iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Last 20** movie you HAVE seen (Page 93)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 97 pages: 1  2  3  ...  90  91  92  93  94  95  96  97   
Author Topic: Last 20** movie you HAVE seen
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I´ve read some articles about The Neon Demon and i´m sure that it´s cool, weird and fantastic [Smile]
Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Two parents fall in love over the course of a single day while playing hooky from their children's college tour. - Taken from IMDb.

This was a really enjoyable and at times quite touching and funny romantic comedy which features some great on screen chemistry between Andy Garcia and Vera Farmiga as well as some beautiful location shooting in Washington state http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1483324/locations and a decent but all to brief performance from the cool veteran actor Tom Skerrit who's always been a personal favourite of mine!

Known as "At Middleton" in the U.S this was a very pleasant,likeable little romantic comedy (in all truth it's actually more of an intelligent adult comedy than a traditional rom-com) that bucks the trend a bit in that it doesn't quite end as predictably as you think it will do!

Highly recommended especially if you like both leads!

https://youtu.be/vQK7Ve3Ag0Q - "Just One Day" aka "At Middleton" trailer (2013).

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Your Highness (2011)

Sword & Sandal spectacle spoof starring James Franco, Natalie Portman, Zooey Deschanel and Justin Theroux.

I watched this on TV last night. I didn't know anything about this movie, and at first i was like : WTF am i watching ??
But in the end it wasn't nearly as bad as i initially thought after the first 15 min. It kinda grows on you, i guess.
Think of it as a bawdy version of The Princess Bride, and you're not too far off.

I did like the fantasy element, plus there are some good set pieces (after all, it did have a budget of $50 million),
as well as a couple of decent laughs (in a pubescent kind of way).

Check out the trailer : www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRzQigZihJU

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YW I was wanting to check out that movie. I like both Andy Garcia and Vera Farmiga. Johnny Rourke, I remember Your Highness. We rented it from the Redbox, after Dexter Motley Rulz recommended it to me. It was really funny.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Secret Life of Pets. It was really funny and cute. I needed a laugh after the hell I've been through. There were quite a few parents with small children in the theater, and they were all on their best behavior! I was completely surprised.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
YW I was wanting to check out that movie. I like both Andy Garcia and Vera Farmiga. Johnny Rourke, I remember Your Highness. We rented it from the Redbox, after Dexter Motley Rulz recommended it to me. It was really funny.

Pittsburghgirl if you like both leads I think that you'd probably dig it as despite a bit of a surprise downer ending it is a very well made movie and in general still a feel good film!
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of Dreamworks movies - both of which are form 2010 and both of which are excellent.

Monsters vs Aliens and Megamind are movies that show why I would generally rather catch a Dreamworks movie than a Pixar one...

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lights Out was lazy crap.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of these new horror films--like The Purge series--hold no interest for me, so it's not surprising that Lights Out was a wash-out. I have to admit that young producer Jason Blum and Blumhouse have the knack for doing el cheapo $(US)5 million films that are all almost instant success stories, no matter what. It's really lazy film making because you know that even if it's a dud Blumhouse film, it'll make about $15-$20 million in the U.S., which is still hugely profitable. I heard Lights Out, another $5 million wonder, just crossed the $100 million mark worldwide. And Blum has zero incentive to try anything else, seeing as how he took a bath on the live-action Josie and the Pussycats film.

The Babadook was about the only recent horror film that I thought was really good, though I didn't mind the first Sinister, and the re-imagining of The Town that Dreaded Sundown was great for about two-thirds of the way until it fell apart, the victim of studio tampering.

[ 31. August 2016, 18:44: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never used to have any expectations for new horrors but stuff like Sinister 1 and 2, Oculus (which I know you wasn't that keen on) and As Above So Below are to blame for giving me glimmers of hope when I go to see a new one now. I haven't seen The Babadook yet or either version of Town.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Spring Breakers (2012)

"Four college girls hold up a restaurant in order to fund their spring break vacation.
While partying/drinking/taking drugs they are arrested only to be bailed out by a drug and arms dealer." (IMDb)

This teen fantasy written and directed by Harmony Korine gave me mixed feelings. Sometimes entertaining, sometimes irritating.
It has a message but most of the time it is just style over substance.

James Franco plays the gangster wannabe Alien who´s mentally a little kid with big toys.
The movie leaves the girl characters hollow, maybe it´s intentional and Korine tries to tell that they could be anyone.

I didn´t like the stupid OTT ending. I know it´s just fantasy but give me a break.
The girls should lie down there on the ground with Alien. Bring back the 70s with some realism and not so happy endings [Big Grin]

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
That film is one of the worst things in life.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
What, no love for the bikini chicks? [Big Grin] Well, i tried to find the good things, there wasn´t many.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Tut!

I usually liked James Franco but this was just cringe. I haven't watched another one of his since haha.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I don't know what it was about Spring Breakers but I sure did have one hell of a headache after watching it and I agree with you guys that at times it was both seriously annoying and totally devoid of any realism!

I thought the girls were nice though! [Big Grin]

Also I think your dead on there about The Town That Dreaded Sundown remake Crash as that ending was seriously daft and it was a bit like an unmasking from an episode of Scooby Doo!

Sad really as what had gone prior to it was very well done,i own the Babadook but I am yet to check it out but will do and will let you know my thoughts!

