iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 22)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  27  28  29   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I could go another hundred miles"
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swamp Thing (1982) starring Louis Jourdan and Adrienne Barbeau.

Decent enough for what it was, this Wes Craven movie is based on the DC Comics characters, and comes across very much as a 'gentle Troma' movie. There's very little gore, the violence is more humorous than gratuitous, what nudity there is is minimal, and kept to a couple of easily editable-for-tv segments, and the characters play mainly for laughs rather than bigging up the schlock-horror aspect.

All in all, it's a fairly enjoyable throwaway of a movie.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Bloodbath at the House of Death (1984)

"Six scientists arrive at the creepy Headstone Manor to investigate a strange phenomena which was the site of a mysterious massacre years earlier where 18 guests were killed in one night.
It turns out that the house is the place of a satanic cult lead by a sinister monk who plans to kill the scientists who are inhabiting this house of Satan." (IMDb)

Saw this fun british horror movie spoof some 30 years back and now watched it again [Smile]
Starring Kenny Everett who also had a cool show on his own back in the day.

American Werewolf in London, Carrie, Alien, Entity, E.T., Star Wars etc. Some very funny scenes here and the comedy can also be pretty rude at times.
Legendary Vincent Price is clearly having a great time as evil Mr. Sinister.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I've not watched Bloodbath At The House Of Death for some time now but I do recall it being more amusing than most of the reviews for it at the time would have you believe!

Atomik have you got the comedy Water with Michael Caine and Billy Connolly as that is one I' ve not seen for about 30 years now and can't remember if it was any good or not?

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don´t have Water, warrior. Saw the tape on sale once but sadly didn´t grab it.
Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Night Of The Comet the other night.

Only thing I really got from it is that Robert Beltran has always been a terrible actor, he didn't actually just stink in Voyager...

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Dragons Forever (1988)

"Jackie Chan stars as a hot-shot lawyer hired by a Hong Kong chemical plant to dispose of opposition to their polluting ways. But when he falls for a beautiful woman out to stop the plant, Jackie is torn in a conflict of interest and asks his trusty friends Samo and Biao to help out at least until they discover the true purpose of the plant."

Theme

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Not bad Charles Bronson thriller from 1988 which is in all truth a little bit light on the action but still I did find it to be pretty entertaining and Bronson here gives a decent performance as a Denver newspaper journalist who's following up a story on a brutal slaying of a Mormon family.

Well directed by J Lee Thompson who had made 7 films With Bronson prior to this and actually went on to make a ninth and final movie together in Kinjite - Forbidden Subjects the following year and while this is certainly not up there with the best of em' it's decent enough viewing with the only negatives being some rather embarrassing acting from the supporting cast and an all to abrupt ending!

This Blu Ray from UK distributor 88 films looks none to bad with the beautiful Colorado mountain scenery really standing out and while light on the extras it does include a trailer for the feature plus a few other trailers and a reversible cover art.

Yeah so overall probably about a 7/10.

https://youtu.be/MXGNvlA82mM - Messenger Of Death trailer 1988.

[ 27. November 2016, 15:12: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

"A band of friends go on a drunken, all-night spree, spending a night in a high-class San Francisco brothel." (Wiki)

I got tired with this one pretty fast.
What we have here is grown men whining about problems with family life and their sexual frustrations.

The cast is interesting of course but the script could´ve been much better.
Lots of pretty ladies here and especially Playboy Playmate january ´84 Penny Baker was a sight for sore eyes [Wink]

Like Leo Logan posted earlier, Blu-ray/DVD coming from Olive Films in January 2017.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I watched The Men's Club way back and remember very little from it apart from it being a bit dull and this despite it having a really great cast!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Mission Kill (1986)

"An ex-Green Beret visits one of his army buddies, and finds himself involved in his friend's scheme to smuggle arms into a turbulent South American country." (IMDb)

Ginty time and while this was a decent time waster, it´s far from his strongest hour and a half.
The film was written, directed and produced by David Winters who had an eclectic career.
This guy went from West Side Story to Trashin´ and was a well known dance choreographer too.

Ginty does his job and we have a few decent action sequences here but nothing really memorable stuff.
Cameron Mitchell plays Ginty´s pal Harry and he´s the type of fella you just know is going to get wasted. That happens before the half hour mark [Big Grin]
One of my favorites, Olivia d´Abo is totally miscast as one of the rebels. She was still underaged so our hero can´t even sleep with her although she showed skin already in Bolero two years earlier.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
https://youtu.be/lVa--mBCOoA - just checked out the trailer Atomik and it looks pretty lively stuff,i really liked Ginty but i don't think he always got offered the best of projects to work on!

