iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 8)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never seen Ms.45 but heard a lot about it,really like - China girl and - king of new York but can't remember much about the - bad lieutenant apart from it ends rather downbeat and abruptly but I suppose that's the norm for Ferrara.

He's definitely not someone who goes along with the normal Hollywood happy endings [Big Grin]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And then there was his one infamous talk show appearance on The Conan O'Brien Show. (As I recall it was around the time of The Funeral.) He was drunk off his a**, and you could visibly see the look of horror in O'Brien's eyes. Ferrara rambled on about strip bars for a few minutes, they cut to a commercial, and when they came back, he was off the couch without a word. As I recall, it might have been at Cannes or something, but he gave press interviews from inside his hotel wardrobe. LOL

You will love Ms. 45. It still shows the scuzzy side of NYC, but it's amazingly stylish and has this wonderful, blaring saxophone on the soundtrack. (I think one of the cuts played during a party scene is actually called "Ms. 45 Disco" in the end credits. [Smile] )

[ 01. December 2015, 11:54: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
As I recall, I might have been at Cannes or something, but he gave press interviews from inside his hotel wardrobe.

I remember this !

There has been an interview where he talked to a Dutch film-journalist, and during the interview he had
an assistant there who made sure he didn't fall over.. literally ! He was completely wasted ! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Fear City! Never seen Ms .45 but The Driller Killer is crazy and cheap fun and King of New York rocks.
Bad Lieutenant is cool and i also like Body Snatchers. Only seen China Girl once in the late 80s so i need to rewatch that one.
I also have Cat Chaser and Snake Eyes on the shelf.

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Hmmm... this is a hard one to judge, or even label. I guess courtroom romance comedy thriller about covers it. Some of it works, some of it doesn't. But overall I found this a, for the most part, charming and pleasant experience.

Redford is always solid, Debra Winger is a little shaky in her role, but appealing nonetheless, and Daryl Hannah, while nice to look at, not much of a thespian at this time. But throw in the likes of Brian Dennehy, Terence Stamp and Roscoe Lee Browne and it all evens out.

Some of the material has a real old Hollywood feel to it, while some of it feels very (80's) contempo, like a weird performance art scene and some modern (80's) action beats. In all honesty it maybe doesn't gel that well, and yet I have no major complaints about Legal Eagles as a piece of harmless entertainment. I enjoyed it despite its flaws.

Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. It´s lightweight old school entertainment with 80s touch and strong cast.
Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slightly underwhelming, considering it was Reitman's follow-up to Ghostbusters, but not a bad movie by any means.

Also watched...

-

Hadn't seen this before and was positively surprised. But then again, I don't think i've ever seen a bad performance from James Woods, who works really well in this dark and noirish material. Obsessed cop chases a psycho killer through the filthy underbelly of Hollywood etc. I thought this film was really effective and quite the underrated gem I guess, since I never heard much about it anywhere. Certainly recommended for cops n' crime enthusiasts.

Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw COP at the theatre so its been awhile but thought it was very good. Woods was hot at the time and delivered. I recommend
Posts: 1991 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
Woods cranked out some memorable performances in the 80's for sure... Videodrome, Once Upon a Time in America, Against All Odds, Salvador, Bestseller, Cop and well into the 90's and beyond.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Cop is a good movie and i´m a big James Woods fan too.
April Fool
Senior Rewinder
Member # 37390

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for April Fool   Email April Fool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched "CLASS", I love that movie, love when Rob Lowe goes to his home at Christmas time.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Oct 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Beaches the other night. And yeah made me feel real old because all I thinking is how young Mayim Bialik was.. [Eek!]

-

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched Target (1985) and found it quite average cold war spy flick to tell the truth.
Solid acting and few car chases but the film just never burst into flames (well, there´s explosions in the end but you know what i mean [Smile] ) .
It´s also a bit too long, almost two hours. Decent stuff but nothing extraordinary.

Watched also The Believers (1987) last weekend.

"A New York psychiatrist finds that a voodoo cult, which believes in child sacrifice, has a keen interest in his own son."

This one is much better film and Martin Sheen gives a fantastic performance!
Robert Loggia, Helen Shaver and Harley Cross co-star and you can also see quality actors like Harris Yulin, Lee Richardson and Richard Masur is smaller roles.
John Schlesinger directed this one and Mark Frost (Twin Peaks) did the screenplay based on Nicolas Conde´s ´82 novel.
Few nasty scenes, the tension builds up nicely and once again J. Peter Robinson has created few cool synth melodies.
I remember seeing this one back in the late 80s so it was about time to rewatch it. Recommended!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like both - target and - the believers,not seen the believers for quite some time but do remember it having a pretty creepy atmosphere to it.

sad about robert loggia passing the other day,when i looked up his performances i realised
just how many of my faves that he's appeared in!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
High School USA. This isn't real good but it is watchable due to the 80s nostalgia and plenty of well known faces that appear in it.
Posts: 1991 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will grow on you. A couple of views is necessary. It's just very light hearted and easy to watch and I love the typical 80s faces in it.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember The Believers. I'm fairly sure my parents had it on VHS, but I guess my Mother gave away all of their VHS tapes, as there are none left.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember The Believers. I'm fairly sure my parents had it on VHS, but I guess my Mother gave away all of their VHS tapes, as there are none left.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Very entertaining Charles bronson sleazefest from 1989 which has our main man trying to take down a real lowlife L.A pimp called duke (superbly played by Juan Fernandez) who has kidnapped a young Japanese girl for use in a sex ring.

Technically very well made which comes as no real surprise when you see it was helmed by veteran director and charles Bronson regular - j. Lee Thompson who I think I have counted this right worked (directing) with Bronson an incredible 9 times.

-
bronson dishing out the justice to lowlife L.A pimp 'duke' by making him swallow his rolex.

This was to be j Lee Thompson's very last movie before his death some 13 years later in 2002 and also the very last picture that charles Bronson would do for cannon films though he would go on to work with one of the brothers (Golan) for one last time in 1994's - death wish 5 .

-
charles bronson doing an action man figure kick!

Looking down the list of Bronson's and director j. Lee Thompson's work together this is certainly not one of there strongest entries,in all truth it's leaning more towards the bottom of the pile but with that being said it's still a well made film and it's also always a blast to watch a then 67 year old charles Bronson kicking some major butt!

Sleazy 80s fun from cannon film's and I'd give a solid 7 out of 10.

https://youtu.be/piuP-1wtc18 - kinjite forbidden subjects trailer.

[ 16. December 2015, 16:40: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)  -

"After rescuing Han Solo from the palace of Jabba the Hutt, the rebels attempt to destroy the second Death Star, while Luke struggles to make Vader return from the dark side of the Force."

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
That original - return of the jedi artwork is awesome j2me,I saw -stikes back and - Jedi in the theatres when first released,both were great fun and both were perfect for that big screen experience!

The 1977 original is still my favourite though.

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

They LIve
GOTCHA
Real Genius
9 TO 5

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

All great films there terdnthepoolggb,what did you think of - gotcha? - I think it's pretty underrated myself!

I liked the thereza bazar title song also - https://youtu.be/RaCt5oRUEX4

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Warrior.. I have liked GOTCHA since the day I saw it in the theater. To this day, I don't think there is anything about it I don't like. It does a great job of taking one back to the 80s, especially the game of TAG which was big at that time. Being sweet on Linda helps. I have always liked her. My copy shows her nude.
Most memorable line is "why are you in such a hurry to leave Zuh DDR"
Noticed Nick Corri is in Along Came Polly the other day.

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GOTCHA! is awesome!
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home