iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Return of the Living Dead - Cult Classic (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Return of the Living Dead - Cult Classic
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I'm from Kentucky, so this movie is a definite fav of mine.  James Karen is just incredible in this movie and he has me laughing throughout.  

-

"Watch your tongue, boy, if you like this job!"

"The Return of the Living Dead" takes place in Louisville Kentucky where a punk rocker named Freddy (Thom Mathews) has started a new job at a medical supply warehouse. His co-worker Frank (James Karen) spins a tall tale about Romero’s "Night of the Living Dead" being a true story. Frank’s proof is that the military mistakenly shipped canisters of dead bodies to their warehouse. Frank takes Freddy to the basement to give him a peak at one of the bodies storied in a canister. But Frank accidentally cracks one of the canisters open spewing mysterious gas all over the place that brings a dead cadaver back to life.     

-

Meanwhile, Freddy’s friends arrive to pick him up at work, they decide to check out the nearby cemetery while they wait.  Frank, Freddy, and their boss Burt (Clu Gulager) try to kill the cadaver, but even dismemberment is unsuccessful.  Left with no choice, they take it next door to a mortuary and incinerate the body.  As Freddy's punker friends continue to party in the graveyard, the mysterious gas release causes a rain storm that starts to awaken the dead in the cemetary and survival will soon not come easy!

"What do mean no blood pressure, no pulse?"

This movie had the perfect mixture of comedy and horror. Of the 'Living Dead' series of movies this is by far my fav.  Really like John Philbin and Jewel Sheppard as the mismatched couple.  Also, Miguel Nunez has gone on to have quite the career.  And though Linnea Quigley was nude most the movie.. she gave one wicked performance.  

"More Brains!!!"

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love it.
Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love this movie! Are the sequels any good?
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This film is meh to me.

I really like Return of the living dead 3.

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vague memory of this one, seem to recall it being quite good, though I must confess that I tend to get some of these zombie flicks mixed up at times.

quote:
Originally posted by There'll be no morning for us:

I really like Return of the living dead 3.

Shout out to Melinda Clarke! robbed of screen time in Spawn, she was.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this one! I've got a thing for cheesy zombie movies....naked Linnea Quigley on the grave is hard to erase from your head even as a girl lol.

"brrrrrains..........brains!"

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Linnea Quigley was nude most the movie

naked Linnea Quigley on the grave is hard to erase from your head even as a girl lol.

That was something of an 'awakening' scene for me from childhood. I still think she looks really great in it! Must be why I've always had a thing for short-haired punky girls.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this movie is one of my faves. [Smile]

the dvd extras are awesome with the cast interviews. "freddy" is still handsome as ever.

the soundtrack has been talked about here before, the punk/new wave tracks were great in this one.

SSQ's "Tonight" used in the memorable scene Muffy mentioned, the grave dance lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MbZT5e7A64

do ya wanna paaaaarty!

Party Time

valley, there are too many lines and moments in this movie to mention that are hilarious to me.

Burt yelling at the guys, Spider cussing everytime he speaks, the zombie with no legs, frank's crying and moaning, tar-man, and frank telling freddy the story of the 'original' night of the living dead: the movie. haha! [Big Grin]

send more cops!!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie.. I was going to mention the soundtrack, but to be honest, most of the tunes are ones I've never heard before this movie.

And the extras on the DVD were great. My fav part of the extras was when Clu Gulager mentioned that he had been in well over 100 movies and he took this movie as his career was on its way down.. but looking back it was one of the top 5 movies of his entire career. That is incredible stuff! Also, like the respect that he gave to Thom Mathews (Freddy) acting skills.

I would recommend this movie to both horror fans and people that just enjoy a fun movie. It has both.. cover your eyes and laugh out loud moments. My kind of horror!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great, classic, hilarious, gory movie. I love it. Bought the DVD the day it came out!

Part 2 sucks. Stay away from that one!

Part 3 is good but has nothing to do with the first two. Two words about part 3 MINDY CLARKE! YOWZA!!!!!
 -

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mire Mare
Master Rewinder
Member # 5900

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mire Mare   Email Mire Mare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part 2 "SUCKS" NO WAY it is one of those rare sequels that is every bit as good as the original., trust me if you liked the original you will get a kick out of Part 2.

Now part's 3, 4 (Necropolis) and 5 (Rave to the Grave)are utter chum and completly destroy everything that is cool about the first 2.

All who are with me say "BRAINS".

MM

Posts: 165 | From: Coventry, United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

I figured I might as well start the new year off with a movie that suits the way I feel this morning.. so I went with "Return of the Living Dead Part II".

As you can tell by my comments above, I consider the original "The Return of the Living Dead" an 80's horror/comedy classic. And as much as I want part II to be the same way, it just can't compare.  The original was able to find the right mixture of horror and comedy for me, but part II went too far with the goofy comedy in my opinion.

-

But if you've never seen part II, I still recommend watching it for fans of the original.

-

It was fun to see James Karen and Thom Mathews back for part II though obviously in different though similar type roles.  Thom even makes a funny comment about it that fans of the original will enjoy.  Also, great to see an 80's horror fav Suzanne Snyder as Thom's girlfriend.

My fav characters were actually played by Marsha Dietlein and Dana Ashbrook.  

