iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 71)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
One of my least fave Amicus anthologies, Torture Garden (1967) but still a decent film and the Peter Cushing segment is wonderful.

Also watched the wonderful The Creeping Flesh, the ending always kills me [Frown]

I'm fairly partial, Helen, to the grandfather of all the Amicus anthology films, "Dr. Terror's House of Horror." I know that you like "The House That Dripped Blood." They are all good. I'm not sure how I'd rank them. "Tales that Witness Madness," which I only recently saw for the first time is the least interesting, but it doesn't count because like "The Creeping Flesh," it's a World Film Services (I think a nice way of saying "a class product from scuzzy Tigon") not Amicus, film. [Smile]

Love "The Creeping Flesh," by the way. I have fond memories of reading about the film, which was released in February 1973 in the U.S., and then being delighted that it turned up very shortly thereafter, if memory serves me, fall 1973 on the late, great CBS Late Movie. If you loved horror films, Friday night starting at 11:30 p.m. was the time to see them, and the CBS Late Movie in the U.S. was the place to see them--the Hammer Frankenstein and Dracula films, Dr. Phibes and its sequel, most of the Corman Poe films, "The Thing with Two Heads," trashy biker films where Adam Roarke got higher billing than Bruce Dern and Jack Nicholson... Those were the days!

[ 14. January 2013, 23:57: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hello [Big Grin]
Hiya [Cool]

quote:
In a theatre, front of house. Can you imagine the pain of Coleen Nolan singing I'm in the mood for dancin' that many times? [Razz]
The pleasure Helen, the pleasure... I can imagine it only too well...

"DAAAAAAAAAAANCE! YEEEEAH LET'S DAAAAAAAAAAANCE! C'MON AND DAAAAAAAAAAAAAANCE!"

The Shining... again.

[ 14. January 2013, 17:09: Message edited by: Logan 5 ]

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sparkle (1976)

"A girl group experiences turmoil after one of their members turns to drugs
and another achieves their desired fame all by herself." (IMDb)

Decent little drama directed by Sam O'Steen
and written by the duo Joel Schumacher/Howard Rosenman.
The film stars Irene Cara, Philip Michael Thomas, stunning Lonette McKee, Dwan Smith,
Mary Alice, Dorian Harewood and cool Tony King as crimelord Satin Struthers.

It was nice to see all the familar faces among the cast
and i liked some of the tunes written by Curtis Mayfield.
Haven´t seen the 2012 remake.

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i recently seen the shining as well, on blu ray too, really good picture. i havent seen many kubrick films, so i cant honestly say its his best, but it has a high replay value for me
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had a discussion about Kubrick with another film buff in my office. He said, "You are not going to like this, but I don't like Kurbrick, and I know that you think that he's the greatest director of all time" I asked, "What don't you like?" He said, "I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is overrated." I didn't argue with him (even though I love 2001) and just responded, "What did you think of The Shining?" He said, "I loved it. It's great." "What about Dr. Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange, and Barry Lyndon?" "Oh, those are great movies. I love them." The point was that by the end of the discussion, it was clear that he really liked just about every Kubrick movie except 2001! So much for "not liking Kubrick." LOL

Kubrick was a director for the ages. If you liked The Shining--and who doesn't?--check out his other stuff. I think that you will be suitably impressed. [Smile]

[ 12. March 2013, 12:54: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had barry lyndon recorded in hd, but upgraded the service and it got erased in the process, what i seen of it looked really sharp, i thought i had heard on a documentary that they said every shot in that film was like a painting , or something in praise of the cinematography
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
i really liked full metal jacket as well, have to wonder how it would have been with anthony michael hall in it instead of modine
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
GP, you are definitely right about Barry Lyndon. Some may describe it as too slow, but no one can debate that each shot looks like something that could be hanging on the wall of a museum. There's a scene in a huge room lighted entirely by candlelight, without the use of fill lights or spots. You can make out every detail and see the actors' faces clearly. I read an article that Kubrick had to figure out the special equipment and film stock to use to get that shot--and knowing him, he probably did about 50 takes to get it just perfect. It's really something.

I really like Full Metal Jacket too. You pose an excellent question. Anthony Michael Hall and Matthew Modine are actually good, very underrated actors. I don't think that it would have made much difference. Hall would have been good in the part too.

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eyes Wide Shut is the best after The Shining for me, hypnotic  -
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
One of my least fave Amicus anthologies, Torture Garden (1967) but still a decent film and the Peter Cushing segment is wonderful.

Also watched the wonderful The Creeping Flesh, the ending always kills me [Frown]

I'm fairly partial, Helen, to the grandfather of all the Amicus anthology films, "Dr. Terror's House of Horror." I know that you like "The House That Dripped Blood." They are all good. I'm not sure how I'd rank them. "Tales that Witness Madness," which I only recently saw for the first time is the least interesting, but it doesn't count because like "The Creeping Flesh," it's a World Film Services (I think a nice way of saying "a class product from scuzzy Tigon") not Amicus, film. [Smile]

Love "The Creeping Flesh," by the way. I have fond memories of reading about the film, which was released in February 1973 in the U.S., and then being delighted that it turned up very shortly thereafter, if memory serves me, fall 1973 on the late, great CBS Late Movie. If you loved horror films, Friday night starting at 11:30 p.m. was the time to see them, and the CBS Late Movie in the U.S. was the place to see them--the Hammer Frankenstein and Dracula films, Dr. Phibes and its sequel, most of the Corman Poe films, "The Thing with Two Heads," trashy biker films where Adam Roarke got higher billing than Bruce Dern and Jack Nicholson... Those were the days!

Yeah Dr. Terror's is good too. House That Dripped Blood is perfection to me along with From Beyond The Grave [Smile] I wanna see Tales That Witness Madness!

