iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 95)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  92  93  94  95  96  97  98  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never knew 'nunsploitation' was a thing...
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we can blame Ken Russell's The Devils (1971) for that.

-

It may not have been the first, but The Devils certainly spawned a whole breed of low-budget rip-offs,
some rather restraint while others pulled out all the stops.

During a certain period in time, the idea of sinful nuns leading a life of debauchery behind convent walls,
proved to be very profitable for exploitation film producers.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alucarda is my favourite!
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I have Alucard on DVD from quite a few years ago.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched and really enjoyed The Iron Rose. Crazy cow. Although to be fair it was so beautiful I wouldn't want to leave there either! [Razz]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)

Sublime comedy proving that elderly spinsters are not all sweetness and light...

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
Just watched and really enjoyed The Iron Rose. Crazy cow. Although to be fair it was so beautiful I wouldn't want to leave there either! [Smile]

Filth. Pure filth. Krooditee and nooditee.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Who wouldn't want to amongst a load of bones lol
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Just watched Night of the Big Heat (1967) for the first time in years. Sooo good.
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's a pretty good little sci-if flick.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Master Of The World

Year: 1961
Director: William Witney
Stars: Vincent Price, Charles Bronson, Henry Hull, Mary Webster, Richard Harrison

An idealistic pacifist and inventor Robur determines to beat nations into non-aggression, by threatening their destruction from on high if they don’t immediately disarm.

An interesting and definitely stylised film set in the 1860s, it’s pretty much 20,000 Leagues ABOVE The Sea, with Price wonderfully sinister and captivating in the role of Robur / Nemo. In his flying machine, he plans a utopian world below, where any desire or capability for war is beaten out of the nations by the fear of his awesome firepower. Things come unstuck for him when he abducts a group of Americans who discover his plans: an arms manufacturer, his daughter, her fiance (a bit of a hot-headed idealist himself) and a US Government agent. Whilst being held so that they do not reveal any of Robur’s plan, they slowly plot to prevent the emasculation or destruction of the world.

Price is the main draw here, of course, but Bronson is good as Strock, the US agent whose intent is to prevent Robur carrying out his violent plans. The rest of the cast are OK in an early sixties b-movie way, and the scenery and effects can most generously be described as ‘stock’. They certainly didn’t extend much in the way of budget, and indeed there’s a definite feel of Adam West’s Batman movie about the scenery and costumes.

It’s fun and inoffensive enough, but a definite 'rainy Sunday afternoon' movie, nothing more.

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
 -

Busting (1974)

Excellent 70s cop story starring Elliot Gould, and Robert Blake, with supporting roles from Antonio Fargas,
Sid Haig, and Michael Lerner. Stylishly directed by Peter Hyams (with lots of cool tracking shots).

Busting is actually an early example of the buddy cop genre, which Hyams revisited a decade later
with Running Scared (1986).

Very 70s, but uber-cool ! [Cool]

Check out the trailer : www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS0TVO_8JNw

Well, it took awhile but i finally watched Busting and yeah, it was a good film.
Gould and Blake in fine form and i liked the cynical tone. Crime pays! [Cool]
Nice chase scenes, good score from Billy Goldenberg and i really would like to visit the Electra club!

Another cool Busting poster:

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched Don't Go In The House from 1979 (though some sites have it down as being 1980,from what I gather it was made 79 released early 80) this is a pretty grim but quite well made horror about a guy named Donny who works at a large incinerator plant who one day while at work witnesses his friend getting badly burnt in an accident,latter that day he returns home to his sick but cruel and very domineering mother to find that she has suddenly passed away,in flashback we then learn as a youngster his mother as a punishment would hold Donny's arms out over the kitchen stove where he would get badly burnt!

Donny who already has a few marbles missing by now then totally loses it and decides to exact some sort of twisted revenge on the local townswomen and builds himself a fire proof room within his house where he can then barbecue his unlucky female victims!

This movie was one the infamous 80s video nasties that got pulled from the rental store shelves back in the day here in the UK and i can easily tell which scene upset the censors so much it was the first kill where he chains the female florist to a ceiling hook in his fire proof room and then dowses her with petrol and proceeds to burn her alive with his flame thrower,even to this day it's quite a disturbing scene and makes for fairly gruesome viewing!

The thing about a lot of these 70s horrors such as Last House On The Left,Don't Go In The House,etc. is that for most part there more or less played dead straight and with next to no humour (unless you find the bumbling cops in Last House On The Left funny that is) and i find that it makes for a lot more realistic and generally unpleasant movie viewing experience!

Overall then a good low budget shocker this with some fairly decent performances apart from that is the guy who played the priest as his performance was truly dire and it's no wonder that this was his only ever acting credit!

https://youtu.be/FxMXbOPByE4 - Don't Go In The House trailer (1979/80).

And now for something completely different as next up i'm going to watch the athletics drama Across The Track (1990) starring Brad Pitt and Rick Schroder,never seen it before.

anyone know if it's any good?

