iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 23)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
80s movies I watched throughout 2016 are:

The Osterman Weekend (1983)
Short Circuit (1986)
Thief (1981)
Peggy Sue Got Married (1986)
Kill Me Again (1989)
Slam Dance (1987)
Rampage (1987)
Bloodhounds of Broadway (1989)
Dead Ringers (1988)
Working Girl (1988)
Desperately Seeking Susan (1985)
Racing with the Moon (1984)
Someone to Watch Over Me (1987)
Vampire's Kiss (1988)
Light of Day (1987)
Risky Business (1983)
Tango and Cash (1989)
Die Hard (1988)

Posts: 4125 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some great underrated ones on your list in addition to the acknowledged classics, LL. Vampire's Kiss, with Nic Cage's nuttiest performance ever, needs a bigger cult.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing Wings Hauser up the top there reminds that one day I really do need to watch Vice Squad,I have seen bits and pieces over the years but not the whole film for some reason or the other.

Some great films there Leo and I find Vampire's Kiss to be much more fun than it's given credit for,Cage's performance is totally bonkers but also absolutely hilarious!

I keep trying to talk my brother in-law into watching it as he really rips it out of NIC Cage and basically can't stand him and I keep saying that this performance will change his mind on him and that he would laugh despite himself but he won't have any Of it!

[ 21. December 2016, 05:45: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YW, Vice Squad is a classic 80s B-movie directed by the great Gary Sherman, who should've had a much bigger career. (If you ever get the chance to see his UK horror film Deadline--retitled as Raw Meat in the U.S.--from 1973, which it. It's brilliant all around.) Vice Squad moves along at a good pace and has all the seedy/sleazy elements present. And it has the quintessential Wings Hauser performance as a nasty pimp who beats his girls with a coat hanger on a stick. Wings makes such a great villain.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Gary Sherman was a very decent director and from his Directorial efforts that I've seen I like both Dead And Buried and Wanted Dead or Alive with Rutger Hauer a great deal,also the PG-13 thriller Lisa was rather well done and quite tense at times despite its restraints.

Actually even the critically savaged and in all truth quite weak Poltergeist outing part 3 which he directed i think had its charms!

Never seen Raw Meat but heard so many good things about it over the years and with Donald Pleasance in the lead and it being shot in and around London I can just imagine it being pretty great!

[ 23. December 2016, 08:28: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

It's not going to take a genius but can anyone guess from my pic I took above which movie set around Xmas I watched last night?

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Volkswagen gives it away. Graemlins:-P;-):-D:-X
Posts: 1995 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Well done Terd I think your right the Volkswagen gave it away! [Big Grin]
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta love Gremlins!
Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The War of the Roses (1989)

"A married couple try everything to get each other to leave the house in a vicious divorce battle." (IMDb)

This was a good dark comedy. Surprisingly well made film i have to say, DeVito sure has some skills.
It´s fun to watch Douglas and Turner going berserk.

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Revisited Wes Craven's Shocker again and loved every minute of it,such a fun Horror and for me easily amongst his (Craven's) top 5.

Looks and sounds awesome on Blu Ray as well and features some pretty cool extras!

https://youtu.be/AJ45o5nBbA8 - Shocker trailer (1989).

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Shocker is highly entertaining film with lots of comedy in it. The blu looks so electrifying i just might need to update [Cool]
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Death Wish 2 again for the first time in a little while,great sequel this with Bronson returning as Vigilante Paul Kersey this time along with his real life wife Jill Ireland.

Director Michael Winner really ups the violence and sleaze levels here especially in this the uncut version (Dutch DVD) that I own which contains a couple of rather unpleasant rape scenes,still it's an exciting and action packed follow up with Bronson doing his usual great job of taking out the garbage!

https://youtu.be/qdlGpQmfvwk - Death Wish 2 trailer (1982).

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Also for the first time in many years watched the hilarious 1986 Paul Mazursky comedy Down And Out In Beverley Hills starring Richard Dreyfuss,Nick Nolte,Bette Middler and Little Richard.

Really fun flick this with many a laugh and a cool soundtrack (not heard Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime for an absolute age) plus some excellent performance's especially from Richard Dreyfuss who seems to have the knack for these comedic roles but as good as he is here even he is outshone by Mike The Dog as Matisse a beautiful black and white faced collie dog who steals the show!

Highly recommended!

https://youtu.be/q3OHpuHpl9c - Down And Out In Beverley Hills trailer (1986).

https://youtu.be/F3d6za8LnGU - Opening credits featuring the track Once In A Lifetime by Talking Heads.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Tobe Hooper's 1986 remake of Invaders From Mars (Blu Ray rental) the other night,forgot that I already actually own this on DVD on a double bill feature along with 1983's Strange Invaders.

Anyhow it's not a bad family Sci-Fi adventure with some pretty decent visual effects as well as some rather wacky looking Martians from the mind of the late great Stan Winston.

-

Never seen the 1953 original but I know it's held in fairly high regard so hopefully one day I'll get the chance to check that out also!

Good cast here with real life Mom and son Karen Black and Hunter Carson along with Timothy Bottoms,James Karen and a really fun performance from Louise Fletcher (One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest) as a rather mean spirited school teacher.

