iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Warrior. Sydney Penny was much hotter with her normal voice.
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another sad and tragic waste of a young attractive life [Big Grin]
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Really great 1988 action comedy featuring terrific performances from Robert de niro,Charles grodin,Dennis farina,yaphet kotto and John ashton.

Very funny in parts and featuring a cool Danny elfman music score
https://youtu.be/xCVFEvVYdwk this immensely enjoyable 126 minute long chase thriller just flies by!

Superbly directed by martin brest who has a few notable directing credits to his name such as beverley hills cop,scent of a woman and meet Joe black but who has since more or less vanished from the hollywood scene after the critical panning of his 2003 jlo Ben affleck romance gigli.

Very Highly recommended 8.5/10.

-

How bad is midnight run director martin Brest's 2003 jlo Ben affleck romance gigli - only 2.4 on imdb i'm guessing it's pretty bad!

Anyone here ever caught it?

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Midnight Run is a classic! I´ve stayed far away from Gigli but sometimes it´s fun to watch these "disaster" films [Big Grin]
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Class of Nuke ´Em High (1986) which was pretty damn good.
Lots of great and wacky characters, fun special effects and gore, excellent soundtrack and some nudity.
I´ve seen few scenes before but this was the first time i watched the entire film (the Arrow release).
Loved the school scenes and the whole movie was very well made for such a low budget feature. It is a Troma film after all.
I´m gonna check out the sequel next.

Tromaville High girls partying. Pretty leading lady Chrissy (Janelle Brady) on the right.
 -

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched Playing for Keeps (1986) which was pretty decent comedy and features lots of good music.

"Danny, Spikes and Silk have just recently graduated from high school in New York. Danny finds a title deed for a huge house in a small town.
He has a dream to turn it into a Rock n' Roll hotel. The townspeople though are not very welcome to the New Yorkers.
With a little help from an aging stockbroker, a local girl, and the "stockholders" (friends from New York), they are able to help Danny pursue his dream." (IMDb)

Playing for Keeps was directed by the producer gurus Bob and Harvey Weinstein.

The story is quite typical but i like the energy the fairly unknown cast has. Marisa Tomei looks very cute in her first major role and i remember Leon W. Grant from Beat Street.
The soundtrack includes Phil Collins, Pete Townshend, Arcadia, The Pointer Sisters and Diana Ross among others. I found two promovideos with clips from the film:

Sister Sledge - Here to Stay

Arcadia - Say the Word

See few nice jokes, legendary Wizard of Wor arcade, dance scenes and cool club scene near the end. Not bad!!

-

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Somewhere, Tomorrow (1983) which was a decent teendrama with a twist.

During the first 20 mins or so the movie looked cheap and kinda boring but after the plane crash things got interesting.
The main guys Tom Shea and Paul Bates were good and Sarah Jessica Parker was ok.
Nothing earth shattering in this one but it´s a nice little film if you give it a chance.
I own another film directed by Robert Wiemer, The Night Train to Kathmandu (1988) but haven´t watched it yet.
Anyone seen the other film he made in 1983, Anna to the Infinite Power?

Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING.... pure comfort fodder, I just hate the George Newbern character and that whole unnecessary part involving him.
Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just hate George Newbern in general. In Australia the movie is called A Night on the Town. I have always liked it. Not seen it in years though.

[ 18. November 2015, 12:49: Message edited by: Bernie_Lomax ]

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, wasn't he the boring boyfriend/husband in those excrutiating Father of the Bride movies as well? Those were pure torture. In AIB I just find his character smarmy and lame, not to mention unnecessary. I guess they felt the need to include him as a glimmer of romantic hope for Shue's character, but I don't think that was needed. Especially when she was Brad's glimmer of hope, however unlikely that romance might have been. But by including Newbern, they kind of took a dump on their male lead, which was not warranted. I Like the film nonetheless though.

And this has been pointless subplot analysis, with your host, Peter Lemonjello..... good night.

Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved Midnight Run!

Thanx for your opinions on Adventures in Babysitting. I have considered buying this one recently but didn't know if it was worth the time. I have seen it before but remember nothing about it.

And welcome to the party Peter

Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
Thank you, mr. Terd. And yes, AIB is certainly worth having in the collection, despite the Newb and his waspy vibe of tedium.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Adventures in babysitting terdnthepoolggb is well worth checking out,it's a lot of fun,it was known as - a night on the town here in the UK.

I picked up the us blu ray for it sometime back and got it at a really decent price!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
I see Mr. milquetoast made it onto the UK poster instead of the kid sister...... I do not approve.
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, he was the pathetic boyfriend in Father of the Bride. I actually have the original tape on VHS. Only because I like Steve Martin though.

Adventures in Babysitting / A Night on the Town is a good movie for sure. I like movies where Bradley Whitford plays the creep. He does it so well and he is "So Cool" - and 28 years old [Big Grin]

Yeah, what's with Newbern getting on the cover art? I have never seen it with him on it. They've just pencilled him in and erased the other kid. I am sure Newbern was probably behind iit all [Smile]

Hey Lemonjello, do you get that view of the city from on top of your gazebo?

Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
Ah yes, Whitford was the perfect douche in many a films. And no, the only view I have is a hazy mist of what I presume is swampgas and the run down shack of my man servant, Calculus.
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Gotta love that fresh Louisiana air [Smile]
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 -

Nothing but love for his delightful classic. Thinking of getting the poster for the living room. But should I go with the version above, or the one below?

-

Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
Ooops, that was kinda big.... but all I could find.
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

The bottom one lemonjello. Love that movie and the artwork for this and its sequel. Good choice.
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
Yes, they both have some classic poster art, as did most (if not all) adventure movies from the 80's... Indy trilogy, Big Trouble in Little China, Crocodile Dundee, Goonies,Allan Quartermain films, High Road to China etc.

Yes Terd, the bottom one is the more traditional choice and what elicits the most nostalgia feels, but im also strangely drawn to the alternate version.... decisions, decisions.

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Not as good as I'd remembered, but it still has its moments.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 -

Ferrara is hit and miss with me, but this raunchy thriller is one I like to return to with some regularity. Strippers, mobsters, tough cops, a sick martial arts obsessed serial killer, gritty violence, gratuitous nudity, dark neon lit Manhattan 80's vibe and a great cast.

It's not flawless, and slightly off beat in its narrative structure and pacing, a trademark of the Abel Ferrara directed/ Nicholas St. John scripted films, but ultimately satisfying.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Abel Ferrara hits, he's spectacular. I agree with you that this is not quite his best work, but I really enjoy it too. No one films the sleazy, scuzzier side of NYC better, not even Martin Scorsese. Apart from his NYC trilogy of masterpieces Bad Lieutenant, King of New York, and Ms. 45, I also really like China Girl, The Addiction, and The Funeral. It's so sad that he's been wandering aimlessly for decades now it seems because when he's on his game, he's one of the best.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
I have seen Ms. 45, China Girl, King of New York and Bad Lieutenant, but I honestly remember very little other than my general reactions for each one... and it was all a long time ago. I guess he hasn't turned out anything of note for quite some time now. Sad, but true of most directors of that generation.
  This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home