iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Cannon Films (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Cannon Films
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Watched this lesser known Cannon/Golan-Globus film Haunted Summer (1988).

Hey, isn't that the exact same story as Ken Russell's Gothic (1986) ? An American remake perhaps ?
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, i believe it is. I haven´t got Gothic but it would be interesting to see another version.
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen Gothic but would like to,Crimes Of Passion is getting the Arrow Blu Ray treatment soon.

That's a great movie!

-

UK bargain label 101 FILMS has just released Firewalker to Blu Ray this week gone and it is one that i have watched a few times over the years but when it comes to trying to remember anthing memorable from it my mind draws a complete blank!

Is It Rubbish?

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It´s rubbish in the purest form [Smile]
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So that's why I can't hardly remember it whatsoever,you would have thought with the Raiders Of The Lost Ark inspired storyline and with the likes of Norris,Gossett and veteran director J Lee Thompson on board plus the fact that it had Cannon Films behind it that it would have been a blast!
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I remember seeing Firewalker in a theatre back when, and realizing that the Go-Go boys and Cannon had burned me once again. In that very good recent documentary on Cannon Films, they make a point that Golan and Globus had this completely out-of-touch mentality about what U.S. audiences wanted. Ripoffs of bigger and better studio pictures are not necessarily bad, but the Cannon guys seemed to think that if you had a couple of big stars, a film that was in focus, and a good poster, that's all you needed to get people in the seats. And for a while, that strategy worked with some of the Bronson and Norris films. But soon audiences wised up and realized that if it came from Cannon, there was an extremely high probability it wasn't going to be good. I know a lot of folks exalt these films--and Cannon did make a few good ones--but at the time, AVCO Embassy and New World were putting out far better, classier products that actually were artistic and didn't rely on established stars and cynicism.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember quite liking Firewalker... but also can't remember anything about it.

Crash, what did AVCO release? Didn't New World release stuff on video as EV? I recall some pretty good stuff from EV.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

EV (Entertainment In video) were great Logan they did put out some really awesome flicks,can you remember this opening logo from there 80s output - http://youtu.be/IGF9SZV2VDM

I've got a feeling EV mostly distributed just out of the UK because I can never recollect seeing any titles released by them overseas!

-

Avco/Embassy were cool as well,I remember in the UK they distributed John Carpenters Escape From New York,The Fog and the original The Howling.

https://youtu.be/8LuxyvMluEY - Embassy Home Entertainment action movies promo.

[ 15. April 2016, 17:55: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AVCO Embassy was the U.S. distributor for almost all of the great 80s horror films: Phantasm, The Fog, Escape from New York, The Howling, Prom Night, Scanners, as well as Eddie and the Cruisers, This is Spinal Tap, and The Sure Thing. I think New World released stuff to home video as New World.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah - Avco / Embassy is 'Embassy' to me - the logo on that video box was instantly recognisable - 'The Howling' is definitely one I associate with it.

I get EV/ New World mixed up a lot because they were releasing the same sort of movies (quality wise) at the same time. I know that NW released things like 'House', and that EV released things like 'Troll', but for some reason I feel like the companies were connected. Maybe Young Warrior is right and EV were just releasing some NW movies in the UK under licence or something.

I miss the days of those indie companies, even if we did get suckered in a lot by the amazing cover art on their video boxes for films which turned out to be turnips.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

EV distributed both House movies in the UK for New World Pictures as well as I believe Ghost Town,Freeway (1988),Space Raiders (1983) and The Wrong Guys,there's probably a few others of note as well.

They had some really cool releases!

[ 17. April 2016, 15:12: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
See - I was sure House was New World! This is confusing! Still, at least it made me watch House again...
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The Cannon Film Guide vol. 1, 1980 - 1984

This book, the first of three volumes, came out last summer.. just thought it might be worth mentioning ! [Smile]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks, Johnny! I will get that as well as the two other Austin Trunick books Teen Movie Hell and Heavy Metal Movies!
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
More Cannon related news :

-

The Go-Go Boys ; The Inside Story of Cannon Films (2014) coming to blu-ray in July !

thenodfather
Master Rewinder
Member # 8732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for thenodfather   Email thenodfather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I can think of that I've seen:

American Ninja series
Revenge Of The Ninja
Ninja III
Avenging Force
Invaders From Mars
Cobra
Over The Top
Mannequin
Seize the Day
Down Twisted
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Going Bananas
Bloodsport
Cyborg
Kickboxer
Lambada
Rescue Me

Posts: 239 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheHoff   Email TheHoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thenodfather:
What I can think of that I've seen:

American Ninja series
Revenge Of The Ninja
Ninja III
Avenging Force
Invaders From Mars
Cobra
Over The Top
Mannequin
Seize the Day
Down Twisted
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Going Bananas
Bloodsport
Cyborg
Kickboxer
Lambada
Rescue Me

Seen most of them, I'd have to check my collection to see which, memory isn't what it used to be but I do sadly remember Superman IV but wish I didn't [Big Grin]
Posts: 315 | Registered: Sep 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thenodfather
Master Rewinder
Member # 8732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for thenodfather   Email thenodfather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor Superman IV, it does get a lot of flack [Big Grin]
Posts: 239 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -

Second volume of The Cannon Film Guide is available now !

It only covers a mere three year period ('85-'87), but as we all know these were Cannon's most productive years,
and therefore the book is almost twice as thick as the previous volume with over 1000 pages !

Again, it's a chronological film-by-film overview with lots of fun trivia scattered throughout each chapter.

For example, Sylvester Stallone's old semi-truck from Over The Top (1987) was used again the following year in
the Charles Bronson action film Messenger Of Death, made a third appearance (complete with the 'Hawk Hauling'
logo still visible) in The Wizard (1989), and turned up yet again in Tank Girl (1995).. Quite a career ! [Smile]

Essential for any 80s movies fan !

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey that looks awesome Johnny! Thanks for the heads-up.
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home