iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » anything modern horror. (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: anything modern horror.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
 -

i've never come across these before - wacky wobblers bobble head horror figures such as freddy krueger,michael myers and jason vorhees.

anyone out there ever seen these or better still own one?

https://youtu.be/dtMH5MQZADU - unboxing freddy krueger bobble head.

-

imagine having these stood in the rear of your car it would give the following driver nightmares [Big Grin]

yeah atomik i reckon they've more or less nailed it with the look,they look pretty sinister
and like you say that's how they should really look.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

i thought this was pretty decent overall - clown from 2014 starring peter stormare,laura allen,eli roth and andy powers who gives a really good performance as kent a loving husband and father who turns into a child eating demonic clown after putting on a possesed clown outfit he finds in one of the properties that he has currently up on the market(he's a property salesman).

-

this has some pretty inventive moments throughout as well as its fair share of grim and gory scenes plus some rather dark natured themes of the possesed clown stalking and preying on the local towns youngsters,the legend has it that the possesed wearer of the suit must eat 5 children before he or she is released from the grip of the demon (so basically once the clown suit is worn you become part of it and it can not be removed until the curse is broken).

i just looked up its running time which was 100 minutes and it seemed to fly by,it's definitely entertaining enough i'd say for most people to overlook the odd flaw it has here and there,at about the hour mark though i did notice a bit of a shift in tone,it got dafter all of a sudden but not to the point where it went completely overboard.

also i thought the finale was pretty well staged,it takes place in a kids play centre of all places which then led onto a short but tense final showdown at the families home.

so overall i'd say definitely worth checking out for all horror lovers out there and if you've got a bit of a fear towards clowns in general then this one will probably really get under your skin.

https://youtu.be/zOgUsUFhphk - clown (2014) trailer.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

this 2014 horror comedy - cooties looks pretty bonkers,about a school who's infected chicken nuggets turn the kids into a bunch of flesh eating savages.

stars elijah wood.

https://youtu.be/QUuKNEcddPg - cooties trailer.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

i wonder what this is going to be like,new brit werewolf film - howl about a group of passengers on a late night train journey on the night of a full moon that are attacked by a pack of werewolfs.

stars ed speleers,holly weston and a has a well known face in sean pertwee who starred in another well regarded brit horror wolf flick - dog soldiers.

i think this looks none to bad!

https://youtu.be/dHm8t9fCxeY - trailer for the 2015 brit horror - howl.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Over the past month I've watched a couple of modern horrors -

-

I watched ouija a 2014 horror which was nothing over spectacular but as pg-13 horrors go none to bad either.

Definitely not as fun as say the 80s witchboard films but if you happen to chance upon it on say satellite TV or perhaps a cheap rental I'd say yeah check it out.

I've seen a lot worse!

-

Also the other week watched this low budget 2008 horror - the echo about an ex convict just out of the slammer who goes to stay in his recently deceased mother's old apartment and keeps hearing sounds of voices within the walls and witnessing a violent domestic argument between his neighbours next door.

When he finally intervenes all is not what it seems.

Pretty good low budget horror which for the most part moves at a bit of a snail's pace but never looses your interest and perks up for the last half hour or so and makes for a pretty creepy and satisfying finale.

Not overly gory or anything but there's probably just about enough here to warrant its r rating or 15 certificate as it is rated here in the UK,a few jump scares,a little blood etc you know the score

Actually tell a lie thinking about it there is a couple of scenes that are a bit cringy in this one,both concerning mishaps with fingers which I remember made me grimace so yeah I would say it deserves an r rating.

So again like ouija it's nothing that's going to blow you away but the same again if you happen to chance upon on it on TV or a chance of a rental you could do a lot worse.

I'd probably rate ouija a 6.5/10
And the echo a 7/10.

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Deliver Us from Evil (2014) and liked it very much.

