iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The funny thing is is that I was born in Hammersmith and the foundation of my humour comes from The Young Ones. I have always rated British humour as the best. Being a stand up comedian seems to be a pretty loose term these days. I tell you what though, nobody can bring me to tears like Ricky Gervais. He is one of the few people who deserves the right to call themselves a stand up comedian (obviously he does other things too). Some of the things he says are just right up there with my way of thinking it just makes you laugh til it hurts [Big Grin]

Do you not like Caddyshack 2? I will tell you that in my opinion the funniest person in Caddyshack 2 is probably Randy Quaid and as much of a snob Robert Stack plays, there is something about his serious mannerisms that make me laugh too (it's hard to put my finger on) - I do agree that it's not going to get any critical acclaim and is by far inferior to the original Caddyshack but there is things to take away from that movie that keep you coming back. Dan Aykroyd for me is not one of them. ( I can also find humour in some of the most unlikely/ridiculous things) As a golfer I probably am more partial to it also. "Let's go another 18! Whadda ya say?" [Big Grin]

That's it. People can find different things funny/interesting/suspenseful etc....I guess that's just art.....I can look at paintings and think "That's just a bunch of squiggly lines" but some other guy will say "I'll give ya 2 million bucks for it." [Roll Eyes]

I love John Candy. He is the kind of person you wish was either your father or best friend. I can't say for sure but I bet he was an all round nice guy [Smile]

[ 25. April 2015, 09:15: Message edited by: Bernie_Lomax ]

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they had the life of rick mayall on bbc tv the other night,when they showed old clips from the young ones and bottom as well as blackadder,some of it was so funny.

god i miss those days !

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i was watching volunteers i said to my wife that i bet john candy was an awesome down to earth guy and someone you could imagine being a total blast to work with!

all i've ever read up on him is positive comments,people seemed to love being around him.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was so sad when I heard that he died. When I hear of someone famous dying I am usually taken back a bit but with Rik I felt almost depressed. His influence on me was profound. Without him I would not be the same person I am today. I watched The Young Ones as a very young kid and the show often played the role of my surrogate parents at times.

The first episode I saw of Bottom was when the gas man comes around to check their meter. I was in absolute tears watching that!

It is so hard to believe that The people's poet is dead. Who will the kids turn to now?

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
when i was watching volunteers i said to my wife that i bet john candy was an awesome down to earth guy and someone you could imagine being a total blast to work with!

all i've ever read up on him is positive comments,people seemed to love being around him.

It would be pretty hard to swallow if you read a write up of John Candy saying that he was a sado masochistic psychopath with a propensity for violence and bad jokes [Big Grin]
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie_Lomax:
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:

It would be pretty hard to swallow if you read a write up of John Candy saying that he was a sado masochistic psychopath with a propensity for violence and bad jokes [Big Grin]
if something like that ever did come to light,now that would be funny! [Big Grin]
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
You would be sceptical of the write up though if it was written by a guy going by the name of Bug Spray.
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"A young couple struggles to repair a hopelessly dilapidated house."

Classic 80s slapstick!

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

watched dc cab aka street fleet again,lots of fun this one with some pretty good laughs throughout.

directed by joel schumacher and featuring a huge all star cast including the likes of adam baldwin,mr t,gary busey who is his usual bonkers self,jill schoelen,paul rodriguez and a cameo from irene cara who also features on the soundtrack.

-
adam baldwin and the late charlie barnett.

one actor who i thought was good fun was Charlie Barnett who played the cab driver tyrone,not sure if i've seen him in anything other than this,i read up on him after viewing this to find out that he died of aids at the age of 41 back in 1996 which is sad.

probably not to everyones taste but it's always given me a good laugh whenever i have watched it and for that i give it a high recommendation.

https://youtu.be/YxlsO0jpxG0 - dc cab trailer.

[ 09. May 2015, 18:36: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by J2ME:
 -

"A young couple struggles to repair a hopelessly dilapidated house."

Classic 80s slapstick!

