iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 18)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Urban Cowboy last night. It had been a long time since I've watched it. I loved Debra Winger and Scott Glen was great too. I liked some of the music, even though I am not really a country music listener. I noticed as the credits ran, that Patsy Swayze was the choreographer and Lisa Niemi was also in the credits as the dance instructor.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched The Man Who Loved Women (1983).

"This is the tale of a sculptor named David who has a major womanizing problem. He goes to seek help from a psychiatrist, Marianna, to cure him of his obsession with women.
His story of sexual and romantic exploits with the ladies is told by Marianna." (IMDb)

This was a decent remake of the 1977 French film L'Homme qui aimait les femmes.
This is more drama than comedy so one might be disappointed because it´s not that funny.
Director Blake Edwards was having some troubles at this time and it shows here. The movie is a bit dull.

Reynolds gives a nice performance, it´s not hard to imagine that women fall in love with him.
However, i didn´t buy the romance with his psychiatrist Marianna played by Julie Andrews. They didn´t have that kind of chemistry.
It was nice to see Marilu Henner and Kim Basinger here and of course poor old Barry Corbin as Basinger´s husband who gets cheated all the time [Smile]

It´s a good Reynolds movie but otherwise lacking.

Reynolds with a sex maniac Basinger
 -

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pity it's slightly dull Atomik but at least Basinger judging by that pic looks really great!
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David_J
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37430

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for David_J   Email David_J   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friday the 13 the new blood I watched last night I really enjoyed that film when I first saw it I absolutely love Elizabeth Kaitan she is still one of my favourite actress from the 80s
Posts: 26 | Registered: May 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched the first hour of Beat Street (1984) late last night, I'd like to finish it someday. It was on THIStv at 2am. I hope they play it again. Starred Rae Dawn Chong. Also an appearance by Saundra Santiago of Miami Vice, pre-nose job. I didn't recognize her at first until she spoke, and I thought "I know that voice!"
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Beat Street very much, great tunes!
Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched Violets are Blue (1986)

"After fifteen years of traveling around the world Gussie (Spacek), a famous photographer, returns to the Maryland coastal resort where she grew up.
She meets her high school sweetheart Henry (Kline), now married and running the local newspaper he's inherited from his father. An awkward and tension-filled romance ensues." (IMDb)

This was a nice romantic drama starring Sissy Spacek, Kevin Kline and Bonnie Bedelia.
It was directed by Jack Fisk, Spacek´s husband since 1974 and now a famous production designer (worked for Malick, Lynch and Inarritu (The Revenant)).

I liked the Baltimore, Maryland locations and the cast did a good job.
The story is interesting but i couldn´t enjoy the romance between Spacek and Kline because i felt really bad for Bedelia [Frown] [Smile]
Overall, a nice little film.

-

David_J
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37430

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for David_J   Email David_J   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Watched Violets are Blue (1986)

"After fifteen years of traveling around the world Gussie (Spacek), a famous photographer, returns to the Maryland coastal resort where she grew up.
She meets her high school sweetheart Henry (Kline), now married and running the local newspaper he's inherited from his father. An awkward and tension-filled romance ensues." (IMDb)

This was a nice romantic drama starring Sissy Spacek, Kevin Kline and Bonnie Bedelia.
It was directed by Jack Fisk, Spacek´s husband since 1974 and now a famous production designer (worked for Malick, Lynch and Inarritu (The Revenant)).

I liked the Baltimore, Maryland locations and the cast did a good job.
The story is interesting but i couldn´t enjoy the romance between Spacek and Kline because i felt really bad for Bedelia [Frown] [Smile]
Overall, a nice little film.

-

I need to see this it sounds really good to thanks for the reminder I will watch this at the weekend.
Posts: 26 | Registered: May 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked out William Friedkin's Rampage (1987) in its original theatrical form on YouTube. It's a pretty underrated watch about a California attorney out to convict an unhinged serial killer by sentencing him to death.

Michael Biehn does a nice job as the lawyer while Alex McArthur is haunting as the murderer.

The history around the film is interesting because it was set for release in 1987, but then the distributor, De Laurentiis Entertainment Group went bankrupt, and it got shelved for five years before being picked up by Miramax, who gave it a limited run in 1992. The ending was also changed in the revised version since Friedkin's views about the death penalty had changed. At the end of the original cut, the killer commits suicide but in the new version, he eventually lives. Any thoughts about Rampage?

Posts: 4125 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I´ve never seen Rampage but i own the finnish vhs tape.
It was released in the 80s so it must include the original ending.

Interesting little detail, i don´t think i´ve heard about it before.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen Rampage ages ago when it first hit the home video rental market,CBS FOX if i remember right and it featured some pretty cool front cover art!