"New York police officer Ralph Sarchie investigates a series of crimes. He joins forces with an unconventional priest,
schooled in the rites of exorcism, to combat the possessions that are terrorizing their city." (IMDb)

Exorcism, cool and rainy New York scenery, nice effects and pretty solid dialog.
Erica Bana and Edgar Ramirez were great and Olivia Munn veery pretty [Wink] Bruckheimer still delivers!

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

anyone looking forward to the upcoming - ash vs evil dead series?

https://youtu.be/unnLg1TPCYM - ash vs evil dead series trailer.

i enjoyed deliver us from evil,thought it was really well shot,have you seen the 2014 horror - clown yet atomik as i think that's an above average modern horror.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

https://youtu.be/SQxX8B-RjKY - a christmas horror story trailer.

the trailer doesn't do a whole lot for me and it definitely looks pretty bonkers but this low budget 2015 horror - a christmas horror story which features a cameo from william shatner is picking up some seriously good reviews -

http://www.haddonfieldhorror.com/2015/07/movie-review-christmas-horror-story.html

http://www.playbackstl.com/fest-reviews/14092-fifth-report--fantasia-2015

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2015/08/film4-frightfest-2015-review-a-christmas-horror-story-2015.html

-

all i can say is who the hell thinks up these storylines [Big Grin]

this could actually be pretty good fun i reckon!

[ 06. September 2015, 08:21: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

https://youtu.be/SSDOxlVYZiw - Charlie's farm trailer.

A few modern horrors that I've seen of late that get my recommendation - Charlie's farm an Aussie outback horror with a pretty cool cast that despite a slow build up (50 mins - 1hr before big old Charlie goes on his rampage) is never boring and the final half hour or so is relentless.

Some really cool kills in this one and the 6 foot 11 Nathan Jones (mad Max fury road) makes for a very intimidating killer in Charlie!

Well worth checking out.

As is

-

https://youtu.be/lxCoFMje3YY - the last showing trailer.

I saw this a little while back actually but it's only from 2014 - the last showing starring Robert England as a multiplex film projectionist who when unwittingly made redundant from his job snaps and starts murdering some of his fellow cinema employees before deciding to make a horror movie of his very own with which he is given a perfect opportunity when the cinema screens a late night showing of "the hills have eyes 2 (1984) of all films and he traps a courting couple inside where he proceeds to stalk them while filming it all on his hand held cam.

Despite the slightly mixed reviews this one received I quite enjoyed this one and it was great to see the legendary Robert England back in a more major role as he gets quite a bit of screentime here as opposed to some of his smaller cameo's in other horrors of late!

-

Filmed so I believe at the vue in Cheshire oaks so I'd imagine that must have been pretty cool for local residents especially if anyone got to see Freddy Krueger in the flesh!

Also of note - the town that dreaded sundown (2014) a pretty brutal sequel/remake of the 1976 original with a really great atmosphere it would make it a cool one for Halloween if you've not yet checked it out it and it is well worth doing so -

And the fantasy horror horns (2013) which I thought was really good fun and don't be put off if your not a big fan of Daniel Radcliffe as he's nothing like he was in the harry potter franchise that's for sure.

As directed by Alexandre aja of hills have eyes remake and piranha 3d remake it's a lot more adult in content!

Again well worth a watch.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

I love Halloween themed movies and I think this looks like it could be a lot of fun featuring 10 Halloween tales of horror from an assortment of directors including lucky mckee and featuring cameo's from John Landis,Lin shaye,Adrienne barbeau,Mick garris,John savage,Caroline Williams,barbara crampton,stuart gordon,robert rusler and Joe Dante.

I liked trick r treat from a few years back and this sort of gives off a similar vibe!

https://youtu.be/C2tA1e8UAZ4 - tales of Halloween trailer.

-

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That picture is gorgeous!!!
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone familiar with the movie The Final Girls (2015) ?
(not to be confused with the Abigail Breslin movie Final Girl, also from 2015)

I had never heard of it, but i accidentally came across the trailer on Youtube, and it actually made me laugh.

