iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Last 20** movie you HAVE seen (Page 88)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 97 pages: 1  2  3  ...  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  ...  95  96  97   
Author Topic: Last 20** movie you HAVE seen
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aTomiK, the Ferris Bueller reference in Deadpool is even better than Ferris's breaking of the fourth wall. Not really a spoiler since it has been heavily reported on line and in the media, but Deadpool lovingly recreates the post-credit sequence--"Go home!"--of Ferris Bueller, right down to the wallpaper on the hallway walls. And it has a lot of additional fun stuff about the upcoming Deadpool sequel. Deadpool has so many loving nods to the 80s from Ferris to Juice Newton and Wham! It's a great film.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, sounds interesting.
Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched Nightcrawler (2014) last night.

"NIGHTCRAWLER is a thriller set in the nocturnal underbelly of contemporary Los Angeles. Jake Gyllenhaal stars as Lou Bloom, a driven young man desperate for work
who discovers the high-speed world of L.A. crime journalism. Finding a group of freelance camera crews who film crashes, fires, murder and other mayhem,
Lou muscles into the cut-throat, dangerous realm of nightcrawling - where each police siren wail equals a possible windfall and victims are converted into dollars and cents.
Aided by Rene Russo as Nina, a veteran of the blood-sport that is local TV news, Lou blurs the line between observer and participant to become the star of his own story." (IMDb)

They say that Nightcrawler is a neo-noir thriller but i think it more as a black comedy or maybe red comedy, blood red.
Gyllenhaal gives a great performance as the witty anti-hero Bloom and everyone loves L.A. night lights. We can see some breathtaking scenery here.
The story is entertaining and it just sucks you in right from the start so i definitely recommend this one.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nightcrawler is very entertaining. Gyllenhaal gives a likable/scary performance. I'm with you. Tonally, I'm not sure if it's a noir or a comedy. Anyway, it is pretty funny. And it's always great to see Rene Russo and Bill Paxton.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nightcrawler is fantastic!

I watched and enjoyed The Canal, Warrior. Kept me guessing and loved the ending [Smile]

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Last Vegas (2013)

"Three friends take a break from their day-to-day lives to throw a bachelor party in Las Vegas for their last remaining single pal."

Decent. The ride that Douglas & Steenburgen were on:

-

If I ever go to Vegas, I'll have to go on it -- NOT!

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We watched Nightcrawler a few weeks ago. I thought it was good, filled with dark humor.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me and my wife watched "About Time" last night...Rachel McAdams, Domhnall Gleeson (pre General Hux!)and Margot Robbie (looking more beautiful than I've ever seen her). I had never heard of this one before...we were scoping out Netflix and rolled the dice on this...it was actually quite enjoyable. Centers around Domhnall's ability to time travel (can only go backwards...not forwards) and primary "lesson" is about taking the time in life to stop and smell the flowers...paying attention to detail the first time around and enjoying life to the fullest. Definitely recommend this one...
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched erotic thriller called More Mercy aka Bad Bizness (2003)

Damn, this was bad. Never thought that once great Jim Wynorski (here as Bob E. Brown) would sink this low.
When it comes to erotic thrillers i don´t expect too much but this was just lazy moviemaking.
The only good thing was Julie K. Smith (from Pretty Smart), she´s still a peach.

kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Dredd (2012) recently. Thought this was pretty enjoyable. Actor playing Dredd was familiar, but couldn't quite peg him....after IMDB figured out it was Bones from the new Star Trek....well cast. I didn't see Stallone's Judge Dredd, so no comparison...but I'd recommend this one! Lot's of action....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched The Martian (2015) the other night.

"During a manned mission to Mars, Astronaut Mark Watney is presumed dead after a fierce storm and left behind by his crew. But Watney has survived and finds himself stranded and alone on the hostile planet.
With only meager supplies, he must draw upon his ingenuity, wit and spirit to subsist and find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive." (IMDb)

Entertaining film but a bit too safe and predictable, made with a big audience in mind.
Matt Damon is good as Watkins but he´s a bit too clever, i would´ve liked to see more difficulties along the way.
Also, there´s too many familiar songs on the soundtrack. Felt like the film just tried to woo the audience.
I liked Summer´s Hot Stuff because it did fit the scene very well but then there came Starman, Waterloo, Love Train... Enough is enough.
Technically this was great like they mostly are nowadays but i would have liked deeper emotions.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I think that I like The Martian a little more, aTomiK, but I tend to agree with you: It's very entertaining, but it's not a masterpiece or best picture nominee because it is a "safe" picture. It is all audience pleasing in the broadest possible way. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it tries way too hard. Along with Intersteller, which I was a lot less enchanted with that tried so hard to tug at the heart strings and manipulate its audience, at its core The Martian is screenplay formula # 101: There's a disaster, and one man has to survive nature. He does so by ingenuity and keeping his sense of humor and cool head. Just when you think he has it made, there's a setback. He perseveres, and it looks good...but then, wait for it, there's another setback. Finally, against all odds, it's over, there are hugs all around, and you leave the theatre feeling good and that your money was well spent. Add some 70s music that everyone secretly loves--like ABBA--and mate it to the state-of-the-art special effects just about every film has these days, and you have a dynamite commercial package and big box office. No original thinking was involved at all in the creative process...
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I had a good night's viewing last night,first I watched the 2014 heist thriller/character drama - The Forger starring John Travolta,Christopher Plummer and Tye Sheridan,I enjoyed this one more than expected,it is actually more of a character driven drama than a thriller but the cast i thought were really great together,especially the three leads - Travolta,Plummer and Sheridan,it sort of reminded me a bit of something along the lines of the underrated Sidney Lumet comedy crime drama - Family Business from 1989 which starred Sean Connery, Dustin Hoffman and Matthew Broderick.

