iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 100)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  97  98  99  100  101  102  103  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
White Heat is a favorite of mine, Helen. Cagney's fantastic, and the screenplay is excellent and, for its day, pretty twisted. (How about that weird mother-complex?) "Made it, Ma, top of the world!" Classic ending.

The scene where he finds out about her shouldn't of but made me giggle!
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, when he decompensates and freaks out. Cagney was a heckuva great actor.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
Johnny Rourke, that Werner Herzog Collection caught my eye! I need this! Going to ask the hubby to get it for my birthday, which is September 21, along with a new pair of Dr. Martin's boots

Pitts, the one i own is the UK box-set from the British Film Institute released in 2014.
Around the same time though, there was also a US Herzog collection box-set released by Shout Factory.
They're not the same though. Most (or probably all) of the more familiar titles are included in both sets,
but there are also many notable differences between the two. I remember i did some research before deciding
which box i should buy. It's not that one is better than the other. I think they're both equally impressive.
Eventually i picked up the UK BFI box, simply because it was cheaper.

Here are two videos which may help you a bit..

The BFI set : www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwRsNBDZKrM

The Shout Factory set : www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzObNJN_eIs

I have to admit the folks at Shout Factory did put a little more effort into their packaging.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Masque of the Red Death (1964) - This gets better everytime I see it! One of Vincent Price's best performances. It looks beautiful and is incredibly moody. I want to go to there!
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Jaguar Lives! (1979)

"Spanish-American action film directed by Ernest Pintoff and starring Joe Lewis, Christopher Lee, Donald Pleasence and Barbara Bach.
Its plot follows a secret agent who battles an international drugs ring." (Wiki)

This was a decent crime flick with few martial arts fights. Lewis didn´t have enough charisma to be action star but he has some nice moves though.
Our hero visits at least ten countries while he tries to find out the mysterious Esteban, the leader of the drug cartel.

Lots of Bond movie veterans in this one and we can also see John Huston and Woody Strode as Jaguar´s sensei.

The Arrow dvd includes cool Joe Lewis interview made in 2006. He died two years later.

Lunch Wagon is still easily the best Pintoff film i´ve seen [Smile]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Johnny Rourke, thanks for that info! 😊
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Beware My Brethren - Strange film. Had some murders, a weird mother and son relationship and Patrick Magee as the leader of a nutty religious group.

-

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw that for the first time about a year ago. It's got a sleazy kind of atmosphere, doesn't it?

I also saw a really obscure zombie romance--a rom-zom, perhaps? LOL--called Neither the Sea Nor the Sand around the same time. It was slow and weird. Kind of like a Harlequin romance paperback--with a zombie. ROFL

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Hahaha, do want [Big Grin]
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an interesting story..

There was this horror movie i watched on BBC television sometime in the late 90s, which i couldn't remember the name of.
I clearly do remember what it was about, plus that it had a fair amount of nudity and psychedelic images.
Didn't know which actors / actresses were in it, didn't know who the director was, only that it was made roughly
between 1967 and 1974 most likely, judging from the things i did remember. Basically it was just a vague memory.

Enter Helen's Beware My Brethren post from day before yesterday..

I know this movie was released as The Fiend on dvd in the UK.. never seen it though, so i went looking on the Imdb.
I noticed it was directed by Robert Hartford-Davis, whom i know of because he also did Corruption (1968),
which has been released on blu-ray on the Grindhouse Releasing label back in 2013.
I also found out this was the same guy who made School For Unclaimed Girls (1969), which was released on UK dvd
earlier this year under its alternate title Girls Of Shame (and somehow managed to stay under my radar).

But going through his directorial film credits i noticed he also did Incense For The Damned aka Bloodsuckers (1970),
which -as it turned out- is in fact the movie i vaguely remembered watching on the BBC all those years ago !

