iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 90)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
 -

Wow, I just giggled way too much at that!
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kentucky Fried Movie is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Almost all of the sketches and jokes hit dead on. And it ends with the brilliant "Fistful of Yen" mini-movie which is a spot-on parody of "Enter the Dragon." I love it!
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever I think of John Landis I not only think of all the fun movies that he made but I instantly think about the on set incident on - twilight zone the movie where the actor vic morrow and two young children tragically lost there lives - https://youtu.be/ru6I9Cc9XnE ,reading up on the incident it seems that Landis sure was acting slightly reckless on set - getting the helicopter to fly lower (over morrow and the 2 children),using live ammunition,abusing the rights of child actors (making them work late into the night) etc etc - he sure did sound like a bit of a nightmare to work under!

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2937958 - 10 of the worst on set movie disasters with - twilight zone the movie listed at number one.

[ 30. January 2016, 05:05: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Landis was entirely responsible for those three deaths. Which is why I always have sort of a bitter taste in my mouth when watching his films. Honestly, he should have done time for this.
Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His career never recovered though. He was an A Director prior to that, and afterwards had lost that status.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched Kansas City Bomber (1972) which was pretty melancholic sports drama.

"Roller-derby skater K. C. Carr tries to balance her desire for a happy personal life and her dreams of stardom."

The drama part offered nothing special but the roller derby scenes were intense. The fights and hits felt quite real.
Raquel was solid and did most of her own stunts, she even broke her wrist while rehearsing.
Roller derby is an interesting sport and has it´s origins way back in 1930s which is surprising. It´s one of the eight sports under consideration for inclusion in the 2020 Olympic Games.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always had a soft spot for Kansas City Bomber because, as a kid in the 60s and 70s, I grew up watching roller derby on TV. In the past few years, the sport has been making a slow comeback. My son and I went to a female roller derby match in Pittsburgh a few years ago. It was pretty entertaining because they are now going more for a punk/goth vibe with colorful costumes and ridiculous names like "Snot Rocket Science" and "Mel Practice." Oh yeah, and a guy came out and played the National Anthem on the saw with a bow. I kid you not! It's still a really rough sport. The Pittsburgh Derby Demons website used to feature a gallery of x-rays of broken clavicles, shoulder dislocations, and the like.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the release of Drew Barrymore's directorial debut Whip It (2009), starring Ellen Page,
had something to do with it as well.. which is an excellent movie, by the way ! [Smile]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I liked Whip It too. Roller derby is cool.
[Smile]

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to try the roller derby thing a long time ago, but now I am too old. I did go roller skating last year, at a little rink in McKeesport, outside of Pittsburgh. It was for our niece's birthday party. I was a bit wobbly for the first 30 minutes, but did better after that. I did fall once, getting off of the rink!
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Good for you, PGH-girl! A woman at my old workplace did derby for a while until she broke her collarbone. Those injuries can be brutal. I don't know where the Derby Demons have their matches now, but when we saw them, I think that it was at the rink in Harmarville. I know that the "official post-match party bar" of the Pittsburgh roller derby used to the Smiling Moose across the river. A good friend of mine described it as "a scary biker bar." ROFLMAO
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roller derby rocks and i really hope that it will become Olympic sport!
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched The End (1978).

"Wendell Lawson has only 3-12 months to live. Not wanting to live his last few months of life waiting for the end, he decides to take his own life.
He enlists the help of a humorously delusional mental patient, and the movie chronicles his many unsuccessful attempts to kill himself. Will he ever succeed...?" (IMDb)

This was a bit uneven comedy/drama. Some serious issues here but also great laughs.
I think that Dom DeLuise saves the film when he appears after some 50 minutes. Such a funny character.
The script was originally written for Woody Allen and it would´ve been awesome to see him and DeLuise go crazy.
Not bad but gives mixed feelings.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

i watched the really entertaining 1979 jonathan demme thriller - last embrace (rental) starring roy scheider,janet margolin who i only just realised passed away aged 50 way back in 93 after reading up on her imdb page,charles napier,john glover and the terrific christopher walken.

-
The beautiful Janet Margolin.

been years since i last caught this one,i remember enjoying it,it's a great little paranoia thriller with scheider as a goverment agent who's convinced that someone's out to get him,awesome location shooting here with its finale taking place at the niagara falls which i would absolutely love to visit and also some incredible looking buildings at i believe - princeton university in new jersey.

i watched this on the recent uk blu ray release from a new distributor called - signal one entertainment and the transfer i thought was fantastic,really clear and detailed especially for a movie pushing on for 37 years old now!

definitely worth checking out especially if you like the likes of brian de palma or hitchcock's work (who doesn't),i'm not saying it's on the same level but it reminded me of those type of films!

