iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The ten 80's movies that you can't get enough of.... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The ten 80's movies that you can't get enough of....
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah I hate to act like I kiss John Hughe's *** but really - I do! The man is a saint and shouldve been knighted in my book.

whats really interesting is my mom called me up a few weeks ago to tell me about an article she read about him and then she said "Do you know Ive never seen FERRIS BUELLERS DAY OFF? How could I NOT have seen that movie? You watched it all the time" and I said "well, I have the DVD , come over any time and watch it. I have a LOT of his movies." so yeah, its nice to know someone in their 70s is ready to BECOME a fan too.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for saturnchick   Email saturnchick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Back to the Future

-

2. The Goonies

-

3. Stand By Me

-

4. The Breakfast Club

-

5. The Lost Boys

-

6. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

-

7. Die Hard

-

8. Tootsie

-

9. Steel Magnolias - maximum 8 pics per post =/

10 Big - maximum 8 pics per post =(

Honorable Mentions: The Secret of My Success, Terms of Endearment, Karate Kid, and The 'burbs

[ 13. March 2010, 00:16: Message edited by: saturnchick ]

Posts: 339 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In random order....I had to have 11!

1. Valley Girl
2. Wall Street
3. Fast Times At Ridgemont High
4. Night Of The Comet
5. Die Hard
6. First Blood
7. Pale Rider
8. Beverly Hills Cop
9. A Fish Called Wanda
10. Angel
11. Back To The Future

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
yeah I hate to act like I kiss John Hughe's *** but really - I do! The man is a saint and shouldve been knighted in my book.
Aww... we all kiss his beeeehind here, don't we? I imagine we were the ones doing it when it wasn't the 'in' thing to be doing.

quote:
its nice to know someone in their 70s is ready to BECOME a fan too.
Before you let her watch it make sure you tell her not to get any big ideas. You know what these kids are like!

@ Saturnchick:

YESSSSSSS! A little 'Tootsie' love!

If you were a real person and not an internet construct designed to make people feel like they're interacting with other human beings when in fact all they're doing is interacting with randomised numbers generated by a supercomputer that runs the planet... I'd kiss the back of your hand! Shame you don't have a hand. This will have to do:

XOXOOOXXXXXOOOXOXOOOOXOX

I think that was a little too raunchy.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cant believe I forgot STAND BY ME. I hang my head in shame, Corey. Really, I do.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, all the above movies are just great but here goes my list, hmmm

The Goonies

Dream a little Dream

ferris buellers day off

gremlins

Karate kid

Lost boys

Big Trouble in little China

back to the Future

Breakfast Club

An American werewolf in London

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for saturnchick   Email saturnchick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Logan - it's nice to see a fellow Tootsie fan, I always think that one gets lost in the shuffle. Although it is a great, great comedy, very rarely do hear people mention it as a favorite of the 80's.

To mama - I LOVE Stand by Me. I can't begin to tell you how many times I watched that one from about 1987-1991. Probably close to 100 times. Crazy, I know, but it's a fine movie, and it still stands up after all these years. Hooray for Stand by Me.

Posts: 339 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ending with River always gets me.

People tend to forget about the more 'adult' movies of the 80's when making lists, because there's so much nostalgia and 'memories of youth' involved, so the films inevitably feature the young. Ironically, some of the biggest hits of the 80's almost never appear on people's fave lists.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Valley Girl (4-ever)
2. Fire with Fire (recently rediscovered)
3. 16 Candles (my son's name is Jake:)
4. Labyrinth (falling)
5. Legend (dance with Darkness)
6. Heavy Metal (someone always finds me)
7. Willow
8. Night of the Comet
9. Pee Wee's Big Adventure (no one hipped me to that dude)
10. Stand By Me (leeches!)

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bamersy.. you named your son after 'Jake Ryan'? How awesome is that!!
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes-it's Jake not Jacob :)Valley-do you have a myspace fan page for Valley Girl?
Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Random Order:

Wall Street
Mannequin
Back To The Future
Raiders of The Lost Ark
St Elmo's Fire
The Burbs
Big Trouble in Little China
Aliens
Wargames
Project A

[ 13. April 2010, 06:07: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a nut for order, but the task is too impossible to even get to just 10, so this will go against every impulse of mine and will just be random, so in truly no particular order and because these may not be my favorite movies of the 80's, but they get heavy enough rotation on cable channels that you can almost always find them on a Saturday or Sunday playomg somewhere and invariably derail some portion of my day...

Rocky IV

-

...because if I'se can change, and you'se can change...EVERYBODY'S CAN CHANGE! [Big Grin]

Aliens

This will stop me dead in my tracks every, every, every, every, every, every single time! I thought of writing the an open letter to the various cable channel executives asking them to not play it on the weekends so I can return to my life, but I am dealing with it because it mostly comes on at night...mostly. [Wink]

Return of the Jedi

Like I said, not a list of top movies, but it is weirdly like a drug to me and I always find myself coming to with Ewoks dancing around a tree and music swelling to the Star Wars title theme and think to myself...did I just watch half of Jedi again?

Back to the Future

It just never gets old.

The Goonies

Thank you TNT Network...yes please! May I have another?!

