iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Halloween Scary Movie Thread 2010 (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Halloween Scary Movie Thread 2010
Booger
Master Rewinder
Member # 4569

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Booger   Email Booger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pettyfan:
I've never seen Mother's Day--is it any good?

Yes, Mother's Day is very creepy. The sons are lunatics. It kinda reminded me of the orginal Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Very violent and disturbing movie but I highly recommend it. Check out the trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47NgeareOM8
Posts: 115 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amityville II: The Possession (1982)

I think that this is even better than the original Amityville Horror (1979).
But this movie is actually a prequel.

Cool old school effects and some great make-up.
Jack Magner looked really evil [Cool]

It was also nice to see Diane Franklin in her second feature film,
right after The Last American Virgin.

Amityville 2 The Posession Trailer

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Day 13 - This flick is for Ronnie !!

-

"Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter" was the fourth and initially intended be last installment of the Friday the 13th movie franchise. The film proved so popular that seven additional sequels and a reboot have been made since this movie was released in 1984.

-

Picking up directly after the end of "Friday the 13th: Part III", the film follows the infamous Jason Voorhees as he stalks teens at Crystal Lake. The film features truly unforgettable performances by both Corey Feldman and Crispin Glover.

-

I really like the mixture of 80's favs in this flick.. you also get to see Kimberly Beck, Judie Aronson, and Lawrence Monoson in different types of roles than the movies that they are best known for by most of us.

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter is not just a must see for horror fans, but for anyone who considers themselves a fan of 80's horror.

The teaser for this movie is Crispin Glover's incredible dancing skills:

Crispin Glover dancing in Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter

What's your fav "Friday the 13th"? Mine is actually Part 2, but this one is right there with it!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aTomiK....Amittyville 2 scared the crap out of me as a kid. My parents were pretty flexible with what they allowed me to watch, but this typically wouldn't have been allowed. Anyway....they let me watch it, and it scarred me for life!

Valley....Jason X is actually my favorite......NOT! I own all the Friday the 13ths (except Jason X), but it's been a while since I've seen them all....I'll try to watch a few before Halloween and get back to you on this one...

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love part 7! It has an awesomely bad 80's makeover in it that totally makes the movie [Wink]
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you Val. i love part 4, as i just watched it recently..it's my favorite one. i also watched the others but not passed part 7. i can't get into the rest.

i love how parts 2, 3 & 4 begin with recaps. [Smile]

that scene with glover, dancing... love that song by Lion. [Wink]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HarryCanyon
Master Rewinder
Member # 9143

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for HarryCanyon   Email HarryCanyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh i grew up with these as a kid in the 80's and early 90's and teen in the mid to late 90's.

How about Near Dark?

Posts: 125 | From: Santa Ana, California | Registered: Sep 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Day 14 - Gothic (1986)

-

Director Ken Russell applies his trademark excess to this surreal, experimental examination of the creative dementia which shaped Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley's Frankenstein. The story is embellished from events which allegedly took place at the Swiss villa of Lord Byron (Gabriel Byrne) on the night of June 16, 1816. Byron's guests include poet Percy Shelley (Julian Sands) and his future wife Mary (Natasha Richardson); Mary's half-sister Claire (Myriam Cyr) and Byron's leech-happy personal physician Dr. John Polidori (Timothy Spall). Byron promises them a night of horror like only a mad poet can deliver -- after partaking of laudanum and other hallucinogens, the guests tell ghost stories while exploring the dark corridors of his home. From here, Russell dives headlong into madness, discarding plot structure in favor of fever-dream setpieces in which the guests confront living manifestations of their own fears and insecurities -- creative, mortal and sexual, among others. 

I must have passed the VHS tape 25 times before I finally rented this bizarre movie.  The movie was a crazy ride that had a haunting feel to it throughout.  The premise was intriguing, but the VHS cover might still be the scariest part!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to watch Return of the Living Dead 2 and maybe the new Nightmare on Elm street today.........I have Trick or Treat 2009 and the 80's House coming in the mail soon! I haven't seen any of them (well House a long time ago).....i'm soooooooo excited!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy, the Trick r Treat movie is really good. It has an 80s feel to it.

Valley, I tried several times to watch Gothic. I never could get into it.

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy, you will love Trick R Treat! The new Nightmare is well, interesting....
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Day 15 - Silent Scream (1980)

-

When Scotty Parker and three other students move into Mrs Engels' boarding house on the coast, they soon begin to suspect that something strange is happening.  Mrs Engels hides away in her attic room and her son Mason is a creepy character who likes to watch violent TV shows. Then one of the students is brutally killed leaving Scotty and the rest questioning why..

"Silent Scream" is a rather creepy slasher that kind of got lost between "Halloween" and "Friday the 13th".. Rebecca Balding is awesome as Scotty. And most people will recognize Barbara Steele who played the daughter Victoria Engels who was quite the scream queen back then.  Great scene where they enter a room and she appears to be looking into a mirror.

Oh and great to see Lily Munster in this film as well.  You might know the two detectives that seemed a bit slow to react even though they had all the clues early on.

I think what made this movie so interesting was the seaside mansion setting.  Some people say that it has several parallels to the movie "Psycho".. creepy mansion, weird son and mother.. and very large knife!

