iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2008 -2011) (Page 14)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2008 -2011)
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
And I saw the first "Hatchet" movie a few years back .. it was decent and way gory. I like the 'old school american horror' tagline.. not a fav for me, but worth watching at least once.

I couldn't be bothered to wait until later, so have just finished watching it....

I actually really enjoyed it. I wasn't too sure at the beginning, but it picked up, and like Valley pointed out, is one of the goriest movies I've ever seen.

I was really impressed with most of the death scenes.

It was also cool to see Robert Englund and Tony Todd -- albeit *briefly*.

-  -  - out of 5

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have waxworks on dvd,great movie,a lot of fun,i've always liked deborah foreman and zach galligan .

never seen part 2 though, was it any good?

at the moment i am just in the process of watching 1988 slasher flick hide and go shriek about a group of college kids shut in a furniture store with a cross dressing psychopath,i have it on a dutch dvd,i'm sure it's the uncut version, not seen it for a few year,but think i remember thinking it was pretty decent!

[ 03. October 2011, 15:39: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I was never a huge fan of Friday The 13th the tv series.. maybe if I gave it a chance now I might think differently. Were there any cool episodes with actors we enjoy from some our cherished 80's movies?

And I saw the first "Hatchet" movie a few years back .. it was decent and way gory. I like the 'old school american horror' tagline.. not a fav for me, but worth watching at least once.

Valley, I do not recognize any of the guest actors. I think it is probably due to the show having been filmed in Canada. I think the guest actors are all Canadians, and I have yet to see one I know, with the exception of the guy from Just Shoot Me ( I can't think of his name right now- Enrico something?).
Posts: 2292 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched Blood Song (1982) aka Dream Slayer in the UK.

It was a good horror movie starring Donna Wilkes (Jaws 2, Angel) Frankie Avalon, Richard Jaeckel,
Antoinette Bower, William Kirby Cullen and Dane Clark.

Lots of Halloween influences in this one: mental institution escape, small town during autumn,
pulsating synth score, killer waiting in his van near the schoolyard and hiding behind hedges etc.

Not a bad Halloween flick, check it out guys!

-

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
quote:
I was never a huge fan of Friday The 13th the tv series.. maybe if I gave it a chance now I might think differently. Were there any cool episodes with actors we enjoy from some our cherished 80's movies?

Valley, I do not recognize any of the guest actors. I think it is probably due to the show having been filmed in Canada. I think the guest actors are all Canadians, and I have yet to see one I know, with the exception of the guy from Just Shoot Me ( I can't think of his name right now- Enrico something?).
I'm on episode 4 (A Cup of Time).

A mysterious teacup gives an elderly woman the power of eternal youth -- at a cost.  -

It's an OK series so far. Apparently it gets better midway through the season, so we'll see.

I kinda wish I picked up "The Outer Limits" or "The Twilight Zone" instead.

Day 4

Tonight's Viewing:

-

-  -  -  -  - out of 5

Oct 1st -- Nada
Oct 2nd -- Near Dark (4/5)
Oct 3rd -- Hatchet (2.5/5)
Oct 4th -- The Shining (4.5/5)

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of my favorite threads on the rewind over the years....I love reading all the old posts. October is the best month of the year and Halloween is my fave holiday! Great posts everyone!
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Day 4 Cont: I also watched "The Howling" last night.

Not in the same league as AAWIL, but pretty good nonetheless. The transformation scene was spectacular -- as was Elisabeth Brooks.

-

-  -  - out of 5

Oct 1st -- Nada
Oct 4th -- The Shining (4.5/5) & The Howling (3/5)

[ 05. October 2011, 11:20: Message edited by: J2ME ]

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Day 5:

"Basket Case" for me tonight. This was a blind buy, so I'm hoping it doesn't suck too much.

