iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » EW's top 50 high school movies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EW's top 50 high school movies
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't sure what category to put this under since it has movies from different decades.

Let's discuss what we think of the selections and where they are ranked.

50. Splendor in the Grass 1961
49. Sixteen Candles 1984
48. Just One of the Guys 1985
47. Napoleon Dynamite 2004
46. Flirting 1992
45. My Bodyguard 1980
44. Can't Hardly Wait 1998
43. Stand and Deliver 1988
42. Fame 1980
41. Can't Buy Me Love 1987
40. Risky Business 1983
39. The Virgin Suicides 2000
38. Bye Bye Birdie 1963
37. Friday Night Lights 2004
36. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 2005
35. Brick 2006
34. Get Real 1999
33. Hoop Dreams 1994
32. Scream 1996
31. The Karate Kid 1984
30. Bring It On 2000
29. Gregory's Girl 1982
28. Back to the Future 1985
27. To Sir, With Love 1967
26. Pretty in Pink 1986
25. Hoosiers 1986
24. Rushmore 1998
23. Cooley High 1975
22. American Pie 1999
21. Grease 1978
20. Dead Poets Society 1989
19. The Last Picture Show 1971
18. Rock 'n' Roll High School 1979
17. Peggy Sue Got Married 1986
16. Lucas 1986
15. Carrie 1976
14. Donnie Darko 2001
13. High School 1968
12. Mean Girls 2004
11. Say Anything 1989
10. Ferris Bueller's Day Off 1986
9. Election 1999
8. Boyz N the Hood 1991
7. Clueless 1995
6. American Graffiti 1973
5. Heathers 1989
4. Rebel Without a Cause 1955
3. Dazed and Confused 1993
2. Fast Times at Ridgemont High 1982
1. The Breakfast Club

Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another 'top 50' list by people who clearly know nothing.... [Roll Eyes]

Proof: Harry Potter is NOT a High School movie. Neither, if we are to be accurate, were: Carrie (almost all the action happens away from school), Dead Poet's Society (it's not a High School, it's a rich kid's academy), The Karate Kid (?), Risky Business (when the movie starts, Joel has just LEFT High School), or Fame (again, not a High school, but a school of Performing Arts - all the kids are above high school age).

What about some other 80s movies that ARE about life at High School? Lord knows there were enough.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmmmmmmmm...where is VALLEY GIRL????
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pleased to see Boyz N the Hood on a list. I would not classify it as a high school movie, though! Yes, your main character (Cuba Gooding Jr.'s character, what was his name?) is in high school and preparing for college. But what about Dough Boy and the other main characters? They certainly were not high school students! This movie was about survival, not high school.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen Can't Buy Me Love ranked higher!

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am glad Fast Times made it up high...But yeah...where's Valley Girl??? Was Private School...high school or college?? I always thought it was like a private girls school like on The Facts of Life...which was high school, so it should be on there too.

I agree that Harry Potter is a bizarre choice, but it does take place all around school...that's what Hogworts is..... a school....and they are all teenagers.

Carrie absolutely takes place in school...that's where the whole finale is...at the Prom. Aside from her home...the school is where it all takes place.

What the heck is Gregory's Girl?? I never heard of that??

What about The Last American Virgin or Secret Admirer...or Summer School??

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard to argue the top three choices, might disagree with the order(personally I would have flip flopped Dazed and TBC keeping FTARH as number two) but those IMHO are the definitive high school movies of all time.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

It's a tough call, I see all of those that are missing, and of course some of us are very bias towards certain 80's movies. I personally hate Dazed and Confused, I know that it has it's place, but my hate comes from everyone telling me how great it was. Regardless, Sixteen Candles not being in the top 10 is a tragedy, I never thought that Pretty in Pink was better than that. A lot of other placement I totally agree with. They gave Mean Girls its respect, and realized that Can't Hardly Wait is just a movie about the party that happened in Say Anything.

Lots of Domination between the years 84-87. That's what I like to see, the odd thing was Lucas being rated so high. Did the author see it last week??

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And for information - Gregory's Girl is a movie everyone should watch, about growing from childhood to maturity in a Scottish town.

I'm shocked that some peole don't know what it is! it's reviewed on tis site - maybe you should take a look?!

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we have movie reviews? [Razz]
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hated DAZED AND CONFUSED too. The "humor"...Was there any?

JUST ONE OF THE GUYS should be on there too.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxwellhauser
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4968

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for maxwellhauser   Email maxwellhauser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty good list. I'll not quibble with "high school" - I think teen movies is close enough. Many of your movies occur away from high school, including American Graffiti, which certainly belongs on any top teen list.

Everyone has different tastes - almost every great teen movie for me is from the 80s - only three non-80s films I put with the top of the 80s - Clueless, American Graffiti, and Rebel Without a Cause - I'm pleased to see they all made your top 7.

