iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2015) A/K/A 31 Days of Horror (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2015) A/K/A 31 Days of Horror
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"A seven member gymnastics team at the Falcon Academy of Athletics is up for the "Nationals". But before they can reach the competition,
a killer dressed in a black tracksuit and wielding a javelin shows up to stalk and kill each member of the team.
They then have to discover the killer's identity before the entire team ends up slaughtered." (Wikipedia)

Fatal Games aka Olympic Nightmare (1984) was a pretty decent slasher flick. Much like Graduation Day (1981) but not quite as good.
Few surprises here plotwise and of course the weapon our killer uses is not often seen in horror flicks.
Cool Shuki Levy penned theme tune, lots of nudity, crazy steroid injecting doctor and Lynn Banashek was quite cute as Annie. Not bad.

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched Home For the Holidays (1972) with Sally Field. The VHS cover art always intrigued me as a kid. Movie was just ok.

I DVRed Phantasm II and plan on rewatchi g it soon.

I watchec Monkey Shines a few weeks ago.

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone mentioned Dolly Dearest...I LOVE that movie lol.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched the 2014 horror musical - stage fright starring meat loaf aday,allie mcdonald and in a very small role minie driver,really enjoyed this campy horror musical,the songs were fun,the kills were gory and the cast were great.

Loved the way they mixed heavy metal with opera and this is coming from someone who doesn't particularly like musicals though that being said they do seem to keep the musical numbers down to a bare minimum and I would say it's not like something along the lines of Sweeney Todd where it seemed to be one song after another!

-

https://youtu.be/XW-ySDq2pAg - stage fright trailer

A lot of fun and comes recommended 7.5/10.

https://youtu.be/ASEI0JvpuO8 - the metal killers medley - this song over the end credits was absolutely bonkers!

[ 10. October 2015, 18:15: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Is the killers javelin atomik the same as Lamar's bendy javelin in - the revenge of the nerds - https://youtu.be/tCWz9U0MtoI

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha, this looks more like a real thing.
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched Herschell Gordon Lewis: The Godfather of Gore (2010).

Entertaining and fun documentary.

-

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wishmaster - This was a pretty interesting cool flick. And I got way too excited at Reggie Bannister's cameo. 7/10

Piranha (2010) - I felt dumber after watching this. Dreadful. 2/10

Elvira's Haunted Hills - This is ok. But unlike Mistress a lot of the gags here felt incredibly forced. 6/10

Saw VII: The Final Chapter - A fantastic ending, woo. Didn't see that coming. 6/10

Casper (1995) - I've put this off all of these years because I love the old cartoon. But it was just adoreable. I cried. 8/10

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Watched the really ace empire pictures horror western - ghost town from 1988 starring franc luz (the nest) and Catherine hickland which features a terrific music score by Richard band which is the same as he used in the great 1984 toxic zombie horror - mutant starring wings Hauser.

Really enjoyed this one and whole heartedly recommend it to any fans of empire pictures or to horror fans in general.

Looks fab on the new blu ray as well from scream factory!

8/10.

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mazes And Monsters - This was quite depressing. 6/10

Leatherface: The Texas Chain Saw Massacre III - By far my favourite outside of the original. 7/10

Children Of The Corn IV: The Gathering - From the madness of the 3rd film to the uber seriousness of this one. A decent little story and a nice cast. 6/10

Book Of Blood - Based on a Clive Barker short story. Had some nice bits here and there but overall pretty dull. 5/10

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Watched the 1988 horror sequel - sleepaway camp 2 - unhappy campers starring Pamela Springsteen and renee estevez - a really fun entry in the sleepaway camp series this which differs a lot from the 1983 cult classic original - for starters things have gotten a whole lot sillier this time around with this second part in this popular horror franchise feeling like it's mostly being played out for laughs,that's not to say that none of the horror aspect of it works as a few of the murders are delightfully gory and there's the odd one that actually feels quite mean spirited - the two pot head sisters being burnt alive being just the one example.

-

Pamela Springsteen is terrific here as the deranged camp counselor angela and went on to reprise her role in the following years - sleepaway camp 3 - teenage wasteland (1989) and what i'd say about the film is that as long as you don't take it too seriously then i think the chances are you'll probably have a total blast with it as it moves along at a cracking pace and features a sky high body count,ample nudity and plenty of laughs!

Well worth checking out 7.5/10.

https://youtu.be/AgwuxLhKMHM - sleepaway camp 2 - unhappy campers trailer.

-

[ 15. October 2015, 12:18: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Not watched the film this Halloween season yet but just picked up the awesome soundtrack on CD for under 4 UK pounds which I'm pretty pleased with.

I know it's had a German blu ray release but elsewhere in the world this title seems to be quite neglected,here in the UK we have to make do with a no frills full screen DVD and I think stateside it's the same which is a pity really as I think it's a really fun film!

https://youtu.be/cnllTVtpOlg - fastaway - trick or treat .

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Love Trick or Treat and also have the soundtrack cd.

The Sleepaway Camp films are good ones. I don´t remember if we´ve discussed this before but the girl on the cover looks a lot like Saundra Santiago.

