iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Halloween Scary Movie Thread 2010 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Halloween Scary Movie Thread 2010
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night I took TNUC suggestion as well as remenbered Veronica mentioning it.. so I watched "The Burning"..

-

I highly recommend "The Burning" for horror flick fans and especially those that enjoy the Friday The 13th franchise. Actually, if "The Burning" had been release first to a mainstream audience it might be better known today.

The cast makes this movie worth finding in my opinion. Though annoying it was great to see Brian Backer (Fast Times) and Jason Alexander (Seinfield) in early roles. Oh and don't blink, but that was Holly Hunter in a small role. I was never a huge Fisher Stevens fan, but you will find him here too.

But let's get down to what makes this movie infamous.. there is plenty of gore and one scene (don't want to give it away) that is legendary for horror fans.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Day 4.. From Beyond

-

"From Beyond" centers around a pair of scientists attempting to stimulate the pineal gland with a device called The Resonator. An unforeseen result of their experiments is the ability to perceive creatures from another dimension that proceed to drag the lead scientist into their world, who later returns as a grotesque shape-changing monster and preys upon the others at the laboratory.

I finally got my paws on the uncut version of Stuart Gordon's "From Beyond".. I had heard about it years ago, but it wasn't until I saw "The Re-Animator" on late night cable recently that it reminded of this flick. I've seen the 'R' rated version a couple of times and I can't imagine the gore getting much worse.. but bring it!

-

Scream queen Barbara Crampton is terrific in this movie.. and Jeffrey Combs has had quite the career, but I actually remember him best from from the Heather Thomas flick "Cyclone".

-

But the acting isn't the main reason to watch "From Beyond".. it is the special effects and make-up that are horror awesome. Sitting somewhere right in between hideously grotesque and artistically gorgeous, the special effects in "From Beyond" are some of the most well conceived and constructed for a b-movie.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished watching Fright Night and am aiming for part 2 tommorow.....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Day 5 .. Dark Mansions

The 1986 made for tv movie "Dark Mansions" is a contemporary gothic drama about Shellane Victor (Linda Purl) a young woman hired to write the family history of a shipbuilding dynasty. It isn't long before she finds supernatural forces at work upon moving into the clan's compound on a lonely, windswept bluff near Seattle.

Ms. Victor soon meets the scheming Jessica Drake (Lois Chiles) and the ambitious Phillip Drake (Paul Shenar). Noelle Drake (Melissa Sue Anderson) and other young Drakes wander in and out. Noelle is the most interesting of the Drakes.  Noelle is blind, apparently from psychosomatic causes. She is also something of a seer, visited by strange powers.

Overall, this is quite an entertaining movie for being made almost like a late night soap. Worth watching if you get the opportunity.

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Day 6 .. Cat People (1982)

-

Irena (Nastassja Kinski) and Paul (Malcolm McDowell) star as siblings with a secret in this remake of the 1942 film.  The secret is explained during the movie through a dream sequence that's almost like an 80's music video. It takes place out in the red desert, where Irena meets Paul, who tells her the story. Their ancestors sacrificed children to leopards. He says, "The souls of the children grew inside the leopards until the leopards became human." They can only make love to their own, or else they transform to leopards and then must kill before they can become human again...

"Cat People" is just bizarrely cool in my opinion.

Booger
Master Rewinder
Member # 4569

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Booger   Email Booger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished watching Chopping Mall for the first time. Wow! That mall sure had a lot of combustibles. LOL! It was formulaic and followed the "horror movie rules" but I liked it. My favorite line from the film: Rick: "Let's send these ****ers a Rambo-gram." Haha!!

Up next...I'm not sure. I'd like to see some different ones this season that I haven't previously seen. Perhaps Slaughther High, Night of the Creeps, The Gate--or some of the ones I haven't seen in a while like Fright Night, Motel Hell, or Mother's Day.

Of course everything will culminate on Oct 31st with the original Halloween. I used to like to watch a horror film every night during the month of October but I rarely have time for that any longer. So I'll probably only see around 10 horror flicks this month.

