning eighteen years and a beautiful, if slightly unhinged young woman (Hannah). With a supporting cast including Brian Dennehey and Terence Stamp, it's slick, funny and just as enjoyable as when I last watched it, at least a decade ago...

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pleased you enjoyed Rumble Fish David it's definitely a cool flick,never seen Legal Eagles Paul but it sounds good,i know there only supporting cast but I really like both Brian Dennehey and Terence Stamp.
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home