iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » does anyone have tattoos?? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: does anyone have tattoos??
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
And the worst are tramp stamps- the girls who have them that live around here are exactly that- tramps.

Maybe they're tramps from there....but that doesn't make them all tramps. I have friends and have dated girls with tats on their backs and they're not tramps at all.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When exactly did they start calling them tramp stamps? I never heard them being called that before. I've heard them called stripper tatoos and I even saw a Jerry Oconnell late night tv appearance where he called them california licence plates.

I think tats these days are going beyond the sterotypes. 20-30 years ago they meant the counter-culture, rebellion, stuff that tough guys had maybe if they were bikers, a real working class thing. The actual art aspect of the thing wasn't really put to the forefront.

I think maybe punk/alternative culture entering into the mainstream has blurred the lines today. You don't have to own a motorbike or play loud, aggresive musice to sport one, as all types have them now. A lot more designs these days compared to the anchor and I love mom design of yesteryear. Books and books of designs out there, I'm sure there are fanatics out there that lament that they only have one body to house 1000's of potential designs.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right Riptide. Back in the day, only bikers, criminals, members of the armed forces and "tramps" had them. These days, it is common and part of everyday culture. It is art and a way to express yourself.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the whole tramp stamp started around the time girls jeans started getting lower and shirts were bellyshirts so when a girl bent over you'd see a flash of her tattoo and underwear haha thats what i always thought!

Sorry but nowadays everyone and their mother has tattoos......(my mom in fact went to Ireland and came back with a big celtic cross on her back two years ago)It's a way to decorate yourself.....a way for people to show things they love a way to feel indiviual.
I'm always for people being who they are and not judging them!

I'm almost more bothered by people who wear clothes and makeup that are out of date.....haha fannypacks, bleached jeans, feathered hair, funky makeup....I think they might be more the "carnie working crowd" then the nice girl with a tattoo placed on her hip! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But...that's exactly why I don't like them...I just think they seem trashy...and honestly I don't have any friends in real life that have a tattoo....aside from my mother...my brother doesn't, and none of my friends do.

I don't care that people do them...I just think they are distracting...and sometimes you can't help but to stare at them....and then people wonder what your looking at, because your trying to figure out what the heck the picture even is.

I don't understand the "symbols" there's tons of symbols that mean a saying....who would know it....so I never understand what kind of statement people want to make by doing that.

I never understand people tattooing someone's name on them....look at how many celebs have done that...ask Johnny Depp about his Winona Ryder tattoo, and see if he's still happy he got it.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"wino forever" Thats what Johnny thinks haha [Wink]
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your respectable tattoo artists usually frown upon getting somebodys name as a tattoo. I'm sure if you say it's the name of your kid or a dead relative it's not a problem but most won't put a boyfriend or girlfriends name on somebodys body.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YourEyesCanBeSoCruel
Master Rewinder
Member # 7480

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for YourEyesCanBeSoCruel   Author's Homepage   Email YourEyesCanBeSoCruel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two so far. My first one was actually paid for by my mom! The day before my 18th birthday I went with my mom, sister, and best friend (non biological sister) and we all got these stars on the back of our necks. We each have three of them and they are of our favourite colours.

The second one is a butterfly that I drew when I had just gotten back from a trip with my mom and we were having dinner at Elias Bros (Big Boy) with my grandmother and my aunt. So it reminds me of some of the most important girls in my life (minus my sister and neice that is)

It also has a nice little bonus meaning...in my car, before it broke down, I would keep Sharpies and have people sign the roof, doors, seats, dashboard, or whatever. I was at Peace Fest and my now boyfriend wrote a little hidden note by the back window that I had to find. It was "If you catch a beautiful butterfly set it free and if it comes back it was truly meant to be"

It was SOOOO cute and many other things happened that weekend that made me realize that he's the one that I had been subconsciounsley looking for.

Oh and I got the butterfly actually tattooed the day before my High School graduation. So I guess I have to wait for another big occasion to get tattooed the day before...

I have at least 7 more that I want to get, I just don't have the money right now. [Frown] sadness

Posts: 133 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YourEyesCanBeSoCruel
Master Rewinder
Member # 7480

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for YourEyesCanBeSoCruel   Author's Homepage   Email YourEyesCanBeSoCruel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't remember the person who said this but it's in the opening few pages of a tattoo book a good friend traded me for some of my Tattoo magazines...

"The only difference between people with tattoos and people without is people with tattoos don't care if you have one or not."

I think that's really true. Not trying to say anything about people who don't like them but to say that it's trashy I think is flat out rude.

It's self expression. It's like the whole "Don't judge a book by it's cover" situation. If you think that tattoos are "trashy" or what have you, you don't look at the person the same.

Would you think it's "trashy" that I want to get a memorial piece done for my grandfather who died of a massive heart attack? How about the one I'm going to get in memory of my uncle who killed himself a few months ago?

Not to sound mean but I think that people should just be more accepting of others decisions. That's one of the major downfalls of mankind. Lack of acceptance.

Posts: 133 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting a partners name in ink is always a risk, people and their lives change and you are stuck with them forever unless you want a skin graft!

I think there's different reasons people get tats, I know quite a few who got friends and relatives names who have passed on inked. It's a personal thing for some people, although I know a few who do it more to show off or even compete with people on who has the most gnarly ink and such. A girl I knew paid almost 2K to get this huge tatoo to cover her back, that's going to be quite a story to tell if she becomes a grandma! I really couldn't justify paying that either.

