iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » favorite episodes of favorite cartoons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: favorite episodes of favorite cartoons
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all talk about our favorite animated serieses when we were young, but which episode(s) in those series did you like best? For my top 5 favorite cartoons (your lists are free to vary in the number of series you choose), my favorites are:

1. Duck Tales: "A Drain on the Economy." Retconned title of the first (and best) part of the "Catch as Cash Can" quadrogy, Scrooge and Glomgold compete for the formal title of world's richest duck so as to gain the rights to the Grand Kishke of Maccaroon's glowing firefly fruit. To this end, Glomgold busts out the Beagle Boys, who decide a full scale assault on the bin works best. This is followed by a 5 minute piece that could be called "Money Bin Alone" (and who knows, maybe it was an inspriration of sorts for Hughes; his son would have been around 7 and a likely hardcore fan when it was first aired. But I'm rambling...), where Scrooge throws everything at them but the kitchen sink (including tripping lawn ornaments, giant steel balls, and land mines). Finaly the Head Beagle get through to the bin with his Indestro Suit to find Scrooge waiting. The following classic exchange occurs:

HEAD BEAGLE: Forget it McDuck, this suit can withstand a 60 millimeter shell!
SCROOGE: Too bad. This tank fires a 61 millimeter shell!
HEAD BEAGLE (quick math): That's one millimeter too many!!
(Scrooge blasts him clean out of the vault)

He then installs "Bertha" the super cannon to blast anyone who comes into the bin, but forgets his top hat and triggers it. The resulting explosion sends his entire fortune down into the sewers, where his nephews spend the bulk of the episode looking for it in several well-written moments (e.g., Beagles dress up as sewer alligator to scare them off, only to run into the real thing and do the same). Eventually the gold end up on top of a high rise, and Scrooge stops the Beagles (after hilarious momentary delirium) by literally giving them his fortune--unfortunately for the elevator they were taking up, which couldn't take the weight. This one just is so loaded with the imagination that made the series the classic it still is, with great performances by the voice actors as well.

2. The Real Ghostbusters: TIE, "The Devil to Pay","Night Game". It was tough to pick one from the dozen or so RGB episodes that are close to the top of my list, so I went with two of the best. The former's a natural for a game show nut like myself: Peter signs his associates up for "Race the Devil," finding out only once they've passed the too late threshhold that the show is in fact demonic, and their souls are in play (WINSTON: I have sold my soul to the devil, I have sold my soul to the devil... RAY: You didn't sell it to the devil, Dib's only a minor demon. WINSTON: I have sold my sould to a minor demon, I have sold my soul to a minor demon...) The creatively executed three part game for their lives includes a lethal round of "Spikes," which is basically what you'd have if they chose bin Laden to be next host of Wheel of Fortune, a twisted version of Let's Make a Deal, starring ultravillian Samhaine--sort of (what would your choice be if it were between Door #1, Door #1, and Door #1?), and a trip on the Roulette Wheel of Doom, where our heroes are forced to admit something awful they didn't tell about (EGON: Once in college I got an A- on a test and my parents wouldn't talk to me for a week. PETER: Can we drop the ball on him!?) In the second choice, they find themselves in the middle of a 500 year war between good and evil...on the baseball diamond...with Winston at the bat with the fate of one mortal soul on the line (whose soul? I'm not telling if you haven't seen it). This one stands out for its interesting take on morality, and whether you'd be willing to cheat for a friend if none can be neutral between good and evil. For as the ghostly umpire points out to our heroes, "Evil cheats, that is its nature...if good adopts the ways of evil and cheats, it becomes evil." Much deeper than usual for this type of show.

3. Inspector Gadget: Launch Time. Gadget's assigned to stop M.A.D. from blowing up the space shuttle or otherwise disabling it (Quimby takes the guise of a carnival ticket taker, one of my favorites, but he still can't get clear of the assignment before it blows, as always). Classic Gadget moments ensue, with the head henchman posing as tour guide trying to off Gadget with numerous space program apparatus, from zero gravity rocket pits ("My niece would love this ride.") to depressurized weight chambers, to asteroid rooms, to test rockets on rails (he makes the mistake of saying he'll "race" Gadget to the finish line, so that when Brain notices his master's headed straight for a brick wall, he just throws the switch to let the bad guy have it instead). Penny doesn't really come in till about halfway through, yet still makes a good mark, showing clearly that she could easily make a fortune selling computer books to those brainless movie bomb squad "experts" who otherwise have no clue what color wire to cut. Finally, Claw for once acknowledges he's surrounded himself with idiots and tries to destroy the shuttle on his own; as you'd expect it fails and flies away making sure the whole world knows he'll get him NEXT TIME!!! Sums up everything that was great about the series

4. TMNT: "Turtles, Turtles Everywhere" Here, the Shredder's latest absolutely absurd plan (do you think he and C.O.B.R.A. Commander were classmates at evil medical school?) is to override New York's garbage system to bring every turtle in the city to him. As you'd expect, things go far from plan, but when they nab the last sea turtle of a dying species as it's about to lay her eggs, our heroes decide he's hitting way under the belt and go to shut down his operation yet again. This one's notable since they break the 4th wall no fewer than 5 times, (L: They've got Donatello! M: It's terrible! R: But oh what a great cliffhanger! (fade to commercial)), and spread it around so that someone other than Raphael can do this time. It also has a rare truly poignant cartoon ending, with Michaelangelo stating emotionally that the sea turtle, as she waddles back to the waves, mission accomplished, looks so much his mother. But if you want poignancy:

5. New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: "Find Her, Keep Her." Before Finding Nemo burned up the box office, this episode hits on some of the same things, albeit not quite as deeply due to the half hour time limit. Basically, Rabbit adopts a young blue bird (Kessie's the name, but don't ask me why or how) and becomes overly protective much as Marlin would years later. Turns out, the normally iron bunny's scared of her flying away on him and leaving the good times he has with her now to whither away forever, so he does all in his power to prevent it, believing in his heart that's what best for her. This episode has it all: heavy drama when Tigger finds out the hard way that when you go out tree-jumping, it's best to leave alone the old dead ones on the edge of cliffs that will then topple under your weight and leave you and your passenger hanging on thousands of feet above the wood. It has sorrow: Rabbit's pain when he's forced to admit Kessie can fly and wants to fly (had he bothered to step outside the path of Tigger's rubber band launcher before ordering him to let go of it, he may have had a point for his arguments), his sorrowful walk out of frame, Kessie's begging him to read to him like they used to, Rabbit shaking his head and tearfully saying, "You're all grown up now, you don't need...me anymore." It did make the six year old I was at the time break down, I'll tell you that for sure. But with every tear comes the promise of a news tomorrow, Kessie flies south for the winter to the delight of all. Except old Long Ears, who couldn't quite make to the launch with the first carrots she grew on time. But as he mourns, she turns, because she is grateful for all he did for her and couldn't leave without saying goodbye and the promise to return someday. Pooh and Piglet sum the whole thing: "I'm not sure, Piglet, but I think it has something to do with love. But I think Rabbit only knows for sure." (pan to Rabbit eagerly watching the sky for her next arrival, fade to black). Touching like few other cartoons could.

All that aside, what were your favorite shows of your favorite cartoons in the 80s?

[ 05. April 2007, 22:54: Message edited by: Chris the CandyFanMan ]

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great post, mine are

1) Dungeons & Dragons: Best episode was 'The Dragon's Graveyard' where Tiamat helps our heroes, Venger is revealed to be Dungeon Master's son and its pretty much hinted that the guys are probably never going to get home. All thats enough to drive an eight year old to drink, but in spite of the downbeat nature of it all, it was actually one of the most uplifting and finely crafted 30 minutes of TV ever produced.

other favourites, though I can't remember the episode titles were Ulyses 31, Thundercats, GI Joe, Spiderman & His Amazing Friends and The Incedible Hulk

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG, you picked all my favorite episodes of these shows! [Big Grin]

Although, for me, my main fave eps of TMNT are "Cowabunga, Shredhead" & "New York's Shiniest"--I even own the video they were put on a long time ago. [Smile] Now I just have to collect all the DVDs of the *whole* show so I can see all my other faves. That shouldn't be too hard... ^^;;

Interestingly enough, Chris, I also own the VHS with the "Winnie The Pooh" episode you mentioned on it--& the other 9 that were released with it. It took me forever to find those babies again, after my mom "accidentally" sold them in her garage sale... ^^;;

And while I do greatly enjoy watching all of the other shows (esp. Care Bears, TMNT, Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, etc., etc.), Winnie The Pooh is the epitome of 80's cartoons for me... [Big Grin]

*gasp* OMG, I forgot to mention my most favorite C&D:RR episode of all: "Dale Beside Himself". Aliens, creepy clones, & sci-fi galore--what more could you ask for in a furry cartoon? [Big Grin]

Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say that my favorite 80s cartoons, or rather the ones that stick out the most for me would be anything to do with Fraggile Rock. That show always just captivated me, it still does. I am glad that it is available now on DVD.

Whenever I hear mention of 80s cartoons I always think of "The Littles". They lived behind the wall and I always remember the guy flying the plane.

I also loved Muppet Babies. It is so funny to know that the voice of their caregiver was none other than JUNE CLEAVER aka Barbara Billingsly.

Any one of those bring back good memories for me.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The CW does still air an hour of The Littles Sunday mornings (at 10 in my area; check your local listings). The only drawback is that the show's original custom DiC logo, with Dinky tossing up the button to dot the i, has now been plastered over at the end with their current "Incredible World of DiC" bumper (as such the credits seem to have been sped up to accomodate this, since the title song now ends before the final fade to black and a few sound effects seem slightly off). Other than that, it's refreshing to watch, especially in these days, for every frame screams fresh imagination that's sorely lacking in animated shows today.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jessie the Sunflower Goddess:
I have to say that my favorite 80s cartoons, or rather the ones that stick out the most for me would be anything to do with Fraggile Rock. That show always just captivated me, it still does. I am glad that it is available now on DVD.

Whenever I hear mention of 80s cartoons I always think of "The Littles". They lived behind the wall and I always remember the guy flying the plane.

I also loved Muppet Babies. It is so funny to know that the voice of their caregiver was none other than JUNE CLEAVER aka Barbara Billingsly.

Any one of those bring back good memories for me.

Barbara Billingsly played Nanny? Wow...I never even noticed all these years. ^^;;
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home