iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » anything modern horror. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: anything modern horror.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
Yes, May is in my collection too, as well as The Toolbox Murders remake. It's been a while since i've seen May though.

I have yet to see Lucky McKee's All Cheerleaders Die (2013).. i wonder if it's as good as his other horrors.

-

Has anyone seen it ?

I've not seen it johnny but I've heard very mixed things about it,the video vacuum web site had it amongst there worst of the year.

So approach with caution!

That's one film johnny by the director lucky McKee that I thought was really good and that was red starring Brian cox,it's not a horror,more of a thriller .

That's well worth a watch.

[ 18. March 2015, 15:21: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red is soooo good [Big Grin]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

this irish horror movie - the canal which was filmed in and around dublin has been getting some pretty rave reviews.

saw this first advertised nearly a year ago so it's taking its time coming out to home video.

https://youtu.be/OZja9Hoq1jg - the canal trailer (which must be one of these redband restricted trailers because it seems a bit to hardcore to be a standand trailer).

it looks pretty trippy!

red is really good helen,johnny you need to check it out if you haven't already,definitely worth it!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest, i haven't seen Red. I think i need to find myself a copy a.s.a.p. ! [Big Grin]

Never heard of The Canal before, but it sure looks like something i would be eager to check out at some point.
I recognized the girl from Kelly + Victor in the trailer though.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Wrong Turn 6 ; Last Resort (2014)

probably the only movie i've ever seen with a death-by-enema-inflicted-by-firehose scene..

Hey, a movie with a scene like THAT, can't be all bad ! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I've heard of death by stereo with the the lost boys,but death by enema that's a new one on me.

I don't think even the frog brothers would stoop that low!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

anybody looking forward to the upcoming horror sequel - sinister 2 .

https://youtu.be/fChx_YZUAR0 - sinister 2 trailer.

got to admit even though i didn't dislike the first i wasn't blown away by it as many people were,it was the ending,something about it really bugged me,i thought it was pretty weak.

still as modern horrors go it was certainly above average!

i'll probably give the sequel a go when it hits home rental.

-

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

saw the trailer for joe dante's latest horror comedy the other day - burying the ex,got to say i think it looks a bit of a stinker!

https://youtu.be/WjwvcCbw7ao - burying the ex trailer.

from piranha,the howling and gremlins to this,dear oh dear!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happened to Joe Dante? I saw his last film, the long-delayed The Hole, and while no masterpiece, it was a cool little film giving hope that Dante was going to make a comeback. This thing is straight to video-on-demand in the U.S. in a couple of months. And I agree, it doesn't really look like it has anything going on.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Burying the Ex looks pretty bad indeed. I own The Hole but haven´t checked that one yet.
How many of these genre legends do good stuff these days, not many... Most of them are just dead silent.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh The Hole was meh. By far the best thing about it was D ick Miller's 2 seconds.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I am a little too forgiving, Helen, but for what was intended to be a kids' film, The Hole is pretty well made and subversive. In any event, it's so much better than Dante's previous effort, Trapped Ashes, the little-seen anthology film. Have you seen it? Despite having stories directed by Dante, Sean Cunningham, Ken Russell, and Monte Hellman, it is one of the most listless Amicus wannabes that I have ever seen. Dante directed the wrap-around sequences about the haunted movie studio (groan) starring Henry Gibson as a tour guide. A friend of mine who saw it at the Toronto International Film Festival way back in 2006 (It wasn't released in the U.S. until 2008) had the best possible two-word review of it: "Trapped a**es." ROFL
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
[Smile] Nope, haven't seen that one.

I watched The Dead (2010) the other day. Definitely one of the better zombie films I've seen!

I'm going to see Stonehearst Asylum on Monday. It's based on a Poe story [Smile] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rawTSQ1RKQ0

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the movie Wrong Turn. All the sequels were rubbish but I find this one pretty good.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Ugh, I couldn't make Stonehearst and now it's already off the pictures. I bet they'll have that hideous looking Unfriended playing for weeks.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
That stonehearst asylum looks pretty decent Helen,I saw the trailer for it a little while back,I wouldn't mind checking it out,unfriended on the other hand looks pretty naff,it just reminds me of one of the never ending paranormal activity sequels.

Talking of paranormal activity I'm sure I saw another one of them is in the pipeline.

God help us!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Wrong turn is pretty decent Bernie,part 2 I didn't dislike either but it wasn't up to the original.

It was part 3 that killed it for me with some of the worse CGI effects and amateurish acting I can remember.

Unlike johnny I've not been brave enough to venture past part 3,I can't believe they've already got to number 6.

There must be an audience out there for these then,Surely it's not just johnny on his own who is watching them. [Big Grin]

[ 04. May 2015, 15:12: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Actually johnny you sitting thru all the wrong turn sequels is nearly as hardcore as atomik sitting thru all the howling sequels.

All I can say is you've got a lot of guts!

[ 04. May 2015, 15:11: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
 -

i thought after.life was a not to bad horror/mystery,though i did have to watch the trailer again to jog my memory a bit.

my wife said she can recollect it quite well,she gave it the thumbs up.

2009 this came out,i'm starting to think either a lot of these modern horrors are actually none to memorable,or it's either that or i'm suffering from short term memory loss!

I thought After.Life was very good! It was interesting to watch. I'm not usually a fan of 'Modern Horror' but this film was actually very good.
Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

watched the 2014 horror flick - late phases earlier on tonight and enjoyed it immensely,great acting from the lead nick damici as the bind vietnam veteran who moves into a retirement home where the elderly residents are being picked off every full moon by you guessed it - a werewolf.

anyone going into this thinking it's going to be 90 minutes of all out werewolf action will probably be slightly dissapointed,it's got a deliberate slow paced build up and it pays dividends in my oppinion as it makes for quite a tense finale.

-

the werewolf effects are mostly pratical and to be honest you can easily tell at times it's someone in a suit but i much prefer it this way to an over abundance of cgi.

the wolfs in general though do look pretty nifty and have a much altered appearance from what we have seen before,i can't think of another werewolf movie at this present moment that i can really compare them to,they certainly look different.

-
what a great actor - nick damici

this was a blind buy for me,i picked it up on dvd for just under 5 pounds and i definitely consider it money well spent,i've not long got through watching it actually and i'm now looking forward to watching it again.

so that gives you some idea of how much i enjoyed it.

highly recommended.

https://youtu.be/EJgXfzSYehk - late phases trailer.

-

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Slow build, mostly practical effects. Sold [Smile]
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

i've never come across these before - wacky wobblers bobble head horror figures such as freddy krueger,michael myers and jason vorhees.

anyone out there ever seen these or better still own one?

https://youtu.be/dtMH5MQZADU - unboxing freddy krueger bobble head.

-

imagine having these stood in the rear of your car it would give the following driver nightmares [Big Grin]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

I've just had this come thru as a rental 2011 horror absentia.

has anyone checked this one out before

If so what did you think,was it any good ?

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Absentia is pretty decent.

Cool bobbleheads [Smile]

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love how they made the bobbleheads look real nasty. The way these killers should be [Cool]
Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home