Unlike you, I also would have 16 Candles at the very top - 49 is awfully low, especially for someone who has Breakfast Club #1. Ditto on Can't Buy Me Love - #41 is definitely an understatement.

Glaring omissions, from my perspective:
Better off Dead
Adventures in Babysitting
Hiding Out
Revenge of the Nerds (college freshmen = teens)
Night of the Comet (can't blame you for this - most people haven't seen it, but it is INCREDIBLE)

[ 09. September 2006, 22:36: Message edited by: maxwellhauser ]

Posts: 57 | From: Katy, TX | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hadn't thought about Hiding Out...
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love #2 and #3, but The Breakfast Club being #1? What were they smoking when they made that choice? I have no affinity for The Breakfast Club- it was pure cheese IMHO.
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traycee
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5017

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for traycee   Email traycee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by P.S It's Paul...:

Proof: Harry Potter is NOT a High School movie. Neither, if we are to be accurate, were: Carrie (almost all the action happens away from school), Dead Poet's Society (it's not a High School, it's a rich kid's academy), The Karate Kid (?), Risky Business (when the movie starts, Joel has just LEFT High School), or Fame (again, not a High school, but a school of Performing Arts - all the kids are above high school age).

What about some other 80s movies that ARE about life at High School? Lord knows there were enough.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traycee
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5017

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for traycee   Email traycee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by P.S It's Paul...:

um paul, which "carrie" are you referring to, because the version that i've seen almost a gazillion times, well i don't remember any action, (other than her house with crazy mom and maybe "git'er done" with the slaughter of the pig), taking place anywhere but the high school! from the beginning in the high school locker room, to the high school classroom where she starts falling for billy, to the guidance office in the high school when she's getting advice from Miss Collins, until you get to the most memorable scene which is at the high school prom! so lighten up a little!
Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oreb
Senior Rewinder
Member # 5007

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Oreb   Email Oreb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the list is pretty mmuch lame, and conatins some movies that are not even good, hardly good teen movies then

besides, most of these lists are made by high-brow wannabe intellectuals with no real knowledge about the subject, anyway

Posts: 55 | From: Croatia | Registered: Sep 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AdventuresInGooniesitting
Master Rewinder
Member # 1882

- posted      Profile for AdventuresInGooniesitting         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oreb:
the list is pretty much lame, and conatins some movies that are not even good, hardly good teen movies then

besides, most of these lists are made by high-brow wannabe intellectuals with no real knowledge about the subject, anyway

My sentiments exactly. That list is a total joke...I'm sure most members here at the Rewind have a greater knowledge/passion for these movies than the hacks who compiled that list.

Better Off Dead and Some Kind of Wonderful should definitely be on there. So should "crazy/beautiful", which is an underrated teen drama from 2001. Saved! should have been on there as well, no question. I'd also add WarGames, but I'm not sure if they consider that to be a "high school" movie...

Strange that they have Can't Hardly Wait on the list and not 10 Things I Hate About You and/or She's All That. (these three movies are just OK to me, but the latter two are better IMO, and more popular than the former)

The ranking for Sixteen Candles is ridiculously low...that is just uncalled for. Risky Business is surprisingly low as well.

American Pie isn't worthy of it's #22 rank IMO...there's no way it's better than Rushmore, Back to the Future, Karate Kid, and several others that rank lower than it. I always thought the jokes in the American Pie flicks were really dumb and forced...didn't like the original, the 2nd one was OK and I barely cracked a smile during American Wedding...but that's just me.

Nice to see Lucas ranked at #16. I was wondering if it would even appear on the list, as it is a tad obscure compared to other 80s flicks. I would have probably put it in the top 10 myself...

Mean Girls is ranked a bit too high, IMO. I do like this movie, but think it is way overrated...many flicks lower on the list are better.

Add me to the list of people who weren't impressed by Dazed and Confused...

Nice to see Breakfast Club and Fast Times at Ridgemont High ranked at #1 and #2, respectively. I'll agree with that...

All just my opinion, of course...

Posts: 269 | From: Dawson's Garage, I owe $5 | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LONNIE
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3934

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for LONNIE   Email LONNIE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not see either Taps or Class rank I saw neither in the list. All brat pack movies.
Posts: 91 | From: ohio | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

I don't think Class deserves to be on the list. A very pedestrian movie at best. Taps is a little harder to dispute but perhaps they consider a millitary academy to be different than a high school; after all there were students of all ages attending the academy.
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand how they can rate The Breakfast Club so high (deservedly) whilst rate 16 Candles so low (undeservedly), also what about 18 Again, Porky's, and Three O'Clock High?
Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oreb
Senior Rewinder
Member # 5007

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Oreb   Email Oreb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, when someone wants to make a movie list like this, they obviuosly want to prove their knowledge based on movies they've seen, and those are mostly movies that they were told to see, not something they've enjoyed, or understood or have an affection for

I couldn't make a list like this because it imposes a ranking system

Posts: 55 | From: Croatia | Registered: Sep 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home