iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » In Memoriam (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  26  27  28   
Author Topic: In Memoriam
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He also did the 1987 horror movie Anguish starring Michael Lerner and Zelda Rubinstein.
I have this one on Anchor Bay dvd, which they released in 2000. Pretty cool stuff !

Posts: 2184 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

It has just been announced Margaret Thatcher died this morning after suffering a stroke at age 87.

I don't know much about British politics, but what i understood is that Thatcher wasn't really a big fan
of any kind of youth-culture, and also played a part in the strict rules of British censorship during the 80's.

So i guess i better keep my opinion to myself and leave it to people from the UK to comment on this one.

Posts: 2184 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I forgot to mop the bathroom!
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
I feel your sorrow. [Big Grin]
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did The Young Ones get past her screening process? [Smile]
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Nigel Wingrove, founder of Redemption Films, wrote an interesting piece about UK censorship
as an introduction to his excellent book The Art Of The Nasty.
The book quickly became outdated though, because it was originally published in 1998, just before
the dvd boom. Movies that had been unavailable for many years were easily available within years
after the book came out. A completely revised and updated version of the book was published in 2009.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

richard brooker who was in my oppinion the best ever jason vorhees (friday the 13th part 3) sadly passed away yesterday at the age of 59,richard was the first actor in the long running horror series to don the infamous hockey mask.

http://youtu.be/yIHGGsH6Las - richard brooker in action in friday the 13th part 3.

-

r.i.p - richard brooker.

[ 10. April 2013, 07:25: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP Andy Johns, famous music producer who worked with the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin.
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/legendary-producer-andy-johns-dead-62-article-1.1312024

Posts: 2298 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -

Richard LeParmentier, best-known for playing admiral Motti in the original Star Wars passed away at the age of 66.
He also played supporting roles in Superman 2 and Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and had been married to
actress Sarah Douglas (Ursa in Superman 1 and 2, and Queen Taramis in Conan The Destroyer).

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As today was Margaret Thatcher's funeral, it's probably a good time for my personal $0.02...

I'm slightly confused that the establishment of the Video Recordings Act has been mentioned above, as if this is something that was a bad thing. Prior to her time as PM, video home movies were barely invented, and nobody needed such legislation. As it was, the immense surge in availability of movie tapes meant that this new industry NEEDED to be legislated, and that's what was done. The banning of a very very small number of movies was decided by the censors, not by the government. And in most cases, rightly so.

In the wider world, Mrs Thatcher did a lot of things that were hailed as brilliant or vilified as heinous, depending on the colour of your vote. She acted as she needed to to retake the Falklands from the invading forces from Argentina, she took on the Trade Unions that had strangled the economy of the country, she allowed social housing tenants the right to buy the home they had lived in for years, and gave people th opportunity to aspire to success if they were prepared to put in the graft - something that just wasn't possible before she came to power.

She stood with Reagan and worked with Gorbachev to end the cold war, and the sight of the Berlin Wall being demolished by millions of joyful German people is an image that will stay with me forever. The result of this is that my kids are growing up in a world far safer than the one I grew up in.

Above all, she did what she thought was right and stood by her convictions - instead of doing what she thought was popular and standing by her spin-doctors.

IMO, we could do with a little of her leadership spirit today...

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Two things :

quote:
Originally posted by P_a_u_l:
The banning of a very very small number of movies was decided by the censors, not by the government. And in most cases, rightly so.

Do you mean the banning of certain movies was justified, or did i misunderstand ?
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
And second :

quote:
The result of this is that my kids are growing up in a world far safer than the one I grew up in.

I honestly doubt this can be true.
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
Two things :

quote:
The banning of a very very small number of movies was decided by the censors, not by the government. And in most cases, rightly so.

Do you mean the banning of certain movies was justified, or did i misunderstand ?
In my opinion, yes - the banning of some movies
is justified, where the material warrants such action.

Just because you can make a movie where the sole purpose appears to be to see how many gratuitous violence scenes of dismemberment and torture can be graphically shown in 90 minutes, doesn't mean that you should. The BBFC have been refusing movies certificates for decades, and this legislation merely extended their powers to the new media of the time.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
And second :

quote:
The result of this is that my kids are growing up in a world far safer than the one I grew up in.

