iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » The say ALMOST anything thread ! (Page 43)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 49 pages: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49   
Author Topic: The say ALMOST anything thread !
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
Teasing us with a mod only section [Razz]

Hehe, in truth, it was only so that I could test out this new colour scheme.. and keep my blunders in private [Wink]
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good job Nick. I especially like the added dates on the topic pages for each topic.
Posts: 1995 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having a bad day! Just borrowed my father's hedge trimmers and gone through the power cord.

I hope he doesn't want them back in a hurry!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the same last summer!

Broke my knee a little about a week ago while playing street hockey with my brothers and some friends.
It still hurts and i can´t walk like i used to plus now i have a fever too!
Maybe i should act my age...

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We lived for street hockey aTomiK...but same thing....played a few years back with some of the old crew...and...I'm not joking...my knees were sore for ......TWO YEARS!!!! [Eek!] [Eek!] Fun times though...
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You weren't making out you was Youngblood atomik were you? At least it gives you an excuse to put your feet up and watch even more movies now!
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am the original Youngblood! [Big Grin] Yeah, kev. Street hockey was one of the best things when we were kids.
Two years with sore knee sounds pretty bad...

That´s what i´ve been doing warrior, watching lots of films. But the fever takes your strength so i feel very tired [Frown]
More reviews coming up though!

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, the ourdoor rinks are all dried up, might have to get some street hockey in to get my fix! Just an obscure question Atomik, were there are any European hockey movies back in the day that were highly regarded like Slapshot, Youngblood, Hockey night? Kev, who was your Racki back when you played?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Don´t remember any, Riptide. But i know this obscure canadian film called The Last Season (1986) which was filmed in Canada and Finland.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0125342/

There´s few finnish actors among the cast and it was released here on vhs. I´m gonna pick it up if i see a copy.

Blurry finnish vhs cover art for The Last Season
 -

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never heard of this one atomik. Have you seen Goon? My husband and I thought it was really funny. It was written by
Jay Barushel, and he had a small part in it. Sean William Scott and Liev Shreiber starred.

Posts: 2292 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
Oh man, the ourdoor rinks are all dried up, might have to get some street hockey in to get my fix! Just an obscure question Atomik, were there are any European hockey movies back in the day that were highly regarded like Slapshot, Youngblood, Hockey night? Kev, who was your Racki back when you played?

Hey Rip. There was actually a TV series in the 80's called "He Shoots, He Scores"...I remember liking it as a kid, but can't remember any details...may not have aged well?

We didn't really have a Racki for street hockey...we'd generally have 10-12 kids in the neighborhood who were the regulars, and just even out the team based on skill...pretty low key with not much fighting! We were hardcore though. My parents driveway was paved and big enough to play in...my Dad played as well....even made a 3 sectioned back board for the end of the driveway so we wouldn't have to chase the ball as much (a garage on the other end). I have vivid memories of the garage with at least a thousand circles from the muddy tennis ball hitting it so many times (we didn't use the hard orange balls). One certainty in the game...if my older brother wound up for a slap shot...you'd pretty much cover your eyes and privates and hope for the best! [Eek!]

Speaking of Racki though, I'm a die hard Edmonton Oilers fan...and fondly remember the Dave Semenko days ...he was quite the enforcer...

[ 21. March 2016, 13:50: Message edited by: kevdugp73 ]

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The hockey movie that I remember quite well, which is relatively unknown in the US, is the Canadian Face Off a/k/a/ Winter Comes Early (1971). What I love about it is that I can't help but laugh thinking of the SCTV parody of it with John Candy done years later. Though it was billed as a "Canadian Love Story" in its day, it is now an incredible cheese-fest collection of the oldest, most moth-eaten movie cliches you can imagine:

1. Young Billy is from a podunk town in frigid Ontario. He loves hockey. There are scenes with a lot of snow... (The whole film has that 1970s Canadian film look like the prints were struck from the internegative or something, all white snow and washed out colors.)
2. Billy grows up to be a really good hockey player, so good that he gets a try-out with THE TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS IN MAPLE LEAF GARDENS. There is actually a scene where his mom kisses him goodbye and puts him on the train to T'ranna, the big city. And there's lots of snow...
3. Billy gets to THE BIG CITY and meets The Coach, played by the late, great Canadian character actor John Vernon--in a turtleneck. (We already know this because in the opening credits it says, "and John Vernon as The Coach." LOL) Added plus: There is great vintage footage of the Leafs and the Gardens from that era.
4. This is all mindboggling for Billy as he has trouble adjusting to life there and on the Maple Leafs. One day, he meets a pretty hippie folk singer. Of course her songs are terrible. They couldn't be more mismatched, but, of course, they fall in love...
5. Billy starts to adjust and be happy, both domestically and on the team, but--and you can see this cliche coming about a mile away--he learns that the young singer has a terminal disease...

Check out Face Off. I promise you that you'll enjoy it but perhaps not for the reasons the filmmakers intended. [Smile]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
Never heard of this one atomik. Have you seen Goon? My husband and I thought it was really funny. It was written by
Jay Barushel, and he had a small part in it. Sean William Scott and Liev Shreiber starred.

I thought Goon was hilarious Pittsburghgirl, I believe there doing a second one!

What is Slapshot like with Paul Newman is that a lot of fun?

Not seen Winter Comes Early or The Last Season but both sound good!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slapshot is even funnier than Goon which is hilarious. It's one of the funniest, best sports movies ever.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those into podcasts, here are a few 80's movie related ones....

Diane Franklin & Amanda Wyss

http://nerdist.com/pop-my-culture-183-diane-franklin-amanda-wyss/

Lea Thompson

http://nerdist.com/nerdist-podcast-708-lea-thompson/

Plenty of other interesing ones, and many with 80's icons talking about their past glories.

Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I just listened to the Amanda Wyss and Diane Franklin podcast and they both spoke really highly of working with John Cusack and believe that he has mellowed in his opinion towards Better Off Dead now!

Cool links Peter,I'm going to check a few more out at a later time!

Crash I'll add Slapshot to my purchase list as it sounds really great,Is the sequel a classic as well? [Big Grin]

-

Gotta admit I cracked up when I saw the cover of this with Stevie Baldwin and the Busey

[ 22. March 2016, 13:23: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a few more that I enjoyed...

Rob Lowe

http://nerdist.com/nerdist-podcast-rob-lowe/

John Cusack

http://nerdist.com/nerdist-podcast-john-cusack/

Kevin Bacon

http://nerdist.com/nerdist-podcast-kevin-bacon/

Curtis Armstrong

http://nerdist.com/nerdist-podcast-curtis-armstrong/

Crispin Glover

http://nerdist.com/nerdist-podcast-crispin-glover/

Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanx lemonjello! Gonna have something fun to do at work tomorrow listening to that stuff
Posts: 1995 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
Y'all are welcome. I especially liked the Kevin Bacon one. It's some years old now, but his stories about living in NY in the 80's and early film work was a treat to listen to. The others are good too.... Crispin Glover is pure magic... weird, bizarre magic.
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

I tried the Diane Franklin and Amanda wuss. I made it through about 25 minutes and couldn't take anymore. Waaaaaay too much political talk for me.

[ 23. March 2016, 09:11: Message edited by: TerdNthePoolGGB ]

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slapshot is the best! I have never seen Slapshot 2, and I have no desire to see it.
Posts: 2292 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by TerdNthePoolGGB:
I tried the Diane Franklin and Amanda wuss. I made it through about 25 minutes and couldn't take anymore. Waaaaaay too much political talk for me.

I don't even remember that, Terd. Usually turns me off too. Don't think the others are like that to the best of my recollection.
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AHH! Virgin Media......  -
Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Crispin Glover is pure magic... weird, bizarre magic.
Just listened to that - it really was good! Crispin always comes across as smart. I liked what he had to say about the Bob's on BttF, he makes it sound like they've been lying about him.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
Well, they were being shifty *******s to him as far as I know. So I think his bitterness is valid.
  This topic comprises 49 pages: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home