iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » Ŧ 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 14)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhhh....I have this one, but have never seen it....might shoot to watch it tonight....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Rewatched The Dead Pool (1988) and while itīs my least favorite Dirty Harry film, it has itīs moments.
Enjoyable dialogue here and there but we also hear few very old jokes. I bet those were old already in ī88.
The cast and acting is decent. It was nice to see Evan C. Kim (V-series) as Callahanīs partner.
I like the Jim Carrey Welcome to the Jungle scene because itīs so crazy and you donīt expect to see that kind of stuff in Dirty Harry films.
However, iīm not a G NīR fan, quite the opposite.
Eastwood also executes his secret fantasy (i think) when the murderer kills a movie critic [Cool] and i really liked the radio controller car-chase through the familiar Frisco streets.
Solid late 80s thriller but a far cry from what Dirty Harry once meant.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kevdugp73:
Watched "Wolfen" last night on Blu-ray. Wanted to love this...but I just didn't [Roll Eyes] . I thought the pace was a bit slow. I did love the look/feel of the movie and cool filming, and liked seeing a young Albert F and Gregory Hines. *I had started this a while back and lost interest, but chopped it up to being tired, so always planned a re-look. Unfortunately...same response. The Blu-ray was actually a bit pricey when I got it a while back. Always liked the cover art!

Kevdug, I remember liking this movie as a kid, but when I did rewatch on AMC channel a while ago, I did think the pace was very slow. I did love Albert Finney and Gregory Hines too.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
 -

Watched Dominick and Eugene (1988).

"Dominick and Eugene are twins, but Dominick is a little bit slow due do an accident in his youth. They live together, with Dominick working as garbage man
to put Eugene through medical school. Their relationship becomes strained when Eugene must decide between his devotion to his brother,
or his need to go away to complete his training. Things are also not helped by Dominick's co-worker, or Eugene's budding romance." (IMDb)

What a great, sympathetic and touching drama!
Ray Liotta did a fine job as Eugene but Tom Hulce was simply amazing!
Jamie Lee Curtis and Todd Graff are the other stars. Curtisī role isnīt that big but Graf was fun as the fellow garbageman.
I liked the fact that this was shot in Pittsburgh, not always NY or LA.
The first hour or so is mainly fun stuff but the drama gets super heavy after that like it tends to do in these kind of films.
I admit that i shed few tears [Wink] Highly recommended!

Atomk, they used to play this a lot on the Encore channel here, and I'd watch every chance I got. It was filmed mainly in the old South Side of Pittsburgh. It looks a lot different now.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished watching "Dominik and Eugene". I really liked it. Always love seeing some 80's staples in these old movies; ghetto blaster on the side of the garbage truck, vintage lawn darts, red Converse sneakers...the Millenium Falcon even made an appearance.

Some mention of Wrestlemania and Hulk Hogan...wondering....the drug dealer's partner at the scrap yard...was that Big John Studd?

Loved the look of the city as well...is this part of Pittsburgh that "hilly" Pitts...makes for some great views.

Some mild similarities to "Of Mice and Men" (90's)...if you haven't seen that, I'd recommend it.

Overall enjoyable...thanks for the recommendation!

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few to catch up...

Prisoners Of The Lost Universe (1983)

Richard Hatch (he of original Battlestar Galactica fame), Kay Lenz and John Saxon in a film where a scientist, a tv presenter and an unfortunate bystander get zapped into an alternative dimension populated by cavemen and bandits. Yeah... Billed as a 'low-budget' movie, it sure was that. Another few bucks on a decent script and a few special effects that didn't look so tacky, and a few less dollars on so many unnecessary sound effects (like slide whistles as rocks and people fell from a cliff) would have improved this immeasurably. John Saxon is really the only actor that deserves a positive (actually make that neutral) review, he's ok, the rest are dire. Most of the film is shot externally in South Africa, and that looks nice.