CBS Late Movie sounds fantastic [Big Grin]

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finnish channel MTV3 aired horror movies back in the mid 80s
and that´s the first time i saw classic Universal and Hammer films
like Bride of Frankenstein, Wicker Man, The Mummy etc.
Great times!

Here´s the opening from ´86 with a funny host:

"Wednesday Midnight" opening 1986

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh dear LOL
Musical families rock - and don't you forget it! Only a fool and communist would think otherwise! [Mad]

I find your anti-Nolanism (yes, it is a real thing) highly suspicious. I'm watching you Helen... [Eek!]

quote:
I just had a discussion about Kubrick with another film buff in my office. He said, "You are not going to like this, but I don't like Kurbrick, and I know that you think that he's the greatest director of all time" I asked, "What don't you like?" He said, "I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is overrated." I didn't argue with him (even though I love 2001) and just responded, "What did you think of The Shining?" He said, "I loved it. It's great" "What about Dr. Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange, and Barry Lyndon?" "Oh, those are great movies. I love them." The point was that by the end of the discussion, it was clear that he really liked just about every Kubrick movie except 2001! So much for "not liking Kubrick." LOL
I feel the same way. Not a fan of Kubrick. Well, except for the Shining, Barry Lyndon, Dr. Strangelove, Lolita... and so on.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our Man Flint (1965) starring James Coburn as the debonair agent Derek Flint. Pretty good as spy spoofs go, it's played fairly straight and, as a result, I think I prefer the Dean Martin Matt Helm spoofs a little better, as they don't seem to take themselves as seriously as this one does.

The sequel, In Like Flint (1967), is sitting waiting for me to watch later tonight. As I recall, that's a bit more tongue-in-cheek.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
what is dr goldfoot and the bikini machine, is that like these movies?
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
how about that ending to the shining though, has to be right up there with some of the best endings in movies, very eerie without trying to be, cant figure out which is the scariest of the two this or halloween
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine and its made-in-Italy sequel, Dr. Goldfoot and Girl Bombs, were AIP's attempt to do the whole spy-spoof thing in kind of the style of the AIP beach party films. (They originally were going to do Machine as a musical, but they cut out the songs.) Machine was directed by an Oscar winner, Norman Taurog, who did a bunch of Elvis films and the Martin and Lewis films. Although it's just light fluff, and nothing to write home about, Taurog, an old pro, does a really nice job with the slapstick and pacing, and the big San Francisco chase at the end is fantastic. Everyone, especially Vincent Price, appears to be having a darned good time.

The sequel directed by maestro Mario Bava is absolutely terrible, his worst film. Lousy screenplay, lame comedy, Price goes through the motions because it's clear that he knows that it's bad. I recently saw a DVD double bill of these two for $(US)5 in a WalMart cut-out bin, and I almost bought it. I restrained myself because Girl Bombs is so terrible, I'm never going to watch it again, and I've seen Machine a couple of times and have no need to have it in my collection. I saved the five bucks for coffee... [Smile]

I would note that I'm pretty sure that Austin Powers himself, Mike Myers, must be a fan of Dr. Goldfoot. [Smile]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
quote:

CBS Late Movie sounds fantastic [Big Grin] [/QB]

The CBS Late Movie

It was the best, a veritable film school education every night of the week. It had a very memorable theme, credit sequence, and preview of the night's films with CBS's booth announcer at the time, Norman Stevens, always memorably plugging the films.

Here's another one. Note that, surprising for a really pro outfit like CBS, there is a typo: "Medusa" should have only one "s"!

The CBS Late Movie again

Enjoy!

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
speaking of bava, i think some of his films are on the netflix instant watch, lucio fulci as well.

just got the first season of night gallery awhile back, watched their tearing down tim reily's bar, good episode, night gallery has some good scary stuff in it as well

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Lots of Bava flicks on Netflix: Black Sabbath; Black Sunday; Kill, Baby...Kill; Lisa and the Devil/House of Exorcism; Knives of the Avenger; Bay of Blood; and Roy Colt and Winchester Jack, are still up for instant streaming, I think.
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The original Smokey And The Bandit (1977) was on tv here early this morning.

I always thought Burt Reynolds and Sally Field made a good couple.
The same goes for the Snowman (Jerry Reed) and his trusty companion Fred. [Big Grin]

An incredible amount of highly quotable lines from sheriff Buford T. Justice (Jackie Gleason) add to the fun !

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
jason and the argonauts on blu ray

good movie. seemed to end aburptly, no closure in ceartin areas but nonetheless alot of fun

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Malibu Hot Summer aka Sizzle Beach USA (shot in the late 70s, released during the 80s)

This was a nice Troma T&A film.
Simple plot, bad acting and lots of nudity.
The cast includes bunch of nobodys (most of them very pretty i must say [Smile] ) and a fun midget.
Kevin Costner co-stars in his first movie.

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
im sold, where can i get my copy
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

St. Ives (1976)

This was a very good crime film directed by J. Lee Thompson.
The cast is excellent: Charles Bronson, John Houseman, Jacqueline Bisset, Maximilian Schell,
Harry Guardino, Harris Yulin, D1ck O´Neill and Dana Elcar.
You can also see Robert Englund, Jeff Goldblum and Daniel J. Travanti in small roles.

This movie represented the first of nine teamings of director J. Lee Thompson with Charles Bronson.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

The Amazing Howard Hughes (1977)

This was an excellent biopic based on the book by Hughes' business partner Noah Dietrich.
Directed by William A. Graham and starring Tommy Lee Jones, Ed Flanders, James Hampton
and huge supporting cast.
Jones and Flanders are fantastic! Highly recommended!

This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home