iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » In Memoriam (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  26  27  28   
Author Topic: In Memoriam
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

On december 24th, veteran actor Charles Durning passed away at the respectable age of 89.

Durning mostly played key supporting roles throughout his career. Highlights include The Sting,
Dog Day Afternoon, The Muppet Movie, The Final Countdown, True Confessions, Tootsie, Tough Guys,
and Brenda Starr.
He also teamed up with Burt Reynolds on several occasions including Stick, Sharky's Machine, and
The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas for which he received an Oscar nomination.

Posts: 2186 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice guy who acted in many great films during the 70s and 80s.

You mentioned lots of good ones and i also like him in North Dallas Forty (1979),
Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981) and Tiger´s Tale (1987).

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

On november 23rd, Larry Hagman died due to cancer related complications.
Hagman will forever be known as J.R. Ewing from tv-series Dallas, but also played bit parts in
feature-films such as Mother, Jugs & Speed, The Eagle Has Landed, Superman, and Oliver Stone's Nixon,
as well as countless tv-movies and series for over 6 decades ! Larry Hagman was 81 years old.

Posts: 2186 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the most important actors for me.
I love original Dallas and Hagman still shines in the new Dallas episodes.

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
On january 7th, filmmaker David R. Ellis was found dead in a hotelroom in South-Africa.

Ellis had a long and prolific career in Hollywood where he started out as a stuntman,
quickly moving up the ladder to stunt-coordinator on an incredible amount of 70's, 80's and 90's movies
we all know and love, including Smokey And The Bandit, Hooper, Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers, Taps,
Fast Times At Ridgemont High, The Beastmaster, V (television-series), National Lampoon's Vacation,
Private School, Gorky Park, Scarface, To Live And Die In L.A., Out Of Bounds, The Wraith, Lethal Weapon,
Burglar, Fatal Attraction, Remo Williams, Roadhouse, Misery, Patriot Games, and The Addams Family.. wow !

In more recent years he worked as second-unit director and assisant-director on big Hollywood movies
such as The Negotiator, The Perfect Storm, The Matrix Reloaded, and Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone.
He was also the director of Final Destination 2, The Final Destination (the fourth entry in that series),
and Snakes On A Plane.

The cause of death has yet to be determined. David R. Ellis was 60 years old.

[ 08. January 2013, 08:03: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -

Japanese filmmaker Nagisa Oshima passed away on january 15th at the age of 80.

Oshima was director of the controversial In The Realm Of The Senses (1976), and more familiar
to western audiences as the director of Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (1983).

Reportedly he died of pneumonia.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Heard of this yesterday.
Bought In The Realm Of The Senses/Empire of Passion (1978) 2-disc dvd couple of weeks ago.

Need to watch Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence again sometime soon.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Legendary director Michael Winner (Death Wish movie series etc. ) died yesterday at the age of 77.
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Oh.. for some reason this wasn't in the news here. I'm sad to hear this. [Frown]

The movies he did with Charles Bronson were the movies i grew up with.
I have fond memories of watching them over and over again.

I came across this old photo of a young Michael Winner which i really like.

-

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Excellent films indeed!
Great photo, he really looks like he´s a man on a mission in that one.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
The one thing that frustrates me is that they never did a special edition of Death Wish.
I know there's a UK dvd version of The Sentinel for which he did a commentary,
but i would have loved to hear his thoughts about Death Wish and working with Bronson.
I really think it's a missed opportunity. They should have done a Death Wish special edition
a long time ago. Just imagine how great it would have been to have both Winner as well as Bronson participate.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
There´s a book called Winner Takes All: A Life of Sorts (2005).
There must be few comments about working with Bronson in that one.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Thanks, i didn't know that. I'll keep an eye out for that one.
I do have a book called Bronson's Loose : The Making Of The Death Wish Films, which came out a couple of years back.
I think this book is the closest thing to a retrospective-documentary as we're ever going to get when it comes to
the Death Wish series.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Oh yeah, that book looks cool!
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -

Patty Shepard, star of many Spanish and Italian horror movies passed away earlier this month.
She died of a heart-attack at the age of 67.

