iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Hard to find movies - VHS or DVD (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hard to find movies - VHS or DVD
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
And where are those damn Godfrey Ho 80's ninja flicks when you need 'em ?? [Big Grin]

-

is that ninja headband johnny so that people don't mistake him for a banana!
Don't get me started about this movie. I know I may come across as cynical sometimes but I am only ever trying to be honest with my reviews of movies (I despise getting a good review of a movie only to find out it's garbage). This movie even for a ninja movie is absolutely atrocious but if your aim is to get a good laugh from an unintentional comedy then you can't go wrong with this flick. It is so bad it's good  -
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been looking for License To Drive for ages! However, I can't seem to find it. It came out in 1987.
Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It came out in 1988. I am psychotic for knowing the years of movies [Smile] The whole movie is on You Tube

License to Drive You Tube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AyvzIdtLK0

It's a great movie by the way [Wink]

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie_Lomax:
It came out in 1988. I am psychotic for knowing the years of movies [Smile] The whole movie is on You Tube

License to Drive You Tube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AyvzIdtLK0

It's a great movie by the way [Wink]

Oh yeah, I was typing so fast I forgot to put 1988 and put the wrong date instead. I've seen the film loads of times, I just can't find the DVD of it.
Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I dare say that you would find the DVD if you kept looking. I would be quite confident that it would have had a DVD release.
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie_Lomax:
I dare say that you would find the DVD if you kept looking. I would be quite confident that it would have had a DVD release.

I'm pretty sure it had a DVD release, it was well received at the box office. [Smile] I might just have to look on Amazon. [Wink]
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

this has never had a dvd or blu ray release and the vhs is very scarce,it's hostage aka hostage:the christine maresch story from 1983 based on true events during the early 80s in australia about a wife who discovers her husband is a terrorist and a member of the nazi party.

saw this years back and i remember it being a pretty solid thriller and the fact it was based on true events made it even more rivetting!

[ 23. May 2015, 10:38: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own Hostage vhs tape but it´s another film i haven´t had time to check out yet.
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Not seen hostage in quite some time atomik but I do remember thinking it was a pretty tense movie and also that if I ever got the chance that I would pick up my own copy.

I originally watched the old uk Medusa home video vhs rental tape which had some pretty ace cover art which as we know was the norm for a lot of there releases.

When you do get chance atomik give it a watch I reckon you'd probably like it!

[ 23. May 2015, 13:38: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

this is one film that seems to have more or less vanished and that is the 1986 comedy - miracles starring tom conti,terri garr and paul rodriguez.

anyone ever checked this one out?

-

also the the 1988 boxoffice flop - vibes that managed to recoup less than 2 million dollars of its 18 million dollar budget starring cyndi lauper,jeff goldblum and the late peter falk.

this was given a us dvd release back in february 2009 but has long gone out of print,the vhs is pretty scarce also.

i'm sure there will be a few rewinders that have checked this one out at somepoint!

anygood?

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly have never heard of Vibes. It sounds like a good 80's movie. I just found out last week that Jeff Goldblum is my dentist's cousin. Every few years my dentist's family has a reunion, and if he can, he comes to the family reunion,
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
When I was doing film school the producer for Wolf Creek gave a talk. She said that with all the money that goes into making a movie and to make it worth while you need to make at least 5 times what the budget was. So even a movie that recouped more than the budget can still be considered a flop. Vibes sounds like it done really well [Big Grin]
I do actually remember seeing this at the video store but never hired it.

Never heard of Miracles.

Dentistry seems to be a preferred occupation of actors relatives / siblings. Near where I live Richard Roxburgh's brother is also a dentist.

You should try to wangle an invite to the Goldblum family reunion. I bet Jeff Goldblum would be a pretty cool bloke to talk to. Just don't arm wrestle him [Wink]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen both Miracles and Vibes and wouldn't waste my time with either. In fact, Vibes was a large-scale disaster in its attempt to make singer Cindy Lauper a movie star. The thing tanked so badly that it was in and out of theatres in a week during the summer of 1988. Biggest problem with it was that Goldblum, one of the most intelligent and likable actors, had less than zero chemistry with ditsy non-actress Lauper. But I didn't expect much from the director of Sesame Street Presents: Follow that Bird, Ken Kwapis, whose style is more suited to TV.

I think that you are right, Bernie. Jeff Goldblum is a Pittsburgh guy, and from what I've heard, super nice and interesting. He'd be fun to have a beer with, and, yeah, I'd stay away from the armwrestling. [Smile]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own Vibes on vhs and watched it around ´08 but remember hardly anything. Needs a re-watch.
Anyone seen the ´91 Cyndi Lauper film Off and Running? I have also that one and i think i´m going to have a Cyndi night soon [Smile]

-

[ 25. May 2015, 02:59: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
I have seen both Miracles and Vibes and wouldn't waste my time with either. In fact, Vibes was a large-scale disaster in its attempt to make singer Cindy Lauper a movie star. The thing tanked so badly that it was in and out of theatres in a week during the summer of 1988. Biggest problem with it was that Goldblum, one of the most intelligent and likable actors, had less than zero chemistry with ditsy non-actress Lauper. But I didn't expect much from the director of Sesame Street Presents: Follow that Bird, Ken Kwapis, whose style is more suited to TV.

I think that you are right, Bernie. Jeff Goldblum is a Pittsburgh guy, and from what I've heard, super nice and interesting. He'd be fun to have a beer with, and, yeah, I'd stay away from the armwrestling. [Smile]

So, I take it that you're not going to positively contribute to my Sesame Street Presents: Follow that Bird thread?

So, Lauper was ditsy? I kinda always thought she would not be like that for some reason. It surprises me after that box office bomb that she would have managed to get any movie role. As a director I would have been like, "So Cyndi, have you ever done any film before?" with Cyndi answering "Have you heard of the 88 flop, Vibes?"

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have several copies of Vibes left on VHS. I agree its not great by any means but it takes me back to the eighties even though it is a nineties release.
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home