Posts: 115 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Very cool that you watched "Chopping Mall" for the first time!

From your list.. you know that I'm gonna totally recommend "Night of the Creeps". Such a great flick .. I'm saving it until closer to Halloween though.

Watching the original "Halloween" on Halloween night is a must!

Booger
Master Rewinder
Member # 4569

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Booger   Email Booger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Very cool that you watched "Chopping Mall" for the first time!

From your list.. you know that I'm gonna totally recommend "Night of the Creeps". Such a great flick .. I'm saving it until closer to Halloween though.

Watching the original "Halloween" on Halloween night is a must!

Chopping Mall was quite entertaining. I love 80s Horror. Too bad they didn't follow it up with a sequel.

In my opinion, the best horror and comedy films came out of the 80s. Of course most people here probably feel the same way too...that's why we are all here, right? LOL!

Just watched the trailer for the horror/comedy The Return of Swamp Thing. It looks great! Directed by Jim Wynorski who directed Chopping Mall. That might be worth checking out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuK-A2rEFF4

Posts: 115 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Booger, Jim Wynorski is the man!

The Return of Swamp Thing is a good flick.
Campy but highly entertaining stuff.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiffany
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9077

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Tiffany   Email Tiffany   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Night Of The Creeps is on my must see list as I have yet to watch it but I'm having some trouble finding a copy. I was hoping to locate one before Halloween but the stores where I live are pretty limited in their 80's DVD department. Since I love Chopping Mall so much I know this one is going to be great as well.
Posts: 74 | From: Nova Scotia Canada | Registered: Aug 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Booger
Master Rewinder
Member # 4569

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Booger, Jim Wynorski is the man!

The Return of Swamp Thing is a good flick.
Campy but highly entertaining stuff.

I love camp! LOL. I have to say I was not familiar with Jim Wynorski until now. It appears that he is a Roger Corman protege which is pretty cool. I love B-movies and exploitation cinema so I will be checking out more of his work for sure. And just about anything with Heather Locklear is worth checking out [Wink]
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Tiffany.. you definitely want to move "Night of the Creeps" to the top of your list. It was recently released in the US on DVD and Blu-ray.

Thrill Me!!

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Day 7 - Strange Invaders (1983)

-

"Strange Invaders" is beloved among sci-fi enthusiasts as an early-'80s tribute to its 1950s counterparts.

The plot is simple--Paul LeMat investigates the disappearance of his ex-wife (Diana Scarwid) in a small Illinois town that's been occupied by aliens for 25 years-- the movie's creepy atmosphere and cast seem to make it a good companion to the 50's films that inspired it. There are even two stars from the cult classic sci-fi series "Lost in Space", Mark Goddard and June Lockhart, who appear in this film.

If you like old 50's sci-fi.. then this movie might appeal to you. Otherwise, I don't recommend it. There are a few creepy scenes, but overall it was a miss for me.

Tiffany
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9077

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Tiffany   Email Tiffany   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished watching Night Of The Creeps. For me the ending made the whole movie! Next up on my list to watch is Sleepaways Camp and Return Of The Living Dead.
Posts: 74 | From: Nova Scotia Canada | Registered: Aug 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Tiffany.. funny you should say that about the ending of "Night of the Creeps" because there are more than one ending depending on if you watched in the theaters, on cable, or on the dvd.

My fav part of the movie is when Chris listens to the haunting recorder from J.C.

If you have never seen "The Return of the Living Dead" .. you're in for a treat.

Day 8 - The Return of the Living Dead

-

The Return of the Living Dead Thread

xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Day 4.. From Beyond

-

"From Beyond" centers around a pair of scientists attempting to stimulate the pineal gland with a device called The Resonator. An unforeseen result of their experiments is the ability to perceive creatures from another dimension that proceed to drag the lead scientist into their world, who later returns as a grotesque shape-changing monster and preys upon the others at the laboratory.

I finally got my paws on the uncut version of Stuart Gordon's "From Beyond".. I had heard about it years ago, but it wasn't until I saw "The Re-Animator" on late night cable recently that it reminded of this flick. I've seen the 'R' rated version a couple of times and I can't imagine the gore getting much worse.. but bring it!

