iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 78)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"The film follows three former Vietnam veterans who are accustomed to violence. They decide to go on a spree of brutality by kidnapping a girl and a middle-aged man.
After an orgy of rape, beatings, and humiliation, the two victims plan an escape and one plans revenge." (Wiki)

Watched this cool 1974 thriller late last year. Anyone else seen it?
Open Season stars Peter Fonda, John Phillip Law, Richard Lynch, Cornelia Sharpe, Alberto de Mendoza and William Holden.
70´s movies are full of surprises and this one entertains with it´s exploitation feel. The three main actors are great, the hunting is tense and bullets really hurt.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by aTomiK:

-

Going from one family film - any which way you can - to another - open season - "The film follows three former Vietnam veterans who are accustomed to violence. They decide to go on a spree of brutality by kidnapping a girl and a middle-aged man.
After an orgy of rape, beatings, and humiliation, the two victims plan an escape and one plans revenge." (Wiki)

Atomik This definitely sounds a bit different to Disney's open season [Big Grin]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently watching Open Season on Youtube.

"Run rabbit - run rabbit - Run! Run! Run!

Last night:

-

A New York City architect becomes a one-man vigilante squad after his wife is murdered by street punks in which he randomly goes out and kills would-be muggers on the mean streets after dark. -- IMDb

It's been a while since I've seen this, but it's still a pretty powerful thriller.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Magnum Force (1973) and while it wasn´t as good as Dirty Harry, it´s still an entertaining sequel.
John Milius did the original story for MF so it doesn´t surprise that it includes lots of guns and brutal killing.
Eastwood regular Bruce Surtees wasn´t available to do cinematography in this one so we can´t enjoy his great visions, also Ted Post is not Don Siegel.
Pretty cool stuff anyway.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Magnum Force too. Post was certainly competent, but very few directors of that era were Don Siegel, one of my favorites, a master in many diverse genres. I know that he and Clint Eastwood worked tremendously well together, and Eastwood, a fine director himself, always says that Siegel was the most influential director on his own directing career. That's about the highest praise anyone could ever give another director.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched The Big Bus (1976) last night. Excellent fun!

"You eat one lousy foot and suddenly, you're a cannibal!"

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We picked up a DVD set of 1960's Oscars movies yesterday at a thrift store. Took a chance as the print on the case was in both English and Japanese, but it turned out the two movies we watched were in English with the option for Japanese subtitles. We watched The Manchurian Candidate, which we'd never seen before, starring Frank Sinatra, Angela Lansbury. MIt was excellent. I loved how deliciously evil Angela Lansbury was as the Mother. And who knew Frank could actually act? Then we watched Charade, starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. I had seen it a few years ago, but forgot the latter half of it. It's a good movie, just not something to be taken seriously.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are 7 more movies in the set we have to watch. It originally had 10 movies but it was missing one, Rope. Most of the rest are Hitchcock films.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn shame about Rope being absent.. although you do get to learn a little Japanese on the side ! [Razz]
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
[QB] We picked up a DVD set of 1960's Oscars movies yesterday at a thrift store. Took a chance as the print on the case was in both English and Japanese, but it turned out the two movies we watched were in English with the option for Japanese subtitles. We watched The Manchurian Candidate, which we'd never seen before, starring Frank Sinatra, Angela Lansbury. And who knew Frank could actually act?

Frank sure can act alright,did you not see him in cannonball run 2 [Big Grin]

Saying that I have seen him in one other movie and he was pretty decent in it and that was von Ryan's express.

I enjoyed that,that was a good movie.

[ 17. February 2015, 05:11: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night i watched Midnight Cowboy (1969) and Raging Bull (1980) back-to-back !

-  -

I've seen both of these at least ten or twelve times before, and each time i wonder if they still live up
to their reputation as being among the very best movies ever made... DAMN RIGHT THEY DO !!

I think everyone owes it to themselves to revisit these classics time and time again.

Johnny has spoken ! [Cool] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

Dial M for Murder (I Love that title for a movie), another movie from the DVD collection we bought last week. It was very good.
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -

Kingdom Of The Spiders (1977)

Fun, ecological horror starring William Shatner, Tiffany Bolling, and Woody Strode.

It's pretty tame, PG-rated.. but there's an effective downbeat ending. (After all, this is '70s horror)

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched that a few months back. Ending was fantastic! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
I think we should watch The Giant Spider Invasion next ! [Cool] [Big Grin]
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched The Chase (1966) which was a pretty good 60s drama with a strong cast. The story takes place in a small Texas town which still feels like wild west, all men having guns etc.
Marlon Brando is the town sheriff and he´s great. Robert Redford plays a prison escapee and when the townspeople hear the news they go nuts.
Lots of beautiful ladies in this one: Angie D1ckinson, Jane Fonda, Janice Rule and Martha Hyer all very easy on the eye.
The movie deals with racism, sexual revolution and vigilantism. Few men beat up Brando with bloody results and the ending is pretty harsh. Overall, a good movie from Arthur Penn.

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Penitentiary (1979)

"A hitchhiker named Martel Gordone gets in a fight with two bikers over a prostitute, and one of the bikers is killed. Gordone is arrested and sent to prison, where he joins the prison's boxing team in an effort to secure an early parole and to establish his dominance over the prison's toughest gang." -- IMDb

He's Too Fast, Two Fisted, "Too Sweet"!

It was something of a surprise to come across this on YouTube. I hadn't seen this, or either sequel, in about 25 years.

-

Leon Isaac Kennedy is a wronged man.

-
I'd forgotten, "Porky", was in this. Chuck Mitchell, was an underrated actor.

Penitentiary (YouTube account required)

Penitentiary II

Penitentiary III

[ 15. March 2015, 16:30: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Written, produced, and directed by JAMAA FANAKA. Greatest name ever for an exploitation film director!
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -

Truck Turner (1974)

Quint-essential blaxploitation starring Isaac Hayes and Yaphet Kotto.

Supporting roles by Charles Cyphers, **** Miller, Scatman Crothers, Star Trek's Nichelle Nichols
(jive-talking like she never dared to on starship Enterprise), and Annik Borel (Werewolf Woman)
in a gratuitous scene in which she stabs a guy with scissors.. while being naked, of course ! [Big Grin]

Fast-paced and tons of fun, filled to the max with fistfights, bloody shoot-outs, carchases,
eye-popping 70's fashion, funky soul music, and a terrific death scene by mr. Kotto.

Directed by Jonathan Kaplan who went on to do The Accused with an Oscar-winning Jodie Foster the following decade.

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

Vertigo, starring James Stewart and Kim Novak and directed by Alfred Hitchcock. This was the second time I'd seen it, my husband's first. I like it, but hubby seemed bored. Many consider this to be Hitchcock's best film. I'm not sure I'd say it was his best. I'd give it a 7 1/2 out of 10. Incidentally, my friend was named after Kim Novak (whose real name is not Kim!). She was her Mother's favorite actress.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The War of the Robots - That was dreadful. I loved it [Razz]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
I think we should watch The Giant Spider Invasion next ! [Cool] [Big Grin]

[Big Grin]
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Truck Turner is my favorite blaxploitation flick of all time. It's fast-paced, exciting, and hilarious, pretty much a perfect example of an exploitation film.

Helen, the giant spider in The Giant Spider Invasion is a Volkswagen covered in felt with legs. [Smile]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
LOL!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Another vote for Truck Turner, fantastic stuff!!
  This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home