iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Hard to find movies - VHS or DVD (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hard to find movies - VHS or DVD
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What movies have you been searching for that are hard to find? I know Rad and The Wild life are two.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a bunch that are becoming harder to find...

Maid to Order
Hot Moves
Heavenly Bodies
Gimme An F

Even a VHS is pretty expensive on Amazon for some of these titles. [Frown]

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For years i've been looking forward to a proper release of Shy People (1987).. but no such luck ! [Frown]

-

I do have it on video, taped from British television sometime in the mid-90's.. so i probably
will hang on to that until something better comes along, hopefully.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cassandra (great horror movie)
Breaking All the Rules

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own all of the above mentioned films on finnish VHS tapes but i haven´t seen them on sale here anymore. Rare stuff all over the world.
They release all obscure horror films on blu-ray now but they have forgotten other genres completely!

Here´s few titles i can´t find:

Times Square (1980)
Certain Fury (1985)
Enemy Territory (1987)

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anchor Bay released Times Square on dvd back in 2000.. but it has long been out-of-print.

You can still get a copy though on Amazon.. for only $ 119,95 ! [Razz]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pocket money [Big Grin]
Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got hot moves on DVD as well as a budget DVD release of breaking all the rules,shy people looks good johnny,certain fury and enemy territory are really awesome,don't ever give up looking for them atomik as I'd reckon you'd really like them.

I've also got wild life on vhs

Here's a few I can think off

-
3:15 (1985)

The Kindred (1987)
Hunter's blood (1987)

-
Death vengeance (1982)aka fighting back

Thunder alley (1985)
Retribution (1987)

Like cindymancini mentions it's the ridiculous prices some people want for them that stops you in your tracks.

Maid to order which is a fun film goes for about 70 UK pounds (over 100 dollars) here in the uk,unless you got money to burn that is a bit extravagant!

[ 22. May 2015, 15:44: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
Anchor Bay released Times Square on dvd back in 2000.. but it has long been out-of-print.

You can still get a copy though on Amazon.. for only $ 119,95 ! [Razz]

Times square DVD for $119,95, i'll have 2 of them [Big Grin]

[ 18. February 2015, 06:50: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I bet it must be so gutting for these private sellers when some of these movies do eventually come back into print.

$119 dollars they'll say he's having a laugh!

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
A couple of years ago, someone tried to sell the Angel trilogy (as released by Anchor Bay) for over $ 700 !

I believe i paid around 34 euro's for the same set when it first came out in 2003 ! [Big Grin]

Oh well.. it has since been re-released through Image Entertainment (although crammed onto one disc),
so i guess it ain't that special anymore.. but still.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
$700 dollars - I think that's being a bit optimistic,I always liked the first angel movie,in fact i've seen all 3 of them but the first one is the only one I really remember.

I do remember the scene in the second one where the baby,or a doll gets thrown in the air which was pretty amusing but can't remember much else,I do recollect though it was a lot dafter than the first.

Angel 3 well that's just a blank,I don't think it could have been that memorable.

I know there's a 4th one but I've never come across it anywhere.

I wouldn't mind getting a copy of the 1st but I wonder if that triple pack suffers much picture wise from having all 3 films on the same disc.

Either that or I could hold out for a blu ray,it has been released somewhere in Europe to blu already I know.

http://youtu.be/EcbEIwrrA3c - this guy seems like a big fan of angel (1984).

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
My brother has the original Angel triple pack. I own all three on VHS and the first one on dvd (scandi pressing).
The scandi Angel dvd goes for 6 euros at the moment on the finnish ebay-like site.

I own The Kindred UK vhs but haven´t seen it yet. Synapse films was working on getting the rights for a dvd/blu-ray release but that was in 2012.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
The Anchor Bay triple pack is a good release.. a bit skimpy on extra's.. but quality-wise there's nothing to complain.
Nice packaging too, plus an informative booklet. I can't comment on the Image re-release, since i've never seen it.

I don't think the Anchor Bay discs were ever made available as stand-alone releases. Not really sure though.

Shout Factory was going to release Hellhole (1985) on a blu-ray / dvd combopack in 2014..
but for some reason it disappeared from their release schedule. [Frown]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -
Hellhole (1985).