Yeah so overall pretty good fun and my 9 year old son must have really enjoyed it as he watched it again the following day!

https://youtu.be/t8BXNW36vbc - Invaders From Mars trailer (1986).

[ 09. January 2017, 08:19: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Deadly Messages (1985)

This was an entertaining and atmospheric tv-thriller directed by Jack Bender (The Midnight Hour, Lost series etc.)

The film stars Dynasty´s Kathleen Beller and Michael Brandon from Dempsey & Makepeace fame.
Both leads did a good job and the film also has few professionals like Dennis Franz and Kurtwood Smith among the supporting cast.
Brad Fiedel composed the score and you can definitely hear the Terminator influences.

What we have here is some Ouija board stuff, amnesia and mental issues and of course a killer on the loose. Good stuff.

Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Die Hard
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
The original Die Hard is most certainly a classic,never seen Deadly Messages Atomik but it sounds interesting what with the Ouija board plot plus the solid cast.

-

Watched my old VHS of The Wild Life (last time I checked the tape it played awful but this time strangely enough it played perfectly [Confused] ) a really fun comedy drama from 1984 with an awesome all star cast featuring Eric Stoltz,Lea Thompson,Rick Moranis,Jenny Wright,Randy Quaid etc and for me a career best performance from the late Chris Penn.

Cool soundtrack as well as some great laughs I especially liked the strip club scene which had me laughing out loud and the chaotic end party where Chris Penn and his wrestling buddies find there out of control house party too confined for dance space so they charge at there walls knocking through a hole into the adjoining Neighbours apartment!

-

The beautiful Sherilyn Fenn turns up very briefly during the mainic end party as does Chris Penn's real life father Leo Penn who give his sons character of Tommy a clip around the ear for his misbehaviour!

As much as I like Fast Times At Ridgemont High I would say that I like The Wild Life equally as much or actually probably a fraction more.

Great fun!

https://youtu.be/OMCKBotk3p0 - The Wild Life trailer (1984).

[ 16. January 2017, 07:37: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
The Wild Life definitely needs a rewatch!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Watched the 1987 boxing drama Heart Starring Brad Davis and a young looking Steve Buscemi last night,was not a bad watch this though the down on his luck boxer come good story had been done to death even way back in 87 when this came out but the performances were all good plus it had a slight difference to the others in just how downbeat and bleak it felt at times.

Loved the piano music score to this which also features in the trailer -
https://youtu.be/j_8TE5-Dxuc and is played during Brad Davis's training scenes,the fight choreography felt a bit off at times to me and it wasn't helped by the over amplified sound effects but yeah overall this wasn't bad and I'm going to give it a recommendation especially if you like 80s boxing flicks!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Raise the Titanic (1980)

"A group of Americans are interested in raising the ill-fated Ocean liner Titanic. One of the team members finds out the Russians also have plans to raise the ship from its watery grave.
Why all the interest ? A rare mineral on board could be used to power a sound beam that will knock any missile out of the air when entering US airspace." (IMDb)

So-so adventure film directed by Jerry Jameson and based on the book of the same name by Clive Cussler.

I kinda liked the first 45 mins or so (the planning, ship searching) and the ship raising sequence looks cool. The Titanic model was raised more than 50 times until a satisfactory shot was acquired.
After that it´s quite boring, the soviets give a little hard time while the ship is towed into New York harbor but that´s it.

Richard Jordan gives a good performance and the rest of the cast is also pretty solid. The score, composed by John Barry, is one of the highlights of the movie.
So, it´s a mixed bag and of course historically inaccurate. The wreck of the real Titanic was found in 1985 and they found out that the ship broke in half as she foundered.

The film was a disaster at the box office, it grossed $7 million against a budget of $40 million.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Night Crossing (1982)

"Two men want to escape from East Germany (under Communist rule) but they will only go if they can take their families with them. Based on a true story." (IMDb)

Decent Disney film with one surprising, more violent moment.
The cast did a good job, especially Hurt & Alexander and Glynnis O´Connor looked cute. Not very exciting tale, feels more like a tv-movie.
Love the poster and the opening credits theme from Jerry Goldsmith is good.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Never seen The Night Crossing Atomik but remember first seeing the trailer for it many many years back and being somewhat intrigued by it!

I agree that's some cool poster artwork there,sad that Sir John Hurt has now departed us as he was such a quality actor.

Last movie of Hurt's that I watched was only the other week actually and that was White Mischief (about a real life murder case in 1940s Kenya) in which he has a fairly small role,was a bit of a slow paced affair but Still very watchable and rather well made with a sizzling performance from the beautiful Greta Scacchi.

[ 31. January 2017, 09:22: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rivers Edge. Well that was disturbing. I had never seen this movie before. Crispin Glover definitely grates on the nerves, even more so in this than BTTF. What else can I say? A bunch of juvenile delinquents, and a Mother who has no idea how to raise her kids and is more concerned about her boyfriend. I don't want to give away any spoilers, so I will leave it at that.
Young warrior, I'd love to see The Wild Life again. I remember going to the theater to see it with my friend when we were kids.

Posts: 2292 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
River's Edge is disturbing, but it's very well done, a small gem.
  This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home