iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 39)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks logan! The Deer Hunter is one of my favorite movies- I watch it at least once a year. I will look for these at my library.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great choices. Dog Day Afternoon is my fave Pacino film [Smile] You feel every minute of his stress in it. Excellent.
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Logan, every one of your choices is superb. Love them all.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zach
Master Rewinder
Member # 9459

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Zach   Email Zach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally just got around to watching War of the Satellites last week. While it's nowhere as good as Attack of the Crab Monsters or Not of This Earth, it is worth watching on a rainy day or just to kill 66 minutes. WOTS must have been a test run for D-i-c-k Miller by Roger Corman, as Miller gets to play the lead here, a full year before he starred in A Bucket of Blood.

One aspect of WOTS I did like was how the alien that ends up impersonating Dr. Van Ponder (Richard Devon) can astral project itself to make clones. The spaceship sets weren't too bad considering Roger Corman filmed the movie in eight weeks on a budget of $70,000. He really was the master of getting a lot out of a little. Isn't it funny how most of the low-budget black and white horror movies released by AIP, Allied Artists, and others in the 50s still look crisp today, yet a lot of bad low budget American 70s horror movies like Flesh Feast, Carnival of Blood, and Shriek of the Mutilated still look as bad as they did when they were first released?

Fun fact: War of the Satellites was released a full seven months after the launching of Sputnik 1.

Posts: 122 | From: Beverly, MA | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Boy in the Plastic Bubble
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
The Boy in the Plastic Bubble

Can't decide if that movie is amazingly bad, or just sweet but tacky.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
I'll go with the latter [Razz]
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just seen the terror on the mgm channel a little while ago, i liked it, wasnt crazy about the angle they revealed towards the end but still good
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
You talking about the Jack Nicholson Terror? Love that [Smile]
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yep, the one with jack. what was the deal with the boris karloff character at the end?
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GP, I don't know if you have heard the stories behind Roger Corman's "The Terror," but this was the infamous two-day film that Corman did because he finished up "The Raven" early and had Karloff under contract for two more days. Always the spendthrift, Corman decided to make another movie and started filming without a script before the studio tore down "The Raven" sets. Sometime later, Monte Hellman and Francis Ford Coppola filmed some stuff by the ocean. The bizarre plot angles were explained in an interview that I read with D-i-c-k Miller. Miller--love this guy, a wonderful character actor--said that the movie didn't hang together so there's a scene, filmed much later, where Jack Nicholson slams Miller against a wall and says something like "I've been lied to ever since I got to this castle," and Miller then spouts pages of expository dialogue in an attempt to create/explain the plot. Gotta love Roger Corman's ingenuity! It's still a nice looking, entertaining movie. Jack Nicholson as a French solider...that's pretty good by itself!
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
that was really good to be done in two days, i was really into the story, just that switcheroo thing.
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
It's an amazing achievement when you think about it, GP--a film as only Corman could do. It has that terrific cast, who while they had no clue what the lines meant during filming, did a nice job anyway. And it looks great too, so much better than most of the direct-to-DVD stuff made today. While not one of Corman's best films, I've always thought that folks should see it as an educational curio, just to see what the low-budget master Corman could do with basically NO budget. [Smile]

[ 05. April 2011, 18:53: Message edited by: Crash ]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Last Picture Show [Smile]

-

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
A Fool There Was (1915)

-

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Helen! I'm shocked! Theda Bara?!

I wouldn't normally say something like this, but... that vamp is a tramp!

I'll see your immoral vamp, and raise you a nice, moral... Mary Pickford movie:

-

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 -
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I'll move up a few decades. I re-watched "Murder by Decree" (1979), the Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper tale that I saw in the theatre back in the day and was not very enthusiastic about it. I hadn't seen it since the mid-80s, but I decided to look at it again after watching a recent documentary on late director Bob Clark called "ClarkWorld." Anyway, my opinion on "Decree" hasn't changed. The cast is unbelievable and unbelievably good, and the movie looks and sounds great. Nothing else works. It's too long, the screenplay isn't good--Sherlock Holmes contacing a psychic? Conan Doyle rolls in his grave. And Holmes doesn't seem to do much deducting either--and the editing just sort of limps along from setpiece to setpiece, usually involving the one big scene for each big star. (Hey, look at Genevieve Bujod! There's Donald Sutherland! John Gielgud's here too!)

I know a lot of folks really love this film, but I have to quote a friend of mine who has the exact same feelings I do: "It's like they were having a picnic and invited all these great stars who brought great stuff, but they never told anybody where the picnic was so the stars sort of wandered around and nobody really met up to do anything good." [Smile]

[ 08. April 2011, 10:14: Message edited by: Crash ]

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
speaking of sherlock holmes, ever since i seen rathbone's version i concluded that in my mind this is the definitive holmes, even when i read the stories. he did a great job on that, as did robert newton in treasure island, i heard about charlton heston version but i cant imagine anybody else as silver
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
seen bob clark's black christmas awhile back, liked it alot, as well as porkys and a christmas story, and it runs in the family aka my summer story

i wonder though if it was bob clark's doing or purely jean shepherd's or the combo, that made those movies really great.

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
That ending of Black Christmas is so special, love it [Smile]
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
I'm sorry, I disagree with both of you. I watched the entire of Black Christmas twice, and it failed to live up to my expectations of a blaxploitation movie about Christmas both times.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
LMAO, you loon [Big Grin]

Speaking of, I watched Blacula last night. Love it [Big Grin] I'll watch the sequel tonight I think.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Too funny, Logan. I love the original "Black Christmas" very much. It's a lost classic. The phone calls are just so creepy and scary with all that crying, the multiple voices, the baby... And if you listen very carefully right before Margot Kidder hangs up on the nut, after he's just been going off the rails, you hear him say, calmly composed and quietly, "I am going to kill you." It's such a great horror film moment.

"Blacula" and "Scream, Blacula, Scream." [Smile] Awww, the good old days. If you need another blaxploitation recommendation, how about "Sugar Hill" (no, not the 90s film with Wesley Snipes), but the zombie film with Marki Bey and Robert Quarry. It's great fun!

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Just put it in the queue [Smile]
  This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home