iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 13)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sidekicks I think is pretty good fun atomik,I don't dislike Hero and the terror but it's definitely one of Chuck's lesser films,I put Hero and the terror in the same category as some of Charlie Bronson's latter cannon output such as Assassination and Messenger of death as still being pretty entertaining but a little bit mediocre when compared to there very best!
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished watching Wildcats w' Goldie Hawn. This was an enjoyable film for me. Immediately caught off guard by the rapping at the beginning of the movie...though this was a bit older...when we weren't in the Rap era yet! Cools cast: a young Robyn Lively, Jan Hooks from Saturday Night Live fame, Wesley Snipes, Woody Harrleson...and a cameo by LL Cool J...what more could you ask for!

Re: the big guy that played Finch (always peddling for money)....man....he would have been perfectly cast as Fat Albert...so wish they would have made a movie in the 70's or 80's.

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wildcats is definitely a movie i´d like to see!
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched this pretty unknown film called Leader of the Band (1987).

"Eddie is a down-on-his-luck bar pianist who has just been fired from another job. Desperate for work, he finds a school looking for a leader for its hopelessly incompetent marching band.
Somehow, Eddie has to whip these kids into shape in time for the big band competition. Can he get them to march without tripping over their own feet, let alone win the contest?" (IMDb)

A marching band comedy? Yeah, it´s unknown for a reason and it doesn´t help that the film is unfunny with a cast full of nobodys.
I thought that Leader of the Band was going to be a kids/teen film but oh no, it stars this middle aged fella called Steve Landesberg.
I´ve never heard of his guy, please tell me if i´ve missed something. The only people i knew was Mercedes Ruehl and Gailard Sartain.
The story follows a familiar path: You have this loser who founds some hope. But there´s a rival high school (Larchment) who kick Olmstead´s butt.
But hey, not all hope is lost because we can still win the regional competition! [Smile]

Still, i found few semi-fun scenes. Especially the one´s where Sartain and Landesberg drink some whisky and talk about their past.

Finnish vhs cover art
 -

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last 80's movie I watched was Class (1983).
Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Class Zoe,what did you think of it?

Never seen Leader of the band atomik and from the sounds of it I don't think I want to!

[ 06. March 2016, 19:08: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched Cold Steel (1987) yesterday.

"On Christmas Eve Johnny Modine's father is murdered by a psycho cut-throat. The cop swears bloody revenge, though he's taken off the case.
He doesn't suspect yet that he's also target in a diabolic plan of revenge." (IMDb)

This was average thriller directed by Dorothy Ann Puzo, daughter of Mario Puzo (The Godfather).
The cast is interesting: Brad Davis, Jonathan Banks, Sharon Stone, Jay Acovone and Adam Ant.

On the plus side the car chase was cool (wild guess that it took half of the budget) and the soundtrack includes few decent rock tunes.
The kills are pretty nasty with some nice stiletto action here and there.

However, you can guess the plot twists million miles before they happen and the acting is decent at best.
Oh, there´s also a love scene between Davis and Stone but the lighting is too dark... These kind of things make me really mad [Big Grin]

UK vhs cover art for Cold Steel
 -

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Yeah I've seen Cold steel atomik,watched the UK dvd a year or so back,it's OK but I was expecting a lot more from it,cool cast but only so-so action scenes!

Poor old Brad Davis his career never really took off especially after such a terrific performance in the classic Midnight express,41 years old when he passed away as well in 1991 is no age either!

There's definitely something about that Cold steel UK vhs front cover that sticks out [Big Grin]

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
previous quote from the young warrior There's definitely something about that Cold steel UK vhs front cover that sticks out

yes Warrior.. RIGHT CENTER!

Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched "An Officer And a Gentleman" (1982) this past weekend (a very rare triple feature this past weekend...yay me). I really enjoyed this movie. Love Debra Winger, cool to see a young David Keith and David Carruso, I love Lisa Eilbacher (especially in "On The Right Track"...one of my favorite 80's girls), and great to see Louis Gossett Jr nab an Oscar for this role...he was great. Could have done without seeing Robert Loggia's behind though!

My biggest complaint is the sappy clapping at the end of the movie (a la Can't Buy Me Love)...it just didn't fit in this type of movie. There was also a scene with Richard Gere in which the acting was horrible (when Louis is trying to push him to quit)...man...it was bad enough to fire the Director!! [Frown] Overall, really enjoyable for me though....I'd give it an 8 outta 10.

