iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Last 20** movie you HAVE seen (Page 94)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 97 pages: 1  2  3  ...  91  92  93  94  95  96  97   
Author Topic: Last 20** movie you HAVE seen
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Cell 211 (2009)

Tense and violent, Spanish thriller about a new prison guard getting stranded inside the prison when a revolt
leaves prisoners in charge. Knowing he will be killed as soon as they find out his true identity, he poses as
a newly transferred inmate convicted for murder. Meanwhile, authorities plan to raid the prison and restore order.

Excellent, unnerving, and tense story unfolds with many twists, leading to a not so happy ending !

Check out the trailer : www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FY6XwZW9Sc

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Two friends, a priest and a rabbi, fall in love with the same woman they knew in their youth, but the religious position of both men denies them romance."

"Heart of Mine" - Peter Salett

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never understood why Edward Norton picked Keeping the Faith to be his only directing effort to date. I mean, it's a pleasant enough comedy with three likeable leads, but it's so lightweight and beneath Norton's prodigious talent, something that you'd expect to see as a TV sitcom. As Roger Ebert used to put it, it's a "wunza" movie: "Wunza priest, wunza rabbi, but when they both fall for the same gal, hijinks ensue."
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
 -

any of you guys seen this very entertaining 2014 thriller - cold in july yet?

i more or less liked everything about this one,for starters it's got some really great performances(especially from sam shepherd & don johnson),a really cool soundtrack with a 80s feel synth score ala john carpenter,a very twisty turny plot which at about the halfway mark veered off in a completely different direction as to what i was expecting and a very tense & exciting finale!

i would say this is probably one of the better thrillers I've seen in a while actually,I wouldn't mind picking up a copy of this for myself on blu Ray when I get a chance.

Great stuff!

https://youtu.be/5E4hblwwB98 - cold in july ost - cosmo black.

https://youtu.be/UO63ccU6ce0 - cold in july trailer.

Watched this one and i liked it, especially the first half. Really atmospheric stuff.
I had few issues how the characters behaved during the second half but this didn´t stop me enjoying the film.

Shepard was excellent and so were Johnson and Nick Damici who played the sheriff. Hall did pretty well too.
Loved the synth score, the director Jim Mickle tried to work in many 1980s themes and references to John Carpenter's work from that period and it shows.
Lots of these 80s pastiches around nowadays which isn´t a bad thing but there´s still lots of work if they want to surpass the real stuff [Wink]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (2014).

"Illustrated upon the progress of his latest Broadway play, a former popular actor's struggle to cope with his current life as a wasted actor is shown." (IMDb)

Masterpiece. Not an easy film to watch but i like to challenge myself every once in a while.
Keaton rocks!

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

The Revenant (2015)

"A frontiersman on a fur trading expedition in the 1820s fights for survival after being mauled by a bear and left for dead by members of his own hunting team." (IMDb)

Another Alejandro G. Inarritu film and another masterpiece.
Beautiful landscapes and cinematography plus a very strong story. Few unforgettable moments here.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The Spectacular Now (2013)

A more serious approach to the 'Teens-on-the-Verge-of-Adulthood' type of story. Well-acted !

Check out the trailer : www.youtube.com/watch?v=wceaLzbtuDY

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

A single mother on vacation, takes the law into her own hands to take back her abducted child. - from IMDB

Preposterous but very entertaining action thriller about a mother who has her child snatched from her while on vacation in Morroco with the kidnappers being little aware that there dealing with a highly trained ex intelligence/security agent with some deadly combative skills!

Very well shot in sunny Morroco this moves at a real break neck pace and if you can manage to put all the plot implausibilities & silliness aside then for those that are able to I can see them having a right blast with this one!

Not familiar with lead actress Angela Dixon http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1395864/?ref_=tt_cl_t1 but she turned in a pretty sold performance as the kick *** Mom and infact i'd say that the acting right across the board was of a decent standard as were the many action sequences.

Yeah so overall very watchable with some cool locations and the 90 odd minute running time just flew by!

7.5/10.

https://youtu.be/J_LEoMcH4tE Never Let Go trailer (2015).

[ 14. January 2017, 15:16: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I´m interested!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched the Turtles sequel Out of the Shadows (2016) with my son.

It´s was a decent kids action feature harking back to the 80s cartoon feel.
What we have here is Rocksteady & Bepop, Kraang, Technodrome and Dimension X. Need i say more [Smile]

They introduce Casey Jones too but he´s pretty lame if you compare him to the 00´s series version.
Some fun stuff like the plane sequence but once again the film is just too long and i´m tired of seeing portals above NY City [Wink]

-

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
I´m interested!

