iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome to hear all this love for - gotcha,it's a really fun film!

-

Watched the 1985 sequel - avenging angel last night starring Betsy russell, Susan tyrrell and Rory calhoun,it's a daft (very) but fun sequel to the previous years much superior - angel which had the actress Donna Wilkes then playing the part of the young Hollywood prostitute 'angel',here you have the beautiful Betsy Russell taking over the role and I think she plays the part more than competently enough but I must say that overall i still think i prefered donna Wilkes in the (angel) role.

-

Strange thing about this instalment for me is that for the first 10 - 15 minutes the movie opens with a bang and contains all sorts of violent and sleazy action that you'd expect from this type of exploitation flick and for that brief moment it actually felt like it might live up to the 1984 original but then all of a sudden it takes a drastic change in tone and things just get all seriously daft and camp,I know the first one was pretty camp at times but this one can go to extremes.

-

Reminded me a bit of the first time I watched - Halloween 5 and the comedy cops turned up on the scene and they have that clown type music playing in the background and it all becomes seriously cringeworthy, well parts of this have that exact same feel.

The 1984 original had a great Craig safan score,it also had the late great **** Shawn in the role of the transvestite Mae,cliff gorman in the role of Lt. Andrews and John diehl as the creepy boulevard killer,lastly it had future director Andrew Davis (the fugitive) in charge of cinematography and with all that missing this time round it's no wonder this sequel doesn't quite compete.

I have actually watched this one before but way back and my memory of it was very vague - i think At the end of the day it's a fun follow on but still a definite disappointment when compared with what went before it - 6.5/10.

https://youtu.be/F073rJOBAzo - avenging angel (1985) trailer.

-

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warrior.. Betsy Russell has to be one of the hottest chicks today from the 80s. Her present look makes her 80s looks look pedestrian, not that she was by any means.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, is that a recent Betsy photo? Not bad. Haha, i didn´t remember that the Angel sequel was that daft. Should rewatch it myself.
And hey, here´s another who likes Gotcha! [Cool]

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smokin hot!! WHOOOO!

Saw Avenging Angel listed in the TV guide but it ended up being some western. Kinda wanted to see it.

Speaking of GOTCHA. I noticed in the classroom scene with the tiger , there is a student wearing a red sweatshirt with 2 big white letters on the front of it, the letters are "AB". It looks like a tribute to Revenge of the Nerds to me. Maybe not. Also the professor is Dean Ulich from ROTN.

Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alex Rocco was in Gotcha too. I think we forgot to mention him in the 'In Memoriam' thread.
He sadly passed away last summer at the age of 79. Very fine actor !

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Not sure how new that pic of her is atomik but this one of Betsy Russell is supposed to be from 2015 and she still looks pretty darn hot to me!

Avenging angel I do think is fun,it's definitely silly alright,the scene where they get Rory calhoun out of the sanatarium resemble something out of a Benny hill sketch or a 'carry on' movie - where there pushing him round the corridors on a hospital bed with the staff chasing after them and then down a slope and the bed hits there waiting van which happens to have the doors ajar and he goes flying in [Big Grin]

Yeah i definitely think it's fun overall but i do think it's way inferior to its predecessor!

-

Alex Rocco - I didn't know he had passed away johnny,he was a great actor! :

[ 29. December 2015, 16:38: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Talking of daft scenes in movies can anyone else remember the clown cops in - Halloween 5 and how out of place the scenes felt,who's ever idea that was talk about embarrassing [Embarrassed]

Wish I could find a clip of it on YouTube.

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
Alex Rocco - I didn't know he had passed away johnny,he was a great actor! :

Definitely ! It's Moe Greene !

Nuff said ! [Cool]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

watched this last night - world gone wild starring michael pare,bruce dern,alan autry (southern comfort),adam ant and the beautiful catherine mary stuart - i thought overall this was pretty good fun and it features some serious overacting on the behalf of brit popstar adam ant as the villain of the piece - derek abernathy (now that's threatening name for a villian if i've ever heard one [Big Grin] ).

-

catherine mary stuart looks stunning here as usual and bruce dern makes for a fun character in that of the trippy camp leader ethan,then there is michael pare of - street's of fire fame who is great here once again as the hero of the day and i know i mentioned earlier about adam ant's overacting but it does add greatly to the overall fun of the film and here he makes for the perfect villian in the dastardly derek.

the huge black dude who wears this outrageous purple outfit throughout (right hand side of the poster laying down) the whole movie i kept thinking it was the american wrestler - tommy 'tiny' lister http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001474/?ref_=tt_cl_t14 but it turns out it wasn't him at all and that it was the late - julius carry who played the villian - sho'nuff in the 1984 cult classic - the last dragon.

-

yeah i say definitely check this one out,it's got countless exploisons,gunfights,death by rattle snake, the wackiness of adam ant plus bruce dern and if that's not enough for ya you can always spend the whole movie just gazing at the beautiful catherine mary stewart.

great fun 7/10

https://youtu.be/tLxabsH6_rg - world gone wild trailer (1987)

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely a fun film with a great cast. Damn, it´s hard to get past those Betsy pics... [Big Grin]
Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Yeah,Betsy sure does look great!

