iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 38)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there were alot of moments in love and death where i was thinking, what is funny about this?

pitts, i have never really liked diane keaton all that much either, especially after the godfather.

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Please Sir!" (1971)

-

Based on a classic British TV Sitcom based in the fictional but strangely accurate Fenn Street School, it dollowed the fortunes of young, idealistic teacher Bernard Hedges (John Alderton) as he struggled to cope with life, love, and the trials served up daily by his pupils in class 5C.

The movie deals with the annual school trip to spend two weeks on a rural retreat (a trip that until this year, 5C had been banned from). That changes after Mr Hedges' impassioned plea, but if there's any trouble......

The cast is a real who's who of British TV comedy, with Derek Guyler, Joan Sanderson, Patsy Rowlands, Noel Howlett, Richard Davies alongside Alderton on one side as the down-trodden staff, and Peter Cleall, Carol Hawkins, Liz Gebhardt, David Barry, Peter Denyer and Malcolm McFee as the unruly students, always looking for an opening to cause mayhem and disruption.

We spoke about this one on a recent 'Please Help!" thread:

Please Sir

This is one of my favorite movies from the stream of tv-to-big screen adaptations that emerged around the early seventies.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounder (1972). Cicely Tyson, Paul Winfield, Kevin Hooks, Eric Hooks, Yvonne Jarrell, Carmen Mathews, Taj Mahal and James Best. The son of a Negro sharecropper family matures while his father is imprisoned for theft in the U.S. South in the 1930s. Based on the novel by William Armstrong.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eyes Without A Face (1960) I feel so depressed now lol. Great flick.

-

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Play the Billy Idol tribute song... It always cheers me up!
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i watched the misouri breaks again, i dont get tired of it
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DRACULA A.D. 1972

-

I really liked this, way more than I thought I would. Funny that the lead girl played Dylan's mom on Beverly Hills many years after. I kept racking my brain as to where I had seen her before, and then I remembered. She might have done a ton of other stuff too. But I, quite embarrassingly; remembered her as the mom of the Dyl [Smile]

P.S. Having watched a lot of Hammer flicks lately, I have come to the conclusion that Peter Cushing is/was one of the best actors ever. He can make the most outrageous dialogue sound serious and poignant. And he really goes for it 100%, in every role. That's the mark of a true actor.

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure is [Big Grin]

That's the only Hammer Dracula I don't like tho, but still can never leave it out of my marathons.

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It comes second to all the first ones, that's for sure. But I had really low expectations, and was happily surprised. Haven't seen Satanic Rites Of Dracula yet, though, so maybe that's worse.
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Satanic is much better I think [Smile]
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, Jay Lee, Peter Cushing was a fantastic actor. He really could take the silliest dialogue and make it sound thoroughly convincing. He was committted to every part (even in the silly "Land of the Minotaur"), and I always like the little "method-y" touches he did. My favorite is when he is testifying at the trial in "Frankenstein Created Woman," and he nonchalantly flips through the courtroom Bible. [Smile] Just a wonderful actor and gentlemen...
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
Manhattan. It was okay. Not sure if I'll watch any other Woody Allen movies if they are all like this one.

It depends on what time-frame or era in Woody's career that you prefer.

1960's to early-70's: (his "silly" period)
Take The Money And Run
Bananas
Everything You've Always Wanted To Know About Sex...
What's Up, Tiger Lily?
(redubbing a Japanese crime movie)

Mid-70's to early-80's: (his personal, contemplative era)
Love And Death
Annie Hall
Manhattan
Interiors
(his first major drama)
Stardust Memories

[Even though Woody acted in The Front (1976), he didn't write nor direct it, so I do not consider it as one of his movies.]

1983-to-late-1980's: (his 1930's-era nostalgic period)
Broadway Danny Rose
Radio Days
Purple Rose of Cairo
Zelig
(the "Forrest Gump" of the 80's!)

Late-80's to 1990's: (contemporary dramas and comedies)
Hannah & Her Sisters
Crimes And Misdemeanors

[I missed out on most of his stuff since the 1990's, but the ones that I did see were hit-or-miss, and mostly miss. But I did like Small Time Crooks and The Curse of the Jade Scorpion.]

Woody is, to be sure, an acquired taste. You either really enjoy him or you can't stand him.

[ 25. March 2011, 15:23: Message edited by: StevenHW ]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
True Grit (1969) Good film but it does make me sleepy in places.

-

Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rocky 2 (1979). Sylvester Stallone, Talia Shire, Burt Young, Carl Weathers and Burgess Meredith. A retired boxer is driven by circumstances to a rematch with an opponent as a result of the hate mail that the latter has been getting and also his conviction that his adversary's performance was good luck.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny & Girly - I think I'm scarred for life, too funny  -
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
SABATA- 1969

-

Excellent spaghetti western, starring Lee Van Cleef. Very gimmicky, but a lot of fun, with tons of great ideas. Campy as all hell, with a real slimy villain, but that's how I like it.

RETURN OF SABATA- 1971

-

Fun sequel, but falls just short of the original. Still, the same fun ideas and gimmicks are present.

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serpico
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Love Serpico...
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Me too [Big Grin]
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me three.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me four?
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
No. 5 is alive!
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, lots of love here for Serpico! Any suggestions for more great 70's drama? I picked up Serpico at my local library. They seem to have a lot of classics.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
No. 5 is alive!

See... now that's what I love about this place!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
Wow, lots of love here for Serpico! Any suggestions for more great 70's drama? I picked up Serpico at my local library. They seem to have a lot of classics.

Look at the biggest actors / actresses of the era and pick the biggest movies from their lists. These aren't all dramas, but...

'Dog Day Afternoon'
'All the Presidents Men'
'Taxi Driver'
'Klute'
'Network'
'Don't Look Now'
'Godfather 1 & 2'
'Deer Hunter'
'And Justice for All'
'Chinatown'
'One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest'
'Marathon Man'
'Lenny'

This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home