iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » An Unmarried Woman 1978 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: An Unmarried Woman 1978
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha yeah Paul two hours lost.........you have little girls so i'm sure you watch lots of cartoons and such........it could be a good break...:)plus "stand in breasts" and a sexually experimental divorcee!

I just liked it is all.......and I wanted to voice it and talk about it haha

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder - is *stand in breasts* a job description or an activity?

[Eek!] [Big Grin]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really thought it was her standing there and not "stand in breasts" but I also wasn't checking them out haha
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by P.S. It's Paul....:
After all, the worst that can happen is that I lose 2 hours of my life, right?

2 hours 4 minutes, to be exact.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished watching this. While I don't think it is a cinematic masterpiece, it did represent the late 1970's very well. The acting was great, the NY background was great, wardrobe was great. Like 80'sRocked said, it was good at points, but slowed down in other parts. I prefer Jill Clayburgh to Diane Keaton. They were always compared in the 70's and early 80's. Diane Keaton's "routine" has been the same forever- act like a neurotic, flighty woman and flail the arms and hands around . She does it to this day. Jill Clayburgh seemed to be a bit more serious of an actress. Anyhoo, this was a good movie to watch if you want to see life in NY in the late 70's through the eyes of a still wealthy woman, her ex husband, her cute child and her zany friends. My favorite character was Erica's friend Elaine played by Kelly Bishop. I also liked Alan Bates as the new boyfriend.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find so many of the then groundbreaking and topical subjects that feature heavily in films like this incredibly dated and hard to watch now. However, Hollywood filmmaking was never better than in the 70's and so many of these movies exude a kind of cinematic quality that is often missing from modern films. And yes, New York in the 70's was absolutely fantastic. A city crumbling from within but oozing character.

I agree about Keaton too, while I still like her she's always been Annie Hall. Then again Woody Allen has always been Woody - not that anyone ever pretended he was a great actor. I have a soft spot for Clayburgh - especially for Silver Streak.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill Clayburgh did some fine work in the 1970s. Her daughter, Lilly Rabe, who looks just like a younger version of Mom, is fantastic on American Horror story. She got Mom's acting ability too.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crash, I watched the first 4 seasons of American Horror Story. I did not know, until earlier today , before even checking in here (I was checking out Jill Clayburgh's IMDb page) that Lily Rabe is Clayburgh's daughter! Every time I'd see her onscreen, I'd think "she looks so familiar, what have I seen her in before AHS?" Now it clicks! She looks like her Mother!
Logan, I am total agreement. I have been trying to catch some classic 70's flicks off and on over the past few years. Also early 80's, as I feel some movies still had the late 70's feel. I still have yet to see Only When I Laugh in its entirety. It was in TCM about 6 months ago, and I watched a little bit over my lunch hour, but they never aired it again!

Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Logan, I am total agreement. I have been trying to catch some classic 70's flicks off and on over the past few years. Also early 80's, as I feel some movies still had the late 70's feel. I still have yet to see Only When I Laugh in its entirety.
Early 80's are also great. I am a Neil Simon junkie, and even though many of his films feel like plays (which they often are), and much of the dialogue is snappy 'sparring' - I still love them. Only When I Laugh is good (I think Mason got a nom for it?) as is Chapter Two.

This is a VHS copy download link. It's not great quality, but it's better than nothing:

https://1fichier.com/?0gjae9age6

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

Thanks Logan!
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen "An Unmarried Woman" a couple of times over the years; the first time was in the 200X's - i.e., long after it came out. Excellent film, and a real time capsule of late '70's NYC. The city may as well have been another character in the film.

This film seems to be a fairly accurate depiction of the changing sexual mores & attitudes in the '70's (that started in the late '60's)....I.e., more couples were divorcing by that time & as such divorced people (especially women) didn't have the stigma that they did in previous decades.

The late Jill Clayburgh was truly gorgeous in the '70's - she also looked fantastic in the film "Silver Streak" (w/Gene Wilder & Richard Pryor, 1976).

For some reason, the final scene with JC walking down the crowded street past those two guys walking with the painting really sticks in my mind...

Over the years I always thought it would be cool to live in NYC at some point, but have never done so - the expense has a lot to do with this - going along with this, getting a good enough job to afford living there would be tough.

[ 04. October 2016, 17:33: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home