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Under The Skin (2013) - It was odd and interesting enough I suppose. But couldn't see myself bothering again. Left me with a so what feeling afterwards. 6/10

Children Of The Corn V: Fields Of Terror - I was clock watching throughout this one. 4/10

Devil May Call - Ten a penny psycho flick. 4/10

I also watched these 2 short Halloween Safety vids, one from the 70s, one 80s. The first one especially is a hoot [Big Grin]

https://vimeo.com/6825745

https://vimeo.com/6942726

[ 18. October 2015, 04:10: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Helen, the Something Weird Video label released tons of these safety / educational vids, mostly from the 60's / early 70's.

They can be found as bonus features on nearly every dvd release they ever did.. and yes, they are hilarious indeed ! [Big Grin]

Sadly though, they stopped releasing dvd's after their distribution partnership with Image Entertainment came to an end.

Founder of Something Weird Video Mike Vraney passed away last year at age 56 after battling lung-cancer. [Frown]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Watched the 1990 action/horror sequel - maniac cop 2 which is again directed by william lustig and also has the late robert z'dar returning to his role as the monstrous maniac cop,both bruce campbell and laurene landon also briefly show up from the first film with things this time being handed over into the capable hands of Robert davi and Claudia christian.

-

Really enjoyable sequel to the 1988 original which ups the crazy stunt work and has some really superb action set pieces,i thought the supporting cast was pretty decent this time around as well with the likes of Michael Lerner,leo rossi,Charles napier and Clarence Williams who was so creepy as one of the blackmailers in John frankenheimers - 52 pick up.

Also keep an eye out for Danny trejo in the prison scene towards the end.

I really like the first 2 maniac cop films and I don't actually dislike part 3 either even though it's not up to the standards of the previous two entries I do know it did have a very troubled production http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104808/trivia so I think it can be slightly excused.

As much as I like part 2 I've got to say i still think the original is my favourite!

https://youtu.be/0QDIK6zkSTo - maniac cop 2 trailer.

-

One thing I've not mentioned is this looks seriously good on blu ray (us blue underground region free release) and completely blows away any previous versions that I've seen and is definitely the way to go if your ever thinking off picking up maniac cop 2 on disc.

[ 18. October 2015, 07:43: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:

I also watched these 2 short Halloween Safety vids, one from the 70s, one 80s. The first one especially is a hoot [Big Grin]

https://vimeo.com/6825745

https://vimeo.com/6942726

I think that kid at the beginning should have just given up and gone home,talk about clumsy keep tripping up like that!

Good thing Michael Myers watched this safety video before he went on his Halloween night massacre I don't reckon he would have lasted 5 minutes otherwise,probably got run over by a car or something.

That Or he would have tripped over the kerb [Big Grin]

[ 18. October 2015, 08:00: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Haha Warrior, you nutter [Big Grin]

I def need to see more of these Johnny [Razz] [Big Grin]

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
I really like the first 2 maniac cop films and I don't actually dislike part 3 either even though it's not up to the standards of the previous two entries I do know it did have a very troubled production http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104808/trivia so I think it can be slightly excused.

In the retrospective featurette The Wrong Arm Of The Law ; The Making Of Maniac Cop 3
(included on Blue Underground's Maniac Cop 3 combopack release), William Lustig says :
,..I hate the movie.. I can't stand it.. It's torture for me to watch.. It was a situation where
everyone got to pi$$ in the pot, and that's exactly what they got.. A pot full of pi$$..' [Big Grin]

It really isn't that bad, not by a long shot.. but Lustig clearly doesn't have fond memories making Maniac Cop 3.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1st Oct: Evil Dead (2013) Rating: 6/10
2nd Oct: Trick 'r Treat (2007) Rating: 8/10
3rd Oct: Ghoulies (1984) Rating: 3.5/10 | Ghoulies II (1988) Rating: 4.5/10
4th Oct: The Fog (1980) Rating: 8.5/10
5th Oct: Savage Weekend (1979) Rating: 3/10
6th Oct: Christine (1983) Rating: 7/10
7th Oct:  -
8th Oct: Dawn of The Dead (2004) Rating: 7.5/10
9th Oct:  -
10th Oct: From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) Rating: 7.5/10
11th-17th Oct:  -
18th Oct: * Alligator (1980)  - /10 | * He Knows You're Alone (1980)  - /10

-  -

[ 19. October 2015, 06:11: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by J2ME:
11th-17th Oct:  -

[Eek!]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
I just made my first pumpkin soup, well more of a stew really. And it was delicious! [Big Grin]
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like pumpkin soup. And I really like Under the Skin, a creepy one-of-a-kind experience. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
[Smile]

Children Of The Corn 666: Isaac's Return - And that's about the only reason to watch this one. He manages to look creepier older  - 4/10

The House With Laughing Windows - I have no idea how I could of forgotten the amazing ending to this untypical Giallo. But I'm beyond happy that I did. Wow, was that evil  - 8/10

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The House with Windows that Laugh (I've always preferred that title.) Pupi Avati! Have you seen Zeder a/k/a Voices from the Beyond a/k/a Revenge of the Dead? Avati can make a swaying tree branch or a gust of wind frightening. Every time I walk past a cemetery at night I think of THAT scene in Zeder. If I ever get the chance to program movies at a Con, there's going to be a Pupi Avati double feature starting at midnight, followed by Robot Monster. Just because! Aside: There was an on-line campaign by the Alamo Drafthouse Theater to get enough funds to remaster an obscure 70s film called The Astrologer from its only remaining print. If you contributed $500, you would get to program a double feature on Wednesday night at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, Texas, and introduce the movies on stage. Sadly, I learned about the campaign too late so there was no Pupi Avati night.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home