[ 25. August 2016, 00:38: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Crimson Peak (2015)

"In the aftermath of a family tragedy, an aspiring author is torn between love for her childhood friend and the temptation of a mysterious outsider.
Trying to escape the ghosts of her past, she is swept away to a house that breathes, bleeds - and remembers." (IMDb)

Watched this pretty entertaining gothromantic ghost story written and directed by Guillermo del Toro.
The film looks technically very nice but i found the story surprisingly straight so no surprises there.
It´s not that scary either but i enjoyed the pretty nasty knife battle in the end.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Sideways (2004)

"Two men reaching middle age with not much to show but disappointment embark on a week-long road trip through California's wine country, just as one is about to take a trip down the aisle." (IMDb)

Excellent road drama with great cast and beautiful California wine country locations.

Cheers
 -

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Helen, James Franco is really good in the excellent mini-series 11.22.63, based on the Stephen King novel about a nice history teacher who goes back in time to kill Lee Harvey Oswald before he assassinates Kennedy. He finds that the task isn't as straightforward as he thinks. It's a terrific adaptation of an excellent book, and Franco hasn't been this good in anything in a long time. Sarah Gadon, from the last couple of Cronenberg films, has a breakthrough part as his love interest in 1963. And I give high marks to Josh Duhamel, brilliantly cast against type, as a butcher who is also a wife-beater. He's scary. I was alive in 1963, so I can say that the series replicates that era perfectly, right down to how men wore hats and women wore white gloves when they went out. You'll love it.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Stan Jeter (Beau Mirchoff) is a new detective that gets invited to play a game of poker with several veteran police officers and detectives. Each one tells Stan about various insights they gained from different murder cases they investigated, which turns out to be invaluable when Stan is captured and imprisoned by a vicious, anonymous assailant (Michael Eklund). He finds that he has been imprisoned with Amy (Halston Sage), the daughter of a police officer, and that he must use the stories of his fellow poker players to find a way for both himself and Amy to escape.Taken from wiki

A very cool flick this that plays out like a mixture of a police procedure thriller and a Saw style horror movie that features a really twisty turny plot as well as moments of extreme black humour overall i'd say this was a bit of a blast to watch!

-

No one that noticeable to me here in the cast except for Ron Perlman (Hellboy) but the acting was solid from all involved and it's certainly a very stylishly shot film as it looks great to look at,like I mentioned it is a bit of a mix up of genres with most of it playing out like a guess who Usual Suspects/Seven type of thriller but with it also being interspersed with moments of gory Saw/Hostel inspired torture horror and though it doesn't contain anything anywhere near as graphic as those movies do it still has the odd grisly moment especially an admittedly silly scene where a guy has his face stuck to a wall with loads of crazy glue!

-
Looking like a close relative of Pulp Fiction's The Gimp the main baddie from 2014's Poker Night.

I think this skipped theatre's in the U.S though I'm not 100% sure but I do know that it went straight to home video here in the U.K,Poker Night aka The Joker I believe will surprise a lot of folk into just how good a little thriller it actually is!

Definitely one to check out and I highly recommend.

https://youtu.be/WR9toeg5LhE - Poker Night aka The Joker trailer (2014).

[ 05. September 2016, 16:27: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

The Do-Over, starring Adam Sandler, David Spade and Kathryn Hahn. One of his 5 or 6 contracted movies for Netflix. If you like silly Adam Sandler films, this one is for you. It was much better than The Ridiculous 6. It had a lot of laughs, which I really needed.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched Avengers: The Age of Ultron (2015).

It´s basically more of the same but i´m a fanboy so i liked it.
Nice to "hear" James Spader as Ultron and actually see the man during one of the featurettes. Our 80s heroes still get the job done.

Scarlett & Scarlet
 -

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Not Safe For Work a 2014 thriller from Captain America - The First Avenger director Joe Johnston and starring Max Minghella (The Internship) as Thomas Miller an employee of a law firm who has just been sacked by his boss after supposedly leaking highly classified information who is on his way out of his high rise works building for the very last time when he spots a guy who has just entered acting very suspiciously and so decides to re-enter the building and do some investigating which lands him in a lot of danger when he finds himself trapped high up in the building with a now deactivated door card,sabotaged lift system and a contract killer!

Great little flick this that hardly wastes a moment of its very short 1hr 14 minute running time and features a real tense scene where the pursued employee Thomas (Minghella) is perched over a sensor flushing toilet whilst hidden from the contract killer who happens to be only the otherside of the cubicle door!

Well worth a look - 7.5/10

https://youtu.be/wmpZy5t_KFk - Not Safe For Work trailer (2014).

[ 14. November 2016, 16:30: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Garden State (2004)

Quirky characters abound in entertaining offbeat comedy drama, written and directed by (and also starring) Zach Braff.
Natalie Portman, Peter Sarsgaard, and Ian Holm co star. Portman (as the love interest) and Sarsgaard steal the show.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Guest - From a few things I'd heard and read this last year I went into this expecting a really intense thriller of sorts not the black comedy that I felt it was. Not necessarily a bad thing. I had a hoot with the ludicrousness of it all, Dan Stevens' facial reactions and just about died at the part when he was described as if he was some sort of Terminator. Also loved that it was set around Halloween, Silver Shamrock masks and all and how it went off into fun slasher mode at the end. Nothing amazing but good fun!
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

I watched The Duff McKagan documentary It's So Easy and Other Lies on Netflix a few days ago. Pretty good doc, it had him giving a live performance while narrating the doc. Different.
  This topic comprises 97 pages: 1  2  3  ...  90  91  92  93  94  95  96  97   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home