-

Scream queen Barbara Crampton is terrific in this movie.. and Jeffrey Combs has had quite the career, but I actually remember him best from from the Heather Thomas flick "Cyclone".

-

But the acting isn't the main reason to watch "From Beyond".. it is the special effects and make-up that are horror awesome. Sitting somewhere right in between hideously grotesque and artistically gorgeous, the special effects in "From Beyond" are some of the most well conceived and constructed for a b-movie.

this movie is awesome.

no doubt the 80's had the best horror/gore flicks.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiffany
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9077

Member Rated:
Valley, I had no idea there were different endings. I'm not sure which version I watched so now I have to go research. I also loved the part where he listens to the recording, very eerie. I happened to find Return Of The Living Dead Collectors Edition in a cheap movie bin today for $7.50. I'll be watching that over the next few days and am totally psyched!
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Booger:
Just finished watching Chopping Mall for the first time. Wow! That mall sure had a lot of combustibles. LOL! It was formulaic and followed the "horror movie rules" but I liked it. My favorite line from the film: Rick: "Let's send these ****ers a Rambo-gram." Haha!!

Up next...I'm not sure. I'd like to see some different ones this season that I haven't previously seen. Perhaps Slaughther High, Night of the Creeps, The Gate--or some of the ones I haven't seen in a while like Fright Night, Motel Hell, or Mother's Day.

Of course everything will culminate on Oct 31st with the original Halloween. I used to like to watch a horror film every night during the month of October but I rarely have time for that any longer. So I'll probably only see around 10 horror flicks this month.

The Gate is a good movie. I've never seen Mother's Day--is it any good?
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Fright Night 2 for the first time last night....liked it alot. Although....plop Traci Lind and Julie Carmen in Fright Night Part 1....even better!

* I think someone else mentioned this recently, but, wondering why Traci Lind wasn't in more movies....she's super cute and not a bad actress...what up wit dat.

* Julie Carmen...same thing...why not in more movies? She looks like the off-spring from a one night stand between Aylissa Milano and Lisa Bonet'...I'd have watched he rin anything!

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
kev.. stoked that you finally watched it and enjoyed similar elements as me.. I think I'll watch it again tonight as well.

Day 9 - Fright Night II

-

Fright Night II Thread

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched Blue Monkey (1987) aka Insect yesterday.
It was a decent low-budget horror flick starring Steve Railsback, Gwynyth Walsh and Don Lake.

While working in a greenhouse, a man receives an insect bite after touching an exotic plant.
Immediately, he falls ill and is taken to an emergency room where the doctors diagnose him as suffering from an unknown bacteria,
and a strange parasite which emerges from his mouth as a large slimy wormlike creature.
Soon, there are more cases of bacterial infection, but the more immediate problem for the hospital is the wormlike creature
which after accidental exposure to a genetic growth stimulant grows to monstrous proportions
and starts a reign of terror and bloodshed in the hospitals abandoned wing. (IMDb)

Cool atmosphere, some pretty nurses and one big bug.

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I watched Slaughterhouse. Ummm not what I was expecting! Bloody and gory but kinda dumb. Also, I didn't like the ending.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNUC
Master Rewinder
Member # 3594

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TNUC   Author's Homepage   Email TNUC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley....thats cool that you enjoyed The Burning.

My Rocktober has started out with a few spooky flicks as well...this week I watched When a Stranger Calls, Fright Night and Creepshow 2.

Annnd I just returned from a Pet Cemetary/Pet Cemetary 2 double-feature at a theater down the street!....the director was there for a Q+A as well.

Did you know the character "Zelda" in the first movie (the wife's dead sister) is actually played by a male? The director was explained to us that they couldn't find a young girl ugly enough for the role of the sister....so they hired a boy !

Posts: 193 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TNUC, that Zelda character is the scariest thing I have ever seen in my life!
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

quote:
Originally posted by Veronica Sawyer:
TNUC, that Zelda character is the scariest thing I have ever seen in my life!

She scared the crap outta me!!
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home