Well, i'm not really sure if this kinda thing stays funny for 90 minutes or so, but the trailer is worth a look.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zreNh78kTjg

For those interested, there's a UK dvd release planned for next month.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I like the look of that one johnny,I had neard of it before but had never checked out the trailer,looks a lot of fun!

The pg - 13 rating is a bit of a bummer (15 cert in the UK) but I still reckon it will be a good laugh at the very least.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

i wonder if this will live up to director michael dougherty's earlier horror hit - trick r treat,i found that to be really enjoyable!

opens in the uk on the 4th december 2015 the same day as it opens in the us where as some countries get it a week later unless your france who get to check it out first on november 25th 2015.

https://youtu.be/h6cVyoMH4QE krampus official trailer.

-

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

it's another demonic possesion film but this is getting quite a bit of positive feedback and that is 2014's - the taking of deborah logan which came out sometime ago stateside - 21st october 2014 but has yet to show up on these (u.k) shores.

https://youtu.be/uRZPHQ2eXgY the taking of deborah logan.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

anybody take there lunch to work in one of these?

- the friday the 13th lunchbox -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lunch-Box-Friday-Movie-Licensed/dp/B00TTX5T64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442316226&sr=8-1&keywords=friday+the+13th+lunch+box

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Final Girls trailer was awesome, thanks for the info Johnny. Scandi blu-ray release november 9th.

warrior, i´m definitely going to check out Tales of Halloween and Krampus.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched the recently released Scream Factory blu-ray of The Editor (2014).. but didn't like it. [Frown]

Advertised as an hommage to the Italian giallo, it turned out to be more of a parody.. or even worse : mockery !

Nah, i don't like that. Sure there are some stylish visual touches and the music is pretty decent too,
but to be honest, i'd rather prefer to watch the worst of the real giallo movies than to spend 95 minutes
watching how one of my favorite genres is being ridiculed.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh, I'll stay away from that.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
The Final Girls scandi blu-ray cover art:

-

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
The Final Girls is getting some pretty good reviews.. so it may indeed be worth checking this one out !
According to the reviews, Sony has come up with a rock-solid presentation as well.

www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/69770/final-girls-the/

www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Final-Girls-Blu-ray/141195/#Review

Surprisingly, the same Sony disc has also been announced here in Holland with a january 13th release date. [Smile]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Cool! Just yesterday pre-ordered the blu.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched The Final Girls (2015) last night.

"When Max (Taissa Farmiga) and her friends reluctantly attend a tribute screening of an infamous '80s slasher film that starred Max's late mother (Malin Akerman),
they are accidentally sucked into the silver screen. They soon realize they are trapped inside the cult classic movie and must team up with the fictional and ill-fated "Camp Bloodbath" counselors,
including Max's mom as the shy scream queen, to battle the film's machete-wielding, masked killer. With the body count rising in scene after iconic scene, who will be THE FINAL GIRLS left standing and live to escape this film?" (IMDb)

Damn, i wanted this to be a modern masterpiece. But it just isn´t. Lots of good ideas in this horror comedy but there´s too much family drama here and the fact that it´s a PG -13 film just doesn´t help.
It´s was going to be a R -rated New Line release but then Sony got it and they wanted to make it softer...

The acting is pretty solid and the film definitely has it´s moments but how can you spoof 80s slasher genre and not have any boobs or gory on-screen kills? You can´t. There´s also two pretty ugly cgi scenes in the film.
The soundtrack is good, you can hear classic tunes from Kim Carnes, Toni Basil, Bananarama, Warrant and Wang Chung in the film.
Overall, it is a pretty decent film and might get better second time around with lower expectations but right now it feels like The Final Girls could and should have been so much more than it is.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Trust sony to pg -13 it,CGI scenes [Eek!] ,soundtrack sounds great though and I'll still probably check it out but it does sort of sound like a bit of a missed opportunity!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

https://youtu.be/9ePIZugahFc - cruel summer I had a feeling it was that track that featured in - the final girls,a great song!

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home