iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2015) A/K/A 31 Days of Horror (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2015) A/K/A 31 Days of Horror
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Helen and I have seen just about every Hammer Film so I think you can trust our opinions. [Smile] I agree with her assessment on the so-called "Karnstein triology." "The Vampire Lovers" is a masterpiece, just excellent, and one of the earliest mainstream erotic vampire films. The first sequel, "Lust for a Vampire," always gets a bad rap--it has a dreadful pop song on the soundtrack that everyone hates--but it is actually good. For years, I thought "Twins of Evil" was overrated, but last year I saw a beautifully remastered UK version of it on a big drive-in screen, and I must say, I know why people like it. It's got lots of great stuff--Peter Cushing as a witch hunter, vampires, beautiful girls, nudity, violence, fast pace... It's growing on me big time. [Smile]

If you are looking at late-period 70s Hammer, I also highly recommend "Hands of the Ripper," "Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter," and the wonderful "Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde." They are all so well made, colorful, and entertaining.

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, yes, yes!! Also Vampire Circus is another one from that time I'd highly recommend [Smile]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, darn! How could I forget "Vampire Circus," an outstanding Hammer!
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Dr. Alice Dodgson gets her medical license revoked after the death of a patient. She's facing the possibility of not getting any job when she accepts to be the nurse
for one young man who suffers of cephalitis called Wesley Claybourne. Aside from the sickness he's suffering Wesley believes he has been "touched" by some voodoo cult.
While she stays in Jamaica, Dr. Dodgson will feel uncomfortable as she discovers that voodoo is not only a "state of mind" and could be a real threat to her life and Wesley's.
She'll have to discover why she and her patient are targets of the voodoo curse." (IMDb)

Watched Ritual (2002) which is a third film spin-off from the HBO television series Tales from the Crypt. It´s based on the film I Walked with a Zombie (1943).
I liked this one, it´s not a perfect movie by any means but i love the Jamaica locations and atmosphere.
The cast rocks: Jennifer Grey, Graig Sheffer, Daniel Lapaine, Kristen Wilson and Tim Curry did a very good job. Grey looks stunning and i think that she´s much prettier after her nose job.
Jamaican voodoo, sweaty bodies, few nasty kills, cool soundtrack plus nightmares and delusions. Entertaining stuff!

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Ritual was alright. I wouldn't say it was better than Tales From the Crypt's previous and more popular releases Bordello of Blood & Demon Knight though.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't mind checking ritual out,at one time they did release it on a really cheap blu ray but I've got a feeling it went out of print!

Demon knight is definitely my favourite so far,bordello of blood was OK but certainly not up to its predecessor.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Nora is a young tourist traveling through Rome which takes a sudden turn when she witnesses a murder by a serial killer that the police have sought for years for the so-called Alphabet Killings,
and Nora soon finds herself in way-over-her-head trouble when the police want her cooperation to catch the killer while the mystery killer soon targets her for his next victim." (IMDb)

Watched Mario Bava film The Girl Who Knew too Much (1963).
Few very good set pieces in this one but otherwise it´s a bit uneven film. I believe that they were making comedy first but Bava liked the mystery part more.
The Girl Who Knew too Much is considered to be the first giallo film and it´s Bava´s last film shot in black and white and you gotta love the cinematography in this one.
Very Hitchcock in places (even the name) and i like the lead actress Leticia Roman and John Saxon gives a solid performance.
The film was called Evil Eye in the US. I watched the original italian cut but i´m going to check out the US version too because it seems quite different.

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way. That's one of Bava's best!
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I agree with Helen. I think that The Girl Who Knew Too Much is one of Bava's best. I don't know if Hitchcock ever saw it, but if he did, I'm sure that he'd have liked it. It's totally his style. It's pretty much a trendsetter too, if you think about it: a proto-giallo film. The next year, Bava directed a true giallo, Blood and Black Lace...in color!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

"An American family moves to Mexico to fabricate dolls, but their toy factory happens to be next to a Sanzian grave and the toys come into possession of an old, malicious spirit."