-

Up The Creek

I love this movie, always look for it and surprisingly enough I find it about a half dozen times a year. It is currently on Comcast Free Movies!

-

Streets of Fire

I love the music, story, acting, just all of it and it is so "rainy saturday at 2 in the afternoon" consumable!

Wargames

And thank you to USA Network! [Razz]

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Hey you guys had shirts on when you came in here.

"Well something happen'd to 'em"

-

Caddyshack

Funnier every single time I watch it which should be theoretically impossible.

Footloose

Forget Avatar! This is why I need to get Blu Ray with 7.1 surround!!!

...and an amp that goes to 11. [Big Grin]

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like your style Earl Keese!
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hard and it sometimes changes somewhat but if i really had to make a decision this would be the order.
1. Goonies
2. Big trouble in little china
3. dream a little dream
4. thrashin
5. back to the future
6. Gremlins
7. Ghostebusters
8. Temple of Doom
9. jewel of the Nile
10. Stand by Me

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
actually the above isnt right at all after looking at others posts. I really cant do it... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 - How did I forget about Wargames. I still get stick off my Brothers for watching that a gazillion times as a kid.
Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is impossible..there's just too many..but here's a rough attempt at it anyway..and I garantee this will not even be close to accurate..because I'll just change my mind on half the movies after I post this:

1. Rocky IV - What can I say?...Easily the best of the bunch with a kick *** soundtrack that I still crank up whenever the chance arises.

2. The Goonies: Do I really need to explain why??..it's a must for any 80's fan to have this movie on the list..nuff said.

3. Poltergeist - The first movie I ever saw that scared the Bejesus out of me enough to cause me to wet my pants and run home screaming like a little girl.

4. RAD - Yes, I was a rabid BMX'er growing up..so this movie was the be all, end all of all great movies to me growing up. And thanks to this movie I'll forever have the songs "Send Me An Angel" and "Thunder in your Heart" echoing in the deepest, darkest reccesses of my brain until I die.

5. Raiders of the Lost Ark - My dad got me addicted to all the Indiana Jones films at a young age...and Raiders is my fav of the bunch. I still jump up and cheer like a rabid football fan when the big bald Nazi gets diced by the German plane propellars.

6. Body Double - This would probably have to be my favorite in the De Palma collection, (followed closely by "Casualties of War"). Though it foreshadows heavily on not only 1, but 3 different Hitchc0ck films...it's still a brilliant film..no one will ever change my mind on that..and I don't remember old HitchC0ck films being as erotic as De Palma's works.

7. Gremlins - GIZMOOO!!! KAHKAH!!!> [Smile]

8. Batman - Well..this is a no-brianer simply because Batman's one of my all-time favorite Comic Books...so it goes without saying I loved the film..and I still think it's one of Tim Burton's Best works to date. And also one of Danny Elfman's best scores to date as well. It's Just an overall great package.

9. Aliens - Damn I'd still kill to get my hands on some of those Weapons!

10. Staying Alive - Yes, one of my favorites in my "Guilty Pleasure" collection. And dare I say it, I like this movie even more than it's counterpart "Saturday Night Fever."

....ok..there's my 10..as i said already though, this list isn't that accurate because if you only want 10..then you won't get that deadly of an accurate list from me.

[ 14. April 2010, 06:03: Message edited by: Pyromantic ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good list Pyromantic, the only one I have never seen is Rad. Would I like it as a 40 year old or would I have needed to see it in the 80's first and have a "soft spot in my heart for it"?
Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earl Keese:
Good list Pyromantic, the only one I have never seen is Rad. Would I like it as a 40 year old or would I have needed to see it in the 80's first and have a "soft spot in my heart for it"?

Right off I'd say you would have needed to see it in the 80's when you were a kid to fully enjoy it. But if you were a BMX'er back in your youth...then you might get a kick out of it strictly from a nostalgic standpoint. But just don't expect the film to raise any IQ points...it's a film targeted toward kids after all. But if you still enjoy "kid flicks"...then I say check it out.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earl Keese:

Earl, if you like, then you can view "Rad" online.

It is on YouTube. Crackedvenom2 has posted it on there.

Please enjoy. [Smile]

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiffany
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9077

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Tiffany   Email Tiffany   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Valley suggested I add my top 10 list. although it changes frequently, here's my current list in no particular order:
1.Chopping Mall
2.Gimme An F
3.The Goonies
4.Just One Of The Guys
5.Can't Buy Me Love
6.Night Of The Comet
7.Night Of The Creeps
8.Girls Just Want To Have Fun
9.The Monster Squad
10.Fire With Fire

Posts: 74 | From: Nova Scotia Canada | Registered: Aug 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No particular order:

Fire with Fire
First Blood
Rocky IV
Revenge of the Nerds
Eliminators
Some Kind of Wonderful
Lost Boys
Spellbinder
War Games
Terminator

So many more!

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
belkai
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 12381

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for belkai   Email belkai   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My List

The Terminator
First Blood
The Catholic Boys
Brubaker
Clash of the Titans
Trading Places
The cannonball run
Stir Crazy
Arthur
Bladerunner

Posts: 18 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't believe I didn't post here before....

Anyway - if you wanna see my list, you've gotta go read it HERE ON MY BLOG

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home