I have hellhole on vhs and it is a lot of fun,a total sleaze fest with a completely bonkers plot.

Pity they've dropped it from there schedule as I would have definitely upgraded to the blu.

Scream factory release new years evil next week,that's also a fun,sleazy 80s horror.

[ 19. February 2015, 02:24: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Yesterday I actually purchased a scream factory combo johnny and that was the 1983 horror - the final terror.

I'm going to try and get deadly eyes aka rats next,have had the vhs for years,want to upgrade to the blu as it's meant to look very decent.

Also on the horizon I want to upgrade my vhs of dangerously close which also comes out next week on blu via olive films.

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The revival of this site and my 80's collecting habits go hand in hand! Been very slack trying to hunt down hard to find titles. But just checked recently and it appears that some titles inexplicably did not make it to DVD at all.

The Joy of sex (1984)
The Wild Life (previously mentioned)
Spellbinder
Skatetown USA
The Running Kind
Liquid Sky
Seven minutes to heaven

A bunch more that escapes me.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good list Riptide. I was thinking about some of those. Joy of Sex just never made it. Spellbinder? Is that w Kelly Preston? If so, I want to say I rented it from Netflix a few years ago.

I definitely want the Angel trilogy. Lisa Lisa had me watch the first one & I loved it. Also heard A Certain Fury is fun from Crash. And Breaking All The Rules is one I've always been curious about.

Never give up the quest!!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I would love to get The Runnin´ Kind and Skatetown USA. They never released those here.

Hunter´s Blood is another i don´t have. The UK tape goes for 11 euros here, anyone happen to know if it´s the uncut version?

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -
Breaking all the rules (1985)

I was going to say you can get a budget DVD of breaking all the rules from the UK like I did about 2 years ago.

Well that was 2 years ago and the price of it now is most certainly not what you would call budget,it has shot up in price.

Hunter's blood atomik by the looks of it if you can get hold of the palace video UK release it looks to be uncut.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/hunters-blood Hunter's blood

Not sure if the original print was pre cut by the MPAA at any point.

[ 19. February 2015, 02:23: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks for the link, warrior. Yeah, it seems to be Palace Premiere release.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -
Certain fury (1985)

Why they have never released certain fury or enemy territory to dvd yet is anyone's guess,both have built up a bit of a small cult following over the years.

I'm sure someone somewhere out there could put them out,even if they did it as one of those limited edition's of a couple of thousand prints like scorpion releasing do.

Unless it's certain copy right issues or just a lack of interest in general for these titles from the distributors I'm surprised neither of these have crept out at some point.

-
Enemy territory (1987)

[ 19. February 2015, 02:21: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
Yesterday I actually purchased a scream factory combo johnny and that was the 1983 horror - the final terror.

I'm going to try and get deadly eyes aka rats next,have had the vhs for years,want to upgrade to the blu as it's meant to look very decent.

Also on the horizon I want to upgrade my vhs of dangerously close which also comes out next week on blu via olive films.

Ah yes, i liked The Final Terror and Deadly Eyes.. There's a Lisa Langlois interview on the latter,
and i believe there's going to be another interview with her on Shout Factory's upcoming Class Of 1984 blu-ray.
I also ordered Dangerously Close on blu-ray.. Never seen it before, so i'm really looking forward to that one.

Another one that seems to have slipped into obscurity is :

-

Kidnapped (1987) starring David Naughton, Barbara Crampton, and supporting roles from Lance LeGault,
Charles Napier, Savage Streets' favourite psycho Robert Dryer, and Kim Evenson (voluptuous Inga from Porky's Revenge).

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I wanted to watch kidnapped when it originally came out on vhs,always liked David naughton,it was released on a label i'm sure known as virgin vision.

It was more or less impossible to find.

Kino lorber release some good stuff johnny,52 pick up is a pretty cool thriller,the first power with Lou diamond Philips is a lot of fun,avenging force,the package,they've not long released a roger Moore movie i can't remember much from and wouldn' t mind checking out again - the naked face.

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to find TILT. In all my years looking for rare vhs i have yet to come acrossa copy. Im sure there is a copy on Ebay but I dont really wanna pay a hi price for it.
Has anybody seen TILT

Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home