iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 35)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree that it's not suspenseful. sure, it's in a more understated and slowly paced 70's kind of way. But if you're knowledgable about the CIA, the politics behind it etc. I think it is indeed very suspenseful.

A good example of that is Max Von Sydow as Joubert, the icy hitman. He brings uneasines and tension to every scene he is in. The opening scene and the scene in the elevator, in particular. It is also an awesome performance by Sydow, considering his limited screen time.

I love his expression and line delivery when Janet says " I won't scream", and he replies " I know". He says it in a way that is almost reassuring, like he's saying "Sorry I have to do this, but it will be over quick". Instead of in a menacing and villainy way.

This guy isn't enjoying killing people. It's just a job. He fully realizes his place in the intelligence game, and is not out to get anyone. He just does what he is payed to do. And through Sydows performance, you can even detect a certain sadness or somberness to the character. Like maybe he knows he's been in this job too long. And perhaps the faces of all those people are keeping him up at night. The sheer mechanics of assassination is second nature to him, but he's not detached from it, psychologically, like a psycho or serial killer is.

I think His performance in this movie is amazing. And one of the things that makes this a favourite of mine.

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, no I do not really know much about the CIA or politics behind it, so maybe that was it. I dunno.

I did enjoy Von Sydow's performance though. You know I didn't even realise that was him until one of the very last scenes.

You have quite an interesting insight to the film. I guess you must have watched it quite a bit.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did not mean to imply that you were ignorant [Smile]

And yeah, it is probably one of my favourite movies of the 70's. I've read tons of books on the CIA, their black ops, their cold war politics. Involvement in latin america, middle east etc. So I guess I find this stuff more intrigueing than most.

I also like the ideas of litterary analysis, game theory etc. that the movie deals with. Plus, that certain 'New York in the 70's vibe', I also really dig.

Hell, I could go on and on.... but im not gonna [Smile]

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys, while we may differ a bit on which of the conspiracy thrillers of 70s we favor (I love Three Days and Marathon Man too), the good news is they're are a lot of good ones to choose from. I would add one that I always forget: All the President's Men, a true-life conspiracy thriller.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JAY LEE:
Did not mean to imply that you were ignorant [Smile]

And yeah, it is probably one of my favourite movies of the 70's. I've read tons of books on the CIA, their black ops, their cold war politics. Involvement in latin america, middle east etc. So I guess I find this stuff more intrigueing than most.

I also like the ideas of litterary analysis, game theory etc. that the movie deals with. Plus, that certain 'New York in the 70's vibe', I also really dig.

Hell, I could go on and on.... but im not gonna [Smile]

Ignorant. Nah, I didn't take it that way at all dude [Smile]

I was being completely sincere. I really do not know much about the CIA, and I think that you do have a good insight into the film, to be able to assess it like that off the top of your head.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
Guys, while we may differ a bit on which of the conspiracy thrillers of 70s we favor (I love Three Days and Marathon Man too), the good news is they're are a lot of good ones to choose from. I would add one that I always forget: All the President's Men, a true-life conspiracy thriller.

I watched that recently. I liked it although it was hard to follow at points, but I think it is one of those movies you need to watch a few times(well I do anyway) to understand all that's is going on, another one being Three Days of The Condor. I will check out both these movies again in the near future.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What is it about New York in the 70's? The city was broke, and not much better in some parts than a toilet, and yet... it's fantastic!

quote:
I would add one that I always forget: All the President's Men, a true-life conspiracy thriller
Best of the bunch IMHO.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, All The Presidents Men is another fave of mine!

As far as the "NY 70's" vibe, it's one of those things that you just can't explain. It's like a vibrant energy eminating through the city, and by that, through the movies. French Connection, Shaft, Superfly, Taxi Driver, The Warriors etc. The city is another character in those movies. And im not one for glamourizing slum, poverty and hardship. But the gritty, dirty street real feel that these movies give off, is quite unique, and specific to that decade.

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
"Warriors, come out to play..ey!"
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Missouri Breaks - I'd forgotten just how good this is [Cool] Brando is hilarious.
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Brando did his accents and method-acting stuff, he was indeed hilarious.

Love Warriors, Bernie...great Walter Hill film.

You nailed it Jay Lee: All the films you mentioned completely and totally capture the City and the era.

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think missouri breaks is one of brando's best. i cant honestly say it is the best, for i havent seen that many. But that movie, him and Nicholson do a great job. i have seen this numerous times and it just keeps getting better.

on a side note, it may just be me, but i see where captain jack sparrow got some of his mannerisms from.

the only thing not in my diet, is the green top of a beet and ocra

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
You know, GP, that Jack Sparrow comment got me thinking. Depp loves Brando, and they did Don Juan DeMarco together, so that would be a great question to ask Depp. I know that Depp says that Sparrow is based on Keith Richards, but I'd bet he's channeling Brando too! Great observation.
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
When Brando did his accents and method-acting stuff, he was indeed hilarious.

Love Warriors, Bernie...great Walter Hill film.

You nailed it Jay Lee: All the films you mentioned completely and totally capture the City and the era.

Yeah it is indeed a favourite of mine along with The Wanderers both from '79 and both in NY. Both are fantastic movies.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'The Wanderers' should be better known than it is.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Haunting (1963) [Smile]

-

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
^Love it^.
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Logan 5:
'The Wanderers' should be better known than it is.

I agree, although I saw by complete chance when I was about ten. My brother and I tagged along to my mums friends house and they were talking or whatever in the kitchen while my bro and I closed in on the lounge and found a copy of The Wanderers sitting on the coffee table apparently belonging to the friends husband. We chucked it on and were absolutely enthralled. It starts of so well with Walk Like a Man-So cool.

I never heard of The Warriors either until about ten years ago when my brother who has chronic insomnia was telling me one day day that he watched this weird gang movie that was on TV the night before in the wee hours of the morning. He said it was great and about a week later we bought the VHS tape.

I hold both movies in very high regard and consider myself lucky to know of their existence considering the circumstances that lead me to my initial screening of them.

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Wanderers and The Warriors = Great movies.
Have both on dvd.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I have The Warriors on DVD.

My VHS copy of The Warriors has gone walkabout along with my DVD of The Wanderers.

Just quietly, how gorgeous is Karen Allen in The Wanderers. I wish that poker scene went for a bit longer, if you know what I mean.

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
I only seen both for the first time last year, loved them.
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I guess we can forgive ya for not seeing them til recently  - Glad that you liked them. I guess you don't have any thoughts on Karen Allen  -
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Not the same ones as you lol
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, that would be highly unlikely. I can't even describe my thoughts on that matter  -
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Oh geez lol
  This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home