I say it's definitely worth spending 90 minutes or so of your time checking this one out,you've got a great cast,an admittedly daft but fairly gripping plot and overall it's just pretty good fun!

I'd probably rate it about a 7.0 maybe pushing towards an 7.5/10. Good Stuff!

https://youtu.be/GAgDjpawyzA -The Forger trailer (2014).

and then I watched -

-

The 2012 romantic comedy - Stuck In Love starring Greg Kinnear,Jennifer Connelly,Nat Wolff and Lilly Collins,this was a very likeable romantic comedy drama with some really good performances,it is actually the cast i thought that make this film,Greg Kinnear is ace here as was Jennifer connelly as also to was Nat Wolff and Lilly Collins,there's some great location shooting (Wrightsville Beach North Carolina looked stunning) as well plus it's also really well written and looking on IMDb I can't believe how badly this film tanked at the box office - 34,000 dollars opening weekend,OK it was only playing to 21 screens but that's still not great is it!

This is another one I'd say that's well worth tracking down in particular if your a fan of any of the cast or a big fan of romantic comedy drama's,it is a bit light on the comedy but as a romantic drama it definitely comes recommended!

I'd rate this also somewhere between a 7 and a 7.5 out of 10.

https://youtu.be/ctXbDE1m7v0 -Stuck In Love trailer (2012).

Good soundtrack as well features the great track - Home - https://youtu.be/DHEOF_rcND8 by Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros.

[ 20. March 2016, 06:40: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, here's a few...

Space Station 76 (2014) starring Patrick Wilson, Liv Tyler, Matt Bomer, Marisa Coughlan, Kylie Rogers, Kali Rocha, Jerry O'Connell, Keir Dullea

Retro-styled black comedy that raised very few laughs and seemed confused beyond measure. The fact that a mere ELEVEN days separated its theatrical release and its dvd/streaming release says it all. I would only give this 2/10, and that's probably being generous due to the 70s styling of the station.

Appleseed Alpha (2014)

Latest in the long running Appleseed anime series, it's visually stunning - better even for me than Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. The storyline is strong, with characters you can engage with and action sequences that run up to - but never quite overstep - the line of believability. Worth catching on Netflix if you are able.

The Ridiculous 6 (2015) A Netflix Original, this comedy western had a pretty stellar cast, with leads Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider and Nick Nolte joined by cameos from Harvey Keitel, Steve Buscemi, Vanilla Ice (yeah) John Turturro and Jon Lovitz.

It tells the story of a white man (Sandler), raised by Apache after the murder of his mother, who sets off on a quest when his real father is kidnapped. On the way to rescue his old man, he finds out that his Pa was very much a ladies man, and by the time they reach the finale (via a number of very well choreographed robberies) he has discovered five half-brothers who could not form a more diverse ethnic group... I really enjoyed this. The script is funny, it's well filmed, and the western scenery is beautiful.

And finally... Star Wars: The Force Awakens

It took me far too long to get to the cinema.

Good stuff (actually great stuff):

Ridley and Boyega were excellent, really believable and likeable. Boyega especially added a new dimension to the whole Stormtrooper vibe that previously I'd only ever seen in Family Guy's Blue Harvest. Makes you wonder why there's not more rebellion within the First Order.

Ridley is a brilliant actress and was ideally cast - she's feisty, emotional, strong, vulnerable, and unconventionally pretty. All of which make for a leading lady that fitted the mould perfectly. And I love that she's related to Private Godfrey from Dad's Army.

The Falcon reveal was utterly superb. One of the best pieces of cinema I've seen for many a year.

I loved the many throwbacks to the original trilogy, such as when the chess board was accidentally triggered. There were many that I'm sure I also missed, and that's why repeat viewings are on the plan.

It went a massive step towards wiping the memory of Episodes 1-3, which I cannot watch again - and thankfully now will never need to...

Leia, Han and Luke - excellent to see them again. And Han gave a performance that was perfect for the mature bounty hunter/smuggler.

Effects - excellent. Exciting and tense without being all 'Crouching Jedi Hidden Sith', which we sadly saw in the prequels.