I think you'd probably dig Never Let Go Atomik it is basically how it looks a bit like a female version of Taken and while it doesn't quite compare to that Liam Neeson hit (well the original one anyway) it's still rather well done and passes 90 odd minutes harmless enough!
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Muscle Shoals (2013)

"A documentary that celebrates Rick Hall, the founder of FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama,
and the signature sound he developed in songs such as "I'll Take You There", "Brown Sugar", and "When a Man Loves a Woman"." (IMDb)

Masterpiece!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

The Equalizer (2014)

"A man believes he has put his mysterious past behind him and has dedicated himself to beginning a new, quiet life.
But when he meets a young girl under the control of ultra-violent Russian gangsters, he can't stand idly by - he has to help her." (IMDb)

Highly entertaining thriller based on the 80s television series of the same name.
Denzel is in god mode, i love the character build up and the atmospheric score sounds fantastic. Recommended!
Sequel release date set for 2018.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked The Equalizer. The atmosphere is fantastic, and Denzel is terrific with all the small touches he gives his character--classic books, teabags, washing his plate immediately after eating. Washington and director Fuqua are a fine team.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
The Equalizer sounds pretty great and I don't know why I haven't looked at checking it out already.

Loved the original show and Denzel's ace,Fuqua's done some cool flicks as well of which I own Brooklyn's Finest (underatted),Replacement Killers and Southpaw which was rather good!

Also have seen Training Day which I liked a lot,Tears Of The Sun (Not Bad) and Shooter with Mark Walhberg which was fun!

Didn't actually know that a sequel to Equalizer was in the works so I better check out the original before it hits.

That's one thing that I do remember was the Equalizer was slightly edited for violence for the UK cinema and Blu Ray/DVD release -
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455944/faq?ref_=tt_faq_1#.2.1.1

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
The Washington/Fuqua Equalizer is more a re-imagining than a big screen version because the backstory is somewhat different from the classic TV show. (Washington as Robert McCall, a former special forces guy, works at something like a Home Depot during the day.) Nevertheless, it is very compelling. The only thing that I didn't like was that they should have at least tipped the hat to Stewart Copeland's brilliant theme. It would have fit perfectly. That said, The Equalizer and John Wick are my two favorite action films from the past few years.
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched the second half of Old School last night. I haven't watched it in several years. I do always say it's a top 3 comedy for me all time, but man did I forget how much I love that movie. Even the subtle lines make me laugh out loud.
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -

Beautiful Creatures (2013)

I watched this on TV. It's one of those modern teen-fantasy movies. Jeremy Irons adds some class,
but overall i didn't like most of the characters.

One good scene has the lead character opening the front gate to a large estate, walking down a small road overgrown
with hanging trees, and eventually seeing himself on the back standing before that same gate he'd just openend.
Such a time-loophole scene reminded me of the superior Mario Bava classic Kill Baby Kill (1966).

Besides that one scene there's really nothing special here.

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Equalizer movie was excellent! I was a little iffy on it, but I loved it. I didn't want them to ruin the good name of one of my favorite tv shows. Can't wait for the sequel. John Wick 2 will be in theaters either this weekend or next weekend. It would be nice if we could go. Hubby and I are still sick with the flu. I have been home for three days now.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
John Wick was wonderful too, extremely well done. I love the line from the upcoming sequel's trailer: "Whoever comes...I'll kill them all." And Keanu as Wick will. Good stuff.
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
T2 Trainspotting (2017)

-

"First there was an opportunity......then there was a betrayal. Twenty years have gone by. Much has changed but just as much remains the same. Mark Renton (Ewan McGregor) returns to the only place he can ever call home. They are waiting for him: Spud (Ewen Bremner), Sick Boy (Jonny Lee Miller), and Begbie (Robert Carlyle). Other old friends are waiting too: sorrow, loss, joy, vengeance, hatred, friendship, love, longing, fear, regret, diamorphine, self-destruction and mortal danger, they are all lined up to welcome him, ready to join the dance."

A good, not great, follow-up to the 1996 original. Excellent performances all-round.

Now I feel old....

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Torrente 2: Mission in Marbella (2001)

"Torrente has now moved to Marbella, where, after being wiped out of the money he had gained, has returned to private investigation.
But in one of his cases he gets involved in the middle of a villain's missile plot to destroy the city and his own uncle's blackmail operation... and he knows nothing." (IMDb)

Superfun sequel from Santiago Segura and co.
Fun characers, good jokes, un-pc behaviour, nice locations, beautiful ladies etc. etc.
Also check out the hilariously awesome bondesque opening credits [Smile]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -

I watched Battleship (2012) on TV here last night. It's your typical big-budget, Hollywood special-effects extravaganza.

Lots of things get blown up when an alien armada tries to wipe out mankind and make contact with their friends in deep space
through radio-telescopes located on Hawaii.. and that's pretty much it !

For some reason, Thunderstruck by AC/DC and Fortunate Son by Creedence Clearwater Revival ended up on the soundtrack..
and that's the best thing i can say about it really.

Liam Neeson, Peter MacNicol, and pop singer Rihanna can be seen in supporting roles, and Battleship was directed by
actor-turned-director Peter Berg handling a budget of an estmimated $209.000.000.. wow !

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched Superman Returns (2006).

Man, this was bad. What was Bryan Singer thinking and why people at Warner Bros thought his script would be great?

This just fails at every department. Only thing i liked was the cinematography on some scenes
and Sam Huntington as Jimmy Olsen was the only cast member who could rise to the ocasion. Avoid!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Agreed. How dare you get the great Kevin Spacey and Parker Posey in your movie as Lex Luther and his squeeze and then misuse them? Terrible filmmaking.
  This topic comprises 97 pages: 1  2  3  ...  91  92  93  94  95  96  97   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home