Her most memorable role was in the Spanish Werewolf Shadow (see pic above) where she acted alongside Paul Naschy.
She can also been seen in The Stranger And The Gunfighter with Lee Van Cleef, the giallo My Dear Killer,
alongside Bud Spencer and Terence Hill in Watch Out, We're Mad, and in the 80's horror / trash classics
Edge Of The Axe and Slugs.

[ 31. January 2013, 04:30: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -

Cecil Womack (who formed popular hit-duo Womack and Womack with his wife Linda) passed away on february 1st.
Cecil Womack was 65.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -

Hard to believe, but on february 1st it was exactly 25 years ago that Heather O'Rourke,
star of the Poltergeist trilogy, passed away at the age of only 12.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Director Damiano Damiani (Amityville 2) died earlier this month
and legendary XXX star Harry Reems (Deep Throat etc.) passed away last tuesday.

RIP.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
I hadn't heard either of these yet.

I just took a quick look on the internet, and apparently Italian director Damiani was already 90 years old.
Now that's a respectable age. Unfortunately the same can't be said about Reems. He was only 65.
He sure has been an instantly recognizable person in adult features for many, many years.
In more recent years, he didn't have his trademark mustache anymore though. He actually looked
somewhat like Steve Martin lately.

-

Here's Reems as most of us will remember him :

-

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
It is with great sadness that i can add one of my all-time favorite filmmakers here to the In Memorian thread.

-

Jesus Franco Manera, better known as Jess Franco passed away yesterday at the age of 82.
The news is still fresh, but first reports state that he suffered a stroke.

Chris Alexander, the chief-editor of Fangoria magazine wrote the following on the Fangoria website just hours ago :

,..To me, Jess Franco was and remains the most important figure in cinema, a fascinating individual who ate, slept
and breathed movie-making, who lived to point his lens at anything that caught his eye, who was too arty for
the horror crowd and too macabre and lowbrow for the art crowd. He existed in a world of his own, a class of his own,
and he is of the handful of true auteur filmmakers in which the key to understanding and embracing his style,
aesthetic and sensibility lay in viewing and analyzing his entire body of work..'

As for myself, i have been obsessively collecting Jess Franco movies since the 90's,
and those who've frequently read my posts in the 70's section of this site already know about my adoration
for everything that has to do with Franco.

It was only last year that his beloved muse Lina Romay lost her battle against cancer.
After being inseperable for over 40 years, Jess Franco continued making movies, and it was just two weeks ago
that his latest movie premiered in his native Spain.

-

Jess and Lina, after being seperated for just over a year, are together once again..
probably making movies, living the good life, and causing some controversy in the beyond.

Jess Franco, enfant-terrible and true maverick in movie-making history.. may he rest in peace.

[ 02. April 2013, 10:48: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP, Jess. While not one of my favorite filmmakers, you left a large body of work, some great films, and a career that will be debated and analyzed for as along as people talk about movies. How many directors can claim that? Gone but never forgotten.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, today we bid farewell to Jane Henson, who succumbed to cancer after a lengthy battle at age 78. While she'd stepped out of performing with the Muppets by the time the 80s rolled around to raise their children, her importance with Jim's body of work cannot be understated, as she was his very first performing partner back in the 50s and 60s.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just read on the IMDb that long-standing film critic Roger Ebert has died as a result of complications of cancer.

He was 70. R.I.P. [Frown]

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -

Spanish filmmaker Bigas Luna passed away last weekend after losing his battle against cancer. He was 67.

Both Penélope Cruz as well as Javier Bardem started their careers in Luna's critically acclaimed Jamón, Jamón (1992).

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, sad news.
I watched Jamón, Jamón couple of months ago.
Nice and steamy film, a must see for Penélope Cruz fans.

I´m going to watch Luna´s ´81 movie Reborn next weekend.

This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  26  27  28   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home