If you think you've had a strange life.. just wait until you meet Mason..

kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto on Trick r Treat...watched it last year and loved it...I'll try to squeeze it in again this year. I find it hard to decide whether to watch my old favorites that I know and love, while still trying to fit in a few new ones that I haven't seen...
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Booger
Master Rewinder
Member # 4569

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Booger   Email Booger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished watching Fright Night. Some horror movies just don't hold up over the years but this one sure does. The vampires look very menacing. Kinda reminds me of what they did with the werewolf in An American Werewolf in London. Now I've gotta track down the sequel. The dvd price is through the roof! Guess I'll have to track down a cheap VHS copy or laserdisc.
Posts: 115 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Just bought Night of the Comet and Scarecrows...haven't seen either, so we'll see what I can do this weekend....
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Kev.. get ready for some incredible "Night of the Comet" fun.. the tunes are wicked!
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Yeah Valley...tonight may finally be the night. My wife will be out helping a friend decorate for a wedding tommorow, so, once my little guy is in bed...hoping to watch a couple of Halloween flicks, starting with "Night of the Comet".

A bit confused though, so maybe someone can clarify....I know "Night of the Comet" is a cult classic and talked about on here quite frequently, but I may have mixed it up with Night of the Creeps...is this the same style of movie, a sequel, or nothing like "Comet". I know I could invest the time and find out for myself by searching through older threads, but this way is quicker and more fun....can someone enlighten me?

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Kev.. from this point forward please use 'NotC' .. that way it applies to either movie just in case you have a Freudian moment.  Right Ronnie?   [Big Grin]

Both movies are 80's awesome zombie flicks that fall squarely in Tiffany's description of why she enjoys movies like "Chopping Mall".  Horror with a touch of comedy that flows perfectly.  The movies have actually nothing to do with each other, except maybe both were overlooked in the 80's.  

Night of the Comet - Tempest, DMK, Comet Zombies, Cheerleader, Neon Lighting, Valley Girl Album, Imitation Uzis, REG, the attack of Eddie Munster, Santa Hector..    

Night of the Creeps - Sorority Babes, College Geeks, Comet Zombies, Screamin' Banshees, Go Monster Squad, Axe Murder, Dead Formal Dates, Blowtorch, Thrill Me..

I love both movies, but if I had to choose .. it would be NofC

Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love love love............Creeps and Comet! I think Kev should get on watching both of them.....I can see why you'd put Chopping Mall in the same catagory but something just went flat on Chopping Mall for me....the humor wasn't AS great? It was all killbots at the end...both NoTC's I can watch over and over and would recommend to everyone!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i recently watched a movie Muffy suggested called House of the Devil and i recognized a lady in that movie, she was the government lady in Night of the Comet and she was also in Chopping Mall. but i mainly remember her as principle Togar in Rock and Roll Highschool.

i have the soundtrack for Comet.. love the song,
Hard Act To Followby Diana Dewitt

if i had to choose between NotC and NotC, i choose NotC...as in Night of the Creeps. [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Simoneer
Senior Rewinder
Member # 8941

2 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Simoneer   Author's Homepage   Email Simoneer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to be in the minority here. I didn't like Chopping Mall at all. I don't think it's "so bad it's good", it's just "bad". I really like Killer Klowns From Outer Space, though. Such a cheesefest.

Personally, I might watch Neon Maniacs for Halloween. Chances are I'll watch The Monster Squad. And/or maybe Gremlins 2. I might give Return Of The Living Dead a shot, as a first (if I can keep myself from watching it before); I watched Part II the other day and absolutely loved it. If part 1 is in the same vein of the second, I know I'll love it.

I appreciate this thread.

Posts: 56 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jun 2010 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Simoneer.. all opinions are welcome and I totally understand how you could see "Chopping Mall" as a bad movie.

Also, the original "The Return of the Living Dead" is incredible!!

Wait Muffy.. I was just referencing Tiffany's comment about "Chopping Mall" and why she considers it classic 80's horror. My own thoughts are that "Chopping Mall" is great late night fun, but if you want me to compare it directly to "Creeps" or "Comet" .. it just can't compare. Both of those are B-movie horror magic!

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ronnie.. do you have:

"Eyes On You" by Jocko Marcellino?

I don't and totally crave it! You know where you can find me.

Valley

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only watched 25 so far  -

Ratings out of 10

Trick 'R Treat - 7
The Children (2008) - 8
Hatchet (2006) - 5
Fright Night - 10
Fright Night, Part II - 4
Buried (2010) - 7
Poltergeist II: The Other Side - 4
The House That Dripped Blood - 10
The Crawling Hand - 3
Mulberry Street - 5
Prey (1978) - 7
Rosemary's Baby - 9
She Creature (2001) - 4
Last Rites (2006) - 3
Graves End - 5
Event Horizon - 7
Asylum (1972) - 8
Embodiment Of Evil - 5
The Entity (1981) - 9
Nightmare (2005) - 5
Candyman - 8
Hit And Run (2008) - 5
Southern Gothic (2007) - 6
Sarah Landon And The Paranormal Hour - 5
My Bloody Valentine (2009) - 6

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Chopping Mall is so bad it's good [Big Grin] I'm gonna watch soon.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home