iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Your album of the week? (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: Your album of the week?
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad I could jog your memory a little bit, Atomik. Alisha is really great and totally underrated. Lots of talent associated with her music too. People like Shep Pettibone, Cindy Valentine, and Martika.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ronnie:
Til Tuesday - Voices Carry (album)

-

loving these songs:

love in a vacuum
looking over my shoulder
i could get used to this

Wow.. Ronnie .. most people only know Til Tuesday for the tune "Voices Carry". Did you know that Til Tuesday actually won 'Best New Artist' at the 1985 MTV Music Awards?

From the "Voices Carry" album.. my fav tune is "Love In A Vacuum" .. I actually enjoy listening to it more than the group's signature tune "Voices Carry".

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think 'Voices Carry' is probably one of the top 50 songs of the 80s, but I can't help but think that if Cyndi Lauper had sung all of 'Til Tuesdays songs, they'd have been so much better. They just sound perfect for her.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Wow.. Ronnie .. most people only know Til Tuesday for the tune "Voices Carry". Did you know that Til Tuesday actually won 'Best New Artist' at the 1985 MTV Music Awards?

From the "Voices Carry" album.. my fav tune is "Love In A Vacuum" .. I actually enjoy listening to it more than the group's signature tune "Voices Carry".

i didn't know that?..i can certainly see how they snagged that award. [Smile]

i figured you liked that song, val. [Wink] and i too, like those songs i mentioned above, more so that "voices carry."

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Secret Admirer:
I think 'Voices Carry' is probably one of the top 50 songs of the 80s, but I can't help but think that if Cyndi Lauper had sung all of 'Til Tuesdays songs, they'd have been so much better. They just sound perfect for her.

Secret do you not like Amiee Mann? I can see what your saying totally about Cyndi....I just think Amiee's voice is so unique........I love 'Save Me' from her solo stuff later on.
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have both Alisha albums, nightwalkin' and bounce back, great stuff! [Smile]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
'Love in a Vacuum' is great. That slap-bass intro always gets me.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

-

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FM: Indiscreet (1986)

Debut AOR gem from this British act.

FM - Frozen Heart

FM - That Girl

-

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Simoneer
Senior Rewinder
Member # 8941

2 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Simoneer   Author's Homepage   Email Simoneer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allegaeon's Fragments of Form and Function. One of the best melodic death metal albums I've heard for quite some time (although it has quite a bit of technical death metal in there as well).

-

Go science metal!

Posts: 56 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jun 2010 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asrai: Pearls in Dirt(2007)
 -

I love this band [Smile] ..And talk about a band with persistance and staying power..this group from the Netherlands first formed back in 1985, but only has just recently seen some speck of success in the underground music scene at most. So I guess technically you can consider them an 80's band. However, mainstream success seems to be the last thing on this band's agenda. They seem quite comfortable playing in the club/goth scene and seem quite content in keeping it that way. Pearls in Dirt is their most recent studio album released in 2007..and it's a beauty if you ask me. Margriet Mol is the singer in this band and she's got to be among my favorite female vocalists out there right now. She has got a set of pipes on her. If you don't believe me, check out this video for their first, and only single off this record.

SOUR GROUND:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz4g-R3ObRY

...and thus concludes my plug for this great band [Wink]

[ 30. October 2010, 14:32: Message edited by: Pyromantic ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skagarack: s/t (1986)

Awesome scandi-aor.

SKAGARACK i´m alone

-

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dire Straits - Love Over Gold (1982)

-

This record still to this day consists of some of the greatest guitarmanship ever recorded...IMO [Cool]

[ 07. November 2010, 14:21: Message edited by: Pyromantic ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

I COULD BE HAPPY: THE BEST OF ALTERED IMAGES

-

new wave/post punk group featuring 'happy birthday' from the sixteen candles soundtrack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7jVWgdzQ2E

and their title track, 'i could be happy.'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z34R753gwJs

lead singer Clare Grogan has such a squeaky voice, very different!
another track i like, the dreamy tune: 'love to stay'

[Smile]

Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome Ronnie I really like what I know of Altered Images

for me this week it's been:
 -

I have a soft spot for Phil!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have a soft spot for Phil!
Disgusting!

He has a bald spot for you.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

great pick, muffy. [Smile]

this week, it's been,

kanye west - my beautiful dark twisted fantasy

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For an unlikely Superstar, Phil Collins, certainly did very well for himself. It's interesting to see how his two biggest selling albums did on either side of the Atlantic:

USA:

No Jacket Required - 12,000,000
...But Seriously - 4,000,000

Europe:

No Jacket Required - 6,900,000
...But Seriously - 13,400,000

I guess we can never agree of anything. [Wink]

Back on track...

I've been listening to 'The Lord of The Rings: Return of the King' lately.

Annie Lennox - Into The West
 -

I love this album.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

whitney houston - greatest hits

-

before she went cuckoo for cocoa puffs, her 80s tracks were awesome....love her look in videos like HOW WILL I KNOW & I WANNA DANCE WITH SOMEBODY. those are always fun to watch. love the songs! [Smile]

i also like the songs,

so emotional
you give good love
saving all my love for you

[Smile]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
For an unlikely Superstar, Phil Collins, certainly did very well for himself. It's interesting to see how his two biggest selling albums did on either side of the Atlantic:

USA:

No Jacket Required - 12,000,000
...But Seriously - 4,000,000

Europe:

No Jacket Required - 6,900,000
...But Seriously - 13,400,000

I guess we can never agree of anything. [Wink]

Those figures are deceptive, though. Phil spent a lot of time in the US through the 'No Jacket' period (before and after), and thanks to that - along with MTV video rotation - he had his period of greatest success (ditto Genesis for the same reasons the following year). However, in the UK he was slightly less present, and the singles chart positions reflect that: 'Against All Odds'. 'Invisible Touch', 'One More Night', 'Separate Lives', 'Sussudio' - all US #1's - none of them UK #1's.

However, for 'But Seriously', not only was Phil present in Europe, but there was a massive TV marketing campaign for the album in the lead up to Christmas. As a result, the album topped the UK charts for something like 15 weeks (throughout Christmas) compared to the US 4 weeks.

I think his popularity from 'Against All Odds' until the end of the decade remained more or less even between the US and Europe, with maybe a peak in the US throughout '85 and '86 helped by exposure via Miami Vice and things like that. The sales figures (I believe) are more evidence that promotion - when it works - really can have an effect.

PS: Ronnie; early Whitney was great! Remember that she used to slate Madonna for being a bad role model?!

Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

it sucks that she can't even carry a tune, these days. a lot of people were rooting for her "comeback."

i have to say, i love phil collins' serious hits live cd. great show.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
Before she can come back, she has to quit drugs.

I do have some issues with Whitney influencing a whole generation of female vocalists to sing in a strident bloated over the top way. Then again... Mariah and Celine didn't help.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those divas go to 11. :-)
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Been listening lots of music last weekend.
Especially the Kidd Glove album (1984)

Awesome melodic rock from Paul Sabu and the boys.

Kidd Glove - Susie Wants To Be A Star

Kidd Glove "Good clean fun"

-

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  15  16  17   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home