[ 27. May 2016, 17:21: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven´t seen Don´t Go in the House but sure would like to. Across the Tracks in a decent sports drama.
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Slumber Party ´57 (1976)

"Six schoolgirls find themselves without their parents. Moreover their basket ball team are traveling. As they are at a loss what to do,
they organize a slumber party during which each of them will tell about her first experience of sex. (IMdb)

Pretty goofy t&a film from William A. Levey who made the totally bonkers Wham! Bam! Thank You, Spaceman!
This was Debra Winger´s film debut and yes, she goes topless too [Wink]

-

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Don't Go in the House is memorable for that one scene, which is incredibly grim. Obviously it created problems in the UK, where the Board of Censorship is very concerned about "sexually sadistic violence." Several years ago, they banned a Japanese gore film called Grotesque, which is just wall-to-wall sexually sadistic violence. It's one of the few films that I've seen that I can call completely worthless. You hit the nail on the head about 70s horror, YW. Except for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which is the rarest of the rare--a film that uses humor to heighten the suspense--they played it dead straight. That coupled with the grainy cinematography and grimy locations made them more realistic. Today's product is way too slick looking. The Saw series comes to mind as a classic example. The gore set pieces show up for the fanboys and girls who get into the special effects. They stop the movie cold. The death-by-immolation scene in Don't Go in the House or the atrocities of Last House on the Left are part of the overall disturbing ambiance.

[ 28. May 2016, 21:26: Message edited by: Crash ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say I'm pretty hardcore when It comes to horror but watching Craven's original Last House On The Left all those years back I think it's the only movie that's ever made me feel slightly queasy, I can actually remember looking over to my wife and saying to her "this is sick" though we did continue to watch [Big Grin]

It is a well made movie but it's so grim and grimy it's unreal,i can see why it rubbed up so many people the wrong way upon its original release back in 72.

I've got the original and the remake of Last House on my shelfs but have not revisited either since,it's a bit like Star 80 another film that I own,it's not that there not well made movies or anything it's just that there so goddamned depressing to watch!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Where Has Poor Mickey Gone? (1964) - Oh my, what a really odd film. And the ending was incredible, a mix of [Eek!] and [Big Grin]
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I feel exactly the same way about Last House. It's not a movie that I revisit a lot, about once a decade really. As I've said before on here, I think that it's a historically important horror film but certainly very depressing. The remake I thought was one of the better horror remakes. It's well acted and depressing too.

Star80 has phenomenal acting by Eric Roberts and Mariel Hemmingway, but it's a terrible date night movie. LOL

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I watched the remake at the theatres,it was a Midnight showing with all of about a dozen people,came away impressed and though not carrying quite the same level of shock as the original it still packs a hefty punch and certainly makes for uncomfortable viewing!

As remakes go I agree it's a cut above and is nothing like the disaster that the remake of Craven's 80s horror classic A Nightmare On Elm Street was!

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Late last night i was ready to go to bed, but turned out Mr. Majestyk was on AMC (formerly the MGM movie channel) again.
I think i already mentioned Mr. Majestyk at least twice somewhere else in this thread.. and yes, i did watch it again ! [Big Grin]

I don't know exactly how many times i've seen it before, but i still enjoy watching Mr. Majestyk time and time again.

Bronson rocks, but Al Lettieri (who sadly passed away in 1975) steals the show as the narcissistic psychopathic bad guy.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I used always watch Mr Majestyk when it aired on the box,not seen it in years though and it is one of the few Bronson's that I don't own, I know it's not long been released on Blu Ray here in the UK by Signal One Entertainment.

I wouldn't mind picking it up as it's meant to be a pretty solid release!

[ 30. May 2016, 16:43: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
I was thinking about getting that Signal One release as well, even though i've seen the movie numerous times
throughout the years and already own a dvd version. But it's always fun to have some decent extra's for a movie
you're really familiar with.

Currently i still don't own any of Signal One's blu-rays, but i included Black Widow in my latest order,
so that will be here pretty soon i hope, and i will definitely get their Seven-Ups release next month,
which will be loaded with extra's : www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=19012

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
That The Seven-Ups release Johnny looks awesome,been wanting to watch that for an age,i've had it added to my on line rental list for ages the dvd that is but have never been sent it!

I'll probably pick up the Blu upon its release,love Scheider he's seriously cool!

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

1941 (1979)
 -

Interesting little Spielberg movie with plenty of slapstick, loads of cameos and some brilliant set pieces. It's set in California less than a week after Pearl Harbour, and the skittishness of the locals and the superior pomposity and pre-battle naivety of the fresh-faced US troops is challenged when a Japanese sub surfaces offshore and plans an attack...

Feels more like a John Landis or Robert Zemekis film in style and humour, and opens wonderfully with a parody of the start of Jaws - also Spielberg of course - using the same actress swimming naked out to sea and suddenly realising that she's not alone in the water....

Nice touch.

This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  92  93  94  95  96  97  98  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home