-

Edit:

-  -  - out of 5

Oct 1st -- Nada
Oct 5th -- Basket Case (2.5/5)

[ 06. October 2011, 06:12: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basket Case may be an acquired taste, but it definitely does NOT suck !
I'm very curious about how it looks on blu-ray though. Apparently Frank Hennenlotter and
Something Weird Video had new source materials to work with, and created a brand new transfer.
I think the extra's are the same as on their special edition dvd from a decade ago.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basket Case and its sequels aren't my favorites of Hennenlotter's films. I love Brain Damage, Bad Biology, and, of course, the inimitable Frankenhooker.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched the 80s version of the Invaders from Mars (1986) last night.
The last time i saw this was in the late 80s.

Definitely not as effective as it was back then but it´s still fun Cannon group horror film for kids.

Directed by Tobe Hooper and featuring a typical b-movie cast.
I still loved the atmosphere, the great settings and old school effects and puppetry.
I also like the score, composed by Christopher Young, very much.

Still entertaining movie if you don´t take it too seriously.

Invaders from Mars (1986) - Theatrical Trailer

-

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just an OK remake. The 1953 original, while obviously not nearly as technically proficient, is still the better film. Tobe Hooper, apart from a couple of episodes of "Nowhere Man," hasn't done anything even halfway decent in over 20 years. A shame...
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Day 6:

-

-  -

Oct 1st -- Nada
Oct 6th -- Sleepaway Camp(2/5)

[ 07. October 2011, 04:42: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna stick my ratings out of 10 for the horrors I've watched each week [Smile]

It! (1967) - 7
Halloween II (2009) - 4
Black Water (2007) - 4
Demon Under Glass - 6
Blood Of The Vampire - 6
Devil Doll (1964) - 9
The Collector (2009) - 2
The Gravedancers - 4
The Ninth Gate - 6
Storm Of The Century - 10
Planet Terror - 8
The City Of The Dead aka Horror Hotel - 9

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the first 2 Basket Case films, hilarious [Big Grin] Gonna watch the 3rd sometime in the next week.
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Helen I just watched Halloween II 2009 this week too.....gotta give it a 4 or less [Wink] it was pretty bad.
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Haha, I wasn't overly keen on the first remake. But it looks so much better to me now after that [Razz]
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't even know Halloween 2 came out. I liked the 2007 original remake.

Is 2 really that bad? It seems hard to believe considering how good the first one was.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
c00g33beach
Rewind Curious
Member # 9387

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for c00g33beach   Email c00g33beach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@j2me - awsomely scary movie for me, i love werewolf movies...not a pinch at all on american werewolf in London though...just a different clss of movie in my opinion...howling is a little freakier but from a cinemaphotography point of view and of course a great werewolf 80s embassador movie for our beloved decade you cant (for certain) and i challenge an argument from anyone...AWWIL is just awsome.
Posts: 7 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
c00g33beach
Rewind Curious
Member # 9387

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for c00g33beach   Email c00g33beach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@atomik - mate you have TASTE BRO!!! Invaders from mars....speechless, just an absolute classic! Kudos to u bro.
Posts: 7 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
c00g33beach
Rewind Curious
Member # 9387

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie_Lomax:
I didn't even know Halloween 2 came out. I liked the 2007 original remake.

Is 2 really that bad? It seems hard to believe considering how good the first one was.

Ditto i had no idea wot so eva about this one...would like honest feedback please as im thinking of renting it via lovefilm
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Howling has got nothing on AWIL.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
coogeebeach is me guys sorry, had major hassles retrieving password etc an no internet again for 4 wks....very grim! hi to everyone tho...valley, atomik, muffy, helen, etc etc etc and a huge how ya doin to Logan my uk buddy
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Aww, what a pain [Frown] Glad to see you back [Smile] Btw I don't think you ever got to see in your thread that I loved Stealing Home http://www.fast-rewind.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/10172.html#000000 [Smile]
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Bernie & oneEyed,

I couldn't agree more!! I enjoyed "The Howling", but it's second best compared to AAWIL. So....

Day 7:

-

-  -  -  - out of 5

Oct 1st -- Nada
Oct 6th -- Sleepaway Camp(2/5)
Oct 7th -- An American Werewolf In London (4/5)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home