iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 15)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
harry2
Master Rewinder
Member # 7645

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for harry2   Email harry2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asylum. An Amicus portmanteau of four stories linked to a young doctor applying for work at a remote English asylum. Richard Todd, Peter Cushing, Herbert Lom and Robert Powell amongst others. 7/10.
Posts: 136 | From: The Royal County | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They Call Me Mister Tibbs! (1970)

The sequel to the Oscar-winning In the Heat of the Night takes a slightly different approach opting to drop most of the socially-charged racial politics and proceed as a (largely) straight-forward gritty cop drama. Unfortunately without the social relevancy of the original or the exciting action of contemporaries like Bullitt or Dirty Harry, it winds up feeling pretty lackluster. Even the murder mystery which the story revolves around feels anti-climactic. Sidney Poitier is in fine form, however, and his strong central performance is enough to salvage the film. Worth a look, but not in the same league as the original.

Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cat o' Nine Tails (1971)

- The second Dario Argento movie.
A good murder mystery but not quite as good as the debut The Bird with the Crystal Plumage.
Starring James Franciscus, Karl Malden and Catherine Spaak.
Nice theme by Ennio Morricone.

-

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a huge fan of Dario Argento's work and love Cat o' Nine Tails. Besides that and The Bird with the Crystal Plummage which you already mentioned, he also made two other terrific Hitchockian thrillers in the '70s: Four Flies on Grey Velvet and Deep Red. And in 1977 he made arguably his best - and my personal favorite - film, Suspiria.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alien (1979) -- The Directors Cut Edition

-

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved Alien. I think aliens (part 2) was the best of the series though.

What do you think?

- jdocster

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can never make up my mind about that. Every time I watch either Alien or Aliens, I think that it was the best in the series.

What did you think about Alien III and Resurrection?

I actually liked III -- the setting, story and additional characters, made for a great film. It gets a lot of flak, but I don't think it deserves it.

Resurrection on the other hand, was ****e. I actually saw this at the cinema with some friends where it came out, and at the time I enjoyed it. After seeing it again recently, it was easily the worst in the series.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
Yeah, it's a tough call between Alien and Aliens. The first one gets points for originality, but the second has more action. I think I'd give the edge to Aliens.

I agree with you about Alien 3 - I think it's unfairly maligned. And actually after watching the extended edition which attempts (as best they can) to restore David Fincher's original director's cut, I gained an even greater appreciation for it.

Ressurrection is just plain bad. The story is silly and they didn't even try to maintain any continuity with the first three. Jean-Pierre Jeunet disavowed the established cinematography and Alien "look" and just made it look like one of his films instead. And Winona Ryder is embarassingly out of place. On the other hand, it's still nowhere near as bad as either of the AVP movies.

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
The AVP movies are the biggest anti-climax in cinema history. {Slight Exaggeration [Big Grin] } How could anybody screw that up :/

I preferred the first one, but, yeah it was still bad.

Did you ever play the AVP games? I use to play both of them on-line. A 3rd one is being developed at the moment -- It looks promising.

journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
All they had to do with the AVP movies is follow Ridley Scott's backstory on the ship from the first film. Instead they went with the Alien Olympics premise - dumb move.
harry2
Master Rewinder
Member # 7645

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for harry2   Email harry2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frenzy. Hitch's penultimate film. Brilliant depiction of early 70's London scene with a great cast. Jon Finch, Barry "Van Der Valk" Foster, Bernard Cribbins and a host of British talent.
Posts: 136 | From: The Royal County | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silver Streak (1976)

- I liked this a lot.
Damn that lavatory scene is hilarious [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu1TZVX72Aw

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
ATomiK, have you seen See No Evil, Hear No Evil? If you enjoyed Silver Streak you should definitely it check out. I think it's Wilder & Pryor's best pairing. Stir Crazy is pretty good too.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, i saw See No Evil, Hear No Evil back in the day.
It was a good one but Stir Crazy is the best IMO.

JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOW TO KILL A JUDGE-1974... great italian thriller with Franco Nero.

THE HEROIN BUSTERS-1977... classic italian action flick by Enzo G. Castelarri.

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Yeah, i saw See No Evil, Hear No Evil back in the day.
It was a good one but Stir Crazy is the best IMO.

There's also Another You, but I never really cared for it.
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meatballs 1979... Classic!
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Island Of Terror (1966) - Great Cushing film. A doctor's trials to cure cancer backfire into these horrid creatures that kill and then suck out the bones from the bodies of people and animals. They're seemingly unkillable and are multiplying every 6 hours. What to do, what to do  -

Demons Of The Mind (1972) - Most confusing Hammer, but bloody good all the same [Big Grin]

The Oblong Box (1969) - Another classic Vinnie Price film based on a Poe story. Christopher Lee in this one too [Smile]

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Cars That Ate Paris - Mad Aussie horror. It's about a little town of crazies killing off and scrounging from anyone who tries to enter  -

And then there's this:

-  -

Terrible film but good for a laugh at least.

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I remember the car from an old video magazine.
I doubt that i´ve ever seen the flick though...

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Freaks (1932) - About a group of sideshow performers who get a most gruesome revenge on a horrid trapeze artist muahaha. Good film.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Shivers - One of my fave Cronenberg films.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Brood - The best one of his films I think. Wonderfully creepy with a fabulous ending [Big Grin]
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Nice to see another Cronenberg fan!
  This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home