Really great flick j2me,need to grab this off my shelf again for a viewing asap.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

i watched the 1988 comedy - it takes two starring george newbern,leslie hope and kimberley foster and directed by david beaird who was behind one of my favourite 80s comedies - the party animal.

like the party animal it has a load of wacky dream sequences,one in particular that featured semi clad beauties and thunder storm effects in the background definitely brought up memories of beaird's earlier 1984 hit t&a comedy.

also like the directors previous 1984 comedy outing - the party animal it also clocks in at a very short running time,i made it 1 hr 12 mins when the final credits rolled.

-
george newbern and the fun barry corbin in - it takes two.

i thouroughly enjoyed this daft and light weight comedy,it features a good cast,i thought barry corbin(harv in critters 2) was a lot of fun as newbern's future father in law.

-
the pretty leslie hope plays the future bride stephanie lawrence in - it takes two.

i also thought leslie hope turned in a decent performance as the future bride to be stephanie,she also looked very pretty here,she was 23 at the time and this was in the same year as she starred in the underatted kansas in which she also looked a bit of a knockout!

then lastly there's not forgetting the equally stunning kimberley foster as the car salesman Jonni tigersmith who prior to this appeared in the great fun savage steve holland comedy - one crazy summer and 1987's hanks/ackroyd comedy dragnet.

i had to watch this on youtube (it's pretty rare on vhs and there's no dvd release)it was under its alternate title of my new car,the picture quality and sound for a youtube vid was none too bad,not hd quality but good enough.

https://youtu.be/OYFl5kk0qFs - it takes two aka my new car - the full movie 1988 .

so overall i'd say a daft but good fun 1hr 15 min comedy with a definite 80s feel to it and well worth checking out!

-

[ 21. May 2015, 04:57: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

not long finished watching the delinquents from 1989 starring kylie minogue and charlie schlatter.

set in the late 1950s australia (looking it up it looks like most of it was filmed on location in queensland) and featuring a whole soundtrack of classic hits and convincing performances from both leads this makes for quite an enjoyable watch.

-

watching this i couldn't actually believe kylie was 21 when she filmed this,she looks a lot younger,this is how i remember her from watching the australian soap - neighbors all those years back when she starred alongside jason donovan.

got to say that certain scenes did come across a little bit over dramatic at times but that grumble aside this was a very watchable little movie that has yet to have a dvd release here where i live in the uk.

like the previous movie i watched (it takes two -1988) i also checked this one out on youtube which is obviously not perfect by all means but sometimes it's the only way you can actually get around to seeing some of these movies.

this like the youtube video for - it takes two was actually a pretty decent copy with both picture and sound quality being both more than adequate!

https://youtu.be/etNCghfOSMM - the delinquents full movie 1989.

so yeah the delinquents i'd say overall is very entertaining and well worth checking out especially for fans of either lead or in particular lovers of romanitic drama's.

-

still looking great - kylie minogue in 2015 aged 46.

[ 24. June 2015, 09:27: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

watched francis ford coppola's 1986 time travelling comedy drama - peggy sue got married for the very first time yesterday.

starring kathleen turner,nicolas cage and featuring early performances from jim carrey and helent hunt i found this to be pretty enjoyable overall with just one little niggle,well actually it's not such a little niggle as he's one of the main leads and that is nicolas cage.

i'm normally one to cut nic cage a lot of slack as i've always enjoyed his earlier performances in movies such as alan parker's superb 1984
drama birdy and the same years - racing with the moon,plus i thought he was excellent in 2013's joe but here i just found him to be rather annoying overall.

plus what on earth was going on with his voice? it sounded like he'd been taking a blast of helium each time he was called onto set,at one point he reminded me of steve martin in that hilarious scene in planes trains and automobiles when he gets picked up by the crown jewels by the big guy at the airport and afterwards he's speaking to john candy's del really high pitched!

this aside though yeah i'd say overall it's pretty enjoyable stuff and i'm pleased i finally got around to watching it after all this time.

[ 29. May 2015, 01:41: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Science Project. Some good one liners by Fisher Stevens
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fisher is on fire in that film.
Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

watched ridley scott's 1989 thriller black rain starring michael douglas,andy garcia,kate kapshaw and the late Ken Takakura (mr baseball) who sadly passed away last year.

a really cool east meets west thriller with a pretty wicked hans zimmer score and some superb location shooting in osaka,japan.

picked this up on blu ray for quite a reasonable price actually and must say it looks rather good on blu (loads of neon,very stylishly shot) and it also sounds none to bad either despite having no hd audio track.

i must say i really liked black rain and i've watched it a few times now and for me it's a movie that just keeps getting better and better!

great movie and highly recommended.