I honestly doubt this can be true.
Doubt all you like, but they are not in danger from nuclear war, as I was, because the leaders of the worlds most powerful nations couldn't sit round a table together. The current issues with terrorism are different, and global 24-7 media places this in our faces so much these days that it appears to be a much more dangerous world than I believe it actually is.

Or are you doubting that this is my opinion, in which case you are, again, wrong.

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would Clint Eastwood say about censorship?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9xpkiHiwwo

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
The censoring of something that's solely created for entertainment purposes (whether it be movies, books or music)
can NEVER, under NO circumstances, be a good thing !

Movies getting banned for none other reason than being distasteful ?? Come on.. personal tastes differ, you know !

I am perfectly capable of deciding myself whether if i want to watch something that's bound to offend or shock.
I don't need any government interfering or deciding for me what i can or can't watch, read, or listen to.

As for those movies 'where the sole purpose appears to be to see how many gratuitous violent scenes
of dismemberment and torture can be graphically shown in 90 minutes' : Such movies do NOT exist !
All of these so-called video nasties actually contain very few scenes of graphic gore and splatter.
In the most extreme cases it would be somewhere around 10 minutes, tops. Most of the banned movies
only had about 1 - 4 minutes of material that was deemed unsuitable for people to watch.
And most surprisingly, many of these scenes were rather cheesy or fake looking, so it's anyone's guess
who could actually feel offended !

On the other issue, Paul and i seem to disagree. I just said i doubt today's world is a safer place for kids
to grow up in than it was 30 years ago. I never said Paul's opinion was wrong.
I just disagreed, whereas Paul seemed to dismiss my opinion as being wrong, for some reason.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
At least i seem to have Clint on my side though ! [Big Grin]
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

My point was that the banning of certain video movies for sale in this country had nothing to do with a clampdown on 'video nasties' - these movies were very likely already refused a license in movie theatres (or in the case of straight-to-video titles, would never get a certificate) and as such were banned due to pre-existing legislation. Whereas the post above seemed to imply that the Video recordings Act (1984) was the cause of the bans - which it wasn't.

However, we will need to disagree whether or not ALL censorship is wrong, or whether some censorship contimues to be justified.

However, this is an In Memoriam thread, and so please, let's get the thread back on track and end this sidebar here.

Thanks

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

As I suggested - let's get this back on track.

Any other discussions about censorship etc are more properly undertaken on the Say Almost Anything thread.....

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul I know censorship has been around for hundreds of years and long before the video recordings act was ever brought in but I just always presumed it was because of the video recordings act and these new guide lines the BBfC had to adhere to that all these so called video nasties were originally banned because it was at about at this time that they all started dissapearing from the shelves.

You are right in my original post I had it in my head and made it sound like it was the government of the time that would of had these films banned but in reality it would have been nothing of the sought,they just passed the bill in the houses of parliament,it would have been the likes of the BBfC that would have deemed these movies not fit for home viewing,silly me I should think a bit more before I put things down as fact.

I've got nothing against Margaret thatcher as such even though reading my original post you'd probably think otherwise,she done somethings I wouldn't have agreed with but she also done many things I would have definitely been behind her with,enabling people to buy there own council house being one.

I'm not a strong believer in censoring material that's aimed at adults but I do believe that we should try and protect our kids from seeing these types of images as best we can.

Anyhow sorry to bring up the topic of censorship again just that I wanted to go some way towards correcting the mistakes I made in my original post.

[ 21. April 2013, 05:25: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Guys, when I said that this thread was off topic, I meant it. All comments after that reauest have now been deleted. This thread is for memories of people that have dies, not an attack on those people or discussions on movie censorship.

No more.

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Guys, if you want a discussion on the rights or wrongs of censorship, start a dediocated thread.

Keep it non-political as well, otherwise I'll need to close it, because political arguments online ALWAYS get out of hand.

Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chrissie Amphlett, frontwoman as well as singer for Australian rock band Divinyls, best known for such songs as "Boys In Town," "Pleasure And Pain" and "I Touch Myself," died yesterday from breast cancer.

She was 53.

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Wow, never saw that coming! She was hot back in the day.
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -

Folksinger Richie Havens passed away at the age of 72 after suffering a stroke.

Havens was the opening act at the legendary Woodstock festival in 1969, and his song Freedom
became one of the best-known anthems for the love-generation.

Richie Havens performing Freedom at Woodstock '69 : www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf1B9ktRCkg

This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  26  27  28   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home