iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » anything modern horror. (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: anything modern horror.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Very impressed with this 2014 found footage horror from first time director David Jung,not sure what budget it was put together on but the effects and the performances especially from Shane Johnson as the possessed Michael king are first rate and it's got a really creepy vibe at times that is totally missing from the latest (what i'd imagine are bigger budgeted) paranormal activity theatrical releases!

-

Not normally a fan of these found footage pov horrors but this has none of that annoying shaky cam that can often be found in earlier efforts and though it definitely has a few faults - over loud jump scares for one I had to turn my speakers way down as I thought they were going to blow up at one point - because he's possessed Michael has a habit of screaming in an incredibly high pitched voice [Big Grin] - there's definitely more than enough here to keep most horror fans entertained for its ridiculously short run time of 83 minutes!

-

7.5/10 - great little possession flick with plenty of atmosphere.

https://youtu.be/dbUMYgKIvik - the possession of Michael king trailer.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
 -

https://youtu.be/9ePIZugahFc - cruel summer I had a feeling it was that track that featured in - the final girls,a great song!

All I see is Daniel on his bike the minute that starts ha!

Aww, too bad about Final Girls Atomik.

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Set way in the future, Earth is no longer inhabitable, so humans have colonized in outer space. One colony receives two cryogenically frozen bodies, and when they defrost them,
one of the bodies turns out to be.....who else? Jason Voorhees. No longer in the forest or Camp Crystal Lake, Jason stalks the colonists in a whole new environment." (IMDb)

Last friday was friday the 13th so i watched Jason X (2001) for the first time.
Pretty good production values in this one but the excitement level is zero and i didn´t like the characters nor the cast.
Once again they kill the cutest girl first (Kristi Angus) so for the rest of the film i rooted for the android Kay-Em (Lisa Ryder).
She kicked Jason´s butt pretty nicely [Big Grin]
Few decent ideas here but really guys, Jason in space [Roll Eyes] I´ll watch parts 1-6 a hundred times before i revisit this one.

Kay-Em in action
 -

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to hate that one but find it to be such a ball now [Big Grin] [Razz]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe with few beers... Hey, i forgot to mention that Cronenberg was in it [Smile]
Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The series really started to go downhill for me from part 8 onwards,not sure between - Jason takes Manhattan,Jason goes to hell and Jason x which I think is the worse.

I watched the remake at the theatres and though it's not really comparable to the original parts one through to seven i definitely preferred it to what came after in that series!

Jason takes Manhattan,Jason goes to hell,Jason in space,these could all belong over in Bernie's thread for ideas for ridiculous sequels,that's if they hadn't already been made that is [Big Grin]

[ 16. November 2015, 17:05: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Goes to Hell is by far the worst for me!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Crazy horror comedy starring elijah wood as a school teacher fending off hordes of flesh eating zombie school children who have become infected after eating contaminated chicken nuggets.

Really daft,a bit too much so in places this still manages to be quite a fun horror comedy with some solid laughs throughout and a few real gross out moments especially the opening credits which reminded me a bit of the 1980's horror - slaughterhouse which featured the opening titles sequence with the pigs being slaughtered where as here its chickens instead!

Far from perfect but still good fun 7/10.

https://youtu.be/S8xQLN181kY - cooties trailer.

I've actually seen a few modern horrors lately I've not put up on here,when I get chance in between battling the flu,work and Christmas shopping I will do so [Big Grin]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

This was pretty decent,in fact I'd say it was rather good its a 2015 haunted house horror starring female horror icon Barbara crampton of reanimator fame and its about a grieving couple who have just lost there son in a car accident who move into a desolate country house in a very wintry and cold looking new York state.

-

But Little do they know that the previous residents who were wronged by the local townsfolk still haunt the place and that as legend goes these vengeful spirits rise from the cellar every 30 years demanding a human sacrifice - and the bad news is that current 30 years is now up!

Cool little horror flick this that builds up slowly with the odd bump in the night moment before really letting loose in the last 20 minutes or so which features some really outrageous gore effects!

-

Very atmospheric and definitely worthy of a watch,it's another good new horror and one thing I will say about this year - 2015 - is that in general from the horrors that I've watched is that i definitely think they seem to be raising there game a bit!

https://youtu.be/FDJbCMvv9IU - we are still here trailer.

With this year nearly over here are
My favourite horror releases of the year -

-

Late phases - blind vietnam vet takes on werewolf

-

The possession of Michael king - creepy found footage horror.

-

Housebound - really fun kiwi haunted house horror

-

Howl - another cool little werewolf flick with the difference being here is that it's British.

