iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2015) A/K/A 31 Days of Horror (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2015) A/K/A 31 Days of Horror
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

7/10 - a whole lot better than i expected given some of the early reviews,nic cage gives a more restrained performance than usual,he's actually pretty good here,plus there's a couple of cool little jump scares along the way,set on halloween night over consecutive years this would make for a pretty good halloween night's viewing!

https://youtu.be/SYkoAc-So1Y - pay the ghost trailer.

also watched sam raimi's excellent 1990 fantasy darkman starring liam neeson and frances mcdormand,had not seen this since it's original release and really enjoyed it! 8/10.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
nic cage gives a more restrained performance than usual

Oh. You've ruined it now [Frown]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I gotta say thinking about it I think I actually prefer it when he goes completely bonkers o.t.t like in vampire's kiss and the bad lieutenant.

I know he gets quite a bit of stick but I actually don't dislike nicolas cage,I think my favourite performance from him is in Alan Parker's - birdy and probably my least fave was - Peggy sue got married,God he was annoying in that!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to go with Wild At Heart, Raising Arizona, Bad Lieutenant for fave performances [Smile] Maybe Snake Eyes for worst.
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre IV: The Next Generation - This is dreadful but at least I saw the funny side this time. 4/10

Corpse Bride - 10/10

This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse - A good sequel to At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul. Although the repetitive rants in the first half could be a bit irritating. The Hell scene was totally weird and wonderful. And you gotta love his courage test! 7/10

Scream Blacula Scream - Not as good as the first but still good fun. I want one of those Blacula voodoo dolls! 7/10

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
29th Oct: Alien (1979)  - /10

"The commercial vessel Nostromo receives a distress call from an unexplored planet. After searching for survivors, the crew heads home only to realize that a deadly bioform has joined them."

-

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It goes without saying:

"Bring him some water!" "Water....! Bring this guy some Pepto Bismol!!"....."Oh no!!! Not again!!!!!!"

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Watched the daft but very enjoyable 1990 horror - the guardian from director William friedkin (the exorcist) starring the beautiful jenny seagrove and Carey lowell,fun 90s horror with a large dose of gore and nudity plus a cool music score - https://youtu.be/MCOIAuz43nU by jack hues.

A lot of fun - 7.5/10.

https://youtu.be/THRn3GQD20s- the guardian trailer.

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Psycho (1960) - On the big screen with live orchestra. Wow!! - 10/10

Embodiment Of Evil - I liked this more than I did first time around. It's not a patch on the first 2 films (At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul, This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse) and some parts are a bit too vile for vile sake. But otherwise it is quite a fun end to the trilogy with Coffin Joe still as nutty as ever! 6/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The first time I decide not to ignore the Trick or Treaters and get some treats in and not one knock haha
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
So finished October off with:

Spooky Bats And Scaredy Cats - A cute stop motion short I always have to watch. 8/10

Goblin (2010) - 6/10

Trick 'R Treat (2007) - 9/10

Season's Greetings (1996) - The original short cartoon for Trick 'R Treat. 8/10

Halloween III: Season Of The Witch - 10/10

Halloween (1978) - 10/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
However [Razz] I've extended mine to 5th November as in my mind Bonfire Night is the last day of the Halloween period tehehe [Razz]
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

A fun,sleazy entry in the long running Friday the 13th series that ups the bodycount but lowers the suspense from previous instalments.

The kills this time around are pretty bloodless affairs as the MPAA were really starting to come down hard on the series by this time!

-

Not very highly regarded by Friday fans I think this gets a bit of a undeserved bad rap as while it's not amongst the best in the series it's still leaps and bounds better than - Jason takes Manhattan(8),Jason goes to hell(9) and Jason x(10).

I'd rate it a solid 7/10,I think it's a pretty entertaining 90 minutes or so!

https://youtu.be/OXgvQ-zvzKY - Friday the 13th part 5 - a new beginning trailer

One last thing for anyone interested this looks pretty good on blu ray,colors are more distinct and there's a lot more clarity in the many outdoor daytime/night time scenes.

The sound is 5.1 DTS HD surround but it may as well kept to the original mono track as there was very little going on in my rear speakers,still sounded good though!

-

Well I never quite managed a horror film a day but I still managed a fair few,actually I'll keep going on this thread till bonfire night then it will make up for some of the days I missed.

[ 02. November 2015, 09:05: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Yay!

That middle pic is divine!

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
However I've extended mine to 5th November as in my mind Bonfire Night is the last day of the Halloween period tehehe

Great minds...

* = 1st viewing

1st Oct: * Evil Dead (2013) 6/10
2nd Oct: Trick 'r Treat (2007) 8/10
3rd Oct: * Ghoulies (1984) 3.5/10 & Ghoulies II (1988) 4.5/10
4th Oct: The Fog (1980) 8.5/10
5th Oct: * Savage Weekend (1979) 3/10
6th Oct: * Christine (1983) 7/10
7th Oct:  -
8th Oct: * Dawn of The Dead (2004) 7.5/10
9th Oct:  -
10th Oct: From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) 7.5/10
11th-17th Oct:  -
18th Oct: * Alligator (1980) 6/10 & * He Knows You're Alone (1980) 6/10
19th-26th Oct:  -
27th Oct: * Tales From The Crypt - Demon Knight (1996) 7/10
28th Oct: Alien (1979) 10/10
30th Oct:  -
31st Oct: Halloween (1978) 10/10
1st Nov: Day Of The Dead (1985) 8.5/10

Tonight:

-

"André Toulon is a puppet maker and the best of the kind. One day he happens upon an old Egyptian formula able to create life, so he decides to give life to his puppets. "

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
[Big Grin]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Fright Night (2011) - 4/10

Offerings - An awful, unashamed rip off of Halloween and other slashers around the time. Right down to a Supermarket's own brand Halloween theme. But gosh it is bloody good fun with it. 5/10

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Last night I watched the daft but fun Christmas horror comedy -Santa's slay which i didn't realise was filmed as far back as 2005,for some reason I thought it was a lot newer than what it is,I've got a gut feeling it took quite a few years after its original release to actually reach these shores!

Starring ex American wrestler bill Goldberg as a musclebound killer santa and featuring cameos from the likes of James caan,Robert culp and rebecca gayheart this as you'd imagine is all incredibilly silly stuff (one look at the trailer
https://youtu.be/W0nDG91hVu0 will tell you that)but if watched in the right frame of mind it's also a lot of fun!

Not for everyone as some will find it a bit to silly but I think in general most people will probably get a laugh out of it!

6.5/10

-

[ 03. November 2015, 12:13: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Love Santa's Slay. Don't use that PC **** with me, it's Christmas, so wish me a Merry Christmas! [Big Grin]

I just watched American Mary, about a broke medical student who gets caught up in an underground world of freakish surgeries. There's some cracking revenge too! 8/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
So I finished off with:

High Spirits (1988) - 6/10

Hatchet (2006) - 5/10 This cack keeps pulling me back year after year!

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
2nd-4th Nov:  -
5th Nov: * Cujo (1983) 6/10

-

"A friendly St. Bernard named "Cujo" contracts rabies and conducts a reign of terror on a small American town."

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home