iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Sudden Impact (1983)

"A rape victim is exacting revenge on her agressors in a small town outside San Francisco. Dirty Harry, on suspension for angering his superiors (again), is assigned to the case."

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Booger
Master Rewinder
Member # 4569

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Booger   Email Booger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched this tonight. Still great after all these years. Anyone know if the recent blu-ray release is worth picking up? I was wondering what the picture quality and sound is like.

Posts: 115 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Booger, that's a good question indeed.

Blu-ray.com recently did a review for the 30th anniversary edition :
www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Breakfast-Club-Blu-ray/121804/#Review

And here is their review for the older blu-ray version :
www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Breakfast-Club-Blu-ray/11115/#Review

There seems to be an upgrade in overall picture-quality, though it's somewhat difficult
to see judging from the screenshots.. so it's a bit of a gamble i guess.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Booger
Master Rewinder
Member # 4569

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Booger   Email Booger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
Booger, that's a good question indeed.

Blu-ray.com recently did a review for the 30th anniversary edition :
www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Breakfast-Club-Blu-ray/121804/#Review

And here is their review for the older blu-ray version :
www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Breakfast-Club-Blu-ray/11115/#Review

There seems to be an upgrade in overall picture-quality, though it's somewhat difficult
to see judging from the screenshots.. so it's a bit of a gamble i guess.

Thanks for posting those links. Comparing the two it appears that the image is actually sharper on the older release. But they give a higher score to picture quality on the newer release. The newest release seems to have better color. The older one seems to have the color "washed" out in some scenes. I really want to pick up the blu-ray three pack that has Weird Science & Sixteen Candles. I can't find a review for that copy of Weird Science so I presume it's just the same as the last release just packaged with this new set...and the picture rating was low on that one.
Posts: 115 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

i watched the 1987 horror slasher - slaughterhouse over the weekend on blu ray.

quite good fun this one with its fair share of gory kills and daft moments through out,did remind me a bit of texas chainsaw 2,it was that same sort of wacky mixture of humor and horror.

the credits music sounded like something out of a 70s british sitcom and over the actual opening credits you see real life scenes of pigs being stunned and slaughtered so it's pretty unsettling stuff.

the finale where the local sheriff and his daughter takes on the psychotic slaughterhouse owner les and his man mountain son buddy was pretty atmospheric and rather well done,set in the creepy looking slaughterhouse at the dead of night thunderstorms and all it made for a very entertaining showdown.

for 80s horror slasher fans i'm sure you'll have a blast with - slaughterhouse,i know i did.

7.5/10.

on another note i'd definitely recommend the region free blu ray from 88 films,the picture quality was not as bad as i'd been expecting though there was the odd shot like when buddy was sat in a pigs pen and the hay looked a very off orange color.

definitely worth picking up though for the 80s horror fan out there.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
on the trailer reel for slaughterhouse they had stuart gordon's - castle freak,i have seen it a while back but can't remember if i thought of it being pretty decent or not.

any castle freak fans out there?

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"A batch of unhatched critter eggs are mistaken for Easter eggs by the country-folk inhabitants of Grover's Bend and, before long, the ferocious furballs are on the rampage again."

This is a good follow-up in the series.

-

It would have been great to see Freddy running around..

Extended & Deleted Scenes

Score

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
warrior, I have Castle Freak on dvd and iŽll try to watch it one of these days.

J2ME, i agree. Critters 2 is highly entertaining sequel.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Castle Freak is a guilty pleasure of mine.
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad that you said "guilty pleasure" about Castle Freak, Helen, because it was yet another step on the downward spiral that was Stuart Gordon's career. The guy has had a couple of indie things recently that weren't bad, but wow, talk about someone who does three fine films right out of the gate and is poised for even bigger and better things, and then his career just stalls out with junk like Robot Jox and Space Truckers. It's mystifying to me why he couldn't parlay that into something like Wes Craven's career, where he did horror films and some big studio stuff too. (I still find it hilarious that the guy who directed Last House on the Left later directed a Meryl Strep movie.)
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dead Men Don`t Wear Plaid w` Steve Martin. I vividly remember images of this movie as a kid, but never watched it (over my head at the time). Watched it for the first time a few nights ago...I got some good laughs out of it.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Dead Men DonŽt Wear Plaid last year and this time i truly "got" it and loved it. Top 3 Steve Martin film for me, definitely.
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll "third" that on Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. It's so underrated with droll and sly humor, not to mention the excellent use of classic noir clips.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last bunch of 80s movies I've watched since the forum was under maintenance back in the summer of 2013 are:

First Blood (1982)
Over the Top (1987)
Legal Eagles (1986)
Flashdance (1983)
Turner and Hooch (1989)
Best Defense (1984)
Red Dawn (1984)
Johnny Dangerously (1984)
Breathless (1983)

Posts: 4123 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of your picks I like First Blood, Over the Top (it's good but it gets annoying with his little hand movement that proves to be the deciding factor in winning an arm wrestling match). Johhny Dangerously is classic. I still have on video my brother and I re-enacting the scene where people are suffereing from enlarged scrotum syndrome. Turner and Hooch is a masterpiece. Some good 80's viewing there.