[ 28. December 2015, 15:06: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched It Follows (2014) and it was a pretty atmospheric teen horror flick.

"A young woman is followed by an unknown supernatural force after getting involved in a sexual encounter." (IMDb)

The relatively young cast did ok, although i would´ve liked to see more hysteria in their actions.
Writer/director David Robert Mitchell definitely has some skill. I also liked the early 80s style minimalistic synth soundtrack very much.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Yeah I didn't dislike - it follows,the music score definitely added greatly to the atmosphere,I like the scenes near the beginning where she's just mellowing out in her pool with the cool synth score playing in the background,the scene with that big creepy guy was pretty freaky!

[ 04. February 2016, 00:12: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Human Centipede 2 - I rewatched the first film recently and still believe that it is an utterly bonkers, but well made horror/black comedy. I don't give a **** what anyone thinks. This however was a for the most part boring and then vile for the sake of vile piece of trash. The disgust you get from the first film is mainly just from your own head and the descriptions the Doctor gives rather than what you actually see on the screen. Unlike this. Less is definitely more here. There was a couple of humourous moments and the black and white was nice. That's about as much positivity that I can conjure up for this.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I've never seen any of them Helen but they reckon part 3 is unbearably bad,it even stars Eric Roberts so its got to be bad considering the amount of rubbish that he stars in of late,sounds like the series has most definitely run its course!
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just suffered through the third installment, and it was one of the worst movie experiences that I've had in a long time. It was just an in-your-face, obvious attempt to be smug and self-indulgent, especially when director Tom Six shows up as himself, and the other cast members describe him as a genius. And then there's Dieter Lazer who screams every line that he has at the top of his lungs. It is the worst, most exhausting performance of all time.

The first two installments had their moments--and despite what people say, Six is not an untalented filmmaker--but this one was utterly worthless in every way.

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
despite what people say, Six is not an untalented filmmaker

And he's Dutch too ! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Unfortunately the masochist in me will have to complete the series at some point [Frown]
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - [Confused] [Big Grin]

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000616/ - the human centipede 3's - Eric Roberts has got to be the busiest actor on the planet,he's already signed up to do about 30 films for 2016,pity there all probably going to suck!

-

[ 07. February 2016, 10:40: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
I need to get me one of those lunchboxes LOL
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric Roberts has two scenes in Centipede 3, and he looks completely clueless, like he accidentally wandered onto the set, and someone said, "Hey, you're Eric Roberts. Wanna make a quick $1,000? Here, put on this cowboy hat. You are the Governor. When this loud German guy yells, just say, 'I'm going to shut this prison down.' Here's your check." ROFL
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
This guy was so great in - star 80,the coca cola kid and runaway train and I know he's been doing direct to video movies now for quite sometime but while at first some of them were still half way decent nowadays the majority of them are just horrendous.

You can easily tell he's a long way past caring,like you said crash he just takes his money and runs!

[ 08. February 2016, 06:13: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mickey Rourke says it all : www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-VAz-4x9hc

,..Eric Robets is the f*cking man !..' [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
i always thought that They were great together in - the pope of Greenwich village,could you imagine being out partying with the likes of mickey Rourke and Eric Roberts as I'd reckon it sure would make for one pretty crazy drunken night!

I reckon afterwards you'd probably feel hungover for about a week [Big Grin]

-

This was none too bad the 2012 horror/thriller - the possession about a divorced father who when caring for his 2 daughters one weekend decides to stop at a yard sale which they happen to spot whilst driving by and one of the items that they purchase is an antique wooden box which happens to have Hebrew inscriptions on the top and the sides,unbeknownst to them the Hebrew words are actually spelling out a warning as to never open the box as it contains a very evil spirit!

This was pretty good I thought and for a pg - 13 (15 rating here in the uk) rated horror it was nowhere near as tame as what I had feared,there's some good effects work here as well along with some strong performances and a fairly gripping plot line - I liked it 7/10.

https://youtu.be/0gBeG31fX40 - the possession (2012) trailer.

[ 10. February 2016, 14:58: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Another year another - purge!

https://youtu.be/RXMp9fBomJw - the purge - election year trailer.

I wonder how long this series is set to run?

[ 10. February 2016, 15:21: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Warrior noooo, The Possession was dreadful [Eek!]
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
Warrior noooo, The Possession was dreadful [Eek!]

No I stick by my guns Helen,I didn't dislike it and have certainly seen much worse especially where pg - 13 rated horror is concerned.

Put it this way I wouldn't buy it but i found it to be perfectly watchable for 90 minutes or so!

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home