iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 84)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Interesting film this one, i´ve been wondering if i should get it. Sounds good enough.

hanover street is not to bad atomik,moves at a pretty slow pace for 2/3rds of the movie but is never uniteresting and the cast are always watchable plus the scenes of war torn london look fairly convincing.

great music score as well,i'd say if you see it going cheap enough to grab it!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Bernie, noooo [Frown]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean by that Helen? Are you a fan?
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I watched it the other month for the first time in many years and found it incredibly tense!
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps because you had seen it before, you were able to tap into that feeling of when you first saw it? For me, the tense factor was not there. It was a little bit but not to the thriller extent. I thought the movie was alright but I thought it would have been better.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
Yeah, I watched it the other month for the first time in many years and found it incredibly tense!

That's because you knew how cruddy 1970's tech was and that the computers couldn't do squat, so you genuinely feared for their lives!

"Fake wood paneling and flares aren't helping us! What can we do?!"

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Classic! I wondered if they actually gassed those animals. The monkeys and the rats genuinely looked like they died. Otherwise the Rhesus monkey should have got an Academy award for most realistic death in a motion picture.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Oh my haha
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Don´s Party (1976)

"The movie Dons Party is about a wild house party in a suburban Australian neighbourhood. Don Henderson convinces his wife to have another party
so that their friends can gather to watch the election, drink and carry on. Dons wife, Kath sees the party as just more work, while Don sees it as a chance to break his boring routine.
The year is 1969 and some of Dons friends have jumped on the bandwagon of sexual freedom and experimentation.
However, others at the party are more conservative about their politics and sex, and naturally, arguments break out over politics and fist fights erupt over the seduction of others wives." (IMDb)

Now this was a great movie!
Written by David Williamson (adapted from his own play) and directed by Bruce Beresford.
Great cast, superfunny dialogue plus lots of booze, politics, nudity and disturbing behavior. Loved it [Smile]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't think I've ever heard of don's party before atomik but I like the sound of it,I'll have to look out for it.

Never seen it but it sounds a bit like serial from 1980 with its free love anything goes ways!

Has anyone seen serial from 1980 with Christopher Lee,it's one I've always wanted to watch but have never got around to seeing,if so any good?

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Serial vhs tape and it´s indeed another good one! I´m sure that i reviewed the film here few years ago but can´t find it anymore...
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Logan's Run

Wonderful vision of how badly broken the 1970's view of the future could become...

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have seen Serial but its been awhile. Im thinking it wasnt bad. Has Martin Mull in it which is a plus.
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grease. It's a sci-fi musical (flying cars, etc).
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_68/eaten_alive_blu-ray.htm - check out these screenshots for arrow films upcoming blu ray release of tobe hooper's - eaten alive (1977) ,talk about a vast improvement.

always quite enjoyed this one but found my us dvd to have pretty substandard picture quality so this new arrow blu ray release will be well worth the upgrade.

any eaten alive fans out there?

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Don't Look In The Basement - Utterly dreadful film set in an asylum but God it was entertaining. Hilarious to see they made a sequel to this last year.

The Devil's Daughter (1973) - A decent enough occult horror. I don't know why she was so hesitant to embrace her Princess of Darkness title [Razz]

Dead of Night aka Deathdream (1972) - This was about a guy who is killed in the war but then returns home that night. It was soooo good.

Castle Sinister (1948) - This looked like one of those films where they have taken parts of a silent film and added new talking scenes. It kinda worked. Was short and sweet.

The Night Caller (1965) - A nice little alien film. John Saxon was so young here, he looked like a Thunderbird!

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_68/eaten_alive_blu-ray.htm - check out these screenshots for arrow films upcoming blu ray release of tobe hooper's - eaten alive (1977) ,talk about a vast improvement.

always quite enjoyed this one but found my us dvd to have pretty substandard picture quality so this new arrow blu ray release will be well worth the upgrade.

any eaten alive fans out there?

Oh yeah, i love this one even better than Texas Chain Saw Massacre. It's so surreal and very strong on atmosphere.

Very impressed by the improvement in video-quality. Defenitely gonna pick this up !

I already have Eaten Alive on two different dvds : The Elite Entertainment disc and the Dark Sky release.
To be honest, i think the older Elite disc has better video-quality, even though it's non-anamorphic.

Talking about Elite Entertainment.. I still hang on to their Evil Dead dvd (which was released as far back as 1999).
The transfer for the Elite disc was taken from the original 16mm film, while all subsequent releases
(Anchor Bay's Book Of The Dead edition, Anchor Bay's Ultimate 3 disc edition, and eventually Sony's blu-ray)
were all from a 35mm blow-up, which looks much, MUCH darker and fairly heavy on grain.
Elite's dvd on the other hand, is full-screen and razor-sharp !

-

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
Dead of Night aka Deathdream (1972) - This was about a guy who is killed in the war but then returns home that night. It was soooo good.

Classic stuff indeed ! Very powerful final 15 minutes or so !
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Wasn't it Johnny. So sad!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched Let´s Do It Again (1975) the other night.

"Clyde Williams and Billy Foster are a couple of blue-collar workers in Atlanta who have promised to raise funds for their fraternal order, the Brothers and Sisters of Shaka.
However, their method for raising the money involves travelling to New Orleans and rigging a boxing match. Using hypnotism, they turn the scrawny underdog into a super-confident fighting machine.
They bet heavily on him, he wins easily, and they return to Atlanta with their money. All is fine until the gangsters conned by these two figure out what happened show up in Atlanta with a grudge.
Now Williams and Foster have to rig the fight again so the gangsters can get their money back or they'll be killed. Can they do it again...?" (IMDb)

It was a decent flick and maybe i expected a bit too much because Stir Crazy it ain´t.
This was the second film pairing of Poitier and Cosby following Uptown Saturday Night (1974), and followed by A Piece of the Action (1977). Would like to see these also.
Cosby and Poitier do some crazy things and the overall feel is very light.
Coming to America stars Calvin Lockhart and John Amos co-star and i also liked Ossie Davis and funny Jimmie Walker too. Pretty Denise Nicholas was Cosby´s wife.
Not a comedy masterpiece but not bad either.

Billy and Clyde meet Biggie Smalls
 -

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Night Visitor (1971) - A raving nutter escapes 100 feet down an asylum wall everynight in his knickers in the snow to exact his revenge. I am so glad I forgot the ending to this, it was exhilarating!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:

Talking about Elite Entertainment.. I still hang on to their Evil Dead dvd (which was released as far back as 1999).
The transfer for the Elite disc was taken from the original 16mm film, while all subsequent releases
(Anchor Bay's Book Of The Dead edition, Anchor Bay's Ultimate 3 disc edition, and eventually Sony's blu-ray)
were all from a 35mm blow-up, which looks much, MUCH darker and fairly heavy on grain.
Elite's dvd on the other hand, is full-screen and razor-sharp !

-

Yeah johnny I've got a couple of elite discs,the one for the 1984 toxic waste zombie flick - mutant aka night shadows I thought was really good as it's quite a dark film anyway and I thought it looked a vast improvement over any version I'd seen previously.

Saying that the previous versions I watched were the original vhs and then a budget release from Hollywood DVD but it did look a lot better.

I can't believe how good arrow have got the pq for - eaten alive,looks vastly improved!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Just been notified my next online rental being sent to me is the blu ray for 1959s - the hound of the baskervilles starring peter Cushing and Christopher Lee,never seen it before so looking forward to checking it out!

Any fans out there?

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
YES [Big Grin]
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best version of Hound of the Baskervilles ever. An excellent Hammer Film.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home