Stuff that was less than excellent:

Kylo Ren. Should never have taken off his mask, because I can never take medieval fops that seriously. He was dark and threatening, and then after the reveal, it was like Lord Percy had stepped onto the screen. And it was made very clear before this that he was a subservient crew member. He simply wasn't in Vader's class.

The death planet / starkiller thing. Surely, when a star has that much matter removed, it'll implode way before it's completely gone, because the core will be much denser and it'll go nova before being completely stripped. And even if it didn't, the planet and everyone on it would then surely die, so all the Resistance needed to do was hide until it had been used? Visually brilliant, but physically and intellectually stupid.

Still - loved it, so niggles aside, it gets a solid 9 out of ten and is on pre-order...

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Happy Campers (2001)

"When a summer camp director gets injured, the diverse group of college freshmen counselors take charge and spice up the everyday routine of the camp." (IMDb)

Pretty wicked summer camp flick from Daniel "Heathers" Waters. Starring Brad Renfro, Dominique Swain, Jordan Bridges, Jaime King, Justin Long, Emily Bergl and Keram Malicki-Sanchez.
Some fun dialogue (lots of sex talk) and crazy things going on at Camp Bleeding Dove. It´s good but not 80s good.

The counselors
 -

kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
On my way out the door to see Batman Vs Superman. I know the reviews haven't been great...but gotta see for myself!
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Wowzers!! Gotta say...I loved it! Reviews were less than generous...and there were some valid points, but mostly from a "die hard comic book fan" perspective. I loved and collected comics as a kid, but was kinda all over the place, in that I just read a little of everything, but didn't follow story lines too closely...basically have a general familiarity with tons of characters, but limited knowledge of specific story lines.

I thought the action was great (a bit of overkill similar to Superman Returns), I thought Ben made a pretty cool Batman, and I loooooved Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman (the trailers and pictures don't do her justice)...she was beautiful...and pretty bad a**. And as expected, a few brief cameos from some future Justice Leaguers....

I really disliked Jesse Eisenburg as Lex Luthor...and I think I dislike Holly Hunter in general! *Pace was also a bit slow at the beginning (which worried me at first), but I feel it picked up mid way through and made up for it.

Overall very entertaining and I'd recommend. I even shed a genuine tear or two at the end, which is hard for a movie like this to accomplish. Oh...and did I say how much I loved Wonder Woman!

Also just learning that they are releasing an "R" version in the summer...I'll wait to see it again at that time....pretty cool idea I think!

[ 26. March 2016, 02:29: Message edited by: kevdugp73 ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Sounds pretty good! Yeah, we need more superwomen on screen. Wouldn´t mind seeing Black Widow movie with Scarlett Johansson, she´s a fox [Cool]
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Sounds pretty good! Yeah, we need more superwomen on screen. Wouldn´t mind seeing Black Widow movie with Scarlett Johansson, she´s a fox [Cool]

True Dat! Scarlett is currently one of my favs...I would snort her dandruff!! (stolen from a TV show) [Eek!] [Big Grin]
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other 2000's film I've seen recently:

Dad's Army (2016) starring Toby Jones, Bill Nighy, Bill Pullman, Michael Gambon, and Catherine Zeta Jones.

Lovely little film, based on the well-loved sitcom from the sixties/seventies. All of the characters are portrayed as the characters, and not (for example) as Toby Jones playing Arthur Lowe playing Captain Mainwaring. That's far more important than it sounds, and shows that the actors have a real feel not just for the role, but the importance of the role to the audience. I admit to being cautious, but I loved it.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Edge of Tomorrow (2014).

"A military officer is brought into an alien war against an extraterrestrial enemy who can reset the day and know the future.
When this officer is enabled with the same power, he teams up with a Special Forces warrior to try and end the war." (IMDb)

It was highly entertaining sci-fi actioner based on manga series and starring Tom Cruise who gave a fine performance.
Someone said that it´s like Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers and that´s pretty accurate minus the OTT Verhoevenism of course [Cool]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched the enjoyable 2014 rom-com Blended starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore,must admit that i've not seen many of Sandler's films but from the ones that I have seen so far I'd rate this one quite highly.

I still think The wedding Singer is my favourite!

Some good laughs here though and I've always really dug Drew Barrymore - 7/10.

https://youtu.be/V6cKLTmDB-k - blended (2014) trailer.

Any of these below worth a recommendation?

The Cobbler
Funny People
Grown Ups 1 & 2
Anger Management
I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry
50 First Dates
You Don't Mess With The Zohan
The Longest Yard
Reign Over Me
Mr Deeds
Spanglish
Jack And Jill
Punch Drunk love
Click

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Punch Drunk Love!
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
50 First Dates is quite good as well.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Cheers Helen I will look at checking both out when I get the chance!
  This topic comprises 97 pages: 1  2  3  ...  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  ...  95  96  97   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home