[ 09. March 2016, 16:47: Message edited by: kevdugp73 ]

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"A man awakens from a coma to discover he has a psychic detective ability."

One word: Disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, this is a good film -- it just doesn't compare to the novel. IMHO.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
I've actually not seen this J...may give it a try. Did you watch any of the TV series with Anthony Michael Hall?
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should definitely watch it, kev.

Nope, I've never seen a single episode of the TV series. I need to correct that.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're watching a lot of films lately Kev! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I love The dead zone,never read the novel to it though so i can't compare,I think the only king novel I've ever read was The dark half but i can't remember what I actually thought of it!
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
You're watching a lot of films lately Kev! [Big Grin]

Ha...last weekend I was able to watch 3 movies...which is practically unheard of! Remember all my old posts about buying tons of movies, but never any time to watch them! My two boys are a bit older now, and more independent, so I'm able to sneek in a few movies here and there....feels good!

*I have an older 80's TV in my retro room, and I hooked up a small DVD player to the old VCR, and watched a couple of the movies on that...gives it a good ol' vintage feel. Not perfectly set up to watch movies (set up more like a kitchen), but I'm able to drag in a long comfy chair. Pure heaven it is!!!

kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Finally got around to seeing Wall Street last night (first viewing). I thought it was pretty good...though can't say I loved it like most seem to!

Love the New York setting and an intro from Frank Sinatra to top it off. Quite an all star cast and nice to see James Spader. I was looking forward to seeing Daryl Hannah in the movie, but wasn't lovin her in this one...not sure what threw me off...wasn't bomb shell beautiful like I expected. *Some nice 80's staples....vintage can of pepsi, old computer graphics, brick cell phones, rich people with a robot! And another reference to fly fishing in Canada! Overall...pretty enjoyable.

*Also, never heard the Talking Heads song "This Must Be The Place"...really liked this!

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if you had seen it back when it was released if you would have liked it more kevdug.
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Probably way over my head at that age Terd. Again, I liked it...but then I see it peoples' top 10 lists...just not here for me. Coming form someone with Flasdance on their top 10... [Big Grin]
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember watching Wall Street when I was in college. I really liked it, except for the horrible acting from Daryl Hannah. One of my roommates thought Michael Douglas was a fox!
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

A pretty good cast in Wall Street for that time. I remember Charlie Sheen being the hot young actor and Michael Douglas was pretty big also. Darryl Hannah was hot also at that time. Spader as mentioned by kevdug, Chuck Sheen and Ray Finkle
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Douglas WAS a fox. Even as a dude, I fully recognise that 80's MD was 100% Grade A man beef.
Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Watched "Wolfen" last night on Blu-ray. Wanted to love this...but I just didn't [Roll Eyes] . I thought the pace was a bit slow. I did love the look/feel of the movie and cool filming, and liked seeing a young Albert F and Gregory Hines. *I had started this a while back and lost interest, but chopped it up to being tired, so always planned a re-look. Unfortunately...same response. The Blu-ray was actually a bit pricey when I got it a while back. Always liked the cover art!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched tv-film called Coward of the County (1981).

This was a decent little film set in the early 40s about a young man named Tommy who has promised his dying father to be a man of peace.
However, the fellow villagers bully him all the time, especially after the war starts and he doesn´t list because he has to take care of his mother.
But then they rape his soon to be wife and Tommy has finally had enough.

Like Gambler, this film is also based on a Kenny Rogers song. Rogers plays Tommy´s uncle who´s a preacher.
Fredric Lehne gives a good performance as Tommy and it was also nice to see Largo Woodruff, Ana Alicia and Noble Willingham.

A bit preachy stuff but not bad made-for-tv flick.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Dominick and Eugene (1988).

"Dominick and Eugene are twins, but Dominick is a little bit slow due do an accident in his youth. They live together, with Dominick working as garbage man
to put Eugene through medical school. Their relationship becomes strained when Eugene must decide between his devotion to his brother,
or his need to go away to complete his training. Things are also not helped by Dominick's co-worker, or Eugene's budding romance." (IMDb)

What a great, sympathetic and touching drama!
Ray Liotta did a fine job as Eugene but Tom Hulce was simply amazing!
Jamie Lee Curtis and Todd Graff are the other stars. Curtis´ role isn´t that big but Graf was fun as the fellow garbageman.
I liked the fact that this was shot in Pittsburgh, not always NY or LA.
The first hour or so is mainly fun stuff but the drama gets super heavy after that like it tends to do in these kind of films.
I admit that i shed few tears [Wink] Highly recommended!

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home