-

Watched the 1987 comedy - like father like son for the first time in an absolute age the other day and i'm sure i used to always think of this as being one of the weakest in the long line of body swap comedies (18 again,big,vice versa etc) that they made during the 80s but watching it again now I've certainly changed my opinion about it as I now do think it's every bit as entertaining as the rest of the bunch!

Quite funny in parts,laugh out loud so in places and with a likeable cast - dudley Moore,kirk Cameron,Sean astin (who I had completely forgotten about appearring here),Catherine hicks etc. this is actually a pretty underatted and entertaining comedy that i think deserves a bit more recognition!

Great fun 7.5/10.

https://youtu.be/lEUCyD_ydqs - like father like son trailer (1987).

-

[ 06. January 2016, 09:56: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Like Father Like Son is definitely as good as the other swap films.
Astin has lots of great dialog in it and the soundtrack rocks. They even visit Autograph concert!

kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Quicksilver for the first time last week...I loved it! Sat on my shelf for years and I always passed as I didn't think a movie about bike messengers would cut it. A great 80's feel with everything I like to see in an 80's movie, and lots of familiar faces. Nice to know I can still find some gems in my collection and enjoy them for the first time. Hunting down the Blu-ray now. I also found a CD copy of the soundtrack a few years ago at a flea market!
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Howdy ho, kev. Nice to hear from ya!

Quicksilver is an entertaining film and it´s cool that you finally had the guts to watch it [Smile]
I own the nice & upbeat soundtrack on lp.

kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers aTomik! My goal is to explore some 80's movies I've never seen....may post a list soon to get some recommendations.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
How's it going kevdug? I've got - quicksilver recorded on my hard drive,I'll check it out when I get chance,I have seen it a couple of times before but way,way back!

I'll keep this really short and sweet as its getting pretty late here but tonight I watched -

-

Black moon rising (1986).

Awesome 80s action thriller this one starring Tommy Lee Jones and Linda Hamilton and based on a story by John carpenter.

Well worth checking out - 8/10.

https://youtu.be/MFD9P-QupFs - black moon rising trailer.

[ 09. January 2016, 17:08: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"The misadventures of three students in medical school."

A decent T&A flick.

Henry Small - "Sometimes You Win"

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Loved Black Moon Rising. Been a long time. I've been keeping an eye out for it but no luck yet except a cheap quality copy which I would rather not spend money on. The only scene I remember is when Tommy Lee was under the car and somebody kicked him in the jimmy
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the sound of Black Moon Rising. It's on YT, so I'll be watching it tonight.
Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Black moon rising is well worth a watch j2me,well I like it anyway,it's got a cool cast and plot and some pretty nifty action scenes!

The version to get terd if you see it about is the old us anchorbay edition dvd which I've got,it's in wide-screen with a pretty awesome picture quality plus I think it's the only version with 5.1 surround sound.

That scene you talk about terd where tommy lee Jones gets kicked in his crown jewels was originally cut over here in the uk when it was originally released by are (at the time over strict) film censors - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090735/alternateversions?ref_=tt_ql_trv_5 but is now available uncut!

[ 09. January 2016, 17:11: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey kevdug, I love Quicksilver! I hold a special fondness for it. I went to see it with my ex boyfriend on our first date, while he was pledging a fraternity and they didn't have anything going on that night. We had just been waiting for the opportunity to go on a date.
It's a cool movie with Kevin Bacon and a few well known 80's comics!

Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Hey warrior...how ya been? Actually hadn't heard of Black Moon Rising...looks to be worth checking out.

That's cool Pitts...I must have been in the perfect frame of mind....watched it for the first time at age 42 and I like it as much as some of my old favs! I really liked the scenery...neat busy city shots, cool loft apartment, and a little crush on Kevin Bacon's girlfriend in the movie! [Eek!]

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by J2ME:
I like the sound of Black Moon Rising. It's on YT, so I'll be watching it tonight.

Well, that never happened. I ended up watching:

-

"Fighting against pirates in "old Hong Kong". Chinese costume drama with plenty of over-the-top tongue in cheek action."

Classic Jackie!

Project A Theme

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Black Moon Rising, Stitches and Project A, all good stuff!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched Places in the Heart (1984) and Rage of Honor (1987) last weekend.

Places in the Heart was a decent drama set in the great depression era Texas. Decent film but nothing i would rave about.
Good cast but i wonder how Sally Field won the Oscar. She did her job but there was nothing spectacular in her performance.

Rage of Honor was a big disappointment.
Lots of action in the film but so boring. Pretty weak choreographies (designed by Kosugi himself) and lacks blood and guts.

These are the stupidest ninja costumes i´ve ever seen [Big Grin]
 -

[ 11. January 2016, 21:59: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home