Dolly Dearest (1991) was a pretty lame Child´s Play rip-off. It has some potential but the plot, lousy acting and dialog plus lame kills make it impossible to enjoy this one.
You can find much better evil doll films out there.

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Saw VI - This was actually quite good fun. Better than 3, 4 and 5. 6/10

Elvira: Mistress Of The Dark - Naff but a laugh [Razz] 7/10

Children Of The Corn (1984) - This is good but I admit that probably the 8th point is for nostalgia. 8/10

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) - 10/10

Children Of The Corn II: The Final Sacrifice - Apart from a few fun deaths this is a really corny (  - ) and pretty dreadful sequel. Now I'm scared rewatching these again. The only one that will be new to me is part 8. 4/10

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I´ve only seen the first two CotC films but i´ve heard that the third movie is so OTT crazy that it´s good [Cool]
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about The Garfield Halloween special? It's a must!
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"A nerdish boy buys a strange car with an evil mind of its own and his nature starts to change to reflect it."

This was much better than I'd imagined. I'm glad I finally got round to seeing it!  -

1st Oct: Evil Dead (2013) Rating: 6/10
2nd Oct: Trick 'r Treat (2007) Rating: 8/10
3rd Oct: Ghoulies (1984) Rating: 3.5/10 | Ghoulies II (1988) Rating: 4.5/10
4th Oct: The Fog (1980) Rating: 8.5/10
5th Oct: Savage Weekend (1979) Rating: 3/10
6th Oct: * Christine (1983) Rating:  - /10
7th Oct: Nothing  -
8th Oct: * Dawn of The Dead (2004) Rating:  - /10

-

"A nurse, a policeman, a young married couple, a salesman, and other survivors of a worldwide plague that is producing aggressive, flesh-eating zombies, take refuge in a mega Midwestern shopping mall."

[ 09. October 2015, 04:50: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

A hopeful young starlet uncovers the ominous origins of the Hollywood elite and enters into a deadly agreement in exchange for fame and fortune - from imdb.

Watched the 2014 horror - starry eyes last night and i think this is one film i can definitely see not being to everyone's taste and what I'd say is if you don't do strange then i would seriously look elsewhere as this gets pretty weird and way out there at times especially towards the end.

I myself thought it was not to bad overall and it sort of reminded me of a David cronenberg/Dario argento mix up,it has this dream like atmosphere to it and there's this recurring tune that plays throughout which sounds a bit like a children's lull a bye and it seriously got stuck in my head.

-

The last 20 minutes or so are something of an eye opener as well after what is a pretty restrained and mostly bloodless first hour it then becomes a bit of an all out bloodbath and features one of The most outrageously gory on screen murders I've seen in a long time.

Not bad but definitely approach with caution! 7/10

https://youtu.be/2JbO0eIc3jM - starry eyes trailer.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
Saw VI - This was actually quite good fun. Better than 3, 4 and 5. 6/10

Elvira: Mistress Of The Dark - Naff but a laugh [Razz] 7/10

Children Of The Corn (1984) - This is good but I admit that probably the 8th point is for nostalgia. 8/10

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) - 10/10

Children Of The Corn II: The Final Sacrifice - Apart from a few fun deaths this is a really corny (  - ) and pretty dreadful sequel. Now I'm scared rewatching these again. The only one that will be new to me is part 8. 4/10

I agree saw 6 is a step up on those,I love Elvira mistress of the dark it's one I need to pick up on DVD,children of the corn I have the blu ray which I really enjoy but have never seen as far as I can remember any of the sequels.

https://youtu.be/3LTwLDiDRJU - this scene from children of the corn 2 [Big Grin]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
I´ve only seen the first two CotC films but i´ve heard that the third movie is so OTT crazy that it´s good [Cool]

I'll be watching that one later tonight!
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
You know that scene is one of my points Warrior! [Big Grin]

Cronenberg/Argento mix up sounds great!