Trouble is that my memory of it is so vague that I can't in all truth give an honest opinion about it though I'm sure I did generally like it and that director William Friedkin's movies rarely do fail to entertain!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched Cannonball Run II (1984)

It was pretty much on par with the original, you have to be in the right mood to enjoy these silly films [Smile]
The cast is just crazy, we have few Reynolds/Needham friends and their friends, some old timers and Rat Packers. Everyone´s invited [Big Grin]

You can hear the two theme tunes so many times you feel like brainwashed and start to like them.
DeLuise is fun, especially when spoofing Brando and everyone loves Marilu Henner.

But times were a changing and the film grossed less than half the takings of the first Cannonball Run.
The film also received eight Golden Raspberry Award nominations and was final of the 1970s-1980s action car stunt comedies for Burt Reynolds.

Also the Lamborghini team had changed but they still look hot (Bach and Anton)
 -

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was deffo Reynolds grabbing at a potential hit. More laboured than the original, and the era of political correctness was just starting when this came out. It felt dated coming out the same year as Ghostbusters and Beverly Hills Cop. It still made money though, and it's a fun watch.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Stick (1985)

"Ernest 'Stick' Stickley returns from prison, and very soon he gets involved with his old friend in a drug-running deal that goes sour.
Hired by a rich investor, he tries to walk the line, but trouble follows him throughout as he tries to collect a debt and make up for lost time with his daughter.
Stick also finds a new flame with a financial wiz and gets set to enjoy a new life, but Chucky and Nestor, the two hoods who owe him the debt, have other plans for Stick." (IMDb)

This was a troubled production because writer Elmore Leonard didn´t like what Reynolds did with his story.
Reynolds then blamed the studio for demanding extra footage (more action scenes and extra screentime for Sticks daughter played by Tricia Leigh Fisher).

I like this movie very much. It´s entertaining enough and has a cool synth soundtrack.
This was the first movie after Burt broke his jaw while filming City Heat. He looks a bit different but not bad at all.
Candice Bergen is Stick´s love interest and the coolest villain here is the albino Moke played by professional stuntman Dar Robinson.
Charles Durning plays another baddie but looks more funny than dangerous with his wig.

I´ll admit that it could have been better but i can´t help but enjoy this film.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I don't dislike Stick atomik,i think its not too bad a movie and certainly not amongst Burt's very worse,i can remember reading about Reynolds breaking his jaw and the agony and drastic weight loss that it caused him which i believe led to the rumours about Aids at the time!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-3420946/Burt-Reynolds-spent-five-years-Sally-Field-love-life-screwed-relationship-up.html - this is quite a good little article about Reynolds and I like the bit where he states that Sally Field was the love of his life!

I think they did look seriously happy together and it's a pity that it didn't work out for them!

[ 08. July 2016, 12:21: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

I watched The All Nighter this evening, starring Susannah Hoffs, DeDee Pfeiffer, and Joan Cusack. Pure 80's cheesetasticness. Susannah and DeDee looked very pretty, and so did Joan Cusack, but they stuck her in the same heavy wool tweed jacket and ugly safari shorts for the whole movie. It made me feel like sweating just looking at it, in hot and sunny Malibu! Maybe Susannah should have taken up acting, as I would say she is up there in the "worst singer but I got famous because I'm hot" category. Her voice is like scraping chalk on a chalkboard to me. Her acting wasn't bad for this one off film.
David_J
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37430

Rate Member
I watched Muphys Law last night Charles Bronson at his best one of my favourite movies of his I had forgotten how good it was until I watched it last night. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but I love the movie.
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The movie suffers for me as I can't stand Kathleen Wilhoite... can't explain why though.
Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Well, Wilhoite´s character is a bit pain in the you know where [Smile] but i like Murphy´s Law very much.
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only Bronson Cannon flick I don't own... maybe it's time for a rewatch.
Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
Maybe Susannah should have taken up acting, as I would say she is up there in the "worst singer but I got famous because I'm hot" category. Her voice is like scraping chalk on a chalkboard to me. Her acting wasn't bad for this one off film.

I believe The Allnighter was directed by Susannah's mum.. Pretty convenient, i'd say ! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I´m one of those who love The Allnighter but i know there´s haters too. I remember there was a topic for the film here somewhere..
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I agree Kathleen Wilhoite is pretty annoying in Murphy's Law but the film overall really rocks and Carrie Snodgress makes for a pretty mean female villain!

Never seen the All nighter but Susannah's great to look at so that's one thing it's got going for it!

Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
Allnighter is pretty bad IMO, though I do own a copy for some reason.
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is an underwear scene with Hoffs in the Allnighter
Posts: 1991 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home