8/10.

https://youtu.be/708Jq52GfFw - last embrace trailer (1979).

next i've got lined up is the cheerleader comedy - H.O.T.S which is also i've just noticed is from 1979 but unlike the - last embrace i don't think this one is going to have much in common with alfred hitchock! [Big Grin]

[ 05. February 2016, 17:49: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last Embrace looks really good. Janet Margolin was really beautiful.
I remember seeing The End while visiting at my Aunt and Uncle's house, when I was a little girl. All of the adults were hanging out in the kitchen and dining areas drinking, my annoying brother and cousins were in the game room goofing around, and I was in the tv room watching The End! I thought it was hilarious at the time. I don't think I ever saw it again. That was a big deal back then, that my Aunt had HBO!

Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

Crash, I have never been to the Smiling Moose, but I have been to Wicked Witches quite a few times, which is in Harmerville, right before you get into Cheswick. It is a biker bar, but everyone has always been nice and friendly to me, even the bartenders. They also have awesome BBQ in the warmer months!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Margolin looks amazing in that photo. I may have to revisit Last Embrace one of thése days.
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Alcatraz is the most secure prison of its time. It is believed that no one can ever escape from it, until three daring men make a possible successful attempt at escaping from the most infamous prisons in the world."

A great Eastwood flick. McGoohan was excellent as the Warden from hell.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Escape From Alcatraz J2...recently put this on the radar to get on Blu-ray.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

"After a bad gambling bet, a schoolteacher is marooned in a town full of crazy, drunk, violent men who threaten to make him just as crazy, drunk, and violent." (IMDb)

Wake in Fright (1971) is recognised as a seminal film of the Australian New Wave and is regarded by some critics as the greatest Australian film ever made.
Great and wicked film it was indeed. Wake in Fright was directed by Canadian director Ted Kotcheff (First Blood, Weekend at Bernie´s etc.)

Gary Bond and Donald Pleasence are awesome and the supporting cast did also good job.
Lot´s a disturbing behaviour, drinking and other crazy stuff. The kangaroo hunting scene felt bad but that´s what they did in Australia back then.
Highly recommended!

Bond and Pleasence among professional heads or tails gamblers
 -

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

"Burt Reynolds is an attractive middle-aged man who suffers a crisis of confidence when ditched by his ambitious singer wife (Candice Bergen),
until he begins to forge a new new relationship with an equally insecure teacher (Jill Clayburgh).
But when the wife attempts a reconciliation - seduction followed by a truly excruciating song she has composed for him - he realizes where his loyalty lies." (IMDb)

Starting Over (1979) was a decent but a little bit too dry dramedy for my taste.
Director Alan J. Pakula wanted Pacino or Hoffman but Reynolds lobbied hard and got the leading role.

Burt did ok but his character is a bit too average joe here. Bergen looks great but damn she can´t sing [Smile] Of course her bad singing is one of the comedic elements in this one.
Clayburgh has the best character in the film but otherwise she leaves me cold.

Few good lines here and there and check out for very early few second roles from Daniel Stern and Kevin Bacon.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Great write up atomik,I always wondered about this one, I've got it added to my online rental list but it's one that never seems to get sent through.

I'm trying to work out in my head what Reynolds film came next without cheating and looking on imdb [Big Grin]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks warrior.

Watched Ilsa: The She Wolf of the SS (1975) last night.

"Ilsa is an evil Nazi warden at a death camp that conducts "medical experiments". Ilsa's goal is to prove that women can withstand more pain
and suffering than men and therefore should be allowed to fight on the front lines." (IMDb)

Damn this was rude and violent film with loads of nudity but it´s also fun stuff if you don´t take it too seriously.
Dyanne Thorne plays Ilsa and i have to say that this woman is something else [Smile] Naziploitation classic!

-

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Having seen all the Ilsa films, all I can say is that the 70s were great. There is no way anyone could make stuff like that today. I like the immediate sequel--Ilsa, Harem Keeper of the Oil Shieks--even better. It's funnier and better made with stunning production credits: production designer was the late great J. Michael Riva who did Buckaroo Bonzai, Iron Man, and Django Unchained, among many other great films and cinematographer was master Dean Cundey, Carpenter's favorite DP, who went on to do big studio stuff like Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
70s was indeed magical. I´m going to check out Harem Keeper next.
I´ve bought few titles during the recent years but have to say that i´m a novice when it comes to this genre.
Only seen the excellent Salon Kitty before.

This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home