Sword Of The Valiant (1984) starring Miles O'Keeffe, Trevor Howerd, Sean Connery, Peter Cushing, Ronald Lacey, Leigh Lawson

A rather poor swords and sorcery showing, with O'Keeffe as the lead, Sir Gawain, looking surprisingly like the currently en vogue 'feminazi lawyer' Charlotte Proudman, and with a delivery that is equally unimpressive. The supporting cast of well known names stoop to reach his level, although Ronald Lacey (he of Porridge, Raiders Of The Lost Ark and Blackadder II fame) managed to come out with some credit. Overall, a sorry script and lacklustre performances, allied with an atrociously out-of-place 80s synth-pop soundtrack, make it one to miss.

Radio Bikini (1988)

Documentary film using interviews and stock footage of the Able and Baker atom bomb tests at Bikini Atoll in 1946. Stark and frank.

Hangar 18 (1980)

Definitive b movie fare, with Robert Vaughn. Low budget Roswell clone.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Just finished watching "Hiding Out" (1987) w' Jon Cryer. I liked most of Cryer's movies in the 80's, and this is no exception. Some far fetched parts, ie...Jon Cryer with a beard!!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to watch Hiding Out.
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched another Annabeth Gish movie, Desert Bloom (1986) the other day.

"The story involves Rose Chismore's youth. She flashes back and remembers her coming-of-age.
Her recollections are sometimes less than sweet, particularly those of her troubled and alcoholic step-father.
Her memories of Robin, her first-love, are much happier and she also recalls her colorful Aunt Starr -- who's visit is fun but also detrimental to her family's health.
The setting of 1950s Las Vegas' bomb testing is increasingly significant to the development of the story." (IMDb)

The cast is strong: Annabeth Gish, Jon Voight, JoBeth Williams, Ellen Barkin and Jay Underwood.
Gish and Underwood are both good in their first feature film. Voight is also excellent as paranoid WWII veteran Jack.
50s mustīve been pretty depressing time to grow up in Vegas: constant fear of communists and the a-bomb. The Korean war and the military camps.
Hiding under school desks and wearing your identification tags. Did they really give those to students?

I liked this movie a lot. Beautiful piano theme from one of my favorite composers, Brad Fiedel, wraps up this drama nicely.

Underwood (The Boy Who Could Fly) and Gish (Shag, Mystic Pizza).
 -

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I quite enjoy Hiding Out,i thought it was pretty good fun and there was something about Annabeth Gish as well as i thought she looked really great in it like a cute girl next door type!

Kevdug have you seen Morgan Stewart's Coming Home as I really like that one also,very funny in parts and it also a sweet natured romance between Cryer and the very pretty viveka davis.

A good fun movie that's well worth checking out!

-

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Never heard of that one aTomiK...would like to check it out.

warrior...yes I have seen Morgan Stewart...I remember liking it, but don't remember much about it. I have the DVD, so might give it another whirl tonight! Same as Hiding Out...I knew I had seen it, but only vague memories. Again...I like Jon Cryer in the 80's...was also just asking about a Blu-ray release of Pretty In Pink? Thinking my wife would watch PIP...so may see this tonight. 4 days off from work, so hoping to see a handful of 80's classics over the next few days....

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

Kevdug, that area of Pittsburgh is steep and hilly. My Mother in law grew up n the Greenfield area of Pittsburgh, which is also very hilly.
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Cool Pitts. I like seeing some of these places on film...places with some decent history...communities made up primarily with hard working people...just have a "feel" I like, but can't explain...
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...communities made up primarily with hard working people...

That's my neighbourhood out of the running then [Big Grin]
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
rewatched The Cannonball Run (1981)

Itīs entertaining Burt and friends film but nothing more.
I loved the girls in this one: Adrienne Barbeau, Tara Buckman, Farrah Fawcett and very pretty Vickie Reigle.
Whoīs she you might ask. Well, she was the car hop and gave the sheik his kebab. Reigle was also in Playboy (May, 1982).

The film did well at the box office and i thought that the product placement was quite outrageous
I might liked the film even more if iīd enjoyed few BUDWEISERs instead of DR PEPPER [Big Grin]

Jackie Chan, Tara Buckman and Michael Hui.
 -

kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
I remember liking Cannonball Run as a kid, but haven't seen it since...may re-visit this one soon.