Lock Up (1989) was on T.V. twice in about 2 weeks.

I got to see Dallas get deep fried twice [Big Grin]

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Runniing Scared with Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines. It was on late Saturday Nght. I've always liked this buddy cop movie- thought those two had great chemistry onscreen.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

i watched the awesome 1985 comedy romance - secret admirer again last night,this is a really great movie with a fantastic cast,great music score and many a laugh out loud moment!

and if that isn't good enough reason for watching you've also got the beautiful kelly preston and lori loughlin starring,the latter in particular with looks to die for in this movie.

-

plus the seriously underatted fred ward who here completely steals the show as preston's trigger happy cop father,he really plays the part to perfection,his character is so funny!

talking of funny there's a scene near the begining that always cracks me up and that is when c thomas howell and Casey Siemaszko flee the frat party and are being chased by scott mcginnis(who plays obnoxious jock steve power)and his buddies and they jump into the back of Siemaszko's van to get away and the nerdy one from there group is driving and he trys to jump the railed fence and completely totals it(the van).

such a funny scene!

i'd definitely say this is an 80s classic.

https://youtu.be/cf_oOfCt4cU - secret admirer trailer.

-

next up i'm going to try and watch volunteers with hanks and candy,not watched it for quite sometime.

[ 22. April 2015, 16:58: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Running scared is another seriously great 80s flick Pittsburgh girl,he's another actor I really thought was cool and that was Gregory Hines.

Sad he passed away relatively young!

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes young warrior! My first recollection of seeing him onscreen was as the pathologist in Wolfen, starring Albert Finney.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Secret Admirer is a classic. We have a thread here too, warrior [Wink] http://www.fast-rewind.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/9699.html#000000
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 -
"The Buckman family is a midwestern family all dealing with their lives: estranged relatives, raising children, pressures of the job, and learning to be a good parent and spouse."

I Love To See You Smile

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You made me play second base!!!!!!!
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

watched the very underatted 1985 comedy volunteers starring tom hanks along with his future wife rita wilson and the ever brilliant john candy.

i believe this flopped upon release back in 85 and was quite widely critically slated (i know the video magazine i got back in the day only gave it 2 out of 5) which i think is a big pity as i've always found this one to be quite a lot of fun.

there's some good laugh out loud moments throughout and one scene that always has me in absolute stitches is when the angry black mob guy who's chased hanks to the airport jumps onto the side of the plane and he's looking in at hanks thru the little window of the closed hatch door and in the next shot it shows the plane going along the runway with him still clinging on.

next thing you hear an annoucement from ground control contacting the pilot notifying him that there's something hanging on to the side of the plane before he falls off.

really funny stuff!

all the cast are really great and you can tell they had a total blast on set,oh yeah tim thomerson turns up and like fred ward in secret admirer which i watched the night before also puts in a bit of scene stealing performance as a crazed undercover cia operative who talks to his knife.

-

8/10.

[ 25. April 2015, 08:55: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I appreciate your write up Warrior but this movie puts me to sleep. I have tried to like to like it as I like Hanks and adore Candy but I don't find it funny and I can't sit through the whole movie (I guess this could be due to differences in appreciation of humour perhaps?)

Sometimes though you do wonder though if a movie flops at the box office due to it's composition or due to it's marketing. But surely if a movie is of high quality, word will quickly leak out leading to higher box office revenue. Also, if a movie is really good people can often see the movie more than once which also positively impacts upon revenue. My classic example is my brother watching The Adventures of Milo & Otis four times at the cinema [Big Grin]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie_Lomax:
[QB] (I guess this could be due to differences in appreciation of humour perhaps?)

you hit the nail on the head bernie,that's all it is,not everyone is going to find the same thing funny.

you think us brits are known for are sarcasm and that doesn't always translate very well overseas,i know this from personal experience!

it's like you think about it a lot of australians find caddyshack 2 really funny where as with most brits it barely raises a chuckle [Big Grin]

ps. only kidding with ya!

-

anyhow john candy liked volunteers ,he gave it the thumbs up,that's all that matters to me!

[ 25. April 2015, 09:04: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home