-

And Muffy.. don't worry .. my New Year's resolution aerobics workout is still on for this morning despite the zombie interruption..

Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched a Thom Matthews movie this morning too, Friday the 13th part 6. I love the original Return of the living dead, but haven't seen part 2 yet.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Burnett
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9924

5 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Burnett   Email Burnett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely one of my fav zombie flicks.
Posts: 87 | From: Belgium | Registered: Aug 2011 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pork pie mcfly

Member # 6802

54 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for pork pie mcfly   Email pork pie mcfly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never get tired of watching this one!
Posts: 235 | From: Hill Valley | Registered: Apr 2008 | Site Updates: 54  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last year a book called The Complete History of The Return of The Living Dead was published.
It covers not only the original, but also the sequels. Not surprisingly, the original gets the
most attention.
It's a good book which consists of interviews with practically everyone involved in the original movie.
And it literally has hundreds of behind-the-scenes stills, production stills, story-board drawings
and original artwork from around the world.

The book also served as the basis for the recently released retrospective documentary
More Brains ! A Return to The Living Dead.

More Brains ! is a 2 hour documentary which covers the whole production history of the original movie.
On-screen interviews with everyone you can think of, including all of the main actors.
Not only the good things are remembered and discussed, but also the not so good.

The disc features another approx. 2 hours of additional bonus features, which include featurettes
about parts 2 and 3, as well as a 30 minute interview with writer / director Dan O'Bannon
(which sadly turned out to be his last).

Both the book as well as the More Brains dvd are an absolute must-have for any fan of The Return of The Living Dead !
(and i know there are some on this site)

Just thought i'd let you know. [Smile]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the tip Johnny! I'd heard about the More Brains! documentary and I definitely want to get it!

I did hear a rumor of a work print of ROTLD that's supposed to have even more mayhem and carnage. =)

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
Last year a book called The Complete History of The Return of The Living Dead was published.

I have that wonderful book....I cherish it! [Smile] I completely agree about the interviews and those pics are excellent! You can tell they had a great time making the movie. Cool stuff on part 2 in there as well.

I was unaware of the documentary, but thank you Johnny. I would love to see it.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 -

I just ordered this dvd. $16.00 shipped to my door! =)

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skatexedge:

I just ordered this dvd. $16.00 shipped to my door! =) [/QB]

That's the one ! [Smile]

Glad to be of assistance. I hope you like it.

Ronnie, are you gonna get the dvd too ?

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
Ronnie, are you gonna get the dvd too ?

Heck yes. [Smile]
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

Return of the Living Dead blu-ray UK release will contain the documentary, "More Brains."

-

5 Hours of Bonus Features:
More Brains! A Return To The Living Dead: The definitive 2 hour documentary featuring interviews with cast, writers, producers and many more, as well as previously unseen behind-the-scenes footage, storyboards, conceptual art, publicity materials and archival documents.
More Brains! 2 hours of Killer Bonus Features: A conversation with Dan O'Bannon: The Final Interview. They Won't Stay Dead: A look at Return Of The Living Dead Part II. Love Beyond The Grave: A look at Return Of The Living Dead III. Stacey Q Live: Exclusive 'Tonight' music video. Even More Brains: Deleted documentary interviews. Return of the Living Dead in 3 minutes. Resurrected Settings: The Filming Locations Today.
The Origins of Return Of The Living Dead with John A. Russo.
The FX Of The Living Dead with production designer William Stout and FX make-up artists William Munns and Tony Gardner.
Party Time with music consultant Steve Pross and 45 Grave singer Dinah Cancer.
Exclusive to Bluray Steelbook - Ernie's Notepad: a 20-page replica notebook by embalmer Ernie Kaltenbrunner, featuring production notes, casting information and exclusive artwork

I love this case way more than the existing one!

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While this movie does hold some good nostalgic value...I'm still gonna have to say I prefer parts 3 & 4 over it. The Comedy/Horror shtik is good n all..I just never felt it worked very well for the zombie flick realm. So I prefer them like parts 3 & 4, straight on blood/guts fleshfests. But I've already delved into all this in my short review on "Return of the Living Dead 3."

http://www.fast-rewind.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/9/870.html

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ronnie:
[QB] Return of the Living Dead blu-ray UK release will contain the documentary, "More Brains."

All those extra's are the same as on the More Brains dvd. The blu-ray will be a good release,
especially for those who haven't seen More Brains yet.
It's a shame though that they didn't include the same extra's from the region 1 collector's edition as well. Those seem to be exclusive for US territories. All we got here in Holland was a
bare-bones release from MGM years ago, and none of the extra's MGM prepared for their US release.

Extra's from the US collector's edition :

- Commentary with director Dan O'Bannon and production designer William Stout

- Commentary with Don Calfa, Linnea Quigley, Brian Peck, Beverly Randolph, Allan Trautman and William Stout

- Return of The Living Dead : The Dead Have Risen retrospective featurette (20 min. approx.)

- Designing the Dead featurette (14 min. approx.)

- The Decade of Darkness featurette (23 min. approx.)

- 2 theatrical trailers

And the collector's edition has a cool glow-in-the-dark packaging too !

Ducktalesfan81
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 10446

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Ducktalesfan81   Email Ducktalesfan81       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome movie, i saw it in theaters when i was 4 and creeped me out.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home