I;m more partial to the smaller ones of cartoons or flowers on girls like on their ankle or places less obvious. I saw a Betty Boop one someone had that looked cool.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
Well said YourEyes....I have 7 in all and will definitely get more.
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now here's what I am talking about...This is a picture of my cousin...she doesn't care that I posted these pictures...she's a model, an actress, a 4 time world karate champ, and a massage therapist, and owns her own gym, plus she trains the police department in self defense, and numerous other things-she has her own line of fitness tapes...she just did her own calendar...so pictures of her are all over the place...

She placed 4th in the Miss Fitness America pagent....

-

Her body is in such fantastic shape...I can not imagine her actually messing with it...

but here she is for a movie she was in, and this is a fake tattoo- and I think it looks cool ...for a movie, and it washed off:

-

I think you can express yourself...but it doesn't have to be forever...I like the idea of "temporary".

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YourEyesCanBeSoCruel
Master Rewinder
Member # 7480

Member Rated:
Well what can I say 80'sRocked, I'm opiniated. Glad you aree!

Yeah, all the ones I have planned have meaning behind them too. I'm not just one of those people who go into a shop and pick some flash off of the wall and just ask for it in a different colour.

Thanks.

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I am not saying people ARE trashy who get them...or I'd be saying my mother was trashy. I am saying that my own perception of tattoos, is associated with trashy people...like criminals, and carnival workers...and that is because that's exactly how they started out...and now they have become a mainstream thing...I honestly DO NOT care if people want to be the Lizardman...I just can't not understand going through the pain in the name of artistic expression...and I do think it can be a health risk...especially with skin cancer. It absolutely is a personal choice...and personally I don't care if someone else has 50 of them...it's their body...I don't want one on mine.
YourEyesCanBeSoCruel
Master Rewinder
Member # 7480

Member Rated:
Tattoos were around before carnival workers though. The IceMan that was found a couple years ago had tattoos. They've been used for worship, to show the reaching of adulthood, or (like among Samoins) it's passing on family heritage.

I think it's sad that people only think of the negative stigmas asscoiated with things like tattoos. I honestly don't understand it myself...

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
No...I understand the positive stuff, about the expression and all that, and I understand people's need for individualism and honoring someone's memory is really nice. I just have seen people become addicted to them ...it is like once they start they can't stop...I am not sure why either...I just don't want any on me. If I ever decide differently....I'd get "80s Rewind" tattooed on me. [Big Grin]
YourEyesCanBeSoCruel
Master Rewinder
Member # 7480

Member Rated:
I don't understand the addiction either, but once I got my first one I wanted more!

And the pain hasn't really bothered me. I have the one on the back of my neck and the other behind my ear and they only felt hot to me and I could feel my head like vibrating. It's weird but, I Love them myself!

(80's Rewind would have to be on written in the film coming out of an old school film reel. Most definately [Smile] )

80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
I think the pain is actually a good pain....sounds weird if you never had one. Too me, they really don't hurt that much anyway, but I have a very high tolerance of pain to begin with.
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 80'sRocked:
I think the pain is actually a good pain....sounds weird if you never had one. Too me, they really don't hurt that much anyway, but I have a very high tolerance of pain to begin with.

that's how i feel about the pain. it's a good feeling.

but some spots are just killer and take all my strength not to move(center of chest and ankle come to mind).

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have never had a tattoo done after i drank alcohol always had them stone cold sober i figure if i need a drink before i do it then i really don't need it done? i have to get my 3 colored in again before i get my 4th on my ankle that's for sure dee [Cool]
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EleanorJune
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The feet on my upper ribcage hurt. I can withstand pain over a long period of time, but I don;t have much tolerance for intense pain. The ribs burned. Plus I got really puffy afterwards from it. It was the only one that made me bleed too.
| Site Updates: 0 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a dragon on the left side of my back and a skull on my right upper arm. They are addictive I've been thinking about getting one more.....
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go on, you know you wanna.... [Wink]
Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I was watching Comedy Central last night, and Jeff Foxworthy was doing a whole comedy routine
about tattoos, I actually thought he might be pro tattoo, but he shocked me and was saying how stupid he thought they were. He said how they seem real "cute" when you have a nice body and are 20, but in 20 more years when your cute tattoo of a Hummingbird becomes a buzzard, or your dolphin becomes a beluga whale, or your rose becomes Rosie O'donnell with a mouth full of leaves...you may regret it. He said wait until you have grandchildren and they don't want to come visit you because you have a buzzard on your back, and they run out of the room screaming....or how do people tell their children to say no to drugs, with a pot plant tattooed on the side of their neck.

He said he associates tattoos with Sailors and Hell's Angels, and people that use to get tattoos...the artistry was so bad, you couldn't tell what it was...he was making fun of bad tattooing.

It was funny to me, because usually the audience is always laughing really hard at his jokes....they weren't so much on these. But, I thought of the Rewind and this topic, as I listened and I was hoping to track it down on youtube, but I couldn't find it.

I also just read a report on tattoos and how they make detecting melonoma alot harder, the more you have, the bigger they are, and the darker they are...the harder it is to detect skin cancer.

I also just read that HIV can be transmitted through Tattoo needles that aren't cleaned properly.

You can also get Hepititis.

I read that the American Association of Blood Banks requires a 1 year wait for people getting a tattoo to donate blood.

[ 10. November 2008, 12:17: Message edited by: ISIS ]

Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeez louise... I'm now off them for life!! Ha ha only kidding!! Tattoos Rock!!!
Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home