iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Should I watch this? thread (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Should I watch this? thread
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely the single worst film in Gene Hackman's brilliant career. It's a disaster. Dan Aykroyd, perhaps the greatest sketch comedian of his generation, never found many movie roles that could sustain his style of humor for the length of a feature film. This is not one. He's trying so hard that he even does a Roadrunner impression. But it's all a dreadful waste of good talent.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow! that sounds bad crash,i don't think i could put up with 90 minutes or more of ackroyd over acting but saying that i did like doctor detroit and he was more than just a little ott in that one!

-

i see this 1985 drama/thriller - smooth talk starring treat williams and laura dern has just recieved a blu ray release,anyone know if it's worth checking out?

https://youtu.be/vQoGRvDvSlA - smooth talk trailer.

[ 18. December 2015, 18:02: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YW, I enjoyed Dr. Detroit too though I saw it again a couple of years ago for the first time in a long time, and I don't think that it has aged well. The sitcom-y elements are fairly obvious, and it's all pretty silly, but Aykroyd manages to save a lot of the material. His Dr. Detroit accent is priceless.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Has anyone braved this early Adam Sandler comedy before,from 1989 - going overboard featuring the likes of Burt young,billy zane,peter berg,billy bob thorton and Adam rifkin it features on imdb's bottom 25 movies - http://www.imdb.com/list/ls052651188?ref_=tt_rls_2 - is it really that bad?

- I think that's probably one of the most obvious and daftest questions I've asked in a long time

At number 23 on the list - the Tony Blair witch project [Big Grin]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
YW, I enjoyed Dr. Detroit too though I saw it again a couple of years ago for the first time in a long time, and I don't think that it has aged well. The sitcom-y elements are fairly obvious, and it's all pretty silly, but Aykroyd manages to save a lot of the material. His Dr. Detroit accent is priceless.

Crash what about - the couch trip have you seen that as that's another one I watched when first released but now can remember next to nothing about it.
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YW. Going Overboard is one of the worst movies I have ever seen.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loose Cannons definitely has it´s moments, as i said in the 90s section, it´s an entertaining mess [Smile]
The Couch Trip is better but not a classic by any means.

Going Overboard looks Sandlertastic [Big Grin]

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never Cry Wolf (1983)
Black Moon and Mean Streets (1970's)
Black Moon sounds like a supernatural version of the original Wicker Man
Should I watch any of them- they are all on TCM VOD

Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All very good !

Never Cry Wolf is kinda slow but worthwhile, intense and beautifully shot.

Mean Streets is classic Scorsese / De Niro, gritty NY cinema.. very powerful movie !

Black Moon is an acquired taste, to say the least. My advice : Feel free to explore.. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Johnny Roarke! I figured Mean Streets would be a yes. I'll probably watch one of them tonight.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

Thanks Johnny Roarke! I figured Mean Streets would be a yes. I'll probably watch one of them tonight.
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FREEFALL 1994

Anyone has any thoughts on this one?

-

[ 27. December 2015, 00:39: Message edited by: Peter Lemonjello ]

Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn... sorry for the huge scan.
Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Peter delete your image then copy and paste my image to your post,it should hopefully be a more compatible size!

Click the inverted commas at the top of this post which should copy everything from my post,copy just the (IMG) to (IMG) section.
Then press return,next thing delete your image and then copy and paste my image in its place.

By the way I have seen this movie way back when first released by Medusa home video here where i live in in the UK,can't remember a great deal from it but do vaguely remember thinking it weren't to bad!

[ 26. December 2015, 18:18: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
Done, thanks.

I also seem to vaguely remember watching it back in the day, but remember zero. It was reportedly prepped for theatrical release, but then demoted to DTV... which is rarely a good sign.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
https://youtu.be/smeTVN4Dqgc - Eric Roberts killcount from the movie - freefall,sure does look a lot cheesier than what I remember,saying that compared to the dreck that Eric Roberts stars in nowadays it looks like a masterpiece [Big Grin]
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
That's what is so telling about B-movies from the 80's and 90's compared to the same from the 00's and onwards. The odds that you'll enjoy some genre trash from the 80's and 90's are roughly 75-25. After that... almost 0-100.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
A couple of 80s comedies that I have seen upon original release but now can remember next to nothing about,apart from the odd scene or two.

First up -

-

Is Brian de Palma's 1986 mob comedy - wiseguys starring Danny devito,Harvey keitel and Joe piscopo.

And the next is -

-

The 1989 Bruce Beresford comedy - her alibi starrin
g tom selleck and the beautiful Paulina poriskova.

Worth checking out?

[ 31. December 2015, 12:34: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gonna check out Wise Guys next year because there will be Brian de Palma marathon during 2016.

Really liked Her Alibi, you can see my comments here: http://www.fast-rewind.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/5865.html#000000

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Atomik have you ever seen this 1987 sho kosugi flick -

-

It's quite reasonably priced on blu ray,I've got - revenge of the ninja what I think is a total blast I was wondering if this is not far of it?

I know it was directed by Gordon hessler who done the other fun kosugi flick - pray for death

Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
It's pretty damn bad, if you ask me. And I do enjoy ROTN.
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
ATomIK, Wise Guys, while second-tier DePalma, is very underrated. It has some hilarious stuff in it--former wrestler Captain Lou Albano is great--and DePalma never lets the pace drag. I like it a lot. If you are going to do a DePalma marathon, and you haven't seen his early comedies like Greetings and Hi Mom, you must. I read an old review from way back when--it might have been written by Vincent Canby of the New York Times--that said one day DePalma was going to direct a great comedy. Well, we all know that he took a different career path, but he always handles humor very well even in his super serious thrillers, like all the wonderful, funny lines Dennis Franz has in Dressed to Kill.

Also, having seen everything DePalma has directed, I went back and watched Get to Know Your Rabbit, his forgotten first studio film starring Tommy Smothers. I had only seen it once before, some 40 years ago, and didn't particularly like it. DePalma, the studio, and Smothers didn't get along, so DePalma got fired off of it. It was shelved for a long time. Upon rewatching it recently, I was pretty impressed. Yeah, you can tell that it was a troubled production, but some scenes are truly hilarious. And you can see DePalma already was a master craftsman early in his career. It's definitely worth a look too.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks for the tips Crash. I sure would watch his earlier films that you mentioned if only i could find them.
I´ll keep digging but i´m afraid that i have to start with Sisters (1973) which i´ve seen once but don´t remember much.

warrior, i own Rage of Honor on dvd but actually never seen it.
But i´m ready for some ninja action, maybe even today [Smile]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Get to Know Your Rabbit is still up on Youtube. Greetings and Hi, Mom are going to be tough to find, but they are often available on Youtube. Dionysus in 69, DePalma's rarest film, is available to stream from the New York University film archive.
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Mom is available on both region 1 and region 2 dvd from MGM :

-

In fact it's even been released here in Holland as well.

Hi, Mom also occasionally turns up on the AMC channel here.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home