I nice relaxing Saturday morning watching "Youngblood". A few talking about his earlier...always good fun. I had actually forgot that they were playing hockey in Canada (Ontario). Rob Lowe and Patrick Swayze in their prime, a very cute Cynthia Gibb (with feathered hair that wasn't too far from a bad mullet...still cute though!). Gotta admit, the acting was actually quite horrible in this....but none more horrible that Keanu Reeves and his horrible French accent (forgot he was in this one). Good thing this I saw and loved this as a kid....might be hard to get through as a first watch for an adult!

*Cool to see them in front of the movie theatre with "Slumber Part Massacre" playing. All in all...good fun....

kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Just watched "Into The Night" (1985) w' Michelle Pfieffer and Jeff Goldblum. This was a bit of a hot mess....a short meaningless role for Dan Akroyd, a very random cameo from Jim Henson, and a weird bit from David Bowie. Directed by John Landis who actually also has a small part in the movie. All over the place for me. Ms Pfieffer was looking pretty cute in this one though!
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost Boys

Morgan Stewart was pretty good. Been wanting to rewatch but my only copy on VHS is still sealed and don't want to open it. Pretty stupid huh? I would rate it higher than Hiding Out although its a fun watch also. Gotta check out Cannonball Run sometime, its been forever.

Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just watched "Into The Night" (1985) w' Michelle Pfieffer and Jeff Goldblum. This was a bit of a hot mess....a short meaningless role for Dan Akroyd, a very random cameo from Jim Henson, and a weird bit from David Bowie. Directed by John Landis who actually also has a small part in the movie. All over the place for me. Ms Pfieffer was looking pretty cute in this one though!

Love that movie, it's weird and wonderful. And it's the moment Michelle Pfeiffer was at her most beautiful...
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -
What a cool poster art!

I must say I've always enjoyed Into The Night,I will admit the plot is a bit here and there and that the many random star cameo's can sometimes be a bit of a distraction but there's definitely something about the movie that I like and I'd go along the lines of what Paul said as for me also it comes across as a pretty weird and wonderful movie!

I agree about Morgan Stewart terd being slightly superior to Hiding Out though the latter still makes for a fun watch!

Going back to Michelle Pfeiffer she sure was beautiful back in the day!

kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
 -
What a cool poster art!

Going back to Michelle Pfeiffer she sure was beautiful back in the day!

She definitely was...she was beautiful enough for me to sit through "Grease 2". My wife's favorite movie is "Grease"...and she won't even watch Grease 2!!!
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
I may check it out again. A busy day so I was going back and forth with this one, watching bits at a time, which likely didn't help with it's craziness....
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Wound Sunday down by watching "FAME" (1980). This was a first watch for me, and I was entertained enough. Great 80's significance re: the great theme song by Irene Cara, and I loved watching the TV show as a kid...not sure if the TV show aged well (I have a couple seasons on DVD but never got around to watching any episodes yet).
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Midnight Crossing (1988) and damn it was a horrible thriller starring John Laughlin, Kim Cattrall, Daniel J. Tavanti, Faye Dunaway and Ned Beatty.
I wont quote the IMDb storyline this time because the man who wrote it, didnīt watch the same film i did.

Anyway, the movie has stupid plot, laughable dialogue and the cast is just lost like the boat theyīre in. Canīt understand why they did this movie but i guess the careers were going downhill fast at this point.

When exactly did these thrillers started to go the route "donīt believe anything you see, twist after twist after twist..."? Itīs just annoying but iīve seen enough of these so i knew all the "twists" beforehand.
On the plus side: Cattrall looks stunning and i liked the Florida locations. Also, the opening and end credits tunes were good.
The UK dvd included the trailer and i though "this film looks great, i want to see this one!" Then i remembered that i just watched it and it was pitiful.
So, the trailer rocks but the movie sucks [Big Grin]

Midnight Crossing trailer

kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Watched "Easy Money" today...Dangerfeild at his best. This is a great movie with tons of laughs...
  This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home