-

also picked up a very cheap used like new copy of arthur penn's 1985 thriller - target starring gene hackman and matt dillon,i've always quite enjoyed this one,i like the european settings (paris,hamburg-germany)plus hackman is terrific as ever and despite a bit of criticism i thought
matt dillon was pretty good also.

-
peugot 205 gti these were quite nippy back in the day!

some none to bad action scenes which include a few decent car chases one including an old peugot 205 gti which is not something you see eveyday.

it does have a few flaws throughout like the scene where matt dillon changes his mind last minute on an air flight,he's meant to be be travelling to frankfurt but spots a pretty brunette that he keeps bumping into who happens to be flying to berlin so he then goes upto to the the guy at the ticket office and says i changed my mind and then just walks past him to
get onto the plane.

yeah i'd say overall it's a pretty decent thriller and considering the very mixed reviews and fair share of criticism it has picked up over the years i'd say it is pretty underrated 80s thriller.

[ 18. June 2015, 15:45: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Black Rain is a great movie. I might have to watch it tonight.

-

"Superman agrees to sacrifice his powers to marry Lois, unaware that three Kryptonian criminals he inadvertently released are conquering Earth."

My favourite of the series.

-

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched/Listened ( mostly listened) Tootsie (1982) while I made dinner this evening. I saw this for the first time about 10 years ago. I had forgotten who was in this, other than Dustin Hoffman. Bill Murray, Jessica Lange, Charles Durning.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 -

"Richard and Larry are two best friends who discover that someone has been embezzling money from their company."

One of my favourites.  -

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
A true masterpiece of contemporary cinema [Big Grin]
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"A writer moves into a Malibu beach house, and comes up against the ghost of an actress
who supposedly had committed suicide there 30 years previously, but had been murdered by her boyfriend.
The ghost asks the writer's help in proving her boyfriend the killer." (IMDb)

Ghost Writer (1989) is a decent late 80s crime-comedy starring lovely Landers sisters, Joey Travolta, Jeff Conaway and David Doyle.
You can also see familiar faces like John Matuszak, Barbarian Brothers David and Peter Paul, George ´Buck´ Flower and D1ck Miller in small roles.

Nothing too amazing on offer here but you can see Judy wearing several sexy outfits and that´s just what i wanted [Big Grin]
Audrey is very cute and sings few nice pop tunes on the soundtrack.

Ghost Writer trailer

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

"Three people are transported into a parallel reality, where they find they must use modern technology,
but medieval weapons, in order to save the citizenry from a murderous warlord." (IMDb)

Watched The Prisoners of the Lost Universe (1983) and what a silly film it was.
Director Terry Marcel has also made Hawk the Slayer (which i haven´t seen) and Jane and the Lost City (my review here)

Normally i like this kind of stupid stuff but something just didn´t "click" this time.
Kay Lenz looks stunning, Hatch is Hatch and Saxon gives an ok performance as warlord Kleel.
The movies feels like a failed Monty Python meets italian post-apocalyptic flick. Sounds good on paper but something´s missing.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

prisoners of the lost universe makes me think of this wacky 1989 action comedy starring bill maher,shannon tweed and adrienne barbeau -cannibal women in the avocado jungle of death,it's been released on dvd by independent brit label 88 film and now it's being touted for a blu ray release by them later in the year.

https://youtu.be/qVjGAxuijeY - cannibal women in the avocado jungle of death trailer.

never seen this one,have you ever checked this one out atomik as it's mean't to be pretty good fun!

[ 31. August 2015, 06:39: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Never seen it, warrior but i do own the film. I´m gonna watch it next week.
Hard to imagine that Cannibal Women is from the same fella who made it big with Pretty Woman [Smile]

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Throw Momma from the Train. Not bad. Although I figured more of the film would be on a train.

Anne Ramsey is in another movie I found in the basement called DR. Hackenstein. Has anyone seen it?

Cannibal Women. Anything with Barbeau is a must see. Saw that a long time ago and I believe a copy is somewhere around here on VHS. Call me lucky.

Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home