Another mystery solved.. so thank you, Helen ! [Smile]

[ 13. September 2016, 05:57: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Haha, love it! I have Bloodsuckers. Didn't really like it but no doubt I'll give it another go someday [Smile]
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Bloodsuckers is a half-completed mess, but it does have nudity and psychadelia. [Smile]
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Bloodsuckers is a half-completed mess, but it does have nudity and psychadelia. [Smile]
SOLD!

quote:
Another mystery solved.. so thank you, Helen ! [Smile]
I no longer say 'thank heaven', I just say 'thank Helen'. People always understand.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 -

I just watched a nice short supernatural film starring Christopher Lee, Cross-Roads (1955)

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ghost In The Invisible Bikini (1966)

Very dated, very cheesy 'beach' movie from AIP, starring a bunch of people you've never heard of, and - strangely enough - Boris Karloff, Basil Rathbone and Nancy Sinatra.

I can't quite work out if this falls into 'so bad it's good' territory. Certainly I enjoyed it more than I expected to, even with all it's very obvious flaws. The story follows the efforts of a recently deceased showman and his muse (the titular ghost in the bikini) as they attempt to deliver a good deed by ensuring the showman's estate is correctly shared amongst his benefactors and isn't stolen by his shyster lawyer. The will reading happens in an old manor house, onto which a hoard of teenage hipsters and a thieving motorcycle gang descend to add to the mayhem.

The performances varied from 'over the top' to 'wildly over the top' and the scenery had hints of Adam West's Batman about them. However, despite the hipsters' habit of bursting into song whenever they had the chance, it was fun, fast paced, and packed with sixties cheese.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I've always liked the AIP beach party films, Paul. They are just so quaint--"square" even--and time-capsule pieces of their era. They were all entertaining, though this one is the weakest of the series--and there's no beach in sight. Harvey Lembeck, who always had pretty good comic timing as Eric von Zipper, and his gang are like low-rent Three Stooges. And in addition to Nancy Sinatra, the girls, AIP regulars like Deborah Walley, Susan Hart Nicholson, and Quinn O'Hara, are simply gorgeous. The auburn-tressed Walley--RIP--was a favorite of mine. She was the quintessential "girl next door." And AIP got extra mileage out of that sawmill buzzsaw. I forget which earlier beach party movie it was also featured in.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Blob (1958) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK5jyVCdXwc That is all! [Big Grin]
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
The Blob was filmed in a small town in Eastern Pennsylvania. Every year they have a festival celebrating the film.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Haha, love that!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talking about The Blob films, i would love to get this one. November release from Umbrella Entertainment.
It also includes Son of Blob. Larry Hagman rules! [Smile]

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I'm thinkng that this upcoming Bluray actually has the 1988 remake directed by Chuck Russell instead of Son of Blob a/k/a Beware! The Blob directed by Larry Hagman.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
They say that it includes all three but Son of Blob is only SD.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the Chuck Russell 1988 version,never seen the original or the Son Of Blob but that is some package there that I'm quite tempted in picking it up.

Don't dislike the art that they've used either but I must say I do love the different random artworks that were originally used for the 88 remake!

-

The cool artwork used for the 1988 original Uk home video release.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Oh wow! That's super cool. I remember seeing Son of Blob many, many years ago--too many to be precise--in 1974 on the late, great CBS Late Movie. It has its moments. Actually, the original The Blob is an underrated, cool little slice of 50's sci-fi with a young Steve McQueen. The sequel Beware! The Blob (as I know it) is better than people give it credit for. It has some funny moments. And while I certainly admire the craftsmanship of the 1988 remake--and I know it has a lot of fans--I think that it's just okay. The original is actually more entertaining.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Corman film The Arena (1974) which was directed by Steve Carver and Joe D´Amato.

"Female gladiators fight to the death. Inspired by the story of Spartacus, follow the adventures of a bevy of slave girls who,
upon finding themselves thrust into the gladiator ring, mount a vicious rebellion to fight their way to freedom." (IMDb)

This was a very low-budget film shot in Italy. The plot in itself is pretty interesting but they haven´t created much around it.
I love the two stars Pam Grier and Margaret Markov and they do what they can here including their own stunts.

All in all, a bit disappointing feature and not nearly as good as Black Mama White Mama but if you are a fan of the two female actresses mentioned you might still enjoy it.

This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  97  98  99  100  101  102  103  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home