Quite a few of his I've yet to see -

Scarab
Warriors Of The Lost World
Three Kinds If Heat
Mission Kill
Vietnam Texas
The Bounty Hunter
Cop Target
Maniac Killer
Gold Raiders
White Fire
Programmed To Kill aka The Retaliator which I did have on VHS but sadly the tape was mangled!

I've watched both of the awesome Exterminator's as well as Out On Bail (1989) which wasn't bad,The Act (1982) a political thriller which was a bit uneventful but passable and The Alchemist which I didn't dislike!

Other than that i've just seen him in small roles in films like Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man and Loverboy but he was definitely a cool actor!

[ 03. December 2016, 03:56: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

A hard-nosed Chicago journalist has an unlikely love affair with an eagle researcher - from IMDb.

Watched the 1981 Comedy Romance Continental Divide for the very first time and despite reading many mixed reviews I found it to fairly enjoyable overall and while not Overly hilarious i still thought it had the odd good laugh here and there!

Performances were all good especially from John Belushi and Blair Brown who I thought made for a likeable couple and it took me a while to recognise him (my wife kept saying who's that he looks familiar and I kept saying I don't know but your right he does look familiar and then It clicked) but the hulking Tony Ganios who played Meat in the Porky's movies turns up here under heavy disguise as a bearded mountain man.

Beautiful scenery as well and there's a moment where Belushi is stood at a train station and you can see all the surrounding mountainside and it looked stunning and I'd think you could wait there all day for a train and not get bored!

Yeah so a sweet natured comedy that made for a pleasant enough viewing but while watching it I couldn't help but keeping thinking that only about a year later Belushi would be dead from a drugs overdose and it did make you think what a waste of a great talent!

I'd rate it a respectable 7/10.

https://youtu.be/6bicYP_rdWE - Continental Divide trailer.

[ 04. December 2016, 08:25: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always enjoyed Continental Divide, a real change-of-pace for Belushi, a rom-com. It's sharply written by the great Lawrence Kasdan ("The bear stole my cigarettes!"), and Belushi and Blair Brown have really nice chemistry, the kind you can believe is real. Belushi even got himself into shape and lost weight for the part. I think that he was crushed that it didn't do better business. And then, as you've said, YW, he'd be dead of an OD in a year. What a waste of an extraordinary talent.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, Continental Divide is good stuff!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Cat Chaser (1989)

"A Miami hotel owner finds danger when be becomes romantically involved with the wife of a deposed general
from the Dominican Republic where he fought many years back." (IMDb)

This was a pretty messy thriller directed by Abel Ferrara based on the novel of the same name by Elmore Leonard.
The film stars Peter Weller, Kelly McGillis, Charles Durning, Frederic Forrest and Tomas Milian.

Lots of talk in here with a totally unnecessary narrator. Weller didn´t like the idea so they hired Reni Santoni to do the talking [Big Grin]
There´s a very realistic sex scene between Peter and Kelly and McGillis´ completely nude character is humiliated by her husband so no wonder she hated the the film.
Add full frontal male nudity and few nasty kills so you have a complete Ferrara experience [Big Grin]

Weller is solid plus i like Durning and Forrest but the screenplay is so confused at times i can´t really recommend this one.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cat Chaser was taken away from Ferrara during the time of the Vestron bankruptcy and re-edited against his wishes. As you said, aTomiK, there's some good stuff here, like the goofy Elmore Leonard plot of Weller's involvement with the wife of a deposed DR general. (There is some great dialogue: "I thought I was going to die. He gave me a beer." LOL) Kelly McGillis, despite having the tackiest wardrobe you've ever seen, is quite uninhibited and excellent. (And that one scene where she's violated is really nasty and disturbing.) The cast of Weller, Forest, and Durning is fine--and Durning says "turlet" for "toilet" which is great. All in all, it's somewhat of a disjointed mess but an interesting one nonetheless. I know that even way back in the laserdisc days a director's cut was promised, but nothing has ever materialized. The longer, uncensored version--not the one shown in U.S. theatres or on cable--is the one to see.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched some obscure flix recently,
Uncle Buck
WarGames
Christmas Vacation
PLanes Trains & Automobiles,
I highly recommend all of these if you have not 80s scene them

Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Dog Day (1984)

"A fugitive on the run from the law and carrying several million dollars hides out in the house of a farm family.
The tables turn when the family turns out to be even more criminally oriented than he is, and begins to terrorize him instead of the other way around." (IMDb)

Saw Dog Day back in the 80s and it was cool to see this Yves Boisset film again after all these years.
It´s one of the last films Marvin did and i have to say that he doesn´t do much. Tina Louise is the other american born here but her role isn´t that big.

The farm people are pretty vulgar so it might turn some people of but if you´re open minded check it out. The Francis Lai penned theme tune is beautiful.
This is not a masterpiece but i enjoyed watching these wacko characters and the overall sweaty atmosphere.

