iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » sequels, including the Nightmare ones and"Aliens"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sequels, including the Nightmare ones and"Aliens"
CPL Hicks
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 93

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for CPL Hicks   Email CPL Hicks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys,

Here's a question for ya ;-) How do you feel about sequels? I think there are some pretty good sequels out there, some better then there originals. Take "Aliens".
And there were some pretty good "Nightmare on elm street" sequels to, take "Dream Warriors "or "The Dream Master". Although they weren't as good as the original, there still gems. and hehe, I know many of you will dissagree with me, but take "Splash Too".

Sequels, just lessor efforts of the original, or essential continuations from the original??

Posts: 14 | From: South Shields, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally, I'd say that sequels tend to be inferior copies of the originals (Home Alone 3, Mannequin 2, Teen Wolf 2, Look Who's Talking <please insert number here>). There are exceptions, but these tend to be where there is either (a) a long gap between the movies (for example, Terminator 1 and 2, or the Die Hard series) or where the key plot elements lend themselves to a few movies (Alien, Star Trek even-numbered movies).

On the whole, I'd guess that I'd rather see originals than sequels, but here's a question - which movie would you have LIKED to see a sequel of? I think it'd be fun to see an Uncle Buck 2, if only for the fact that this would have meant one more John Candy movie before the great man's sad departure.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim olyphant waxed lyrical about sequels in Scream 2 (which was a good sequel) but for every Aliens theres a Speed 2 whilst theres just no need for proposed sequels to The lost boys or Ferris Bueller as it just undermines the orginals; stuff like Lethal Weapon works because its a standard cop show on a big scale

personally I'd have liked to have seen a final 3rd sequel for Ghostbusters just so the guys can go out with style!

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
HarryGlos
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 219

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for HarryGlos   Email HarryGlos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would love to have seen another "Ferris" film, not so much a sequel, but a next installment. There was a lot more we could have seen from Ferris and even Rooney.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
eelric
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 749

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for eelric   Email eelric   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess if I had to pick a few movies to make sequels of it would be:

E.T.

I would like to see friday the 13th finally make it to part 13

id4

and as many beverly hills cops as they want to make because eddie murphy is just awesome

Posts: 13 | Registered: Nov 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ
Rewind Curious
Member # 241

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JJ   Author's Homepage   Email JJ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have liked to see a 1980s sequel to Animal House. However, I suppose it would have suffered without Belushi.

Trainspotting just missed the 1980s but that deserves a sequel and one is being mad.

Posts: 2 | From: London/New York | Registered: Dec 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
CPL Hicks
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 93

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for CPL Hicks   Email CPL Hicks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best sequels are spaced out I'd say.
The downfall with the nightmare on elm street sequels were how rushed some of them were, nameley being parts 4 and 5 being released just 1 year after each other.

by the way eelric, there is a new Friday the 13th movie. Its called "Jason X" and is out in cinemas from March. It looks awesome from the trailers!

There is no doubt about it, I would have loved to see a sequel for "The Breakfast Club". To see what happend the monday after their saturday detention.

Posts: 14 | From: South Shields, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ
Rewind Curious
Member # 241

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JJ   Author's Homepage   Email JJ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another 48 Hours sucked too.
Posts: 2 | From: London/New York | Registered: Dec 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
eelric
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 749

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for eelric   Email eelric   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you for the info on friday the 13th. I have not seen the previews yet but i know i will enjoy it.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Nov 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home