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yep, i'm definitely interested in Starry Eyes now !

Sounds like my kind of thing. [Smile]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I think both you and Helen would probably like it johnny as I know your both big fans of cronenberg and it's that same sort of weirdness that dominates most of his flicks.

I'm actually just done watching this Stephen king film adaption -

-

2004's - riding the bullet directed by Mick garris and starring the likes of Barbara Hershey,cliff robertson and David arquette I enjoyed this one quite a bit,I thought it was pretty decent.

Never read kings novel on which is based so I don't how it plays out compared to the book but I was quite impressed,it is pretty trippy and a bit all over the place but yeah it is good fun and judging by the scores over on imdb slightly underappreciated i'd say.

https://youtu.be/RdlCnaz4AAA - riding the bullet trailer.

This is actually the second time that i have watched this and i'd probably rate about a 7.5/10 and yeah I'd say it's well worth checking out for Stephen king and horror fans alike!

-

The wooden rollercoaster (the bullet) at vancouver's playland which features in stephen kings - riding the bullet and also features in the fun 1996 thriller - fear starring mark wahlberg and Reese Witherspoon.

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Yeah, Riding The Bullet is quite enjoyable [Smile]
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Has anyone seen the leprechaun series of films and if so what are they like,are they any good?

Tonight I watched 1981's - the nesting.

-

Plot summary - A writer suffering from agoraphobia rents an isolated house so she can concentrate on her writing. She doesn't know that the house is a former brothel, and is inhabited by the ghosts of dead prostitutes- from imdb.

- The nesting a haunted house horror starring robin groves (silver bullet) and in a small role horror veteran John carradine,quite enjoyed this one and used to have it on vhs,it does have its faults for starters it feels slightly overlong but that aside it's pretty good.

The octagonal house that is used really looks the part and there is a couple of stand out grisly kills,robin groves plays her lead role very well and her scream is enough to blow the windows out.

All this and a good creepy atmosphere makes this a none to bad early 80s haunted house horror. 7/10.

https://youtu.be/7lgFhAWkI-4- the nesting trailer.

One last thing this looks pretty darn good on blue underground's us region free blu ray release.

[ 09. October 2015, 07:02: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre II - I appreciate what they were trying to do with this one and it is a lot of fun once she falls into their home. But it just doesn't entirely work for me and always takes a bit to get into it. 6/10

The Lost Continent (1968) - I am like a little kid Christmas morning watching a Hammer for the first time. This was an odd one. Slow start but then descended into the madness of pirates, killer seaweed, giant crab like and tentacled things, a weird cult lol. 7/10

Children Of The Corn III: Urban Harvest - This one, especially that ending, wow, is indeed nutso Atomik. And a big step up from part 2. 6/10

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Not really a fan of The Lost Continent, but to be honest, I haven't seen it since I was about 13 or 14. It's probably worth another look like Moon Zero Two, which I positively hated as a kid, but I saw it again recently, and it was kind of fun in a campy way.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

watched the very entertaining 2014 horror - girl house about a college student kylie who to help pay her tuition fees joins a online porn chat site known as girls house (basically like a porno version of the big brother house with cameras in each room) which is based at a luxurious hidden mansion.

trouble is she catches the eye of a warped killer who also happens to be a computer nut who one day sends kylie his picture while chatting and which one of kylies room mates then prints out and pins up on the wall where they then write on it ridiculing his appearance.

-

on the killers next online chat he zooms in on his picture hanging on the wall seeing that the girls have poked fun at him and he decides it's time to teach them a lesson!

this was a bit of a blast,it was filled to the brim with brutal kills and non stop nudity and based around a really fun plot,the killer was a
bit of a bad *** that wore what looked like a blow up doll face mask (i kid you not) [Big Grin] and looked really freaky at times.

-

https://youtu.be/DVwu1qIQRgw - girl house trailer.

i'd rate it a 7.5/10.

[ 09. October 2015, 16:59: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home