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Evil Under The Sun (1982)

Entertaining but rather forgettable Agatha Christie murder mystery, starring Peter Ustinov as Hercule Poirot.
Bloodless and mostly played for laughs, Evil Under The Sun features an allstar cast including Jane Birkin,
Roddy McDowall, James Mason, Sylvia Miles, Diana Rigg, Maggie Smith, and Colin Blakely.

This was Ustinov's second appearance as super sleuth Hercule Poirot (after Death On The Nile, 1978),
and he would go on to play the role again in several made-for-TV movies as well as Appointment With Death (1988).

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Evil Under the Sun is a good, but completely forgettable, Agatha Christie mystery. I've always liked Ustinov as Poirot. He was charming and brought a comedic flair to the part. The less said about Appointment with Death, the better. It's an example--like Superman and Death Wish--of Cannon Films taking a franchise and running it into the ground with a cheapjack production.

But if you want to see a real slog of a movie made out of an Agatha Christie novel, take a look at Cannon's Ordeal by Innocence, which also wastes a fantastic cast, including Donald Sutherland, Christopher Plummer, and Fay Dunaway. It's sort of a one-off Christie since it doesn't feature either Poirot or Miss Marple. It has a pretty good pretty underlying plot--Sutherland returns from an expedition to Antarctica, I believe, to discover to his horror that he was the sole alibi witness for a guy hanged for murder while he was gone--but the whole enterprise moves with the pace of a slug and just lies there, wasting cast, talent, and money.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Watched the 1980 Cannon Films horror The Godsend about a strange and heavily pregnant woman (played by Donald Pleasance's daughter Angela) who turns up at a remote country house which belongs to Alan and Kate Marlowe plus there four children and while there she suddenly goes into labour giving birth to a daughter (later to be named as Bonnie) and though at first everything seems fine come the next morning she has disappeared leaving her newborn daughter in the care of the Marlowe family!

Trouble is for the Marlowe family is that there is more to this cute little baby girl than what meets the eye and as she grows a real evil streak becomes apparent and soon she is trying to despatch of all the other young siblings of her new adopted family so that she can then become the one and only sole child!

Not bad British horror which while being pretty tame with a distinct absence of any gore,nudity etc makes up for it somewhat by being both very well shot (some cool aerial shots here of London and it's surroundings) and also fairly well acted by the majority of the cast!

-

The Blu Ray from Scream Factory I thought was decent with a pretty good Picture/Audio transfer and this was despite it having to share about half its disc space with the very enjoyable 1987 genie horror feature The Outing.

So while there's nothing overly amazing here i'd still say it's an enjoyable 90 minutes or so and that it has the added bonus of some terrific location shots of 1980s Great Britain.

Yeah so certainly not bad and at least worth a watch! - 6.5/10.

https://youtu.be/zt1doLuzQoQ - The Godsend trailer (1980).

[ 15. December 2016, 13:30: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
 -

Dog Day (1984)

"A fugitive on the run from the law and carrying several million dollars hides out in the house of a farm family.
The tables turn when the family turns out to be even more criminally oriented than he is, and begins to terrorize him instead of the other way around." (IMDb)

Saw Dog Day back in the 80s and it was cool to see this Yves Boisset film again after all these years.
It´s one of the last films Marvin did and i have to say that he doesn´t do much. Tina Louise is the other american born here but her role isn´t that big.

The farm people are pretty vulgar so it might turn some people of but if you´re open minded check it out. The Francis Lai penned theme tune is beautiful.
This is not a masterpiece but i enjoyed watching these wacko characters and the overall sweaty atmosphere.

I've not seen this since it's original release but It's definitely one that I have stuck in my head as it was seriously messed up in places!

I think it needs a revisit just for me to see if it's every bit as sleazy as I remember it being from watching it back in the day on VHS.

Though one thing for certain is that it was certainly different from Lee Marvin's other works! [Big Grin]

[ 15. December 2016, 16:48: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tango and Cash. Totally cheesy flick with all the 80's cliches- Cops gets framed, industrial warehouse of some dot with steam flowing everywhere, etc.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Deadly Force (1983)

"Stoney Cooper, a former Los Angeles police officer, is at a low point in his life. Kicked off the force because of his anti-authority attitude, he now ekes out a living as a freelancer in New York.
All this changes when the daughter of an old friend is killed by a serial killer terrorizing L.A. Although almost nobody in his old home town is happy to see him back,
Cooper pledges to bring the killer to justice before any more innocent people die." (IMDb)

Slightly disappointing Wings Hauser vehicle.
What we get is mostly offscreen kills and pretty dull over-all feel. Hauser is a fun fella and has this b-grade charisma i like.
Some nice early 80s street scenery here but let´s face it, this should´ve been much better. Making an entertaining action film back in ´83 was no rocket science.

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home